Test on Interview Date at Mercy (Bronx)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

usmlequestion

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just got the invite from Our Lady of Mercy Medical Center in the Bronx for Internal Medicine, saying they have a one hour basic clinical exam. Anybody who went through this before? Any advice is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Pass on that program. You already have enough to think about without a program deciding to provide a written pimp session on an interview. I remember a friend of mine interviewing for ophthamology at Loma Linda many, many moons ago and coming back to tell me that they had a skills lab set up with microsutures, microscopes, and pig eyes in place for the applicants to try and suture small incisions. If you didn't demonstrate reasonable proficiency, you were separated from the "good" students and given an abridged interview.

I too would recommend passing on this program. Not because of any philosopical problem I have with pimping, but because of what it says about the quality of people applying to that program.

I live in NY, and I would be willing to bet that this program is filled with foreign grads with questionable histories and suspect english skills. If the program director feels that the applicant pool is so weak that he needs to administer a "basic clinical test" , I would steer clear of that program. (Although presumably, the USMLE exams are supposed to function as a basic clinical test).