PhD to MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Creightonite

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently in a science-related PhD program and decided to apply to med school after I am done.I was wondering how is my grad school GPA will be weighed. Also, I really i do not think taking post bac classes will do anything since Already have liked 128 credits. Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

well, thank for posting those. some of those thread i have searched before. I have not found an answer though what to do about the lowish undergrad grades. Someone said the commitee mentioned only his/her GPA and someone said the committee will pay more attention the the undergrand and PhD is just an EC. I guess, I will end up going to medschool office and just ask them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your undergrad grades are more important than graduate school work. However, if you do well on the MCAT, you can over come this.

Undergrad GPA >> graduate GPA. This is why med schools encourage people with low undergrad GPA to do post-bacc NOT grad school. Since grad level courses do not increase your undergrad GPA.

Undergrad GPA is weighed more because most people apply with only undergrad GPA, and thus levels the playing field between applicants. Graduate courses are also variable in their difficulty, not to mention the motivation of grad students is a lot higher, thus grad GPA tends to be higher.

To put things into perspective, I'm also a PhD student and currently my cum GPA is 4.0. I am in frequent communication with our director of admissions at our med school, and he has always encouraged me to take more undergrad classes to boost my undergrad GPA. He says that they will acknowledge my 4.0 (in a good way), but will be very concerned about my undergrad (UG) GPA. My MCAT, which is a 36, so makes them feel a tad better. They also acknowledge that most of my PhD courses were actually our med shcool courses, so they will also take that into account. But the fact remains, they want me to do more undergrad. So i'm essentially doing a full PhD program, plus a post-bacc program at the same time. ;)

Creightonite said:
I am currently in a science-related PhD program and decided to apply to med school after I am done. I looked back in my undergrad grades and ended u with a 3.1 oa and 3.2 in sciences. My grad gpa is 3.65. I was wondering how is my grad school GPA will be weighed. Also, I really i do not think taking post bac classes will do anything since Already have liked 128 credits. Any advice?
Every medical school you ask advice from right now will give you a slightly different answer. Unless you are gung ho about one school, applying to many diverse schools is critical to maximize your chance of success. Even applying with a Ph.D., medical schools care about your undergraduate GPA and they care about it a lot. It's a well-known fact that graduate school GPA's are a little more subjective. However, unless you have a ton of C's or worse in the undergraduate sciences (coupled with your nice graduate school GPA) I would not recommend repeating undergraduate courses. I see a lot of posts on SDN recommending this and I've even heard some premed advisors recommend this but, honestly, as a Ph.D. applicant, If you can handle upper division science courses and you are well-published, there's nothing whatsoever to be gained from repeating chem 101, bio 101 etc. or doing more postbacc undergraduate classes. It's lunacy and I'll justify this statement in the next paragraph.

I have several friends who did an M.D. after their Ph.D. Of those friends with undergraduate GPA's between 3.0 and 3.3, a fine MCAT performance coupled with publications is how they sold themselves. It's true that many schools screen heavily on the undergraduate GPA (especially state schools) and some of them even use a computer program to do this so they won't even see that fact that you've distinguished yourself as a research scholar. Expect to be screened out by many of those schools, so you must apply widely. If you are in communication with only one medical school that you are dying to attend, you pretty much have to do what they ask and you can ignore my advice which is intended for the general Ph.D. applicant with a couple of red flags in their application. To increase your chances, I would still apply widely anyway. I know too many people who have been 'promised' things by admissions ccommittees before application only to be devastated if things did not go as they expected. In the and, an offer of admission is a committee decision.

