Baylor College of Medicine Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

latinfridley

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is for all of the BCM acceptees. I am a 1st year at BCM, and used SDN extensively when applying to medical schools, so i'm giving back. If anyone has any questions on BCM, feel free to ask. Congrats to those who have been accepted to date! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

latinfridley said:
This is for all of the BCM acceptees. I am a 1st year at BCM, and used SDN extensively when applying to medical schools, so i'm giving back. If anyone has any questions on BCM, feel free to ask. Congrats to those who have been accepted to date! :thumbup:

Interviewing at Baylor this Friday! Can't wait! Baylor is absolutely my top choice!!!

Applied back in August... Any idea of how the interveiw selection process works? Do you know of anyone that still got an interview serveral months after being confirmed complete?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Latinfridley -
I got my acceptance to Baylor last Friday and I'm pretty excited about it. I wasn't too thrilled at the idea of the place before I went to the interview, but as the day went on it seemed more and more like it would be a good fit (particularly the curriculum, not so much the weather in Houston. . .) Now that I'm accepted I've withdrawn from quite a few schools and it seems like Baylor keeps climbing the list the more places I visit (and decide I don't like - Columbia for example). Soooo - what can you tell me to sell me on the place? Are you happy with your choice? Why'd you decide to go there over other places you might have been accepted? Any more info you could give would be MUCHLY appreciated - and I figure here is better than in PMs cuz then other people can see it. ;)

Thanks!

MesoCompound said:
Interviewing at Baylor this Friday! Can't wait! Baylor is absolutely my top choice!!!

Good luck. I'm sure you'll do fine.

magic_drm said:
Applied back in August... Any idea of how the interveiw selection process works? Do you know of anyone that still got an interview serveral months after being confirmed complete?

So, its a rolling interview process, meaning that once you have an interview you're in the running for an acceptance every 2 or so weeks. They put you in a big ranked list after the interview and every 2 weeks they take some of the top of the list and call them up to offer acceptance.
As far as how long it would take to get an interview: it ain't over til' its over, meaning that there is always a chance of getting an interview up until probably about early spring (Feb. or Mar. i think) when the admissions comittee tries to wait and sort out whos going to accept their offer and who is not before offering any more interviews.

I currently work with a lot of 4th year Baylor students, and they all tell me the program has been AWESOME. I haven't met an unhappy student from there.

Very glad for you guys who are accepted or currently interviewing.

seilienne said:
Hey Latinfridley -
I got my acceptance to Baylor last Friday and I'm pretty excited about it. I wasn't too thrilled at the idea of the place before I went to the interview, but as the day went on it seemed more and more like it would be a good fit (particularly the curriculum, not so much the weather in Houston. . .) Now that I'm accepted I've withdrawn from quite a few schools and it seems like Baylor keeps climbing the list the more places I visit (and decide I don't like - Columbia for example). Soooo - what can you tell me to sell me on the place? Are you happy with your choice? Why'd you decide to go there over other places you might have been accepted? Any more info you could give would be MUCHLY appreciated - and I figure here is better than in PMs cuz then other people can see it. ;)

Thanks!

Oh, let me count the ways:
1) 1.5 years of preclincal courses
2) Plenty of non curriculum elective and non-elective opportunities
3) many great volunteer opportunites during your pre-clinical courses
4) you learn early on how to give H&P's
5) we have a cool preceptorship program during the preclincal program where you actually do H&P's on patients at an assigned preceptors office (very cool)
6) all lectures are recorded on video, and can be readily downloaded in real media format to view at your leisure
7) many opportunities to hear great presentations and seminars from famous people in medicine, not just at BCM but at UTH MedSchool and other TMC facilities.
8) one of the largest med centers in the western hemisphere (#2 i think?)
9) several very dedicated teaching faculty who are just fantastic teachers
10) tons of opportunities to join interest groups
11) there are many things to do in houston outside of school
12) fantastic tuition rates
13) fantastic scholarship opportunities
14) i could go on...... :D

Does anyone know when the next round of acceptances will go out? Lol, maybe I should just stop waiting around the phone. What did you do during the wait last year latinfridley?

