PTCB exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ndearwater

SDN Donor
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys! I'll christen the board I guess 🙂 What materials did all you nationally certified techs use when studying for the PTCB exam?
Thanks!
Jess
 
ndearwater said:
Hey guys! I'll christen the board I guess 🙂 What materials did all you nationally certified techs use when studying for the PTCB exam?
Thanks!
Jess

I used these books:

"The Pharmacy Technician." By Morton Publishing (I picked it up on eBay for ~$6). The chapters on drug classes were good, but the rest was very superficial. I probably wouldn't recommend this book.

"Comprehensive Exam Review for the Pharmacy Technician" by Jahangit Moini. This one had a CD with practice tests on it. (Found it at a used bookstore for $20 - a steal!) I loved the CD, and there was a LOT of law information.

"Delmar's Pharmacy Technician Certification Exam Review." by Patricia Anthony (Free from my school's eCatalog 😀 ). LOTS of good math problems, good information on drug classes.

~From another Jess
 
Is this board going to be for Pharm Tech stuff too or just Pharmacist licensure etc?

As far as the PTCB goes I had worked in a pharmacy for a long time so I didn't need to study very much. If you have lots of experience the test won't be tough at all.

My company provided an inhouse training book for us and I got a lot of help from a popular yahoo pharmacy tech group. I can't remember the exact name
 
pharmagirl said:
Is this board going to be for Pharm Tech stuff too or just Pharmacist licensure etc?

As far as the PTCB goes I had worked in a pharmacy for a long time so I didn't need to study very much. If you have lots of experience the test won't be tough at all.

My company provided an inhouse training book for us and I got a lot of help from a popular yahoo pharmacy tech group. I can't remember the exact name


That would be Jeannetta's PTCB Study Group. I found that helpful as well. I also used a book from pharmacytrainer.com. Its a skinny binder, but they update it frequently and it covers all you need.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i took it in march without studying.... i regret doing that, but i was so bombed with physics and bio. Anyway, i made a 580 (passing score is 650) 😱 After finals are over, i'm going to study this pharmacy tech training manual my girlfriend gave me, I'll look up the name of the book later.
 
I used the book they give you when you take the 8 hr class before the test...if you have worked in a pharmacy for any amount of time...it should help a lot! I made close to 900 in all the categories. I study only the litlle booklet they gave me....plus the top 200 name brands/generics.
 
babietuan323 said:
i took it in march without studying.... i regret doing that, but i was so bombed with physics and bio. Anyway, i made a 580 (passing score is 650) 😱 After finals are over, i'm going to study this pharmacy tech training manual my girlfriend gave me, I'll look up the name of the book later.


I write the PTCB book and questions...100% passing rate!
 
What is the best way to prepare for this examination? Im a first year PrePharm student, never had any experience in a pharmacy - just purchase a few of these books and study up?
 
Seriously, can anyone answer my question? It looks like there is a ton of pharmacology on the exam, I'm not farmiliar in any way shape or form with pharmacology. Should I just buy a book and start studying?
 
I had worked in a pharmacy 5 years when I took the test so I didn't need to study a lot. But, some of the hospital information I did not know so I bought a book called the Pharmacy Technician and you could buy the study guide with questions also. It was very helpful. If you have a lot of experience though you should be fine! Good luck!
 
Hey... I started looking over Delmar's review book for PTCB and I was surprised at how much I already knew. First of all, if you know basic unit analysis from science classes which we all do from pre-reqs, the math part is no problem. There are a couple formulas in the book they suggest you memorize- things for calculating pediatric doses etc.
I have worked in retail for a few years so I'm pretty familiar with top 200 and that kind of thing. The IV and other hospital related stuff is what I'm going to concentrate on. I have until late July so that should be plenty of time considering I have no school all summer!!! 🙂
 
Does anyone know how long the certificate will be delivered? I haven't taken the test yet, but I want to make sure that I have the certificate on hand prior to the Pharmcas app deadline. Any response would be great, thanks!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have a question for everyone whos already taken the exam...how hard was it to pass if you have no previous experience at all? All I've taken so far is a semester of intro-level chem, and I'm pretty good at math. If I get some study books, do you think I'd be able to pass the exam? Or do you need pharmacy experience?
Thank you!