Heard from MUO lately?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GA Girl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard from MUO/MCO?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

GA Girl said:
Has anyone heard from MUO/MCO?

Thanks

interviewed on march 30th, heard nothing since

I interviewed on March 23. I called them last week, and Kelly told me that the committee was meeting on Tuesday (as in three days ago), and that I could call back on Wednesday for my decision.

So, I called back, and I'm waitlisted. Good news in that I don't think one of my interviewers liked me very much, but bad in that I already had 4 waitlists and 0 acceptances. I liked the school very much though. Does anybody know how much waitlist movement they usually have, especially for out-of-staters?

Members don't see this ad :)
tacrum43 said:
I interviewed on March 23. I called them last week, and Kelly told me that the committee was meeting on Tuesday (as in three days ago), and that I could call back on Wednesday for my decision.

So, I called back, and I'm waitlisted. Good news in that I don't think one of my interviewers liked me very much, but bad in that I already had 4 waitlists and 0 acceptances. I liked the school very much though. Does anybody know how much waitlist movement they usually have, especially for out-of-staters?
did you receive a letter yet? i interviewed the 27th, and still havent heard anything. i guess i'll call monday. what do you mean you dont think your interviewer liked you? my first one told me he would not agree with a lot of things i said, and not to worry, and of course he did not agree with any of my opinions. the second one went super awesome tho, so im kind of spilt, one good one not so good.

ismelllikepoop said:
did you receive a letter yet? i interviewed the 27th, and still havent heard anything. i guess i'll call monday. what do you mean you dont think your interviewer liked you? my first one told me he would not agree with a lot of things i said, and not to worry, and of course he did not agree with any of my opinions. the second one went super awesome tho, so im kind of spilt, one good one not so good.

I just got my waitlist letter today. It's kind of confusingly worded, but this is the just of it:

1. You are on the waitlist.
2. We may accept you at any time because we're a rolling school
3. If we haven't accepted you by May 15th, then we will rank the waitlist and divide it into thirds
4. You don't need to send anything else in right now (I wonder why?)

As for my statement about my first interviewer, it just didn't feel like it went as well as some of my others. It seemed that we were connecting pretty well, but then an issue came up (it was nationalized health insuance) and I could tell we both had strong and opposing opinions on an issue, so that made it kind of awkward and the rapport suffered. It might not have made any difference. :confused: My second interviewer was very friendly, casual and supportive, but it was a rather short interview, so again I don't know what to think. It seemed like almost everybody would be getting a waitlist at best though, since it was so late and the class so full. Hopefully there will be lots of movement. :)

Do any of you remember the names of your interviewers?

Touchdown said:

I talked to kelly on monday and she said that the committee was meeting tuesday and that my letter would be sent today (wednesday). hope that helps
i didnt know that i could call in and find out the decision.

Hi Vitroil, I'm confused...did you get an acceptance letter or is your alternate list position in the mail?

tacrum43 said:
I just got my waitlist letter today. It's kind of confusingly worded, but this is the just of it:

1. You are on the waitlist.
2. We may accept you at any time because we're a rolling school
3. If we haven't accepted you by May 15th, then we will rank the waitlist and divide it into thirds
4. You don't need to send anything else in right now (I wonder why?)

As for my statement about my first interviewer, it just didn't feel like it went as well as some of my others. It seemed that we were connecting pretty well, but then an issue came up (it was nationalized health insuance) and I could tell we both had strong and opposing opinions on an issue, so that made it kind of awkward and the rapport suffered. It might not have made any difference. :confused: My second interviewer was very friendly, casual and supportive, but it was a rather short interview, so again I don't know what to think. It seemed like almost everybody would be getting a waitlist at best though, since it was so late and the class so full. Hopefully there will be lots of movement. :)

I just received my alternate list letter, too. It didn't mention anything about dividing the list into thirds though. Anybody have an idea how many people are accepted from the waitlist?

newbie1kenobi said:
I just received my alternate list letter, too. It didn't mention anything about dividing the list into thirds though. Anybody have an idea how many people are accepted from the waitlist?

