Corporate vs. Independent EM Groups

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docB

Chronically painful
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
A big question that faces each EM resident is what kind of job they want to get upon graduation. You'll likely hear a lot of talk about corporate EM groups vs. independent groups. What is this distinction all about?

Corporate groups are those that are managed by corporations as opposed to being run by the physicians in the group. EmCare is one of the prototypical corporate EM groups. Others include EPMG, Team Helth and the defunct PhyAmerica. EmCare is a large company that manages over 300 ER contracts. In other words >300 hospitals have agreements with EmCare to staff their ERs. It is based in Dallas but holds contracts in many states.

Independent groups exist all over the place. They are made up of a group of doctors who have formed some sort of partnership and staff ERs (usually a small number like one or two but sometimes more). Often there is one or a few primary contract holders and everyone else is technically a sub contractor. Most indie groups have members who are partners and others who are not, usually the newer guys.

So how do these types of groups really differ? Let's break it down along some specific areas:

Money
First and foremost the differences revolve around money. Indie groups bill for their services and everything they make that doesn't go to overhead (admin costs, billing costs, etc.) goes to the docs. Bear in mind that indie groups may not distribute this money evenly across the docs. For example the senior partners may take the lion's share.

With corporate groups the money from billing is collected by the corporation and then money is paid to the physician groups. The company takes more than just the cost of overhead and keeps it as profit. This profit is then distributed among stockholders in the corporation.

Finances
By this I mean the economic standing and practices of the group. Not just the compensation. With corporate groups you don't get to see the books. The company could be wasting money which affects what's left over for you (after they take their profits which don't tend to go down).

Indie groups usually open the books to the partners.

Malpractice
In general the corporate groups provide malpractice for their docs.

For indie groups some provide it and some don't. It's highly variable.

Autonomy
In a corporate group you can have some input at the local level but it's really difficult to have any serious pull at the corporate level. You are much more of a worker bee in a corporate group.

In an indie group, once you have achieved partner status, you have a voice in the decisions of the group. This is the reason for the frequently used term democratic group.

Administrative Responsibilities
Corporate groups have many of the admin areas handled for the local group. It makes it more likely that you can be free from any admin responsibilities if you want to.

Most indie groups require some admin work from their docs because they have to do it all locally. This usually takes the form of having to do CQI, EMS, compliance, utilization review and so on.

Buy In
Most indie groups require new docs to buy into the group with cash or with lower pay and crappy hours for some length of time. The length of time and general pain of the buy in vary dramatically from group to group. Once you achieve partner status then you often become eligible for the profit sharing in the group.

Corporate groups don't do this as much. Some do to some degree but as a rule not as much as the indies.

So what about AAEM and their strong anti-corporate EM stance?
AAEM has some very good points. They argue that it is morally and ethically wrong for any EP to have their fees taken by a corporation and paid to stockholders. They argue that all docs should get all of their fees less overhead and have full access to their books. They also are rabidly opposed to the anticompetitive clauses put into contracts by the corporate groups. The frequently said things like if you leave the group you can't work within 100 miles of the contract site for 2 years.

Disclaimer: I work for EmCare. In general I like it but you've got to understand what you give up by working for a corporate group. My feeling is that corporate groups are not evil, they're just different with a whole set of plusses and minuses.

Members don't see this ad.

As a med student seriously considering EM, I find all of these posts extremely educational and helpful. The more info my wife and I have as we make our important decisions, the better. Thanks, docb for taking time to enlighten all of us. Where else would we get this info without having to discern the provider's agenda and constantly wondering about its honesty?

thanks for this very useful post!

do you mind sharing your reasons for going the corporate route? Like you said, there are positives and negatives to each model--I'd just like to hear your opinion.

Members don't see this ad :)
I went corporate for several reasons. All of them were pragmatic rather than ideological.
-The group offered me a job.
-It was in a place I was interested in moving to.
-The pay was good.
-The malpractice was relatively good (EmCare is self insured for med mal so we pay less than similar groups). Note that the corporate self insured thing can be dangerous. PhyAmerica, a corporate group that was self insured, went belly up and the malpractice fund got depleted and a lot of docs were hung out to dry.
-I don't have to have any admin responsibilities (I do but that was by choice).

