My DAT experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chrono1984

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well I can happily pronounce my DAT as completed! Hasn't quite sunken in how much free time I have again. I have used SDN as a resource for a bit now, so I can finally contribute a little and hopefully help others out.

First off, yes I remember several questions and NO, I will not post them here or in private. That violates SDN policy as well as DAT regulations. Please don't ask.

If all you care about are my scores, than you can scroll down to the bottom.

I will post my inital diagnostic scores vs my actual results. While I have technically been studying for this test a long time (just by going to organic chem class) - for the sake of simplicity, I started true earnest DAT study in early Feb. Approx. 3 months of solid studying.

MATERIALS:

I did not take the Kaplan course. However, my school offers a review class for DAT hopefuls and I did attend those classes (700$). They were run every monday and friday for 2 hours with 2 profs from my school. monday was biology and quantitative (pretty much all bio though). Friday was chemistry (and a little PAT).

While the actual sessions were not extremely helpful, they kept me motivated and on track. The class provided me with the Kaplan blue book and the Barrons book. They also had an initial diagnostic test and gave out the ADA booklet test as well. Topscore was also included. I was also allowed to borrow a cambells biology book from a prof.

I went out and got DAT achiever on my own. It was by far the most useful for preparation. The PAT and SNS sections are excellent review/practice.

I also got AcetheDAT. My advice - do not bother. Take all the mistakes in the barrons book and multiply that by about 50. AcetheDAT left me questioning my abilities mostly because the majority of their questions are WRONG and/or worded terribly.

Most of my studying was done on my own. I mapped out the biology section in kaplan which took a LONG TIME. But it really helped me to write everything down.

For ochem, I divided all the reactions into functional groups and put them on paper as well. Very helpful. I only needed to grind reactions because I remembered the IUPAC/nmr/stereochemistry/ect. material from class.

gchem.. oh my. I pretty much had to teach myself everything again. Gchem at my school was too easy and I didn't retain much. However, after a solid weak or so of review, it started to come back.

I did a lot of PAT practice which I will go into later. Quant and RC was barely focused on. I didn't care about math in HS, so I didn't have the motivation to really study for it (most of it came back on its own through practice tests).

OK OK, on to the test:

I had to be up at 6am in order to make it to the test center in time. I am not a big breakfast eater, so I just made an instant breakfast. Other people think food is important, but it wasn't for me. I had a power bar during the break with some water.

Biology:
Diagnostic - 16
Actual - 21

I was intimidated by the biology section. Many questions were very unfamiliar with what I had reviewed. There was a lot of plant stuff. There were about FIVE taxonomy questions. However, the questions were not impossible. You just need to relax and look at your options. Common sense should usually eliminate a few choices. I was surprised at my score however, I did not think it would have turned out so good.

There were several very basic genetics questions. Know your organelles and diffs between prok/eukaryotes.

General Chemistry
Diagnostic - 12
Actual - 20

The gen chem was the easiest science section. Very little calculations were required. Similar to the ADA test. There were a few off the wall questions about tests that I had never heard of, but other than that, quite straight-forward.

Organic Chemistry
Diagnostic - 13
Actual - 20

The first question was crazy. I almost lost my composure but was relieved to see the rest of the section being normal. The first questions was worded very poorly and took me a minute to understand what they were asking. It was a 5 step reaction that required a lot more thinking than I was prepared for (although I think I got it right!)

Basically know your reactions: grignard, diels alder, williamson ether synth...reductions/oxidations, sn1,sn2,e1,e2, blah blah blah.

IUPAC, Hnmr, aromaticity, acid/base, stereochem all showed up in some form.

Perceptual Ability
Diagnostic - 13
Actual - 22

The pride of my test. 97th percentile will leave anyone smiling. Please note that studying DAT achiever PAT will really help you out. I also started doing drills without thinking. I would see the front of a chair in class, and imagine the top and side views! The important thing is practice!! Keeping pace is also a must - if you aren't seeing something right away, guess/mark/move.

Keyhole: Pretty basic, similar to topscore. A few had some very nasty tricks though that I didn't see upon first glance.

Orthographic projections: Simple - similar to topscore. Pretty sure I got all of them.