Well my letter says the list will be "prioritized by the end of May 2006", but I have heard from other people that they divide it into thirds. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

newbie1kenobi said:

At my interview (3/30) the first speaker told us that the list would be divided into thirds, and that most (if not all) on the "top 1/3" list would be given a spot, and that sometimes they made it down the list to the "middle 1/3."

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, May 15 is almost here. Good luck to everybody. :luck:

I called the admin office today, the list is being compiled at the beginning of next week... so phone calls mid next week maybe... let's hope so!

I talked to MUO's office today, and the waitlist has been ranked as of today.

Sadly, I'm in the middle third, so likely no soup for me. :(

tacrum43 said:

Tacrum, I dont know how you got that information but I called the admissions office this morning and they told me the list will not be available until Tuesday.

I called today and they said I was also on the middle tier....im an out of stater...this is kinda discouraging but I heard that they may go through the middle tear of the OOS list but not through the middle tear of the instate list

tacrum43 said:

First of all, good luck man, with a 30 and SMP behind you, you really deserve an acceptance. I have a feeling come June you will be in:) :luck:

Secondly, how did you balance interviewing and secondaries with SMP? I migt be at SMP next year applying to a crap load of schools, I would like your input. Thanks:)

DrVanNostran said:
First of all, good luck man, with a 30 and SMP behind you, you really deserve an acceptance. I have a feeling come June you will be in:) :luck:

Secondly, how did you balance interviewing and secondaries with SMP? I migt be at SMP next year applying to a crap load of schools, I would like your input. Thanks:)

First of all, I came home and recieved a lovely email from MUO telling me I have been placed in the top third :). Heres hoping for another email real soon :luck:.

As for your question Dr. Van Notran, you are going to fall behind during interview season (which is really Feb-April for SMPers) but its not hard to schedule them so they dont fall on test weeks. Euphoria about finally getting some interviews makes it feel like less of a task then it really is. As to secondaries, be sure to submit your AMCAS in June so you get them in July-Sept so you get a bulk of them done before the start of the program and finish the leftovers before your first test (3rd week of Sept.)

Did anyone else receive this email? I've been trying to get in contact with the admissions office all day but have only gotten the automated message.

Touchdown said:
First of all, I came home and recieved a lovely email from MUO telling me I have been placed in the top third :). Heres hoping for another email real soon :luck:.

Awesome. :thumbup: Guess no news was good news for you then.

Okay TD, so here's the deal. You get accepted to MUO, and then I get accepted to EVMS (which apparently put me back in their top third). Sound good? :)

DrVanNostran said:
First of all, good luck man, with a 30 and SMP behind you, you really deserve an acceptance. I have a feeling come June you will be in

Secondly, how did you balance interviewing and secondaries with SMP? I migt be at SMP next year applying to a crap load of schools, I would like your input. Thanks

Thanks. I sure hope I get in.

Touchdown's advice about secondaries is right on the mark, in my opinion. Apply early, send back your secondaries as quickly as possible, make sure you get Dr. Myer's letter out right away (it just says that you are in the SMP and that's a good thing because blah, blah, blah), and of course try to do as well as possible in the first two classes (Embryology and Microbiology/Immunology). Then get your advisor's letter as soon as you have grades for those (sometime in October), and then send that in.

As for interviews, accept the fact that you will miss class, but make sure to schedule them so that you do not miss a test. Most of my interviews were local, so I only had to miss one day. I was also able to schedule my MUO interview over spring break. Other than that, my interviews were pretty spread out, so it wasn't too bad. I was really just so excited to go on my interviews that I didn't really see it as taking away from study time, although it did somewhat.

tacrum43 said:
Awesome. :thumbup: Guess no news was good news for you then.

Okay TD, so here's the deal. You get accepted to MUO, and then I get accepted to EVMS (which apparently put me back in their top third). Sound good? :)

Sounds like a plan to me :thumbup:

bluefanatic said:
Did anyone else receive this email? I've been trying to get in contact with the admissions office all day but have only gotten the automated message.

I did receive an email today, but it states that I'm on the high priority section on the alternate list (no mention about being in the top third - could be the same).

Any of you guys accepted someplace else but will go to MUO if accepted off the waitlist? If so, how do you go about rescinding the confirmed acceptance from the other school?

newbie1kenobi said:
I did receive an email today, but it states that I'm on the high priority section on the alternate list (no mention about being in the top third - could be the same).

