DO schools partial to in state residents?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

klptvf

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am unsure if DO schools favor accepting students in that state, as allo schools...?

In other words, am I limited to only applying to my state DO schools because my stats are not outta this world to apply to others?

Or what would you say my stats need to be to have a shot at out of state DO schools?

Thanks from a newbie.

Members don't see this ad.

What state are you in?

BMW-

klptvf said:
I am unsure if DO schools favor accepting students in that state, as allo schools...?

In other words, am I limited to only applying to my state DO schools because my stats are not outta this world to apply to others?

Or what would you say my stats need to be to have a shot at out of state DO schools?

Thanks from a newbie.

Members don't see this ad :)
if you're not in NJ make sure you apply here - UMDNJ-SOM shows everybody love!!! it looks like we're all from here but that's b/c we change resident status the minute we get here. We have students from all over the country, makes for a very nice diverse atmosphere by the way.

-J

I'm not sure about the states besides Texas and Michigan with regards to in-state applicants...but about stats......try to get your gpa as close to a 3.5 as possible (min probably around 3.3ish) and MCAT as close to 27-28 as possible to give yourself a great shot...but a 23-25 can get your foot in the door if everything else on your app is strong.

klptvf said:

Thanks from a newbie.

Public (state) DO schools will prefer in-state students.

However, the majority of DO schools are private, and state of residence will be irrelevant.

I disagree with this statement. GA-PCOM is private and heavily recruits from the surrounding states. I am sure there are several others in this category as well. Just so the OP is informed.

BMW-

OSUdoc08 said:
Public (state) DO schools will prefer in-state students.

However, the majority of DO schools are private, and state of residence will be irrelevant.

Thanks for all of the repsonses.

BMW, I am a resident of Missouri.

That leaves me with KCUMB, KCOM for DO schools and SLU, Mizzou and Washu for allo schools. It's never ever gonna happen with Washu, maybe not any allo school. My GPA is 3.0 right now BUT I still have all of the pre. reqs. --I just finished my BA in psychology, hence, I am a non trad student.

Wondering if it will just be a waste of money to apply other schools, and if you all know of other DO, even MD schools not as partial to in state residents, please give the names of these schools.
DoctorJay thanks for letting me know about UMDNJ-SOM.

Thanks for the input.

klptvf said:
Wondering if it will just be a waste of money to apply other schools, and if you all know of other DO, even MD schools not as partial to in state residents, please give the names of these schools..

From my experience, AZCOM, CCOM, Western/COMP, Touro-California do not give preference to in state students. I called the admissions office of each school before applying to confirm. While interviewing at these schools, applicants and students that I met were from all over the country.

klptvf,

I have heard that KCUMB is an excellent school. In fact our Anatomy professor came from there and he is one of our best (teacher of the year 8 times).

BMW-

klptvf said:
Thanks for all of the repsonses.

BMW, I am a resident of Missouri.

That leaves me with KCUMB, KCOM for DO schools and SLU, Mizzou and Washu for allo schools. It's never ever gonna happen with Washu, maybe not any allo school. My GPA is 3.0 right now BUT I still have all of the pre. reqs. --I just finished my BA in psychology, hence, I am a non trad student.

Wondering if it will just be a waste of money to apply other schools, and if you all know of other DO, even MD schools not as partial to in state residents, please give the names of these schools.
DoctorJay thanks for letting me know about UMDNJ-SOM.

Thanks for the input.

PCOM is the state osteopathic school of delaware......................................... don't ask it just is. Delaware students get special scholarships and supposedly some extra consideration. PA students are also favored by PCOM which is shown by the higher interview rate and acceptance rate.

DOctorJay said:
if you're not in NJ make sure you apply here - UMDNJ-SOM shows everybody love!!! it looks like we're all from here but that's b/c we change resident status the minute we get here. We have students from all over the country, makes for a very nice diverse atmosphere by the way.