I'm going to Baylor!!! Got my call at 7:04pm Friday October 28, 2005!!!!!

prettygirl1908 said:

Congratulations!! That's great news! :)

prettygirl1908 said:

yea :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
prettygirl1908 said:

When was your Baylor interview...mine was the 21st of October

prettygirl1908 said:

Congrat!!!!! I'm from UT Austin also, but so far no news for me yet. But I'm definitely soooo happy for you~ Let's hope I can join you with the good news some time in the future~~~

gujuDoc said:
CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :clap: :clap: :clap:

So are you going to withdraw from the other Tx schools you interviewed at??? Or are you going wait and see what happens, just for the sake of it??

Just curious.

i think i'm going to withdraw from the texas match. how do i go about doing that?

prettygirl1908 said:
i think i'm going to withdraw from the texas match. how do i go about doing that?

notify the Texas application service at [email protected]

I think you might have to write a letter to them afterward to confirm it, but I'd ask how you'd go about it in the email.

congrats again!

Any one hear from Baylor lately? My guess is since they've called people the last two Fridays (in the evening time after Adcom met on the interview days 10/21 and 10/28), and since there is an interview day this Friday (11/4), they will be calling people this Friday night. Anyone know any better information than that? It seems like at the moment they haven't accepted a whole lot of people.

hobbesiscool said:
Any one hear from Baylor lately? My guess is since they've called people the last two Fridays (in the evening time after Adcom met on the interview days 10/21 and 10/28), and since there is an interview day this Friday (11/4), they will be calling people this Friday night. Anyone know any better information than that? It seems like at the moment they haven't accepted a whole lot of people.

It seems like they only call on Fridays. And when they call, it's late (after 5 PM.)

QofQuimica said:
It seems like they only call on Fridays. And when they call, it's late (after 5 PM.)

Yeah when I got my call last year, it was on a Friday at 9pm from Dr Bradshaw. =)

Good luck, people. If ya have any questions, just shoot.

QofQuimica said:

Not necessarily. I was called on a Tuesday at about 4pm. While I was waiting, though, I tried to find a pattern of the calls, and it turns out there was none.

I had my interview last week, 10/28. When I was there they told me they needed a copy of my transcripts, which I have since mailed. I remember someone saying something like they needed the transcripts before they could offer me position. So does that mean they won't call to let me know I was accepted (assuming I had been) until they get the transcripts? I know its just a matter of a week or so, but I get nervous about so much paper work, esp. considereing I have 3 transripts to send.

....Whats happening to me, I was never so paranoid\anal before I applied to medical school. :(

Bernito said:
I had my interview last week, 10/28. When I was there they told me they needed a copy of my transcripts, which I have since mailed. I remember someone saying something like they needed the transcripts before they could offer me position. So does that mean they won't call to let me know I was accepted (assuming I had been) until they get the transcripts? I know its just a matter of a week or so, but I get nervous about so much paper work, esp. considereing I have 3 transripts to send.

....Whats happening to me, I was never so paranoid\anal before I applied to medical school. :(

Also, for anyone that still has a scheduled interview with Baylor I suggest sending your transcripts now so your file is complete beforehand. Apparently what they get from AMCAS is not enough.

Its Friday...

Could somebody tell me whether the interview invitations are send out by email or postal mail? Thanks much.

GOOD LUCK ALL! (P.S. Dr. Michael is the nicest guy EVER)

ms. a said:
Not necessarily. I was called on a Tuesday at about 4pm. While I was waiting, though, I tried to find a pattern of the calls, and it turns out there was none.

Ok, so let me qualify and say that for c/o 2010, it seems like all the calls have been made on Fri. evenings. For those of you waiting today, good :luck: !

mag68 said:
Could somebody tell me whether the interview invitations are send out by email or postal mail? Thanks much.

I know people who have gotten email invitations.

No action this Friday? Odd.

QofQuimica said:
Ok, so let me qualify and say that for c/o 2010, it seems like all the calls have been made on Fri. evenings. For those of you waiting today, good :luck: !

Last year, all the acceptance calls in the beginning (October 15-Decemberish) seemed to be on friday nights, but then it started just being whenever.....I got my call on a Wednesday evening at 10pm.