Any of you guys accepted someplace else but will go to MUO if accepted off the waitlist? If so, how do you go about rescinding the confirmed acceptance from the other school?

High priority=top third, congrads newbie1kenobi! Hopefully we will be classmates next year :luck:.

Same to you touchdown. Hope you'll get in. :luck:

For now, I'm just keeping my options open.

Touchdown, Newbie

"High priority" waitlist here too, which is pretty handy because though I applied knowing little about the program, I was very positively impressed during my visit and it quickly rose to the top of my list (with my in-state school).

What did you (or anyone else) think?

Thanks for the response Tacrum and Touchdown:) I hope you guys get into MUO, I was just their, awesome school. Good Luck!!

Karl_Hungus said:
Touchdown, Newbie

"High priority" waitlist here too, which is pretty handy because though I applied knowing little about the program, I was very positively impressed during my visit and it quickly rose to the top of my list (with my in-state school).

What did you (or anyone else) think?

I was impressed, too. If accepted, I'll drop the other school and go to MUO.

newbie1kenobi said:
Anybody heard from MUO yet?

According to the waitlist letters, June 1 is the earliest that the waitlist starts moving.

hmmm...just noticed that it says from June to September...don't classes start mid-August?

newbie1kenobi said:
hmmm...just noticed that it says from June to September...don't classes start mid-August?

Classes begin August 21st I believe and orientation a week before...

Therefore Sept 1 isnt unreasonable, catching up on a week of classes may be a pain but its doable and certainly preferable to applying again (which I assume anyone who would accept that offer would be.)

I had an acceptance at MUO, but I withdrew a couple days before May 15th to go to OSU. So someone's gonna get it. Good luck! :)

im on the middle tier waitlist for muo, and im out-of-state, does anyone know if they reach the middle tier ever?

neurotik said:
im on the middle tier waitlist for muo, and im out-of-state, does anyone know if they reach the middle tier ever?

I think they do occasionally, but usually not. I'm in the middle tier as well. I'm not holding my breath, but I guess it is possible. :luck:

BUMP!! june is coming...anyone heard anything?

Does anyone know if MUO has begun accepting people off their waitlist?

i havent heard anything yet

Okay, June 1st is around the corner...for some reason I thought this was a significant day. Maybe I am just hoping it is. Let's keep the thread active and please post anything as soon as you hear it! :)

mbawife said:
Okay, June 1st is around the corner...for some reason I thought this was a significant day. Maybe I am just hoping it is. Let's keep the thread active and please post anything as soon as you hear it! :)

ya....they told me that june 1 was when they started taking people off....but too bad its ranked and I am in the medium priority waiting list.... i think women have a much better chance here because they are sorely underrepresented in MUO for some wierd reason... i think its just a domino effect and every yr it just got lower and lower

Happy June 1 everyone! Anyone here anything yet? Also, good luck to all :luck:!

Touchdown said:
Happy June 1 everyone! Anyone here anything yet? Also, good luck to all :luck:!

I called and they said they accepted a "handful" of people... though I am still on the top part of the medium priority waitlist.... so I will just be waiting for awhile.... :thumbdown:

Im on the top part of the list and no call yet for me :(

ABC321 said:
Im on the top part of the list and no call yet for me :(

the top part? what part of the top part? they seem to divide them into like thirds and then divide each third into thirds...so call them and ask

danesh23 said:
the top part? what part of the top part? they seem to divide them into like thirds and then divide each third into thirds...so call them and ask

The email I received said I was in the "high priority" section...You are saying this high priority section is subdivided as well? Are you sure....? I mean thats getting pretty specific.

ABC321 said:
The email I received said I was in the "high priority" section...You are saying this high priority section is subdivided as well? Are you sure....? I mean thats getting pretty specific.

i know i am in the "medium priority" but i called and asked and they told me i was in the top part of that section.... but anyways they told me that last year, they only got through the middle part of the top section which is kind of discouraging

danesh23 said:
i know i am in the "medium priority" but i called and asked and they told me i was in the top part of that section.... but anyways they told me that last year, they only got through the middle part of the top section which is kind of discouraging

They only got throughthe middle third of the "top priority section"...or the middle third of the "middle priority" section?