-J
Does UMDNJ:SOM really show no in-state preference? If that is true, I really can't help feeling bitter about it. The school is a state funded institution which means NJ tax dollars are helping pay for it. A state school is meant to give preference for educating residents of NJ. The low in state tuition is encouraging students who normally would have no desire to apply or live in NJ, to apply making it more dificult for actual residents(including me) to gain acceptance. The low in state tuition is to encourage residents of NJ to stay and study in state. I hardly think they originally thought of having in state tuition just so anyone from any state could easily obtain it; in that case, what is the point of having out of state tuition? Which is why I'm having trouble believing they don't give in-state preference? I know it's great for you out of staters to save money at the school, but it doesn't seem quite fair to the actual residents here. I mean, they should at least require you to live here for 2 years before getting in state tuition or something along those lines, to give even a small boost for the actual NJ residents applying. Does anyone else feel this way?

PlasticMan said:
Does UMDNJ:SOM really show no in-state preference? If that is true, I really can't help feeling bitter about it. The school is a state funded institution which means NJ tax dollars are helping pay for it. A state school is meant to give preference for educating residents of NJ. The low in state tuition is encouraging students who normally would have no desire to apply or live in NJ, to apply making it more dificult for actual residents(including me) to gain acceptance. The low in state tuition is to encourage residents of NJ to stay and study in state. I hardly think they originally thought of having in state tuition just so anyone from any state could easily obtain it; in that case, what is the point of having out of state tuition? Which is why I'm having trouble believing they don't give in-state preference? I know it's great for you out of staters to save money at the school, but it doesn't seem quite fair to the actual residents here. I mean, they should at least require you to live here for 2 years before getting in state tuition or something along those lines, to give even a small boost for the actual NJ residents applying. Does anyone else feel this way?

I agree completely. I know UNTHSC-TCOM prefers in-state students, and it is in our charter that at least 80% of each incoming class must be Texas residents.

I also believe that most states require you to live and work in that state for a year before being able to claim residence.

I've heard that OUCOM in Ohio will allow anyone accepted to pay in-state tuition in return for a signed contract promising to stay in OH for 5 years after graduation.

l8r,

jd

whoa now, don't go putting words into my mouth. I never said you don't get preference if you're in-state at UMDNJ-SOM. I said that if you're out of state you still have a good chance at getting in here (ok maybe I wasn't that clear).

Anyway, NJ residents DO get preference, however there's probably more acceptance of out of state applicants here than at most state osteopathic schools. I do not know the official percentage and therefore cannot comment but I would say most students are from NJ originally.

So out of staters are NOT given preference but we can become residents and receive the lower tuition if we're accepted in the first place.

hope that clears it up a bit

-J

Doc Jay is correct that UMDNJ shows other states more love than other state schools. Still, NJ residents get preferences and this is show with our class: ~50 of 100 are from NJ so about half of the class comes from 1 of 50 states while the other half comes from the other 49 states. That is still pretty awesome diversity for a state school. I love the diversity here.

Nate said:
Doc Jay is correct that UMDNJ shows other states more love than other state schools. Still, NJ residents get preferences and this is show with our class: ~50 of 100 are from NJ so about half of the class comes from 1 of 50 states while the other half comes from the other 49 states. That is still pretty awesome diversity for a state school. I love the diversity here.
Aight, this makes me feel a little better. Bitterness level toned down :p In my mind and the way doc Jay said in his first post, it sounded like since everyone from any state can get in state tuition, alot more out of staters would apply there than other schools that don't give them in-state tuition therefore increasing the size of the applicant pool resulting in harder admissions for state residents. Sorry, if I misread your post Doc Jay; it sounded like out of staters got just as much preference as us. My apology for jumping all over your post :oops:

no worries and I can understand why you would feel slighted if there was no advantage for the true residents. best of luck to you!

-J

DeLaughterDO said:
I know UNTHSC-TCOM prefers in-state students, and it is in our charter that at least 80% of each incoming class must be Texas residents.

l8r,

jd

jd, I think it is 90%.

BMW19 said:
klptvf,

I have heard that KCUMB is an excellent school. In fact our Anatomy professor came from there and he is one of our best (teacher of the year 8 times).

BMW-

Thanks for the feedback. Thanks to bmw19 for the KCUMB info...I also hear it is a great school. I hear they have a dress code, anyone know? If anyone goes there, please let me know if you like the school.

To the NJ students, how do you all like UMDNJ-SOM?

can't imagine being happier anywhere else and had multiple choices to pick from.

-J