Top 10 Schools...How different are requirements?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

grahambranchno9

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
All over the web you read about the general requirements for med school. How different are these for those wanting to attend a top tier school? Is it purely a function of GPA and MCAT, or do top schools require more impressive extra-currics, research, etc?

Also, I'm able to exempt Chem I and go straight to Chem II because of AP Chemistry in High School. However, this was sophomore year when I was 15-16, and I will be matriculating at Med School at 23 or so. Is this OK, considering I took Chem II during undergrad anyway? It's the same situation for Bio and Calc.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

grahambranchno9 said:
All over the web you read about the general requirements for med school. How different are these for those wanting to attend a top tier school? Is it purely a function of GPA and MCAT, or do top schools require more impressive extra-currics, research, etc?

Also, I'm able to exempt Chem I and go straight to Chem II because of AP Chemistry in High School. However, this was sophomore year when I was 15-16, and I will be matriculating at Med School at 23 or so. Is this OK, considering I took Chem II during undergrad anyway? It's the same situation for Bio and Calc.

Thanks

Hello, I was in a similar situation. I got a 5 on AP chem my sophomore year of high school. I re-did chemistry anyway in college, despite getting credit and being able to go straight to Organic. In retrospect, it was a good decision. I got an A+ in both semesters of freshman chemistry, and knew inorganic chem really well on the MCAT.

I am currently at the very end of my 4th year in med school at a top tier school. I applied to med schools at all tiers, and was accepted to all the schools where I interviewed, including Harvard, Hopkins, Wash U and Duke. I firmly believe what I was once told at a pre-med seminar-- scores (GPA, MCAT) get you an interview, but from that point on, your acceptance is nearly all contingent on your interview performance. Some research experience is also good (mine was a really chill summer program) and of course, you need to appear to have interests outside of medicine. I have friends with MCAT scores >40 and 4.0 GPA who did not get accepted to top med schools mainly because they are weak in interviews.

Hope this helps. Good Luck.

grahambranchno9 said:

If it were purely a function of GPA and MCAT, then the "top tier" schools (however you want to define them) would have matriculant averages of 4.0/40. They don't. So obviously they are looking for someone who excels on multiple fronts. In general the numerical stats are fairly high, "plus" other factors. But someone with a 3.7/35 and unique and interesting ECs probably beats the 4.0/40 with boring "same old" ECs more often than not. I think most schools work this way -- looking for balance, the whole package. It's just that the more prestigious places often get the first pick of the litter.

What you did in high school will not help you on the MCAT or your Science GPA. The better decision is to take those courses and do well in them. They are your foundations courses.
Your GPA and MCAT will get you in the door for an interview - from there it is your intangables that gets you into medical school. They are looking for people who can interview well, have really good verbal ability and have done
You pick one (research, volunteer work, other activities that show you are well rounded) If you do these all, they will help more with the top ten.
They want to see that you are not one of these students that studied 16X7 and took Kaplan test prep twice a year till test time. If you can't interview well - then I would find someone to help you in that area. I think this goes for just about any school. Any place I got an interview - I go accepted. I was pretty social in college and was president of my frat. It cost me in gpa but gave me the skills that I was able to hold me own against a pretty rabid interviewer and turn him to my side by the end of the interview. He never did ask me why I wanted to go to medical school. Yes, the interview was that bad. So do your work. It will pay off in the end. If you read the book on med school reqirements - it can scare the daylights out of you. Pick 8 schools in different tiers visit them before you apply. The object is to become a MD.