Angles - ahh angles. I will not lie, this is the hardest section. More difficult than achiever and topscore. However, if you really look hard, they are doable. If they give you angles with one long end, and one short, try picturing the number 7. You would be surprised how much this helps for determining size.

There isn't much else on strat..you just need to practice and not freak out.

Hole punch - Easy for the most part. One or two of them had some pretty tough folds though. Similar to topscore with 1 or 2 DAT achiever quality problems.

Cube counting - Basic stuff, use the method in Kaplan or barrons, or your own version. Just count everything and answer afterwards.

Paper folding - Suprisingly easy. I think Topscore had tougher folding problems. There were only 2 or 3 that even had shading.

Reading Comprehension
Diagnostic- 19
Actual - 18

My only failure- I honestly don't know what happened. I was scoring 25-29 on RC on DAT achiever and Topscore. I think I may have been pondering a lot of the science section still because the break left me thinking that biology may not have gone well : /

Lesson, FOCUS FOCUS FOCUS

astronomy and two biology sections were given to me.

Quantitative Reasoning
Diagnostic - 15
Actual - 19

Pleasantly easy. Not too heavy on word problems (and the ones I ran into were simple). Very basic trig and algebra. Just need to keep pace.

So there you have it. I think test composure/confidence is the real key to doing well. If you see a tough problem, just relax and think it through logically. While the SNS and PAT sections are most important, don't blow off the other two, they still add/deduct from your AA!!

If you have any further questions, feel free to post or PM me. Once again, please don't ask for SPECIFIC examples from my test.

and for those of you who don't care and only wanted to see my scores!

Bio-21
gchem-20
ochem-20
TS-20
PAT-22
RC-18
QR-19
AA-20

Time to take a shot for every point on my AA. Good day all!

Members don't see this ad.

For the biology section, would you say the Kaplan book was enough preparation? I don't find a lot about plants or classification in that book. I'm okay with human biology, I just don't know a whole lot about any of the other kingdoms. What would you recommend as far as depth on the other kingdoms?

Congrats on finishing so well!

The Kaplan book was a little sparce in some places. It does a good job outlining everything - but a few areas may need to be reviewed in depth with other materials. It really depends on how well you retain information. Classes also really help. I took histology last semester and nailed every question regarding blood cells, bone growth, tissue, and so forth.

I had a biology professor running our reviews on monday nights so every week I would come in with questions and she would review whatever we asked. I also used old bio text books to review taxonomy and plants. The questions aren't that difficult as long as you have a basic understanding.

Almost every bio book has a table that lists all the major groups - porifera, annelida, echinoderms, ect. Those tables outline all the major information you should know like circulation, digestion, segmentation, ect. Basically know what makes them different from others.

Same for plants. Know the basic divisions and what makes them unique.

Members don't see this ad :)
Great scores! As for your time spent, about how many hours did you study each day for those three months? Unfortuantely, I'll only have about 1 full month to study, so i'm pretty nervous. Also, how long ago did you take your biology? I looked at Kaplan and felt overwhelmed with all the information!

Thanks,

kokobean said:
Great scores! As for your time spent, about how many hours did you study each day for those three months? Unfortuantely, I'll only have about 1 full month to study, so i'm pretty nervous. Also, how long ago did you take your biology? I looked at Kaplan and felt overwhelmed with all the information!

Thanks,

I actually haven't taken entry level biology yet. I declared my major midway through first semester so I missed it. Scheduling conflicts have forced me to take it next semester as a senior...I am trying to get it waived. However, I have taken genetics, molecular cell bio, histology, biochem, attributes of life, and vertebrate bio. I took these courses over the last 5 semesters and they all helped out my studying through old notes/texts.

As for daily studying..I didn't really have a 'set' time. My review group met on mondays and fridays for 2 hours and I usually didn't study any more on those days. DAT review fluctuated whenever I had tests in my current semester courses. I would say I averaged 20-25 hours a week. Over spring break I did 6 days of 10hour study sessions. The last 2 weeks I toned it down to 2-3 hours daily and almost no studying the last few days.

If you remember most of your stuff, a month is ample time to prepare (especially if you aren't bogged down by current classwork). Just outline the bio section in kaplan, if some stuff still feels hazy or you continue to bomb practice tests, figure out which topics are hurting, and find other texts to broaden your knowledge.