In the end these things were worth more to me than the things you get in an indie group.

docB said:
Disclaimer: I work for EmCare.

Aren't y'all about to go public? Any thoughts on how this might effect the pit level doc?

Take care,
Jeff

Jeff698 said:
Aren't y'all about to go public? Any thoughts on how this might effect the pit level doc?

Take care,
Jeff
I don't think it will change things for us that much. As I mentioned before the corporation skimms off the top of our billing. this will really just change the way that money gets divided up.

Soup,

I didn't know you were seriously interested in EM. Coolness :)

Most indie groups require new docs to buy into the group with cash or with lower pay and crappy hours for some length of time.

Judging by this, I'm thinking the best way to go is start in a corporate group, save up some cash, then by into a private group?

Also, what opportunities (if any) exist for the EM doc who wants to work as an independent contractor of sorts? Can he/she create their own practice, or are they realistically limited to joining existing groups?

ForbiddenComma said:
Judging by this, I'm thinking the best way to go is start in a corporate group, save up some cash, then by into a private group?
Maybe. That also solves the problem of many groups not hiring fresh grads. They often like seasoned docs better so if you had some experience you'd be better off. In many groups the buy in isn't cash (for some it is but for most it isn't). Often you just get all the nights and weekends for some length of time and you are shut out of the partnership/profit sharing hierarchy for a length of time. This time is usually 1-2 years. If it's more than that be suspicious. You also have to be careful that you don't get suckered. There's the old ploy where a group hires a newbie to work the crap shifts then when partnership time comes around they get told that the group doesn't want to expand the partnership at this time or something and they get dumped. The newbie goes away mad but wiser and the group goes out and hires someone else to scam. One way to avoid falling into that is to ask if partnership is gaurenteed or just a possibility and what the parameters are. You can also ask who the most recent partners are and who all the recent hires are. If you notice that the group hires people but hasn't added a partner for a long time be afraid.

ForbiddenComma said:
Also, what opportunities (if any) exist for the EM doc who wants to work as an independent contractor of sorts? Can he/she create their own practice, or are they realistically limited to joining existing groups?

You can work as an independent contractor in many groups. Independent contractor status mainly means you are paid like a business entity rather than an employee. This can often be turned to your advantage in terms of taxes but you have to know what you are doing or have a good accountant.

If what you mean by independent contractor is that you go out and solicit hospitals to work in their EDs without being in a group then no you can't do that. I never heard of a hospital staffing its ED by contracting with individual physicians seperately. That would be too difficult. They only contract with groups.

You could open your own doc in the box but then you're doing urgent care and not EM.

I agree with DocB.....I just started my new job in a completely democratic, open book group (AAEM's wet dream). I have to "pay" in a couple of ways.....My partnership track is 2 years. My shift requirement for "full time" is 12 8hr shifts per month. Out of those, I have do do 6 overnights. The rest are split into day and evening. After 2 years, I will be doing equal amounts of each shift.

The salary is fee based (my collections minus group overhead costs. I start off at collecting 80% of my collections, and it goes up 5% each 6 mos until I hit 100% at 2 yrs. The group overhead costs for each doc works out to around $5k/mo give or take. Luckily, we have an excellent payor mix, so our collections are pretty high...

I also have to pay for my malpractice, which in CA is not so bad.....It tops off around $18k/yr. My med/dental is covered by my wife's job. I have to pay diability and life.

This sounds pretty rough, but even after all is said and done, my take home $ will still be WAY ahead (nearly double) of what I was making in my previous job, and working 1/3 less shifts.

My current group won't hire new grads as well, and you pretty much have to know someone in the group to get hired, although not 100% necessary. They also want me to get on at least one hospital committee, which I don't mind doing...

One downside is that this is such a great contract, that the big corporate groups try every 2 yrs to take over the contract. So come contract time, people in the group tend to get a little stressed out. One good thing is that my group has had this contract for over 25 yrs, so it has been somewhat atabe in that aspect.....

Just figured I would show the other side of the coin......

