George Washington School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PittMedicine

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would a 7VR, 12PS, M, 11BS (30M) with a 4.0 GPA and decent extracurr. be iffy, competitve, very competitve, or guaranteed (supposing I aced the interview)?

It's my second choice to UPitt School of Medicine.

Thanks for the input.

Members don't see this ad.

:scared:
Is anyone there?
:scared:

i think you'd be competitive. good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
PittMedicine said:
Would a 7VR, 12PS, M, 11BS (30M) with a 4.0 GPA and decent extracurr. be iffy, competitve, very competitve, or guaranteed (supposing I aced the interview)?

It's my second choice to UPitt School of Medicine.

Thanks for the input.

There are no guarantees when it comes to med school admissions.

What kind of "decent ECs"?-- Research? Medical research? Volunteering? Medical Volunteering? Shadowing? EMS? President of the Friday Nite Drink-til-you-Puke Club? The specifics are important.

Your MCAT has good science, but mediocre writing/verbal skills. The 2 kind of off-set each other as far as "guaranteeing" your admission.

Your 4.0-- is that in Biology? Speech Communications? Molecular Biophysics?Swimming Pool Management? Did you take just the bare minimum of courses to cover your pre-reqs or did you expand out, challenge yourself and succeed greatly with a 4.0? Once again, the specifics are important.

From the little bit of info, my speculation would be: providing you aced the interview, you would be a solid applicant for GW. Depending on the specifics of your app. package (mentioned above), you seem to be a solid candidate for many schools.

Take a step back, look at your details, and give yourself a good, hard, objective look-- you'll get your answer.
Good luck, :luck:
PBM

so hard to say considering they get 9,000 applications a year. but i would put you as competitve/very competitive. that 4.0 is the hotness
-mota

Of your choices, I would guess that you would be "competitive" to "very competitive". I'm assuming that they've already offered you an interview, from the tone of your post.

I really have no idea how that pick the people that they interview and accept or reject. I know they must have criteria, and it seems, at least to me, like they put more weight on medical experiences, volunteering and other extra curricular activities. Numbers-wise you're above average for both, a lot above average for the GPA (compared to the matriculated class this past year). As for the interview, if you can hold a conversation with another person, then you'll do well. The interviews are very low stress.

I'd like to know who sits there and decides who to interview. It's such a crapshoot that I think they just draw numbers out of a hat. there's probably an admissions office bet going.

I've also noticed that GW seems to put a ton of weight on clinical and volunteering experience. More so than lots of other schools, I guess.

On another note, is it even remotely possible that GW has an MCAT (upper) cutoff score?

I seriously think GW decides who gets interviews by pulling it out of a hat. My scores are totally above their averages and Im on hold! 31S-11VR,11BS,9PS & 3.9 GPA What the f-k? And its one of my top schools....

Do they put ppl on hold who they dont think will go there?

Anyone have any info!

minnie2240 said:
I seriously think GW decides who gets interviews by pulling it out of a hat. My scores are totally above their averages and Im on hold! 31S-11VR,11BS,9PS & 3.9 GPA What the f-k? And its one of my top schools....

Anyone have any info!

i took the august mcat and got a 31S also-11 P, 10 V, 10 B and 3.8+ gpa...they havent reviewed my app apparently and are pretty piled up....when did you take urs?

i was put on the alternate list. is this the same as hold or are they two different things?
my stats weren't all that impressive, 34R on mcat but only a 3.3 gpa, average extracurric.

jon0013 said:
i took the august mcat and got a 31S also-11 P, 10 V, 10 B and 3.8+ gpa...they havent reviewed my app apparently and are pretty piled up....when did you take urs?

I took the april mcat and my application was complete mid september....They didnt even let me know I was on hold until I called last week to see if i could interview there when I would be interviewing at Georgetown.

Ive gotten interviews from much more selective schools so I don't know whats going on there.

What do you think it means if I haven't heard from them, period?! I applied WAY early, and GW was the first app I submitted. I got a complete notice back on August 29, and I keep hearing about people getting put on the hold list while I haven't been contacted about anything at all! My stats are irregular (putting me neither in the shoo-ins who probably wouldn't end up going, nor in the group who are just barely competitive for the school). Any interpretations? Should I call them? I'm so sick of getting the same old "your file's under review"

Members don't see this ad :)
ahumdinger said:
What do you think it means if I haven't heard from them, period?! I applied WAY early, and GW was the first app I submitted. I got a complete notice back on August 29, and I keep hearing about people getting put on the hold list while I haven't been contacted about anything at all! My stats are irregular (putting me neither in the shoo-ins who probably wouldn't end up going, nor in the group who are just barely competitive for the school). Any interpretations? Should I call them? I'm so sick of getting the same old "your file's under review"

I would definately call them. I would never have known if I didnt and now I can stop waiting around for that invite

minnie2240 said:

Anyone have any info!

Same here.....Its definitely very random at GW, considering the number of aplications that they get.

Hi there,
I interviewed and was accepted by GW (decided to attend a cheaper school) without having a 4.0 GPA and above 40 MCAT. I was competitive enough for a full-ride scholarship at my medical school. GWs interviews are closed meaning that the interviewer has no idea of what the rest of your application looks like. GW is also very interested in the well-rounded applicant so make sure that you have plenty of meaningful volunteer and extracurricular things on your application.

One of my very close friends was accepted and attended GW with a 2.8 GPA and 29 MCAT. He was not an URM and ended up graduating third in his class. GW has considerable variation around their means for GPA and MCAT but you need to present a very complete and well-rounded application.

