So when do the less qualified people get invites?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MiesVanDerMom

D.o. or Die
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I see a lot of highly qualified peeps getting multiple interview invties. Congrats! I'm wondering about us not-as-qualified types. Types applying to 19 schools in hopes of getting a couple interviews. Uh, will our invites not come until later in the season after the schools have taken a shot at the top shelf people? I mean, should I just find a hobby until December or.... Um, anyone who knows anything about this please reply. When, in all honesty, do I start worrying? (given I submitted as early as a person can and almost all my schools have started giving out invites) I have a feeling I'm going to get the classic "it's only august, chill out" But guess what? In 6 hours it won' t be August anymore. Mwa haha :smuggrin: So, get a new line, oh anti-neurosis naysayers...

Members don't see this ad.

I would love to know the answer to that also. Everyone around seems to be giving me the same song and dance "it's only August". SDN's fame wall is getting crowded and I am nowhere on it. So.. less then steller people get invites in early/late semptember? october? nov?

Have you tried applying to more schools to keep yourself occupied? :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Hm. I was always under the impression that invites are easier to get earlier in the season as the schools will be swamped by stellar applicants in the middle of the season and have less invites to give out. This is definitely true at some schools during december where they may have 1000 secondaries left to look at and 20 interviews left to give. Also, keep in mind that some of those who got very early invites only got them because they're almost automatic after a certain score, i.e. Pittsburgh, Michigan and Texas schools for any Texans.

However, its still very, very early in the season for invites and I'm sure you will get some. Your stats and background seem pretty solid, although I'm a bit curious as to why you applied to state schools like NJ when you're a PA resident.

Hang in there. I'd say I'm a good (but definitely not great) applicant, and I just got my first (and only so far) interview invite two days ago.

Have you tried applying to more schools to keep yourself occupied? :D

I actually completed close to 40 secondaries already - no interview
I am in the non-steller range 29R, 3.45 overal 3.25 bcpm, good-very good ECs
I have not received about 4 screener secondaries - but they are out of state schools ect.... So when should I get interviews.. anyone has a clue???

I'm in the same boat as you, but I have just a little higher GPA, same MCAT. However, I couldn't afford to apply to 44 schools!! How'd you do that??

150 + (30*43) = 1440 AMCAS
Low cost 60*40 = 2400 Secondaries

You spent almost $4,000!!! And that's a minimum!!!

So, I see a lot of highly qualified peeps getting multiple interview invties. Congrats! I'm wondering about us not-as-qualified types. Types applying to 19 schools in hopes of getting a couple interviews. Uh, will our invites not come until later in the season after the schools have taken a shot at the top shelf people? I mean, should I just find a hobby until December or.... Um, anyone who knows anything about this please reply. When, in all honesty, do I start worrying? (given I submitted as early as a person can and almost all my schools have started giving out invites) I have a feeling I'm going to get the classic "it's only august, chill out" But guess what? In 6 hours it won' t be August anymore. Mwa haha :smuggrin: So, get a new line, oh anti-neurosis naysayers...
Last year, I submitted AMCAS on June 1 and had all of my secondaries done by about this time. I got my last interview invite in January. What was that school doing with my app for 4-5 months? Who knows. Point is, most schools interview until late Feb/early Mar, and some interview even later than that. Some people have to be the Feb. interviewees. If you still haven't heard from a school that is about to stop interviewing, that's when you can start worrying. That means, like, six months from now. So I am sorry to say that you could literally wait for months, write off X or Y school, and then all of a sudden get an invite. This process is that insane. :rolleyes:

Well if a school has only a certain number of invites to give out per year, they first have to gauge the quality of their applicants before they start giving them out to everybody. So I would think that naturally the early invites are for those who would receive invites even when accounting for an unexpected increases in applicant quality. If everything goes right, then applicant quality will actually decrease and some of us middle dwellers will get a shot :thumbup:

Hey, your stats look good to me, and don't sell yourself short as one who's not on the "top shelf"...some of us who have multiple interviews applied at more interview happy schools (IU interviews dozens of people a day and rejects most of them). Hang in there, I'm sure the interviews will come...and with all those ECs you've got you'll ace 'em when they do.

And, as someone who worries like crazy about things out of their control---there's not much you can do about when the interview invites come.

MVDM,

Thanks for saying what I was thinking. :love:
I was complete at 8 schools by the end of July. I was complete at 6 more by this months' end. I am pending at three more, where I will be complete in Sept.

Total: 14 Complete, 3 Pending, 1 on Hold (SIU, waiting to screen through), 1 reject. C'mon!

