Univ. of Houston - Housing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Genuine

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

For those of you who are from the Houston area --- do you have any suggestions for apartments in Houston?

I'm from Dallas and was wondering where most UH - pharmacy students live. How far is UH main campus from TMC? Is it possible to find apartments so driving to school can be avoided all together? Is parking at UH main campus an issue?

I'm trying to figure out my housing for the first 2 years since it's at UH main campus.

Any help, suggestion, ideas, etc. will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Genuine said:
Hi,

For those of you who are from the Houston area --- do you have any suggestions for apartments in Houston?

I'm from Dallas and was wondering where most UH - pharmacy students live. How far is UH main campus from TMC? Is it possible to find apartments so driving to school can be avoided all together? Is parking at UH main campus an issue?

I'm trying to figure out my housing for the first 2 years since it's at UH main campus.

Thanks!

Well...UH main campus is located in the "ghetto" area. Although, it is also located like 5 minutes away from the medical center (where you would be attending for the last 2 years). The best bet is staying closer to the medical center. You can commute to the main campus (which only takes a few minutes) for the first 2 years and live really close the the medical center. It also depends on how much you want to pay for rent. Hope this helps....

buzybee said:
Well...UH main campus is located in the "ghetto" area. Although, it is also located like 5 minutes away from the medical center (where you would be attending for the last 2 years). The best bet is staying closer to the medical center. You can commute to the main campus (which only takes a few minutes) for the first 2 years and live really close the the medical center. It also depends on how much you want to pay for rent. Hope this helps....

Thanks buzybee for your input -- it does help. I didnt know that the main campus and TMC are that close. What about the Laurence H. Favrot Tower Apartments? It seems a good bet since they are right there within walking distance to the college (for last 2 years). But is that a good deal? Everything around TMC area seems really expensive... I was hoping somewhere in the $600 range, but I'm not sure if thats a reasonable amount. I'm clueless when it comes to the right price for apts. Do you know of any specific apartments that you may suggest?

Thanks again!

Members don't see this ad :)
Genuine said:
Thanks buzybee for your input -- it does help. I didnt know that the main campus and TMC are that close. What about the Laurence H. Favrot Tower Apartments? It seems a good bet since they are right there within walking distance to the college (for last 2 years). But is that a good deal? Everything around TMC area seems really expensive... I was hoping somewhere in the $600 range, but I'm not sure if thats a reasonable amount. I'm clueless when it comes to the right price for apts. Do you know of any specific apartments that you may suggest?

Thanks again!

From my perspective...I would never live in the dorms at the main campus. It is horrible. The space is very small and compact. I would go with the Cullen Oaks or Cambridge oaks apartments. They are located right by/next to the campus and also have shuttle buses. Cullen Oaks ranges from 560-600, something like depending on whether you are going to share it with a roommate or not. The apartments are fully furnished, you get a free telephone line, all utilities paid for, free cable internet. :thumbup: I would suggest to not have a roommate, they just cause too many problems. :rolleyes: There are some apartments around the TMC area that are a little pricey, maybe around $800.

buzybee said:
From my perspective...I would never live in the dorms at the main campus. It is horrible. The space is very small and compact. I would go with the Cullen Oaks or Cambridge oaks apartments. They are located right by/next to the campus and also have shuttle buses. Cullen Oaks ranges from 560-600, something like depending on whether you are going to share it with a roommate or not. The apartments are fully furnished, you get a free telephone line, all utilities paid for, free cable internet. :thumbup: I would suggest to not have a roommate, they just cause too many problems. :rolleyes: There are some apartments around the TMC area that are a little pricey, maybe around $800.

Thanks buzybee that is great help! :)

buzybee said:

I agree with you buzybee on the dorm thing, they are horrible. I know someone that goees to UH, and I stayed at his dorm during the interview. Never again......... We also drove around and looked at the apartments and yea, one of the ones Buzybee mentioned is reaaaaaaaally nice. I can quite remember which one, i think it's Cullen Oaks. But i'm sure it comes with a nice price tag..... On the roommate thing, it sounds like you may have had a bad experience. I've been sharing apartments with people for 4 years, and it's worked out great. I think it's worth giving a shot, and if you don't like it then don't do it again. It really helps if you know the people/person before hand.....

