work experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jjunyi83

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi, what are some examples of work experience?

I am currently volunteering in Health Educator program at my school but

is this enough? or do I need to have hospital work experience?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

jjunyi83 said:

thanks
i am assuming you are applying for an MPH.
any work can be shown as work experience.its more important how you tie it in with what you want to do..Eg- As a Health educator in your school(what's that by the way?), you could make a pretty strong case for wanting to go into a Community Health Practices specialization. actually, you can just about justify an interest any field with what you learnt from being a Health Educator. just make that jump a logically plausible one.

jjunyi83 said:

thanks

Hihi!

Work experience is broad just like public health is. It can range from working in hospital administration, to working in a laboratory (for environmental health applicants), to something community-based such as working for planned parenthood. I don't think it needs to be at a hospital at all, mine surely wasn't. I think your experience is just fine.

What is important is it is related to public health and it shows that you are committed to performing work that is either altruistic or beneficial to other people. I think public health adcoms place a high emphasis on these qualities as well as integrity and character since much of what public health does requires these things.