Hey there,
It is WAY EARLY in terms of sending out invitations for medical school interviews. Many schools interview up to May-June and some beyond that. Chill out and find something else to do (like work on your Plan B). Really, you will be a "basket case" if you DO get an interview.

Look at it this way: Either you are going to get an interview invitation or you are not. It doesn't make any difference how much worrying you do, you won't change this fact. It's much healthier to find something else to do and let the chips fall where they may. It is OUT of your hands at this point. This is the nature of this process; sucky as it may be.

njbmd:)

Members don't see this ad :)
MVDM,

Thanks for saying what I was thinking. :love:
I was complete at 8 schools by the end of July. I was complete at 6 more by this months' end. I am pending at three more, where I will be complete in Sept.

Total: 14 Complete, 3 Pending, 1 on Hold (SIU, waiting to screen through), 1 reject. C'mon!

if there's any one person i want to get interviews it would have to be JACKIE. hang in there buddy i really feel one coming soon!!!

i am the DEFINITION of a less qualified applicant and i have 2 interviews, 1 hold, and 1 rejection. if i can do it, you ALL WILL too. good luck everyone :luck:

if there's any one person i want to get interviews it would have to be JACKIE. hang in there buddy i really feel one coming soon!!!

i am the DEFINITION of a less qualified applicant and i have 2 interviews, 1 hold, and 1 rejection. if i can do it, you ALL WILL too. good luck everyone :luck:

Awwww Rob. If Danjo wasn't already my man :love: you would have totally won me over there. You're awesome!

Robbo, we're going to pull it out for our collective MCAT score and then represent like hell all over SDN! :hardy:

I just want to give the OP some encouragement

I am by no means a stellar candidate....I have a few things going for me, but my overall GPA is only a 3.2, BCPM of 3.4, & MCAT of 30R....

My AMCAS was verified on July 26. It is now August 31 and I have 3 interview invites! Jefferson, East Virginia, & University of Kentucky! 2 of these came in just this week.

On top of the mediocre stats, I am a non-traditional student (ahem...35), and I double majored in the liberal arts (English & Communication). I mean, after reading the plethora of postings on SDN on what kind of stats a person has to have to get into medical school...I really doubted myself a lot. But I think it's true that the schools are looking for more than "good numbers". I think that some of them really are looking for good people.

I know that an interview doesn't promise anything...But I hope you will get your shot at it soon. Best of luck.

Hm. I was always under the impression that invites are easier to get earlier in the season as the schools will be swamped by stellar applicants in the middle of the season and have less invites to give out. This is definitely true at some schools during december where they may have 1000 secondaries left to look at and 20 interviews left to give. Also, keep in mind that some of those who got very early invites only got them because they're almost automatic after a certain score, i.e. Pittsburgh, Michigan and Texas schools for any Texans.

However, its still very, very early in the season for invites and I'm sure you will get some. Your stats and background seem pretty solid, although I'm a bit curious as to why you applied to state schools like NJ when you're a PA resident.

my husband is from new jersey so we have family there and it's our second choice (after UPitt). we have some other connections there as well. I've sent them letters letting them know about it. I'm also attempting to stay within a 6 hour radius of Pittsburgh. that may go out the window soon...

thanks for all the replies. I'm just trying to figure out if I'm kidding myself at this point. I've got some possible plan B's worked out. This limbo kills me! Glad I have some people to co-miserate with me. Good luck all :luck:

haha weird i feel as if all the stellar applicants apply early so even tho they are not swamped, they are giving out all the invites to them first (which ofcourse they should), and then they say "oh, look at the kid with a 3.4 and 29.. it's still early, let's put him aside for now and wait for more applications" (aka hold). and ofcourse later in the season there are even more stellar applicants and thus mr 3.4 and 29 sits in a fat pile forever.

Hey Mies,

You're not "not-as-qualified" !!!!
I remember applying and the frusturation from checking email / stalking the mail-man every day, on the hour.

Anyway, if you get an interview at Drexel let me know and I can host you for free. I live right next to the school! :)

I am way behind you. I submitted my AMCAS on July 30 and I am still waiting to be verified. I have been "under review" for a week and nothing is happening....This whole process is very tough mentally and emotionally. But you seem very qualified and hey, a great mom, I am sure, which is your most important role in life..so just get a great smile from your kid and that will cheer you up.

Good luck.