If you sell yourself tastefully, you can get into medical school. Expect to be taken more seriously by research-oriented schools who will anticipate your career goal of being a clinician-scientist and they may recognize your research accomplishments a little better. It's a well-known fact by people who have taken this route that an applicant with a very 'average' GPA and/or MCAT is more likely to get into a private medical school because they can admit whomever they please. Note: I am not implying that private medical schools have uniformly lower standards. Private medical schools make so much money from RO1's and tuition etc. and, unlike state schools that are mandated to pump out x number of doctors per year (so they're not going to chance you flunking out), private schools don't work that way. Much like QofQuimica, I did not have an undergraduate GPA and, unlike QofQuimica, my MCAT performance was pretty mediocre so I know I was screened out by some schools right away. I expected it and so I didn't take it personally. With a good graduate school GPA and several high-impact publications, guess which schools took me most seriously as a Ph.D. applicant to medical school?.....the higher-ranked private schools. I didn’t believe it when I was told to expect this before I applied, but that’s exactly what I experienced.

You can't change your past so don't punish yourself. Take as many graduate courses as your school will allow and do well in them. Study for the MCAT like your life depended on it and try to scoop up as many publications and awards as you can during your Ph.D. Also be aware that all medical schools will want to see sustained evidence of health care experience and exposure so you know what you’re getting yourself into. In the end, a Ph.D. is just a piece of paper that demsonstrates perseverance and the training in medical school requires very different intellectual and personal traits. This is the best way you can market yourself. If I can get in, you can too. Lastly, be careful what you wish for: you might just get it! ;) Good luck!

Hi there,
Your undergraduate GPA will be weighted more heavily than your graduate GPA. It is expected that your graduate GPA will be much higher than your undergraduate GPA. You need to make sure that you have completed all of your Ph.D work before you apply and do well on the MCAT.

You also need to do the other AMCAS application stuff like extracurricular activities, good LORs etc. It is good to have one from your committee chair in the mix. Publications are nice to have also.

Good luck!
njbmd :)

I want to add, that I also have a undergrad GPA of <3.0, so yea that is also my justification to do more undergrad classes while doing my PhD (trying to get it up to 3.0 so I don't get screened from the schools in CA). I agree with what Scottish Chap is saying. Sell yourself in whatever way you can since I think the beauty of having a PhD is you have 4 years of extra academic, extracurricular, and personal experience to throw at the adcoms. Which can be a good or a bad thing, it just depends on how YOU make it:).

thanks for the encouraging words. I will calculate my GPA today and see how the things go. I think if a person can handle a stress of PhD with two oral qualification exams in our school and thesis defence, he/she will most likely to do in MD school. In PhD we dig deep in whatever we study i think much more than MD students who have to cover more material in a wide range of topics. MD is almost like undergrad where like one of my professors said "in college you lean nothing about everything and grad school is where you learn everything about nothing"

I am going to meed with some addmisions people next week and see what they will say. My an intl student as well which makes this even more complicated.

Scottish Chap said:
Much like QofQuimica, I did not have an undergraduate GPA and, unlike QofQuimica, my MCAT performance was pretty mediocre. I know I was screened out by some schools right away. I expected it and so I didn't take it personally. With a good graduate school GPA and several high-impact publications, guess which schools took me most seriously as a Ph.D. applicant to medical school?.....the higher-ranked private schools. I didn’t believe it when I was told to expect this before I applied, but that’s exactly what I experienced.
Interesting. I actually had a mixed experience, and it is pretty difficult for me to draw any clear conclusions based on the schools' stated missions from my outcomes. I applied to four state schools, and then most of the rest were private research-oriented schools. All of the schools that rejected me, whether pre-secondary or post-interview, were private research-oriented schools. My state schools are familiar with my college and have accepted previous alums. So they did waive their UG GPA requirements and accept me, as did a couple of other public schools that I applied to in two other states to which I have ties. On the other hand, like you, most of the schools that ended up accepting me were private research-oriented schools, so.... :confused:

I guess the proper conclusion to draw is that schools, like people, have different institutional cultures and different amounts of willingness to take a risk on someone with an unusual academic background. So I will second your advice to apply to lots of schools, because it's hard to know ahead of time who will take someone like you, and who won't. :)

Hi everyone,

This is my first time posting on here. It's late and I don't know how I ended up finding this site but somehow I managed to find this thread that caught my eye. I briefly read the above replies but I can't remember them right now so if I sound repetitive, I'm sorry. I would appreciate any advice because I am really confused about my life. So here's my story (bear with me):

My plan was to go to medical school. My undergrad GPA was a 3.82 with a BA in Biology (didn't do a thesis) at a well-known university in the US. I had volunteered in a hospital but I had no real research experience even though I tried.

