Sabotage?

mayoree

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Interesting dilemma, post opinions or advice or whatever else...
My boyfriend and I are about to move to opposite sides of the United States. We've been together for 3 years and I happen to like him alot. We've decided to be practical and realize that you just can't exclusively date anyone for foour years when you're thousands of miles away, so for now, its like open dating. My problem? My boyfriend is in the "breeding" mood. He says he wants to have kids in 2 years (I'm going to dental school) and when I try to point out the obvious logistical and emotional problems with that, he gets upset. This started popping up when I mentioned how much dentists make and he panicked b/c he's an engineer and does not have that kind of earning potential. What's really his problem? :(

Members don't see this ad.

Old fashioned? Believes man is the head of house and makes the money. Now he's trying to pressure you. Not directly but if all this came up AFTER you discussed salary then it might be.

It will be hard to make this work if you both aren't fully invested and on the same page :( Good luck :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
mayoree said:
...My boyfriend and I are about to move to opposite sides of the United States. We've been together for 3 years and I happen to like him alot. We've decided to be practical and realize that you just can't exclusively date anyone for four years when you're thousands of miles away, so for now, its like open dating...
You're pretty flippant about you a three-year relationship being open, which means that while you may like the guy, you're not commited (being commited =/= like him alot). Who suggested open dating?

He, it seems, isn't so ready to let go. The 'having babies' bit is to try and keep you around (a misogynistic attemp).

Breaking up will probably be the best course for the both of you.

Why cant he move and get a job close to where you will be going to school? If not, then dont bother to waste another breath on it, the relationship wont happen.

Not sure what you are talking about when you say engineers dont have the same potential as dentists tho...you are seriously full of yourself. Let me throw out a few engineering names you might now: Bill Hewlett, David Packard, Steve Wozniak let alone the myriad of engineers that have become great actors and statesmen...even presidents (Jimmy Carter). Now if you are still somehow convinced that merely having a DDS giving you braggin rights over engineers say like Lee Iacocca, you are being delusional.

On the salary thing, I do realize that there are exceptions who make it big despite long odds. I just like to work in the mean median and mode range which is where most engineers end up. I don't have delusions of grandeur, I'm just saying that dentists usually earn more than engineers (who wants to dispute this one?)
As far as relationships go, I dolove him but I also suggested the open relationship idea. I figure that the old saying: "if you love someone let them go, if they don't come back they were never yours to begin with" rings true. It wasn't flippant, and I have (and do) spent many nights agonizing over my decision, but I stick to it. There are ground rules for goodness sake, its not just a free for all.
He refuses to move with me (that was a big argument) but then again, he found a job before I even applied to dental school.
He is probably the most feminist man I know, and given our respective cultures, that's saying a lot. I know he would like to keep me around, but with babies? How many men have wanted to get their gf's pregnant just to keep them around? I thought that women did that sort of thing.
Whatever it is, thanks for the comments. I feel a long phone call coming on :)

LADoc00 said:
Why cant he move and get a job close to where you will be going to school? If not, then dont bother to waste another breath on it, the relationship wont happen.

Not sure what you are talking about when you say engineers dont have the same potential as dentists tho...you are seriously full of yourself. Let me throw out a few engineering names you might now: Bill Hewlett, David Packard, Steve Wozniak let alone the myriad of engineers that have become great actors and statesmen...even presidents (Jimmy Carter). Now if you are still somehow convinced that merely having a DDS giving you braggin rights over engineers say like Lee Iacocca, you are being delusional.

Do you two currently live together? If you haven't lived together for at least a couple of years, that might be a good reason to put off making plans for having kids.

I agree that he ought to at least make a strong effort to find a job in your new area. If he wants to start a family with you, the family needs to start with you two.