What are the probs with rush?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

007flint

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the probs with Rush I've read about in these forums. Our dept chair actually highly recomends Rush's anesthesia program. I was planning to do a rotation there this fall. Any input would be great.

Members don't see this ad.

007flint said:
What are the probs with Rush I've read about in these forums. Our dept chair actually highly recomends Rush's anesthesia program. I was planning to do a rotation there this fall. Any input would be great.

You work very long hours for an anesthesia program (pushen 80 more than not I believe). Less reading time. Less focus on academics in favor of cranken out more cases. Hospital is quite busy to say the least. Ancillary who?

Stable program that has been around forever. If you want to train in Chicago its solid. Insane case load. Has an excellent local rep from an employers view point. If Chicago is not a major priority perhaps looking towards other programs with a more "resident friendly" atmosphere would be wise.

Do a search on this forum for Rush. There's plenty o' opinions, well founded and not, to sift through. Never the less I'll be there in just over 2 months. I'll dump the inside poop once I'm...well, inside.

That being said I have a free weekend to attend to. :smuggrin:

No problems with Rush that I could see. All my fellow residents went to any fellowship they wanted (including several at Harvard), got lucrative jobs wherever they wanted and are highly sought after post-residency. You have to work hard - WAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! That's about the only "negative".

:)