how to find the DO in LA to shadow?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tammy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I live in LA and I am trying to find a DO to shadow. I already tried some DO offices near my home but they don't want any volunteers.
So anybody know DO's that allow a student to shadow or volunteer in LA area?
Is there any proper way to ask for permission?

thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

What I did was look up the doctors listed in my insurance plan. I then singled out the DO's and put them down on a list with their phone numbers and started calling, starting from the ones who graduated from the school I wanted to go to (so that I could send a good LOR to that school).

I got lucky that the first person I called was young and very willing to let me shadow him. He was also new in town so he had very few patients which means he spent most of his time, while I was there, telling me what to expect in med school and beyond.

As far as how to ask, I just told the secretary that I was a pre-med student looking to shadow or volunteer my time for a DO. Usually they'll pass the message along and see what happens. Sometimes they might want some kind of resume to show them of your serious intent to go to med school.

Good luck!

Open the phone book...go to the physician listings. Call the offices and explain your situation. Keep doing it until you hit one that works. Thats how I did it. BTW, Im from LA but did my thing in Phoenix because I was living there at the time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you mean Louisiana or Los Angeles? If Los Angeles, then the easiest way is to call Western University and ask them if they can help you find a DO to shadow. From what I've heard they're pretty good at hooking people up.

Ive heard people call lower Alabama (LA) also.

LA

Los Angeles?
Louisiana?
Lower Alabama?
Little Atlanta?
Lower Appalachia?

The great mystery!!!!

yeah, i was on an interview in west virginia, said that i was from la, and someone thought i meant lower alabama!

anyway, sarang, what i did was call up the hospitals in the downtown los angeles area. i found that white memorial hospital had DOs, but i was a pain in the butt trying to volunteer there. good luck!

Starting in September, I will be doing some 4th year rotations at White Memorial Medical Center. If I can do anything to help, please let me know. There are other DOs there and students. Contact medical education at the hospital and explain your situation.

I seem to be having trouble finding someone to shadow here in Dallas Texas. I have a pain management DO that I use for neck pain, but he wont accept you unless you are already a DO, said it was somethinga about "patient confidentiality"
Any help would be most appreciated...Thanks :confused: :confused: