What books for derm rotation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JohnHolmes

Large Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going to do a 3rd year "elective" derm rotation. What books are good/recommended? Blue prints? What text is good for a non sub I that can be done (rotation is 4 weeks long).

JH

Members don't see this ad.

Principles of Dermatology by Lookingbill and Marks is a great basic text for your first dermatology rotation, and easy to get through. It doesn't have many pictures, so I would supplement with a derm atlas, although most derm clinics will have a few laying around that you can use while on your rotation.
Good luck!

how about "how to count my money" and "I'm smart but lazy" :laugh:

just a good humored ribbing

Members don't see this ad :)
DrNick2006 said:
how about "how to count my money" and "I'm smart but lazy" :laugh:

just a good humored ribbing

I have bought "how to count my money" and have found it to be a easy to read and reliable text. It recommends various investment techniques, and not carrying your money wadded into your fists after 12:00 am walking down the street in a city.

JH

I liked the Color atlas of dermatology by Fitzpatrick ("baby Fitz") - most depts will have one, but if you are thinking of going into derm it is a good investment. Tons of pictures and concise descriptions. Lookingbill is easy to get through, but too basic to cover you for anything but the run-of-the-mill type conditions.

House Officer Series: Dermatology by Lynch

Best starting derm book hands down, but currently out of print, so you gotta get it online used. No pictures, which is a drawback, but very educational and written for med studs or residents in all fields including derm. Do yourself a favor and start with it

c diddy said:

Best starting derm book hands down, but currently out of print, so you gotta get it online used. No pictures, which is a drawback, but very educational and written for med studs or residents in all fields including derm. Do yourself a favor and start with it
Man, amazon has one copy, used left. I wonder if ebay will have it

what about "Field Guide to Clinical Dermatology" by Frankel?

Anybody else have any additional recommendations for a text? Do most programs provide their own specific school text (ex. packet of readings)?

I vote Habif. But if you have a test at the end, you'll need to buy something that summarizes more, along with an atlas. If you don't have a test, go with Habif-you'll use it for the rest of your career. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
When I was a med student a chief resident told be to get this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Dermatology-S...bs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1201023447&sr=1-1

If you know this book you'll be able to answer most pimp questions during clinic.

Thanks Long. I was actually considering this book. Currently using the Peds one for Peds and I like it! Well, I guess the wondering is over. Habif for the reference book sorts of stuff and Secrets for the pimping. Thanks again!

any new advice on great books for derm rotations?

Thankx for those recommendation i was also in need, any free good sites about dermatology case discussion plz...

How do people feel about Andrews'? Is it widely used by residents?

Lookingbill and Marks is my favorite book for derm rotations. I did 4 derm rotations and used it for all 4.

No comparison.

Andrews is waayyy too detailed for any rotator to deal with. Habif is a substantially better option for all rotators and all starting 1st yr Derm residents for that matter. Andrews is essentially a Dermatology Board Review book: a lot of condensed details, has everything one needs to know for the boards, but is not as good for practical day-to-day Derm practice as Habif.

Habif is almost as long as Andrews but focuses on the more commonplace diseases and has much better pictures, clinical pearls and is easier to read. Reading Andrews is like reading an abridged encyclopedia.

Kind of off-topic, but how long do dermatology rotations typically last? I know four weeks is standard for neurosurgery. And are they considered sub-i's or electives? Also, how important are sub-i's in the match process? Thanks.

they are electives and usually last 4 weeks. Most interested in derm take 2-3 electives, some more or less

Bump.

Lookingbill and Marks seems like sort of a fan favorite here. Is that still the case? Derm Secrets looks like a good book to have too. I feel like some combination of Lookingbill, Secrets, and Baby Fitz (but not all three) might be good?

Bump.

Lookingbill and Marks seems like sort of a fan favorite here. Is that still the case? Derm Secrets looks like a good book to have too. I feel like some combination of Lookingbill, Secrets, and Baby Fitz (but not all three) might be good?

Check with your rotating site, many of them have pre-printed materials or loaner books they can provide.

I personally found Secrets to be the easiest one to read. I know Lookingbill is popular but I just did not like the way it was set up.

Baby Fitz is good as well and was loaned out to me by a couple of programs, I get the feeling it is more useful as a reference than as an actual book to try and get through.

I have been rec'ing Baby Fitz and Secrets to our med student derm rotators lately. I liked little Habif when I was going through my rotations as a med student. But I think Baby Fitz is probably the better choice in retrospect.

I have been rec'ing Baby Fitz and Secrets to our med student derm rotators lately. I liked little Habif when I was going through my rotations as a med student. But I think Baby Fitz is probably the better choice in retrospect.

While on my rotations, I felt secrets and baby fitz were a little too detailed for what I was expected and used them solely for references rather than reading them cover to cover. I thought that lookingbill was a great introductory text that could be read in a weekend and prepared me quite well.

Principles of Dermatology by Lookingbill and Marks is a great basic text for your first dermatology rotation, and easy to get through. It doesn't have many pictures, so I would supplement with a derm atlas, although most derm clinics will have a few laying around that you can use while on your rotation.
Good luck!

I liked that book, but I got reamed on my second derm rotation because they use a different size cutoff for a macule vs. patch, etc., compared to what's in Fitzpatrick's (0.5 cm vs. cm).

I"ll put in another vote for Lookingbill. It's not a good reference for complicated cases, but it is easy to get through in a weekend and it will cover a lot of what you need to know. Most programs aren't expecting resident-level knowledge out of you on an elective. Lookingbill more than prepared me for everyday pimping questions.

Hi
yes it is avery good book i am searching for it. I had a copy which was lost. Can u help me insearching electronic/blue print copy.:)

Hey all, thanks for the recs. To go along with these resources are there any question books or online qbanks? I learn best with questions.

I’d prefer Dermatology Secrets in Color, I think it will be the best for you.

Hi,

what about Vivier, "Atlas of Clinical Dermatology"? I haven't found this book in the "hit lists" of dermatology books, but the reviews (amazon) are good and the pictures I saw at googlebooks seem very impressing to me. Any critics concerning this book?

And what do yout think about this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Differential-Diagnosis-Dermatology-Richard-Ashton/dp/1857756606
Also good reviews, and I liked the diagrams for diagnosis, but I don't know, whether it is usable.