Everything was going smoothly up until the MCAT. I took TPR early and took the April administration. I blew it with a 22 (4,9,9). WTF happened right? It was Verbal that did me in. Ok, I barely did any practice the whole course. That's when my life came crashing down. Premed advisor told me not to take August. So I delayed. Cut to now...

Immediately after graduation, I enrolled in a science PhD program at a decent medical school. Not my choice really. Parents said it was the best secure thing for me and it would pay the bills. Otherwise I would suffer.
They were probably right. Right now tuition/room is free and I get a stipend. Loans are almost paid off. I rationalized that since I didn't have lab experience that this would force me to do it and get a thesis at the same time.

Actually I shouldn't have been accepted without previous research experience but I made it in with the help of a kind professor who felt sorry for me. I am forever in debted to him. Now I'm in the midst of taking the PhD qualifying exam in a couple of months even though I feel like I shouldn't be here at all.
I've only been here for a year and they want me to qualify already. There's so much I don't know and I'm afraid that I won't pass.

Also what's been bothering me is that the MCAT is switching to computers now after August. I took a refresher Kaplan course last September hoping to take the April but I was overwhelmed with PhD stuff. Didn't do too much practice either. I then decided to take August but then the graduate school informed me that I had to take the qualifying exam before September. I'm torn between preparing for the paper MCAT a couple of years after I took it or really paying attention to my qualifying exam. I know I know I keep making up excuses but its because there seems to be something more important that keeps coming up. I'm actually afraid to take the MCAT again (especially on computer) for fear I'll never go up. I don't even want to practice Verbal because what if my scores don't increase?

I haven't told anyone of my "double life." My grad GPA so far is an A-/A. I'm not really good at the whole research thing but after conversations with real first and second year medical students I am beginning to doubt that I could have handled the material in the first place. BTW, I'm only 22.

What should I do??? I plan on finishing the PhD, but I'm afraid that this is God's way of telling me that my dream of becoming a physician should end.

I'm sorry for the novel but I had a complicated problem that I didn't know how to solve or tell. Hopefully people can shed some light on the subject. Thank you.

pargeo712,

Come back and talk to us after the qualifying exam :) . You will be in a better place to figure things out after that since you can at least get out with a masters. BUT, I would encourage you to hang in there. PhD programs were never meant to be a trip to Disneyland.

Nobody should be pressuring you to take the QE, especially after the first year. You take the QE when you are READY, just like the MCAT. My PI encouraged me to take the QE this year (I am a first year) since as of today (literally) I have finished all of my course requirements. So it is good to do the QE when you still have most of the material semi-fresh in your mind, and if you have some thesis project on your mind already.

Your reasons for doing a PhD program are not optimal, but you are here, and that is the past. I wouldn't put research as one of my top skills, but I am nevertheless in a PhD program, and enjoying it. If you are truly unhappy with where you are, then after the QE you can always bail out with a masters. But if this is just lack of self-confidence, rather than lack of knowledge, then I suggest you to suck it up and press forward:).

As for the MCAT, you will probably feel better about the MCAT after taking the QE;). The MCAT can be prepared for, its a standardized exam, regardless if its on paper or in electronic format. I took the MCAT twice already, earning a 36 nearly 3 years ago. Obviously when I apply to med school after finishing my PhD, I will have to take the MCAT again. The MCAT is indeed challenging, but certainly overrated. Your worse enemy in this game, and in life is YOURSELF. Don't psych yourself out, but also know where your limits are, and maximize on your strengths:). Hope that helps!

Creightonite said:
I am currently in a science-related PhD program and decided to apply to med school after I am done. I looked back in my undergrad grades and ended u with a 3.1 oa and 3.2 in sciences. My grad gpa is 3.65. I was wondering how is my grad school GPA will be weighed. Also, I really i do not think taking post bac classes will do anything since Already have liked 128 credits. Any advice?

