UPenn VS UConn ???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neeky

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am a really desperate for advice, are there any UConn and UPenn students here or people who have graduated from either school?

I want to specialize after dental school...and I was sure about going to UConn but now I have second thoughts and I am considering Penn again because it was more of a college like atmosphere...I am so confused..
which school has the better rep for getting specialties and which school has happier students??? please let me know! thanks :(

Members don't see this ad.

In my UCONN graduating class of 39, we had 32 of us go onto advanced training: Oral Surgery 5, ortho 2, endo 2, pedo 2, perio 3, prosth 2, and 16 into either GPR's, AEGD's or into military residencies. Basically, with 1 exceptiom in my class if you wanted to go onto advanced training after dental school you did. This has also been roughly the average of the 5 classes that have graduated since I did. There is also alot more of a college feel to UCONN than you may expect with the dental/medical school campus being 35 miles from the main UCONN campus. There are 5 colleges with 5 miles of the dental school and you'll typically form very close bonds with the students in your class and the corresponding medical class. And you'll quickly learn where the local college bars are, trust me! :D

thanks dr Jeff that was just what i needed to hear.... i know my top priority should be my academics but socializing is important if only to maintain some sanity.. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
neeky said:
thanks dr Jeff that was just what i needed to hear.... i know my top priority should be my academics but socializing is important if only to maintain some sanity.. :)

u will nvr realize how imp socializing is until u have been beaten down by this system (uconn)---so, go to another school---ur sanity is worth it---in the end, u wanna make sure that u aren't just in financial debt, but that u aren't in emotional bankruptcy

Ive heard UCONN rough but in the end it is P/NP so IF you can manage to pass all your classses all you need are good board scores.

Da Bomb said:
Ive heard UCONN rough but in the end it is P/NP so IF you can manage to pass all your classses all you need are good board scores.

Stick w/ UCONN. Small class size, strong clinic and didactic. Great specialty rate.

S Files said:
Stick w/ UCONN. Small class size, strong clinic and didactic. Great specialty rate.

Take it from someone attending UConn that you should go elsewhere. Cat'sMeow was right when he/she said that things other than class size and cost matter. He/she was right when he/she said that "emotional bankruptcy" cannot compare to anything else. If you want more details on how UConn is "emotionally abusive," pm me or check out the thread called something like "how happy are you really at your dental school?" MsPurtell basically says that UConn dental is better than having cancer. Does that put it in perspective for you?

HardWay said:
Take it from someone attending UConn that you should go elsewhere. Cat'sMeow was right when he/she said that things other than class size and cost matter. He/she was right when he/she said that "emotional bankruptcy" cannot compare to anything else. If you want more details on how UConn is "emotionally abusive," pm me or check out the thread called something like "how happy are you really at your dental school?" MsPurtell basically says that UConn dental is better than having cancer. Does that put it in perspective for you?

Once you start seeing your loan balance grow larger and larger and the years pass by quicker and quicker you soon realize that COST of ATTENDENCE is ALL that matters.

Decide which school on price and price alone.

Da Bomb said:
Once you start seeing your loan balance grow larger and larger and the years pass by quicker and quicker you soon realize that COST of ATTENDENCE is ALL that matters.

Decide which school on price and price alone.

Okay, I agree that price matters. Consider this: will the money you save at UConn be more than the amount of money you will spend on therapy after UConn? Take it from someone who is here right now and dealing with the atmosphere the way it is right now (and not in the past as in DrJeff's case), the answer is clearly "No."

Well given we are a pampered generation maybe the answer to your question is no. But my advice is sack up like our grandparents generation and get through it. Think of it as a right of passage.

However, in defense of reality...you will def save the equivalent amount of $ and then some. 100G's is about 600 to 700 a month in loan payment that you not only dont owe but you can invest after graduation and gain interest not loose.

You are lucky to be at UCONN...remeber there is some poor bastard at home who didnt get in a would do anything to be in your place...f@k the faculty and med students that choose to make your life hell. Thell be memories in three years.

Da Bomb said:
Well given we are a pampered generation maybe the answer to your question is no. But my advice is sack up like our grandparents generation and get through it. Think of it as a right of passage.

However, in defense of reality...you will def save the equivalent amount of $ and then some. 100G's is about 600 to 700 a month in loan payment that you not only dont owe but you can invest after graduation and gain interest not loose.

You are lucky to be at UCONN...remeber there is some poor bastard at home who didnt get in a would do anything to be in your place...f@k the faculty and med students that choose to make your life hell. Thell be memories in three years.

thats right, fyck those ppl :D
but i'm with wayhard on this one---emotional bankruptcy is worse than financial bankruptcy---besides, i'm sure that there are some reasonably priced ds out there that don't abuse u like uconn does---further, some of us have not grown up in a pampered life like u think---i had to overcome some serious things like being molested as a kid and physical abuse, but this is almost as bad----wayhard has a serious story too of things that have happened, but i won't reveal it cuz then ppl would know who wayhard is

Since no one else from Penn replied let me give you my insight. I am a 4th year and Penn and I can say that most of the students I know are pretty happy. Yeah we constantly bitch just like every other dental school, but most of it is becuase of the cost. But when it come down to it most people are happy, and most of the professors pretty supportive. The college atmosphere is fun as we are right on campus, and Drexel and USP are right next door, plus the 12 other schools in th city. And our specialization rate is the highest in the country. We consistantly have about 15 people get into ortho, 13 into oral surgery, 8 into pedo, and Im not sure about the Endo or Perio or aegd/gpr's but im sure the rates are similar. If you want to speccialize and you end up getting in, than the extra $100,000 is worth it. Of course Uconn does have probably the highest avergaes on the boards so that is something you need to keep in mind, becuase it will help you get in. But then again both my roomates just got their scores back this week and got 97 averages, so I guess it is also how hard you study.