Miss Genuine... I see you are already preparing yourself for life in Houston, is this your top school? If you get an acceptance from Austin(which is likely) or Tech, where would you end up?

Itoohaveadream said:
I agree with you buzybee on the dorm thing, they are horrible. I know someone that goees to UH, and I stayed at his dorm during the interview. Never again......... We also drove around and looked at the apartments and yea, one of the ones Buzybee mentioned is reaaaaaaaally nice. I can quite remember which one, i think it's Cullen Oaks. But i'm sure it comes with a nice price tag..... On the roommate thing, it sounds like you may have had a bad experience. I've been sharing apartments with people for 4 years, and it's worked out great. I think it's worth giving a shot, and if you don't like it then don't do it again. It really helps if you know the people/person before hand.....

Miss Genuine... I see you are already preparing yourself for life in Houston, is this your top school? If you get an acceptance from Austin(which is likely) or Tech, where would you end up?

Well the ones i was talking about... "Laurence H. Favrot Tower Apartments" --- i dont think they are dorms. These seem to be apts offered only to medical professionals... the space is small, compared to the price, but these are also furnished and right in the TMC. I think its worth it if u share it with 2 other roommates cuz then u only have to pay $450 each. I want to avoid trying to find a parking spot!

About the roommate --- I would have to agree with buzybee... it can be really hard. Except if u get some really great people who are like u! What if u like to keep the place clean and they are always making a mess??? :eek:

I would def. have to check out buzybees suggestions... i just want a "roach-free" place :) that's super close to school. I've heard about houstons traffic.

So far Ive only heard from UH... and I absolutely loved the school --- If i do hear from Austin --- but that would have to be soon, not a wk before school starts, then i would have to rethink and decide which place fits me better.

But so far just checking out the possibilities and the $$$ i would have to spend in houston.

Try to find a place in the medical center. I live there and its 10 min away from campus w/ traffic and 15 min away from the bars in the rice village. My 2nd choice would be to live in the apts on campus. That way you can avoid driving to class. in your first year, you have afternoon classes and labs in the morning. What I do is just go early and study at school to avoid parking problems when I don't have lab. 2nd year is when you have morning classes so you'll never have problems w/ parking.

Also try finding a roommate cuz its a lot cheaper. I'm renting out a condo now for 700 bucks for 2 bed/one bath so i'm paying 400 bucks w/ utilities and everything. I'm debating if i want a roommate or not for next year or just to move out to another place. you just gotta dig around for housing. good luck!

Genuine said:
Well the ones i was talking about... "Laurence H. Favrot Tower Apartments" --- i dont think they are dorms. These seem to be apts offered only to medical professionals... the space is small, compared to the price, but these are also furnished and right in the TMC. I think its worth it if u share it with 2 other roommates cuz then u only have to pay $450 each. I want to avoid trying to find a parking spot!

About the roommate --- I would have to agree with buzybee... it can be really hard. Except if u get some really great people who are like u! What if u like to keep the place clean and they are always making a mess??? :eek:

I would def. have to check out buzybees suggestions... i just want a "roach-free" place :) that's super close to school. I've heard about houstons traffic.

So far Ive only heard from UH... and I absolutely loved the school --- If i do hear from Austin --- but that would have to be soon, not a wk before school starts, then i would have to rethink and decide which place fits me better.

But so far just checking out the possibilities and the $$$ i would have to spend in houston.

Genuine said:
Hi,

Thanks!

i am having the same probelm that you are! i have lived in small towns so my biggest concern in houston is safety. i think that i am going to look in the TMC area first! my boyfriend pulled up an article for me that someone got mugged near the pharmacy school! Genuine--PM me if you are going to be looking for a roommate.

timbo301 said:
Try to find a place in the medical center. I live there and its 10 min away from campus w/ traffic and 15 min away from the bars in the rice village. My 2nd choice would be to live in the apts on campus. That way you can avoid driving to class. in your first year, you have afternoon classes and labs in the morning. What I do is just go early and study at school to avoid parking problems when I don't have lab. 2nd year is when you have morning classes so you'll never have problems w/ parking.