Hi there,
Finish your Ph.D (or at least get to the point where you know you will finish within one semester) and then work on your medical school application. You DO need to do well on the MCAT. Your undergraduate grades will be a problem if you attend a school that strictly screens by undergraduate GPA.

By the time you are done with your Ph.D, you should have one or two research papers under your belt. You also have plenty of time to make some contacts that will provide you with good LORs (one should be your Ph.D chairman).

Since you have already finished undergraduate, you really cannot do much about your undergraduate grades but you can make sure that your MCAT scores are high, your LORs are excellent and your extracurriculars are solid. Those things coupled with a very strong graduate GPA should get you into medical school if you apply smart.

njbmd :)

Hey there...

I have a different perspective on the PhD to MD thing...I would advise that if you really want to become a physician, DO IT. And do it sooner rather than later. I am on track to complete my doctoral progam next year, and I made the decision to pursue the MD in my second year in the program. I am at a well known university and my program does not offer a masters, so it's PhD or nothing (ave time to graduate is 6yrs). I made the decision to stay in the program because among other reasons, I believed that this experience would help me to help others in the future. Although I knew that the journey would be tough, I didn't know how tough it could really get. At this point in your program (1st, 2nd year) you may feel pressure, but it is minimal compared to what you will face once you have to define your project and find your way out when you have data but no real story. Time soon becomes your enemy, and you must have something powerful to keep you motivated, especially if research is not something that you like to do.

Unlike med school, the grad school experience can be drastically different for each grad student. Depending on your PI and your program, you may have a great time (support from your program and more assistance and attention from the PI) or it can be very difficult, especially when you have to go it alone. The PhD is a long process. I suggest that you think long and hard about why you want to complete the program and the benefits that it will provide for your future endeavors.

I have a friend who began a PhD program in Texas, left the program (after 2 yrs) so that she could follow her boyfriend to another state, applied and was accepted to my grad program. During her first year here, she realized that she really wanted to pursue medicine, so she studied for the MCAT while she was taking her grad classes, applied to and was accepted to the Medical school here, and many other med schools. She is now happily completing her first year as a Med student.

I also know of other PhD students who stayed the course and completed the PhD and entered med school afterwards.

All in all, what I want to say is think carefully about your decision, either way, it is a tough road ahead. I believe that you can excell either way, but it would be much more fulfilling if you follow your heart.

Good luck!!!

Thanks for the replies.

I really appreciate hearing other opinions on my situation because I really had no avenue to express what I was going through with anyone.

My story, I know, is a sad one (not that pursuing the PhD is any less significant. I have such a higher respect for the profession after going through the beginning stages!) but it's sad in the respect that it wasn't what I planned on doing in the first place, I screwed up, and I technically am "stuck" until I finish. My PI snatched me up when I didn't expect him to. (What's funny is that all my LORs for grad school were about how I could be a great physician! You can laugh there. Haha I couldn't get new ones because I'd already used up my stock of names for med school and some of them wouldn't write another one for me because they saw I didn't have passion for the PhD profession. Not a good time for ethics, I needed new LORs!) My PI was the first person to ever care about helping out someone who needed help and experience. This was the type of reaching out I never experienced when I tried volunteering or applying to research assistant positions at my alma mater or at other universities. My PI is the sole reason I am in grad school to begin with. In that way, I feel that I should finish what I started with him. I owe him that at least. I get along with him very well, more than I could have expected. My PI is around a lot and believes in frequent contact with students.

