Sea Urchin Q./ TopScore

Started by sunphish
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

sunphish

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know what the "sea urchin question" is? (the guy who just posted "Aced the DAT" mentioned that it was on the test and I was hoping someone could help me out.
I am taking the DAT on Monday and as a final practice I took a TopScore test...anyone familiar with these? Holy Hell, it kicked my ass in every possible direction. I have heard that it is much more difficult that the real test, but any other feedback would be nice, since I am starting to very-much-slightly freak out. It seemed to be way harder than any Kaplan or Barrons test.

Thanks!
 
yeah I had heard a lot about that question also before my exam... the question is something like "what is the purpose of the fertilization membrane in sea urchins" - answer: prevent more than one sperm from fertilizing the egg....


hope that helps!
 
sunphish said:
Does anyone know what the "sea urchin question" is? (the guy who just posted "Aced the DAT" mentioned that it was on the test and I was hoping someone could help me out.
I am taking the DAT on Monday and as a final practice I took a TopScore test...anyone familiar with these? Holy Hell, it kicked my ass in every possible direction. I have heard that it is much more difficult that the real test, but any other feedback would be nice, since I am starting to very-much-slightly freak out. It seemed to be way harder than any Kaplan or Barrons test.

Thanks!

Topscore does seem to be a little harder than the real deal! Most people move up a point to a few points on the AA. Good luck with your test on Monday!
 
sunphish said:
Does anyone know what the "sea urchin question" is? (the guy who just posted "Aced the DAT" mentioned that it was on the test and I was hoping someone could help me out.
I am taking the DAT on Monday and as a final practice I took a TopScore test...anyone familiar with these? Holy Hell, it kicked my ass in every possible direction. I have heard that it is much more difficult that the real test, but any other feedback would be nice, since I am starting to very-much-slightly freak out. It seemed to be way harder than any Kaplan or Barrons test.

Thanks!
I thought barron's pat was harder than topscore. I dont think topscore was bad. Was scoring 17-25's in some sections, however I am really bad at aperture passing, so my PAT score went down a lot in Barron.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Look at Campbell page 1000 on sea urchin fertilization. Basically, after the sperm enters the nucleus, there's this cortical reaction cortical granules fuse with the egg membrane. This separates the vitelline layer from the plasma membrane and prevents polyspermy.
 
Took the DAT today, and yes, the sea urchin question was on it - thank you so much!!! I am so glad it's finally over! 🙂

Coolfishdent said:
yeah I had heard a lot about that question also before my exam... the question is something like "what is the purpose of the fertilization membrane in sea urchins" - answer: prevent more than one sperm from fertilizing the egg....


hope that helps!