Mark

The other interesting thing about Spyder's case is that he left Kaiser to go independent. Clearly for him the advantages of the indie group outweigh the corporate group. Kaiser is basically a corporate group in CA but it is a hybrid in that it tries to give its docs some of the benefits of an indie group. It never has to worry about contracts because the docs are staffing the Kaiser hospitals. They don't try to go out and get other contracts and no one can threaten them. They offer their docs reasonable pay and really good benefits. Job wise Kaiser has a lot to offer. Half of my residency class went to Kaiser.

One of the downsides of Kaiser is that because they primarily see Kaiser members (patients insured by Kaiser) their payer mix is incredible so their compensation should actually be better than it is. However, like any corporate group money gets skimmed off the top. I don't remember if Kaiser is non-profit or not. It doesn't really matter to the doc in the pit. If it's for profit then it goes to the stockholders and if it's non-profit it goes back into the company.

Kaiser as an entity is an interesting story. Back during World War II Kaiser Aluminum built planes and boats for the war effort. It was huge and it needed a way to provide healthcare for its legions of workers. It started its own network of doctors and hospitals because it decided it could provide the care cheaper itself rather than contracting out with existing providers and hospitals. Over time the healthcare system grew and the aluminum business shriveled. Now only the healthcare system remains.

(PS Spyder - If I'm off on any of this feel free to correct me.)

docB said:
The other interesting thing about Spyder's case is that he left Kaiser to go independent. Clearly for him the advantages of the indie group outweigh the corporate group. Kaiser is basically a corporate group in CA but it is a hybrid in that it tries to give its docs some of the benefits of an indie group. It never has to worry about contracts because the docs are staffing the Kaiser hospitals. They don't try to go out and get other contracts and no one can threaten them. They offer their docs reasonable pay and really good benefits. Job wise Kaiser has a lot to offer. Half of my residency class went to Kaiser.

One of the downsides of Kaiser is that because they primarily see Kaiser members (patients insured by Kaiser) their payer mix is incredible so their compensation should actually be better than it is. However, like any corporate group money gets skimmed off the top. I don't remember if Kaiser is non-profit or not. It doesn't really matter to the doc in the pit. If it's for profit then it goes to the stockholders and if it's non-profit it goes back into the company.

Kaiser as an entity is an interesting story. Back during World War II Kaiser Aluminum built planes and boats for the war effort. It was huge and it needed a way to provide healthcare for its legions of workers. It started its own network of doctors and hospitals because it decided it could provide the care cheaper itself rather than contracting out with existing providers and hospitals. Over time the healthcare system grew and the aluminum business shriveled. Now only the healthcare system remains.

(PS Spyder - If I'm off on any of this feel free to correct me.)

Kaiser is a great place to work, in general. All of what DocB says is correct. Kaiser is split into 2 entities. First is the Kaiser Health Foundation, which is a non-profit org that runs all the hospitals, clinics, etc. Second are the medical groups, consisting of the physicians, which are "for profit" corps. There are many regions of Kaiser, each of which has its own medical group. For example, in NoCal, TPMG is the medical group vs SoCal with SCPMG. Hawaii, Oregon, Colorado, and Georgia to name a few, all have their own medical groups. So in general, once you employed by one group, you can not do a lateral transfer to another group. You will have to start from scratch toward partnership, although you will get credit for your pension.

The stability is great, and if one makes a 20-30 yr career there, then the pay over a lifetime is pretty good in that you will get a pension in your retirement...You do get good benefit. The caveat, however, is that some of them (ie, health insurance) are reported as imputed income. That means that they are reported as income on your W2, thus you must pay income tax on them. Since Kaiser insuance is very expensive, the tax you pay for your insurance can pay for premiums with other insurance companies, such as Blue Cross...

I enjoyed many things at Kaiser, such as the coverage. We had up to 7 docs on at any given time in our ED, and would each see in the 1.3-1.5 pts/hr. We had a "golden hour", with no patients being assigned in your last hour, so you can clean up and minimize the signout pain....In-house IM, OB, surg, peds, anesth, etc....This made life pretty easy....

Kaiser definetly has its advantages, and is a great place to spend a career.