Yes I understand that my track will be tough. Especially for a student who has never had any real research experience outside pre-med labs. Right now I feel like I'm playing catch up with all the rest of the PhDs and MD/PhDs who are well into their late 20s/30s, married and have tons of experience underneath their belts. That's why the qualifying exam is scaring me because I wasn't planning on taking it so soon, but it's required now for all finishing first-years. And I'd have to take it by August/September 2006 at (same time as the last paper MCAT test). So that's why I felt so torn and had to vent to this forum. There's so much experience that I didn't go through as an undergraduate and I feel that doing the PhD track route is just the solution for my "pre-med inadequacies." They may not be the best reasons to be in the program, but again it seems to be the best option for my me. I will get the lab experience I wanted and if I play my cards right, I will have a thesis as well. I will just have to dedicate 4-5 additional years of my life. I'm thinking of even using my whole yearly stipend from grad school to finish paying off my loans. That would definitely help out my parents. As I said, I already have leadership positions for the medical school here and I'm making connections that I wouldn't have if I didn't enter.

It pains me to keep delaying taking my MCAT again because some people would probably keep telling me that "you're going to keep doing it and it will never happen" I might as well take it on computer because eventually I'll have to take the USMLEs on computer anyways so whatever. I hope during my time here I can practice on the bane of my existence: Verbal!

I don't know how long I can keep denying I'm not interested in medicine to rest of my colleagues or medical students. Whenever new people see me, they initially think I'm an MD/PhD candidate and I have to politely have to correct them. I haven't volunteered in forever nor do I feel that I can with my time commitments at grad school. I have to "keep my cover" I suppose. My boss doesn't know about my mental struggle but I assume he might since he did read my LORs. I just remember telling him that I gave up that dream.

I keep thinking that my situation is all a big game testing "how much I can take?" I'm not generally a quitter, but recently I've been saying I want out, but I stay anyways because of what I've accomplished so far here. I will probably apply only to this medical school (and save on all the application fees!) This will be the ultimate challenge for me. Sometimes I get the feeling that "some higher power" is watching my life unfold and wants me to get to certain stages in life at the correct time and I guess when I took the MCAT 2 years ago, it wasn't the right time. I also seem to meet a lot of certain people for a reason. I don't know if anybody else feels like that but I definitely feel that my life heavily revolves around fate. Yes, I believe my largest obstacle will be myself. I just need to have confidence in myself. I guess my time here will be an exercise in confidence building.

I'd be glad to hear more opinions/comments about my situation. Keep 'em coming if you'd like! My name is George.

Threads like this one make me sweat. Don’t quit, I completed a MS, took the MCAT eight months after defending and will start this August. Graduate work in the basic sciences is tough. Like many, I went to graduate school in an attempt to compensate for a craptastic early UG career and possibly turning research into a career if matriculation never became a reality. What’s the aphorism; you don’t really know until you’ve done it? That sums up graduate school. It’s unlike anything else.

Med schools screen based on numbers, so a stellar graduate GPA doesn’t count. A conferred PhD, while a testament to a leviathan amount of work, doesn’t impress too many medical schools. Now a conferred PhD with thirty high impact journal publications, that’s another story. Publishing isn’t easy, in any journal.

Two things I would do. Don’t let your medical school aspirations out. A lot PIs really gave me grief when they discovered I had applied/matriculated. Keep in mind too, many PIs wanted to go to medical school and didn’t. Secondly, like Scottish Chap said, study for the MCAT like it was your salvation because in a way it is. A score >35 opens a lot of doors. Performance has nothing to do with intelligence but everything to do with preparation.

Scottish Chap said:
Every medical school you ask advice from right now will give you a slightly different answer. Unless you are gung ho about one school, applying to many diverse schools is critical to maximize your chance of success. Even applying with a Ph.D., medical schools care about your undergraduate GPA and they care about it a lot. It's a well-known fact that graduate school GPA's are a little more subjective. However, unless you have a ton of C's or worse in the undergraduate sciences (coupled with your nice graduate school GPA) I would not recommend repeating undergraduate courses. I see a lot of posts on SDN recommending this and I've even heard some premed advisors recommend this but, honestly, as a Ph.D. applicant, If you can handle upper division science courses and you are well-published, there's nothing whatsoever to be gained from repeating chem 101, bio 101 etc. or doing more postbacc undergraduate classes. It's lunacy and I'll justify this statement in the next paragraph.

