What is the sea urchin question?

Started by LinhN
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

LinhN

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi guys,

What is the sea urchin question I've been hearing so much about? What are the choices and the answer.

Thanks,
Linh Nguyen
 
echinodermata

the question is about the function of the protective barrier outside of the egg of the sea urchin and the answer is to block it from multiple sperm fertilization (polyspermy).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
786mine...are you muslim? The reason I ask is cuz in India a lot of muslim people have 786 written on their house, and I always wondered what it stood for. Of course this has nothing to do with DAT, but knowledge outside of DAT can't hurt.
 
mybaa said:
786mine...are you muslim? The reason I ask is cuz in India a lot of muslim people have 786 written on their house, and I always wondered what it stood for. Of course this has nothing to do with DAT, but knowledge outside of DAT can't hurt.


I thought india had hindus not muslims.
 
legaia said:
I thought india had hindus not muslims.

india has the 2nd largest muslim population in the world after indonesia.....but there are more hindus in india....<--its a huge population over a billion I think, so they have a lot of both
 
legaia said:
I thought india had hindus not muslims.
no!

dWiz said:
india has the 2nd largest muslim population in the world after indonesia.....but there are more hindus in india....<--its a huge population over a billion I think, so they have a lot of both

correct. there are about 800 million hindus in india - roughly 81% the the population

ISU_Steve said:
I believe the 786 refers to the year Mohammed (pardon me if I misspelled that) captured Mecca. But I could be wrong.....

incorrect, he did that in 630AD

mybaa said:
786mine...are you muslim? The reason I ask is cuz in India a lot of muslim people have 786 written on their house, and I always wondered what it stood for. Of course this has nothing to do with DAT, but knowledge outside of DAT can't hurt.

"786" is the total value of the letters of "Bismillah al-Rahman al-Rahim". In Arabic there are two methods of arranging letters. One method is the most common method known as the alphabetical method. Here we begin with Alif, ba, ta, tha etc. The other method is known as the Abjad numerals' method or ordinal method. In this method each letter has an arithmetic value assigned to it from one to one thousand. The letters are arranged in the following order: Abjad, Hawwaz, Hutti, Kalaman, Sa'fas, Qarshat, Sakhaz, Zazagh. This arrangement was done, most probably in the 3rd century of Hijrah during the 'Abbasid period, following other Semitic languages such as Phoenician, Aramaic, Hebrew, Syriac, Chaldean etc.

If you take the numeric values of all the letters of the Basmalah, according to the Abjad order, the total will be 786. In the Indian subcontinent the Abjad numerals became quite popular. Some people, mostly in India and Pakistan, use 786 as a substitute for Bismillah. They write this number to avoid writing the name of Allah or the Qur'anic verses on ordinary papers. This practice is not from the time of Muhammad and is not universally accepted by Muslims.