A sneak peek at optometry school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alferec

Future Army OD
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I remember someone a while ago posted some sample material that they learned (I think it was microbio?). I'd like to share some of the transcripted Anatomy & Physio lecture (1 hour's worth) for 1st years here at SCCO.

Here's a link: View attachment sneakpeek.doc

Two things I have to say about the notes:

1) The hardest thing about optometry school is not the material itself but the staggering amount of information you'll need to jam in your brain in the short amount of time given (IMHO of course...but many of my classmates agree).

2) Try to retain as much as you can from your undergrad/OAT studies because it will most definitely come back to haunt you in opt school!!! Just look at the lecture and you'll see what I mean! Also, I made sure to keep all of my undergrad notes because some of those mnemonics you make up will be helpful.

3) Guess what...even after you re-learn all of the A&P/Biochem/Optics/etc. for midterms and finals, you will have to re-gurgitate all of that info AGAIN during boards!!! :eek: So that's more of a reason to really pay attention during undergrad!

Members don't see this ad.

SIX PAGES? and i was having trouble keeping up with 2 or 3 in an hour.. haha, wow. That is intense.

Here's an example of a script from UAB. This is one hour of lecture. Just in case anybody is interested.

Attachments

• 19 January 06 2 pm[1].doc
    93.5 KB · Views: 763
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, it looks like a lot, but it also looks like every single word the instructor said was included. We had the same kind of note-taker thing at IU. Trust me, it looks a lot worse than it actually is. How of much of that stuff will actually find it's way onto a test? My bet is not much.

What is this "note-taker" device?

Do you manually type every word the instructor is breathing or is it mechanical?

we had a note service at UHCO too.

Someone tapes the lectures.. and then goes home and types up the lectures into note form. That way .. if you miss a lecture, or miss something the lecturer said you can go back and look it up.

We have a note-taking service at ICO too - most of the students subscribe. It's really nice because if you miss a lectures or miss something the prof says, you can just look it up (it gets delivered right to your mailbox). Students are paid to take notes in class, go home and listen to the mp3, and then type up notes (not a full lecture transcription) with the aid of both sources. Of course, if you don't subscribe to the service, you can always just go back and get the mp3 yourself.