I have several friends who did an M.D. after their Ph.D. Of those friends with undergraduate GPA's between 3.0 and 3.3, a fine MCAT performance coupled with publications is how they sold themselves. It's true that many schools screen heavily on the undergraduate GPA (especially state schools) and some of them even use a computer program to do this so they won't even see that fact that you've distinguished yourself as a research scholar. Expect to be screened out by many of those schools, so you must apply widely. If you are in communication with only one medical school that you are dying to attend, you pretty much have to do what they ask and you can ignore my advice which is intended for the general Ph.D. applicant with a couple of red flags in their application. To increase your chances, I would still apply widely anyway. I know too many people who have been 'promised' things by admissions ccommittees before application only to be devastated if things did not go as they expected. In the and, an offer of admission is a committee decision.

If you sell yourself tastefully, you can get into medical school. Expect to be taken more seriously by research-oriented schools who will anticipate your career goal of being a clinician-scientist and they may recognize your research accomplishments a little better. It's a well-known fact by people who have taken this route that an applicant with a very 'average' GPA and/or MCAT is more likely to get into a private medical school because they can admit whomever they please. Note: I am not implying that private medical schools have uniformly lower standards. Private medical schools make so much money from RO1's and tuition etc. and, unlike state schools that are mandated to pump out x number of doctors per year (so they're not going to chance you flunking out), private schools don't work that way. Much like QofQuimica, I did not have an undergraduate GPA and, unlike QofQuimica, my MCAT performance was pretty mediocre so I know I was screened out by some schools right away. I expected it and so I didn't take it personally. With a good graduate school GPA and several high-impact publications, guess which schools took me most seriously as a Ph.D. applicant to medical school?.....the higher-ranked private schools. I didn’t believe it when I was told to expect this before I applied, but that’s exactly what I experienced.

You can't change your past so don't punish yourself. Take as many graduate courses as your school will allow and do well in them. Study for the MCAT like your life depended on it and try to scoop up as many publications and awards as you can during your Ph.D. Also be aware that all medical schools will want to see sustained evidence of health care experience and exposure so you know what you’re getting yourself into. In the end, a Ph.D. is just a piece of paper that demsonstrates perseverance and the training in medical school requires very different intellectual and personal traits. This is the best way you can market yourself. If I can get in, you can too. Lastly, be careful what you wish for: you might just get it! ;) Good luck!

i've been reading and re-reading many replies on this specific topic - i myself am i a phd student awaiting my mcat scores. i wanted you to know this was the best reply i've read thus far - fair, insightful, encouraging, well thought out...thanks. seriously. thank you. you've given me, a non-traditional student, some great advice. all the best.

pargeo712 said:
My PI is the sole reason I am in grad school to begin with. In that way, I feel that I should finish what I started with him. I owe him that at least. I get along with him very well, more than I could have expected. My PI is around a lot and believes in frequent contact with students.
George, I'm in something of a similar situation (finishing my PhD in the next year, have known for a couple years that ultimately I don't want a job as "just" a research professor), so I empathize. I also agree you should stick through and finish the degree, *especially* since you have an involved and supportive PI. Does he know your plans to apply to med school? Sit down with him soon and have a heart-to-heart. Tell him you're extremely appreciative of his support and inspired to work hard and do great research for his lab, but that ultimately you want to get a project completed and move on. Make it clear that you want to get out fast by *working harder*, not by doing an easier project. If from the outset you have your eyes on a goal, the two of you can devote a lot of early energy to designing a project that will progress quickly and will ideally leave you with publishable information no matter the results you actually get (e.g. a negative result will be as interesting as a positive result, or any of a number of possible outcomes will be interesting, etc.) Your PI will support you and push you hard to get done fast, particularly if you hold up your end of the bargain (work hard, deliver publishable data quickly). I know from experience that if you *don't* start out with a strong timeline you will very quickly find yourself wandering down interesting but time-consuming side lines to explore little quirks in your results, and possibly get completely off-course. If instead at every juncture you make a decision based on the ultimate content of your thesis, and figure you can leave the interesting side experiments to some future grad student, staying on track should be very do-able.

