I want to defer...but do what???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NRAI2001

3K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to defer my admission, but I dont know specifically what i ll do.

Definitely party with my friends, since a lot of them are moving to sf after graduating from cal and other schools.

But nothing in particular.

What would/did you guys do with a year off if you deffered your admission?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Well, you could do pretty much anything, no? ;)

If you've got the funds (or are a very frugal traveler), it'd be a great time to take an extended vacation. Backpacking around Europe is a popular option. You could also do some sort of volunteer mission work, if you're so inclined.

NRAI2001 said:

Definitely party with my friends, since a lot of them are moving to sf after graduating from cal and other schools.

Will your school allow you to defer without a good reason? (i.e. research, significant illness, etc)

Members don't see this ad :)
NRAI2001 said:

If I have the $$$, I will travel to as many countries as I can. If I don't have the $$$, I will not defer and will work as many jobs as I can before school starts (as is the case :( )

silas2642 said:
Will your school allow you to defer without a good reason? (i.e. research, significant illness, etc)
Exactly - the OP's putting the cart before the horse - you need to have a reason to get the deferrment, not defer and then figure out what to do with yourself.

One-in-a-lifetime opportunities (research fellowships, etc.) and family illness (wish to be near a dying parent) are valid reasons for deferrment.

Partying and 'not wanting to go to school just yet' are not.

I will add to to this post. Good luck getting a deferrment. I attempted and wrote appeals, and I had significantly good reason for a deferment request (research). As well, monitary costs and breaking contracts. But to no avail, my request was not honored. Do not think about what you'll do during deferment -- If you don't know, you most likely will not recieve your request.

Good luck

I m thinking of defering out of my smp program. I dont know if they ll be more leanient. I met the people in charge of the program after I got in and they all seemed reasonable.

We ll see what happens.

It sounds more like you'll be turning down a spot in a post-graduate program than deferring entrance to medical school. Did you apply to med school and are you sure this is a good idea if you want to go to med school eventually? But as far as what I would do with a year off before going to med school - I think it would involve sometime in Brazil or Europe. Traveling if I had the money or volunteering if I had to have someone else pay for it.

MasterShake said:
It sounds more like you'll be turning down a spot in a post-graduate program than deferring entrance to medical school. Did you apply to med school and are you sure this is a good idea if you want to go to med school eventually? But as far as what I would do with a year off before going to med school - I think it would involve sometime in Brazil or Europe. Traveling if I had the money or volunteering if I had to have someone else pay for it.

Its an SMP program. I take 3 to 4 med courses each quarter (with medical students) so its almost like being in med school. Students who do well in the program are admitted into the med school the very next year.

I know I want to do med school, but I want to do others things also and I have a feeling med school/residency will take a lot of my time for the next 10 years.

I wud suggest u look into taking a year off between 2nd and 3rd year medical school, rather than defer starting.

RxnMan said:
Exactly - the OP's putting the cart before the horse - you need to have a reason to get the deferrment, not defer and then figure out what to do with yourself.

One-in-a-lifetime opportunities (research fellowships, etc.) and family illness (wish to be near a dying parent) are valid reasons for deferrment.

Partying and 'not wanting to go to school just yet' are not.

If youre a man, just say you get somebody pregnant, and if you're a women,you do the math: just say you're pregnant. It works for both med and law school.

shoal said:
I will add to to this post. Good luck getting a deferrment. I attempted and wrote appeals, and I had significantly good reason for a deferment request (research). As well, monitary costs and breaking contracts. But to no avail, my request was not honored. Do not think about what you'll do during deferment -- If you don't know, you most likely will not recieve your request.

Good luck

i received deferrment w/o much difficulty. my basic reason was "i'm not ready for school yet." I have yet to start but, so far, I feel it was a good decision. I had a great year (good job experience, traveled, ...) and am excited to start school this month.

You do realize that every year you defer is a year of physician salary lost right? Just something to think about...

Tori's dad said:
You do realize that every year you defer is a year of physician salary lost right? Just something to think about...

Or a year where you can be a minimally responisble young person.

I didnt defer........looks like i m gonna have to figure out something to keep myself from failing.

Not to be a downer, but I would not defer. If you get an acceptance and really want to be a doctor, I would attend school right away. You NEVER know what will happen in the future, something could happen that could prevent you from attending school (God forbid). I experienced this especially with Katrina in New Orleans, as for me, I almost had my school completely shut down. If you know medicine is right for you, take it and run.