Searun

1 down, 3 to go. Guess which one I already have? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

So, I'm wondering about us not-as-qualified types. Types applying to 19 schools in hopes of getting a couple interviews. Uh, will our invites not come until later in the season after the schools have taken a shot at the top shelf people? QUOTE]

Depends what race you are. If your gpa is sub par this does not mean you are not qualified in the eyes of the admissions commitee. REMEMBER THEY ARE RACIST BIGOTS and that if your skin color is a certain tone no gpa is too low. **** AFFIRMATIVE ACTION and all the people who support it

So, I'm wondering about us not-as-qualified types. Types applying to 19 schools in hopes of getting a couple interviews. Uh, will our invites not come until later in the season after the schools have taken a shot at the top shelf people?

Depends what race you are. If your gpa is sub par this does not mean you are not qualified in the eyes of the admissions commitee. REMEMBER THEY ARE RACIST BIGOTS and that if your skin color is a certain tone no gpa is too low. **** AFFIRMATIVE ACTION and all the people who support it

Yikes!

E]

Wow, how are you not banned yet?

:thumbdown: :thumbdown:

So, I'm wondering about us not-as-qualified types. Types applying to 19 schools in hopes of getting a couple interviews. Uh, will our invites not come until later in the season after the schools have taken a shot at the top shelf people? QUOTE]

very relevant to my question, Grand Dragon. Nice hood by the way :thumbup:

Wow, how are you not banned yet?

:thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Check out my other posts, This is nothing compared to the one in the black pre-med forum. CHECK IT OUT IF YOU WANT TO GET A GOOD LAUGH THERES A FUNNY JOKE waiting. Better check it while its there

Check out my other posts, This is nothing compared to the one in the black pre-med forum. CHECK IT OUT IF YOU WANT TO GET A GOOD LAUGH THERES A FUNNY JOKE waiting. Better check it while its there

thanks for ruining my thread, a-hole. nothing better to do?:sleep: :thumbdown:

I just want to give the OP some encouragement

I am by no means a stellar candidate....I have a few things going for me, but my overall GPA is only a 3.2, BCPM of 3.4, & MCAT of 30R....

My AMCAS was verified on July 26. It is now August 31 and I have 3 interview invites! Jefferson, East Virginia, & University of Kentucky! 2 of these came in just this week.

On top of the mediocre stats, I am a non-traditional student (ahem...35), and I double majored in the liberal arts (English & Communication). I mean, after reading the plethora of postings on SDN on what kind of stats a person has to have to get into medical school...I really doubted myself a lot. But I think it's true that the schools are looking for more than "good numbers". I think that some of them really are looking for good people.

I know that an interview doesn't promise anything...But I hope you will get your shot at it soon. Best of luck.

:thumbup:

I got all my interviews in the last week of August up to September 1. Everything was silent after that.

You will be fine. :)
Just like people said earlier, try to relax little and wait... As this application cycle goes on, we will have lots of waiting time to deal with.

I am pretty sure you will get an invite soon.
Good luck!!!

You will be fine. :)
Just like people said earlier, try to relax little and wait... As this application cycle goes on, we will have lots of waiting time to deal with.

I am pretty sure you will get an invite soon.
Good luck!!!

yeh... i understand miles! gosh.. such a long wait.... i hope an interview comes soon for us!

I'm in the same boat as you, for sure. Which is why I went from about 20 posts/day to about 2/week. This board is enough to drive you insane. And while I'm genuinely happy for the interviews some of my SDN friends have gotten, I can only look at the fame thread so many times without getting to add myself. I was complete at all of my schools in JULY and all but one of them (UPenn) has started giving out quite a few interviews. So I'm waiting patiently for the first time in the process. Honestly, the less I check out this site, the less I think about it. So hang in there because our time will come-- and we'll be ready.

Hey MVDM,

Although I have some interviews (so I'm not in your exact situation,) I received fewer than I expected, and I think that I have probably gotten all that I will (with TX interviewing early, and all.) On top of that, what was probably my second-choice school (and one that I thought that I had a VERY realistic chance of getting into) hasn't contacted me (yet, hopefully.) I could just be like everyone else and tell you not to stress out, but I know that that won't work (it wouldn't work for me.) You/we WILL be stressed out, and my only advice to you is to put all that nervous energy to a good use. I have totally cleaned my house, worked on and completed lots of those household projects that pile up, and have started looking into volunteer opportunities to both pass the time and help my application should the unthinkable happen. Hang out with some friends, go out and get drunk, blow off some steam. And for God's sake, stay away from SDN (as much as possible.) I realize that my post to SDN saying to stay away from SDN is paradoxical, but every time I read things here, my stress level goes up a notch. When I tone it down a bit and stay away, I'm far less stressed.

Hang in there.

Jota

I guess I should mope more. I just got an interview invite from my second-choice school that I mentioned in the post above, so hang in there and try to think good, positive thoughts.