Chrono1984 said:
Well I can happily pronounce my DAT as completed! Hasn't quite sunken in how much free time I have again. I have used SDN as a resource for a bit now, so I can finally contribute a little and hopefully help others out.

First off, yes I remember several questions and NO, I will not post them here or in private. That violates SDN policy as well as DAT regulations. Please don't ask.

I will post my inital diagnostic scores vs my actual results. While I have technically been studying for this test a long time (just by going to organic chem class) - for the sake of simplicity, I started true earnest DAT study in early Feb. Approx. 3 months of solid studying.

MATERIALS:

I did not take the Kaplan course. However, my school offers a review class for DAT hopefuls and I did attend those classes (700$). They were run every monday and friday for 2 hours with 2 profs from my school. monday was biology and quantitative (pretty much all bio though). Friday was chemistry (and a little PAT).

While the actual sessions were not extremely helpful, they kept me motivated and on track. The class provided me with the Kaplan blue book and the Barrons book. They also had an initial diagnostic test and gave out the ADA booklet test as well. Topscore was also included. I was also allowed to borrow a cambells biology book from a prof.

I went out and got DAT achiever on my own. It was by far the most useful for preparation. The PAT and SNS sections are excellent review/practice.

I also got AcetheDAT. My advice - do not bother. Take all the mistakes in the barrons book and multiply that by about 50. AcetheDAT left me questioning my abilities mostly because the majority of their questions are WRONG and/or worded terribly.

Most of my studying was done on my own. I mapped out the biology section in kaplan which took a LONG TIME. But it really helped me to write everything down.

For ochem, I divided all the reactions into functional groups and put them on paper as well. Very helpful. I only needed to grind reactions because I remembered the IUPAC/nmr/stereochemistry/ect. material from class.

gchem.. oh my. I pretty much had to teach myself everything again. Gchem at my school was too easy and I didn't retain much. However, after a solid weak or so of review, it started to come back.

I did a lot of PAT practice which I will go into later. Quant and RC was barely focused on. I didn't care about math in HS, so I didn't have the motivation to really study for it (most of it came back on its own through practice tests).

OK OK, on to the test:

I had to be up at 6am in order to make it to the test center in time. I am not a big breakfast eater, so I just made an instant breakfast. Other people think food is important, but it wasn't for me. I had a power bar during the break with some water.

Biology:
Diagnostic - 16
Actual - 21

I was intimidated by the biology section. Many questions were very unfamiliar with what I had reviewed. There was a lot of plant stuff. There were about FIVE taxonomy questions. However, the questions were not impossible. You just need to relax and look at your options. Common sense should usually eliminate a few choices. I was surprised at my score however, I did not think it would have turned out so good.

There were several very basic genetics questions. Know your organelles and diffs between prok/eukaryotes.

General Chemistry
Diagnostic - 12
Actual - 20

The gen chem was the easiest science section. Very little calculations were required. Similar to the ADA test. There were a few off the wall questions about tests that I had never heard of, but other than that, quite straight-forward.

Organic Chemistry
Diagnostic - 13
Actual - 20

The first question was crazy. I almost lost my composure but was relieved to see the rest of the section being normal. The first questions was worded very poorly and took me a minute to understand what they were asking. It was a 5 step reaction that required a lot more thinking than I was prepared for (although I think I got it right!)

Basically know your reactions: grignard, diels alder, williamson ether synth...reductions/oxidations, sn1,sn2,e1,e2, blah blah blah.

Perceptual Ability
Diagnostic - 13
Actual - 22

The pride of my test. 97th percentile will leave anyone smiling. Please note that studying DAT achiever PAT will really help you out. I also started doing drills without thinking. I would see the front of a chair in class, and imagine the top and side views! The important thing is practice!! Keeping pace is also a must - if you aren't seeing something right away, guess/mark/move.

Keyhole: Pretty basic, similar to topscore. A few had some very nasty tricks though that I didn't see upon first glance.

Orthographic projections: Simple - similar to topscore. Pretty sure I got all of them.