All that said, you're not going to be finishing your PhD in the next three years, so if you take the paper MCAT now, won't the score expire by the time you really need it? Do the qualifying exam, get an idea how long you're really going to need to finish your project, and then do some serious practice on the new computerized exam and take the MCAT closer to your PhD graduation.

Good luck!

thecaptain said:
i've been reading and re-reading many replies on this specific topic - i myself am i a phd student awaiting my mcat scores. i wanted you to know this was the best reply i've read thus far - fair, insightful, encouraging, well thought out...thanks. seriously. thank you. you've given me, a non-traditional student, some great advice. all the best.
Thank you for your encouraging words. Not everyone might agree but I try to be as honest as I can and I only reply to threads I have personal experience of. All the best, and don't give up if this is what you really want to do. Things look a little clearer once you're on the other side of the admissions line.

kate_g said:
Does he know your plans to apply to med school?

All that said, you're not going to be finishing your PhD in the next three years, so if you take the paper MCAT now, won't the score expire by the time you really need it?

Thanks for the reply and for keeping this thread alive. In answer to your question, no, my PI does not know of my plans to apply, if I ever do. However, he does know of my previous interest in it, since (you can laugh) all my recommendation letters to grad school were saying how I could be a great physician. =p My recommenders wouldn't recommend me for grad school due to lack of passion and it was against their beliefs. (Oh, c'mon!) He obviously knows I wanted to at one point, but he believes that I gave up that dream once I started working. So I don't think bringing it up now would be a great idea since I've only been here a year. I was thinking about bringing it up like a year or so before I know I'll graduate. He cannot get mad about what I do after graduation since I'm not under his guidance but he can when I'm his new student expressing interest in something else that doesn't help him at all. Hence why I'm so hush-hush about it.

Actually I was hoping to finish in 3 years! HOPING. NOT likely but HOPING. I just wasn't planning on having much of a life that's all. heh. I'm taking the qualifying in late September of this year. I'll put the MCAT on hold (Sigh, again) and take the computerized exam - less writing, less questions, less time, faster results = better chance for me. Somehow in the next few years I'll fit in Verbal practice.

Again I believe this is all a cruel mind game God is playing on me to see how much I can take. The events I go through and people I meet are too coincidental nowadays for me to think that I'm not supposed to be doing what I'm doing. Gotta stay strong!

We are in almost exactly the same boat.

I'm ending my 5th year of my Ph.D. I have been leading a secret double life for over a year. I don't know how to tell my PI. I get such a huge sense of pessimism in research, everyone knows how hard it is and how it does not get better.

I'm going for the DAT soon but my undergrad grades are likely poor. I did my undergrad in the UK, so it's hard to be sure, but I think they are likely under 3.0. Which is a shame. It was 6 years ago!

I too am very happy to have found this forum.

Have you published (1st author)?

Immuno-guy said:
We are in almost exactly the same boat.

I'm ending my 5th year of my Ph.D. I have been leading a secret double life for over a year. I don't know how to tell my PI. I get such a huge sense of pessimism in research, everyone knows how hard it is and how it does not get better.

I'm going for the DAT soon but my undergrad grades are likely poor. I did my undergrad in the UK, so it's hard to be sure, but I think they are likely under 3.0. Which is a shame. It was 6 years ago!

I too am very happy to have found this forum.

Have you published (1st author)?
My friend who was a 6th year PhD student also lead a 'double life' for 18 months while he was getting ready to apply to medical school. His biggest fear was that his P.I. would be angry and think that he was wasting his Ph.D. He eventually told his P.I. and, like most people (myself included), one's worst fears are never confirmed and his P.I. was his biggest advocate in the end. My friend is now through medical school and starting his residency at Johns Hopkins this week.

Publications will certainly help your case. I believe they mean more to the admissions committee than a Ph.D., but that's just my personal belief.

As for your undergraduate degree being from the U.K......mine was too. There are ways around that (see my previous posts). Good luck to you!