Also try finding a roommate cuz its a lot cheaper. I'm renting out a condo now for 700 bucks for 2 bed/one bath so i'm paying 400 bucks w/ utilities and everything. I'm debating if i want a roommate or not for next year or just to move out to another place. you just gotta dig around for housing. good luck!

Thanks timbo301 --- I think I have a good feel of where I wanna live now. 10 min. drive to me sounds really good, but not much for bars. I'll def. have to look into the roommate deal... cuz "400 bucks w/ utilities and everything paid" sounds really good to me! Thanks again.

Hi,

Can anyone please advice me on the following apts listed below:
Cougar Place
Cambridge oaks
Cullen Oaks
Bayou Oaks

I've been looking at apts in the med ctr so far, but recently found these "close to" campus apts. Does anyone have any experience living in these apts or have heard anything (+ve/-ve) about them? Can you walk to class (1st 2 years) or do you have to drive?

The main reason I'm considering these apts is in the hope that I wont have to look for a parking spot in the morning/afternoon.

Please help.

Thanks!

Here's a map showing you the proximity of these apts. You'll be walking to the Science and Research building 2 (SR2). Click on the "where is this building on campus" and you'll see it as one of the green highlighted buildings to the right of Cullen, north of Holman (click to confirm). http://www.housing.uh.edu/housingmain.html

Alternatively, the drive to school from the med center isn't bad. I find that parking is only a pain the first two weeks of school. After that, many dont attend, and there's always a spot, albeit far. More than likely, you'll be parking in the stadium lot (enclosed by holman, scott, and cullen). But on that note, there is a shuttle that goes around the lot so you dont have to walk too much. There is also a shuttle for the apts as well.

From what I've heard, cambridge oaks is no good, with many non-students living there. I've been inside cullen oaks, and it looks nice. I can't comment on the others though.

Hope that helps, and good luck.

Genuine said:
Hi,

Can anyone please advice me on the following apts listed below:
Cougar Place
Cambridge oaks
Cullen Oaks
Bayou Oaks

I've been looking at apts in the med ctr so far, but recently found these "close to" campus apts. Does anyone have any experience living in these apts or have heard anything (+ve/-ve) about them? Can you walk to class (1st 2 years) or do you have to drive?

The main reason I'm considering these apts is in the hope that I wont have to look for a parking spot in the morning/afternoon.

Please help.

Thanks!

Thank You... thats def. a great help. Cullen oaks is the only one that works out with my needs... but I have yet to hear from them!!!

And if shuttles are available and students wont attend after the 1st 2 wks.. then med ctr would work out great for me!

Thanks!

ROOMS FOR RENT
Trusted Roommates-Sweet Home-Convenient Place!!!

Looking for Asian, FEMALE professional or pharmacy/medical students, non-smoking/ no drugs /no pets, to share my comfortable, new built house with 5BR(s)+3 Baths+ LR+ DR+ Family Room+ Breakfast nook+kitchen +Washer + Dryer. I want someone who is responsible with bills (on-time), neat, works and be able to sign a rent contract with me for A YEAR or 6 months. My big house is located at S. 288 & Almeda Genoa, is 10-15 min away from TSU, UH, downtown, the medical center and the galleria. I want to create this house a quite place for students study, a sweet & safe home for all of us, and thus require all renters DON’T bring stranger/party home. Rent is $450/room + split utility bills + $450 deposit.
About me and other roommates:
-pharmacy students
-clean, responsible, respect each other
-humorous, friendly, love cooking
If you are interested, you need to be hurry!!! I only have 2 rooms left (one w/ separated bath available). This is a very good group of tenants. Please contact Angela @ 817-320-2613 or via email: [email protected]

Genuine said:
Hi,

Thanks!