Angles - ahh angles. I will not lie, this is the hardest section. More difficult than achiever and topscore. However, if you really look hard, they are doable. If they give you angles with one long end, and one short, try picturing the number 7. You would be surprised how much this helps for determining size.

Hole punch - Easy for the most part. One or two of them had some pretty tough folds though. Similar to topscore with 1 or 2 DAT achiever quality problems.

Cube counting - Basic stuff, use the method in Kaplan or barrons, or your own version. Just count everything and answer afterwards.

Paper folding - Suprisingly easy. I think Topscore had tougher folding problems. There were only 2 or 3 that even had shading.

Reading Comprehension
Diagnostic- 19
Actual - 18

My only failure- I honestly don't know what happened. I was scoring 25-29 on RC on DAT achiever and Topscore. I think I may have been pondering a lot of the science section still because the break left me thinking that biology may not have gone well : /

Quantitative Reasoning
Diagnostic - 15
Actual - 19

Pleasantly easy. Not too heavy on word problems (and the ones I ran into were simple). Very basic trig and algebra. Just need to keep pace.

So there you have it. I think test composure/confidence is the real key to doing well. If you see a tough problem, just relax and think it through logically. While the SNS and PAT sections are most important, don't blow off the other two, they still add/deduct from your AA!!

If you have any further questions, feel free to post or PM me. Once again, please don't ask for SPECIFIC examples from my test.

Bio-21
gchem-20
ochem-20
TS-20
PAT-22
RC-18
QR-19
AA-20

Congrats! Good job!
How did you approach RC? Did you read the text first, or you went directly to the questions and then skimmed the text?

Gasedo said:
Congrats! Good job!
How did you approach RC? Did you read the text first, or you went directly to the questions and then skimmed the text?

Directly look at questions and skim. This strategy worked for me on every practice test to get 25+ in RC. I didn't feel like I did worse on the actual test either, but I must have made some real bonehead mistakes.

Chrono1984 said:
Directly look at questions and skim. This strategy worked for me on every practice test to get 25+ in RC. I didn't feel like I did worse on the actual test either, but I must have made some real bonehead mistakes.
Wow, I am applying this strategy for my practice tests, but can’t get more than 18. Maybe because English is my second language. :(

Chrono1984 said:

MATERIALS:

OK OK, on to the test:

Biology:
Diagnostic - 16
Actual - 21

General Chemistry
Diagnostic - 12
Actual - 20

Organic Chemistry
Diagnostic - 13
Actual - 20

Perceptual Ability
Diagnostic - 13
Actual - 22

Reading Comprehension
Diagnostic- 19
Actual - 18

Quantitative Reasoning
Diagnostic - 15
Actual - 19

Bio-21
gchem-20
ochem-20
TS-20
PAT-22
RC-18
QR-19
AA-20

Nice job on the DAT what are you gpa and sci gpa?

teefRcool said:
Nice job on the DAT what are you gpa and sci gpa?

If I finish this semester on track. I will be posting a 3.75 cummulative and 3.8sci GPA on my application. Rough estimates...my school uses A- and B+ the same way AADSAS does, so it shouldn't move much.

You mention the Dat Achiever... what is this and how did you get it?

Thanks for sharing your experience. I can feel my blood pressure rise whenever I think about my near summer and the DAT.

delightful said:
You mention the Dat Achiever... what is this and how did you get it?

Thanks for sharing your experience. I can feel my blood pressure rise whenever I think about my near summer and the DAT.

DAT Achiever is similar to topscore in that it provides you with 3 computerized practice tests. You can download it straight from the website and they will send you an activation code after you cough up 50$.

The tests are made much more difficult than the actual test (for the most part). So don't use DAT achiever to predict you score. In the science section, I scored a 15/15/17 on my last practice and no higher than a 17 in the PAT. These tests are just great prep material..I could go on and on.

Use it to practice and learn. I found it most useful for the PAT section which is MUCH harder than the real test (with the exception of angle ranking). They provide you with solutions that have 3-d models for you to move around and get a better grasp of the 2-d picture.

Well worth the money in my opinion, here is the link.

http://www.3tquest.com/

delightful said:
thanks.

does it work like TopScore and expire within a time frame?

Yes, it simulates a real DAT exam and it expires just like TopScore, I think in 7 months.