The interview is very relaxed but has little impact on your acceptance.

njbmd :)

I'm at work so I just emailed GW regarding my status. Here is the reply I got:

A decision letter regarding your status has been sent to your XXXX address. You should receive the letter in the next couple of weeks.

What does THAT mean? and why would it take a couple of weeks? And does this mean that it's a hold or rejection letter? The interview invites are through email, right?

UGH! And today's my birthday too! BLAST!

I just called and was told that all they could tell me was that a decision letter has been mailed to my address and that I should receive it within a few days. Does GWU notify about interviews by mail? Or should I get ready for a hold, or worse yet, a rejection? This process is crazy! :eek:

annamarie said:
I just called and was told that all they could tell me was that a decision letter has been mailed to my address and that I should receive it within a few days. Does GWU notify about interviews by mail? Or should I get ready for a hold, or worse yet, a rejection? This process is crazy! :eek:

If you get your letter first, let me know what it is so I can be prepared! They told me "a couple of weeks" rather than a few days.
Good luck! I hope we are getting invites or at worst, holds. Why can't they just tell us over phone or email?

ahumdinger said:
If you get your letter first, let me know what it is so I can be prepared! They told me "a couple of weeks" rather than a few days.
Good luck! I hope we are getting invites or at worst, holds. Why can't they just tell us over phone or email?

Your icon is cute! So, it seems like the holds are coming through emails. It doesn't look like there are any rejections yet (according to the wall of shame). So, maybe we are the first batch of rejections? I'm hoping for the other option (interview!?), but we'll see. If I get my letter first, I will let you know right away. Could you do the same for me please? Best of luck to y'all! :luck:

That's my pup, Roxie! I am trying to train her to chew up rejection letters.
I think the letter will likely be an interview invite! they have been sent via snail mail and it should be a small but slightly thick envelope. I'd really like to think that I'd at least get a hold before a rejection, and those are through email. So things are looking good! I'll let you know! good luck!

annamarie said:
Your icon is cute! So, it seems like the holds are coming through emails. It doesn't look like there are any rejections yet (according to the wall of shame). So, maybe we are the first batch of rejections? I'm hoping for the other option (interview!?), but we'll see. If I get my letter first, I will let you know right away. Could you do the same for me please? Best of luck to y'all! :luck:

My interview invite came through the mail, the only notification I received via email was to complete the secondary and to inform me that my application was complete. The decision (post-interview) to put me on the alternate list came through regular mail

gbbdoc said:
My interview invite came through the mail, the only notification I received via email was to complete the secondary and to inform me that my application was complete. The decision (post-interview) to put me on the alternate list came through regular mail

Thanks for letting me know this! That helps me not worry (so much!). I'm sending you good wishes to get off the alternate list soon. Best of luck :)

annamarie said:
Thanks for letting me know this! That helps me not worry (so much!). I'm sending you good wishes to get off the alternate list soon. Best of luck :)

thanks, best of luck to you. do you know anything about their alternate list, namely whether they take people off them during the year? from what i got out of the vague letter they don't take people off the alternate list until april, after they find out how many have acepted their acceptances.

PBMaxx said:
There are no guarantees when it comes to med school admissions.

What kind of "decent ECs"?-- Research? Medical research? Volunteering? Medical Volunteering? Shadowing? EMS? President of the Friday Nite Drink-til-you-Puke Club? The specifics are important.

Your MCAT has good science, but mediocre writing/verbal skills. The 2 kind of off-set each other as far as "guaranteeing" your admission.

Your 4.0-- is that in Biology? Speech Communications? Molecular Biophysics?Swimming Pool Management? Did you take just the bare minimum of courses to cover your pre-reqs or did you expand out, challenge yourself and succeed greatly with a 4.0? Once again, the specifics are important.

From the little bit of info, my speculation would be: providing you aced the interview, you would be a solid applicant for GW. Depending on the specifics of your app. package (mentioned above), you seem to be a solid candidate for many schools.

Take a step back, look at your details, and give yourself a good, hard, objective look-- you'll get your answer.
Good luck, :luck:
PBM

I'm a biology major, English Literature minor, certified EMT-B, member of various honor societies, undergraduate research in organic chemistry for 1 year, President of Chemical Society, and I attend Leadership Developement Lecture Series.

PittMedicine said:
I'm a biology major, English Literature minor, certified EMT-B, member of various honor societies, undergraduate research in organic chemistry for 1 year, President of Chemical Society, and I attend Leadership Developement Lecture Series.

Looks good to me. Now ace that interview!

:luck: :luck: :luck:

annamarie said:

I received my invitation to interview at GWU a couple of weeks ago. It arrived by snail mail. Don't give up hope, yet! :luck:

I was told the same thing about "it" taking a few weeks-- and it did. It took 2 weeks for me to get a GW interview invitation by snail mail, according to the postmark. Hope this helps! :luck:

I called them and they wouldn't tell me anything. The woman just said it takes a long time for the committee to meet. I've been complete (inc. april mcat) since august! What should I do? Even if I'm rejected/on hold, I'd just like to know at this point. What did you guys do to get answers?

Thanks!

Camillekc said:
I called them and they wouldn't tell me anything. The woman just said it takes a long time for the committee to meet. I've been complete (inc. april mcat) since august! What should I do? Even if I'm rejected/on hold, I'd just like to know at this point. What did you guys do to get answers?

Thanks!

Thats probably still a good sign! I was complete since early september and called them to see if i could schedule an interview there while I'd be at georgetown. But they told me over the phone I was on hold until Feb. So if they didnt tell you that, then your either still waiting to be reviewed or getting an invite.

DC schools get an absurd number of applications. i think it makes them uber-competitive, albeit artificially