Best of luck guys...Baylor is an AWESOME school.

runner1979 said:
Last year, all the acceptance calls in the beginning (October 15-Decemberish) seemed to be on friday nights, but then it started just being whenever.....I got my call on a Wednesday evening at 10pm.

Best of luck guys...Baylor is an AWESOME school.

Does anyone know about financial aid packets at Baylor? I heard that Baylor ususally underestimates the amount of money their MS needs. So, their students end up having to rely on other sources.

ClearDay said:
Does anyone know about financial aid packets at Baylor? I heard that Baylor ususally underestimates the amount of money their MS needs. So, their students end up having to rely on other sources.

They figure in all tution and fees plus a little more than $1500 a month in living expenses. If you can't live in Houston on $1500 a month then you have some serious money management problems.

How does Baylor handle rejections? Are there any yet? I didn't see any on the Wall of Shame....so I was just wondering

kaffy said:
How does Baylor handle rejections? Are there any yet? I didn't see any on the Wall of Shame....so I was just wondering

The way I understand it, they just rank order people. Each interview day, they add people to the list. Sometimes they take people off the top. Everyone else is still on the list.

MoosePilot said:
The way I understand it, they just rank order people. Each interview day, they add people to the list. Sometimes they take people off the top. Everyone else is still on the list.

ok, thanks. When do they notify people that they are no longer being considered (for interview or acceptance)

kaffy said:
ok, thanks. When do they notify people that they are no longer being considered (for interview or acceptance)

I don't know. I'd like to know that. I'd also like to know whether we can get a general idea where we are on the list. I think they'd be hesitant to say, because someone might take a comment like, "You're in the top third." as some sort of admissions guarantee, but it would be amazingly helpful.

MoosePilot said:
I don't know. I'd like to know that. I'd also like to know whether we can get a general idea where we are on the list. I think they'd be hesitant to say, because someone might take a comment like, "You're in the top third." as some sort of admissions guarantee, but it would be amazingly helpful.

Yes. I would also like to know what is going on in that mysterious meeting room where we are reduced to a few pieces of paper. I feel really helpless not knowing anything...

SteveUTexas said:
They figure in all tution and fees plus a little more than $1500 a month in living expenses. If you can't live in Houston on $1500 a month then you have some serious money management problems.

Thanks.
What about 4th year? Do they factor in residency app. expenses? (app. fee, travel expenses)?

MoosePilot said:

I read somewhere that Baylor doesn't send rejection letters. I'm sure they love to keep us pre-med's wondering.

ClearDay said:
I read somewhere that Baylor doesn't send rejection letters. I'm sure they love to keep us pre-med's wondering.

So, if you don't hear something by some date, then you can assume they hate you? :( Seriously, though, they won't tell you anything if you are rejected?

Apparently they do send out rejection letters in the spring. I've seen some mdapplicants profiles that received March rejections. As far as when you should hear from them, no news isn't necessarily bad news. If they haven't rejected you, then you should assume that they're still considering you.

Edit: those rejections I saw were post-secondary, not post-interview. I don't know when or if they reject people post-interview.

kaffy said:
So, if you don't hear something by some date, then you can assume they hate you? :( Seriously, though, they won't tell you anything if you are rejected?

An MS4 at Baylor told me he didn't get accepted until May. So, there's hope until the very end.

ClearDay said:
An MS4 at Baylor told me he didn't get accepted until May. So, there's hope until the very end.

Well that is encouraging. Do you know when he interviewed? Thanks.

kaffy said:
Well that is encouraging. Do you know when he interviewed? Thanks.

I work with a Baylor MS4 who was interviewed in February and accepted in March.

QofQuimica said:
Apparently they do send out rejection letters in the spring. I've seen some mdapplicants profiles that received March rejections. As far as when you should hear from them, no news isn't necessarily bad news. If they haven't rejected you, then you should assume that they're still considering you.

Edit: those rejections I saw were post-secondary, not post-interview. I don't know when or if they reject people post-interview.

They reject people post-interview when the ENTIRE class is filled. I'd say ppl should receive letters in late late July or early August. Ppl holding spots at other tx schools past June 15 are basically rejecte, although they won't receive official word until later in the summer