If you are In-state and go to UMich undergrad...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TigerLilies

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What numbers do you need to get into UMich med school?

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

TigerLilies said:
What numbers do you need to get into UMich med school?

thanks!

Umm you need good numbers (~3.8/34+) but that alone won't get you in. It's harder for a U of M student to get into U of M, believe it or not.

If you go to U of M I'm sure your advisors have already told you that U of M takes about half from out of state and about half from instate. So right there the spot your competing for is already limited, then add on to the fact that U of M <3's diversity and doesn't like to take all U of M students, your spot is limited again. So basically, you need to be one the "better" U of M pre-med students to get into U of M.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also heard that it was harder to get into UM if you go to UM undergrad, but I followed this up with some research, and it turns out that the break down is as follows: approximately 50% out of state students, 50% in state students. Of the instate students 80-90% of them are from UofM undergrad. So compared to in state students that went to other schools, you have a better chance. As for numbers, it is indeed VERY hard. I had a 35, but subpar gpa, and I didn't get an interview. I think the advice for 34+ and high GPA (3.7-3.8+) is accurate. Of my friends that got in from UM undergrad, they had 35-38's, and 3.8+ in difficult fields (CMB, Chem engineering, Micro, Chem), and they were VERY active on campus. If you don't have these numbers or activities, its still worth a try, and remember, there are plenty of great schools out there besides Michigan. Good luck.

sscooterguy

I'm a Michigan undergrad and was also accepted into the medical school.

IMO, assuming the same credentials, a student at Michigan has a BETTER chance of acceptance than a student from another in-state school or out of state school.

Michigan's acceptance rate is very low (probably 5%ish). Each year, about 3000-4000 out-of-staters will vie for about ~100 acceptance spots. About 800 in-staters will also compete for ~100 acceptances. Considering that UMich is in the top 5 public schools in the country and the most competitive undergraduate institution in Michigan, a heavy majority of those in-state spots will go to UMich undergrads. Therefore, if a UMich, Harvard, and Michigan State student all have the same numbers, I'd assume that the UMich student has the best chance of acceptance (because out of state is limited and UMich students are favored of MSU).

My mom told me that my Aunt applied to 8 medical schools and U of M was her only rejection. Guess what her undergraduate school was...

TP

If you look at the numbers breakdown, you'd find it's much easier for in-state students.

For example, consider automatic interview invites. In-state students with 3.7/34 are competitive while out-of-staters need 3.8/36.

I know there's a lot of anecodotes that fly around, but the fact of the matter is the only school that accepts more UMich undergrads than UMich is Wayne State. There isn't a scheme against our own undergraduates. UMich (a top 10) even accepts more UMich students than Michigan State's CHM (which is also in-state and public).

KevinZ said:
If you look at the numbers breakdown, you'd find it's much easier for in-state students.

For example, consider automatic interview invites. In-state students with 3.7/34 are competitive while out-of-staters need 3.8/36.

I know there's a lot of anecodotes that fly around, but the fact of the matter is the only school that accepts more UMich undergrads than UMich is Wayne State. There isn't a scheme against our own undergraduates. UMich (a top 10) even accepts more UMich students than Michigan State's CHM (which is also in-state and public).
But Umich has a class of ~170 while Mich State has a class of only ~100. Last year MSU CHM accepted ~40 UMich undergrads, while UMMS accepted ~48.

It's rough out there. I asked a student who used to be on the committee, he said that for an in-stater, you'll need at least a 3.5 science and above 28 MCAT for them to even look at your AMCAS. URM students have it a bit easier, but not by that much. They try not to accept anyone below a 30 unless there's some very special reason for that person to get that score (abused as a child in a low-income home; no money for MCAT material; took MCAT while working at 5 jobs to support self; etc.). Same goes for GPA (unless you've already won a couple Nobels and Olympics, then they'll make an exception).

I think there are also more "dedicated" premeds at UofM to begin with vs. other in-state schools, so this would suggest that, partially, you have a better shot as a UofM undergrad than an MSU (or other) undergrad just by average "premed desire" of students, and not so much by simply being a student at the school. But being at UofM will give you the opportunity to form connections w/ important faculty that the Adcom may respect or know, and you won't be able to do that at other schools...

Anyways, don't set a specific number (3.5 35 or whatever) as your goal. Nothing will guarantee an acceptance, so just try your hardest, while still having fun!