Google Buys YouTube - Now THAT is an Investment Victory!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Apollyon

Screw the GST
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I put this in this forum because the bolded passages show you "this is how you do it".

Google bets big on video

Search giant will buy YouTube for $1.65 billion, work to turn video site's legal enemies into partners.

Google agreed Monday to pay $1.65 billion to acquire online video giant YouTube, a deal anticipated for several days. Now that the combination is official, the question is whether the deal guarantees full employment for every copyright infringement lawyer in the country.

The problem: A lot of the content on YouTube, according to some critics, is in violation of copyright laws. Google is clearly betting that it will be able to solve that issue, or at least make it affordable. The plan appears to be to turn YouTube's current adversaries into partners. And Wall Street apparently thinks the new partners will make it work. Google (GOOG, news, msgs) shares were up 2% in regular trading today and up slightly more in after-hours trading.

If Google is wrong, well, YouTube's current owners just got insanely rich because they held all the cards.

Right now, the hottest growth area of the Internet is video, thanks to wide expansion of high-speed connections that lets users upload and download video clips quickly and easily.

YouTube, to this point, has been the leading beneficiary of all that up- and downloading, with a 46% share in the online video arena, according to The Wall Street Journal, quoting research firm Hitwise. YouTube's terms of use ask people not to submit copyrighted material, but the service does not use technology to identify copyrighted music and video. When organizations tell YouTube about violations, the videos are removed.

The hurdle YouTube faced even before the Google deal was how to keep all that video on its site without facing legal battles. There appear to be three ways to solve the problem:

* Employ filters in combination with humans who are hired to spot copyright-infringing material. This is what Google says it does. YouTube has said it will start using audio-identification technology as part of a distribution deal it signed with Warner Music last month.
* Go to court.
* Cut deals.

Google and YouTube appear to be going with deal cutting .

Recently, Doug Morris, chief executive of Vivendi's Universal Music Group, told investors that YouTube and MySpace, the second most popular video-sharing site, owed Universal "tens of millions of dollars'' for infringing copyrights.

But today, before the acquisition was announced, the combatants joined forces, as Google and YouTube got Universal to agree to a content deal. YouTube already had deals in place with CBS and Sony BMG Music.

The strategy will work as long as there's enough money on hand to satisfy the content providers. Google, it just so happens, is sitting on $10 billion in cash.

There are other issues that Google will also have to figure out, including:

* How fast can Google figure out how to make money from YouTube's videos?
* Are YouTube viewers ready to be hit with a barrage of advertising?

The deal has been rumored for a week, and the details were pretty well leaked before it was announced after today's stock-market close.

Google will pay $1.65 billion in stock for the online video company, which has been in business for a little less than two years.

The price makes YouTube by far the most expensive purchase made by Google during its eight-year history. Last year, Google spent $130.5 million buying a total of 15 small companies.

YouTube will continue to retain its brand, its new headquarters in San Bruno and all 67 employees, including co-founders Chad Hurley and Steve Chen. Meanwhile, Google will continue to run a less popular video service on its own site.

Investors applauded the possible acquisition as Google Inc. shares climbed $8.50 to close at $429 on the Nasdaq Stock Market, then added another $3.11 in extended trading.

Since the company started in Hurley’s garage in February 2005, YouTube has blossomed into a cultural touchstone that shows more than 100 million video clips per day. The video library is eclectic, featuring everything from teenagers goofing off in their rooms to William Shatner singing “Rocket Man” during a 1970s TV show. Most clips are submitted by users.

YouTube’s worldwide audience was 72.1 million by August, up from 2.8 million a year earlier, according to comScore Media Metrix.

Members don't see this ad.

Its a great investment, and if you had GOOG when it happened-you did well. But I'm thinking it may be a little too late to join that bandwagon. GOOG dropped today after a nice bull run of a few days.

GOOG however is still considered a solid long term investment despite that the youtube bull run may now be over.

I think it was a good investment for google and if you own google stock...I am not sure how the normal users of YouTube will like it. The numbers of estimated users keep changing from every frickin article I've read on it..I don't think the "getting sued into oblivion" like Mark cuban or whatever his name said will happen.....but to get back into the money making segment they are going to have get a lot of advertising on the site, a better way to control what gets on (which goes against the general philosphy of the creators of YouTube), and just a bunch of other stuff. I think you can thank News Corp. for buying myspace for this whole deal...all of these sites are selling for ridiculous amounts of money to hop onto the social networking bandwagon. Facebook is suppossedly working a deal with Yahoo...I think.

Members don't see this ad :)
GOOG however is still considered a solid long term investment despite that the youtube bull run may now be over.

you mean the youtube bull CRAP ;)

nah, seriously, tho, I think goog has broken out of an ascending triangle and will hit 500 within the next 6 months... We'll see...

ttac

There's speculation that Google will attempt to start buying out every single internet site that is popular and providing services outside what it now does.

Cramer on Madmoney mentioned that GOOG among a few other stocks such as SHLD (Sears) and GS (Goldman Sachs) are stocks he believes will go up multiple times in the coming years, and suggests them a long stocks. (Sears in case you didn't know is now focusing on being a holdings firm. YEah I know you think of the department store, but now the store is only suppposedly a mere fraction of the stock's value).

He even went as far as to say that just buying 1 share could net you a fortune if you keep it for several years.

I was an idiot. I was waiting for GOOG to dip below 400 before I buying it. It hovered around $400 for months. I don't think it'll go below that now, and its bull run was a little to much to fast for me to want to get in now.

yeah, i really want to get into GS, but it's had a huge run-up - i'm going to wait 'till the p/e gets back in the single digits, which will happen if they miss a single quarter (which will happen sooner than later with trading + principal investments making up the bulk of their revenue)

I was an idiot. I was waiting for GOOG to dip below 400 before I buying it. It hovered around $400 for months. I don't think it'll go below that now, and its bull run was a little to much to fast for me to want to get in now.

oh, and a simple but i guess kinda risky way to have made some money while you waited for this to happen (if you have the money and the inclination to buy 100 shares) would have been to sell puts at $400 or below - this way you would have gotten something out of the fact that goog never made it to your buying point. i did this for genentech, and it worked out great - i was finally assigned at $75...and made a lot waiting for it to get there...

Its a great investment, and if you had GOOG when it happened-you did well. But I'm thinking it may be a little too late to join that bandwagon. GOOG dropped today after a nice bull run of a few days.

GOOG stock at 80$ would have given you returns of 500% at this point..

If you put your money into YouTube by being part of the venture captial group they got together that put in $11 million of funding for the project.. You would now have slightly less than 50% of that 1.65 billion.. so that's about 72,000% return.. Not bad but usually buy-in is 1 mil+ at v.cap firms..
Plus, most flop (ie. Friendster)

You guys aren't very internet savvy. Google made a terrible deal. YouTube sucks now, so many videos have been removed, and watch the stock drop $100 the next 3 months.

nah, seriously, tho, I think goog has broken out of an ascending triangle and will hit 500 within the next 6 months... We'll see...

ttac

Not too bad of a prediction from when goog was 420... However, I believe that goog is going to maybe top out at 510-520 and at that point I would buy goog 500 feb-mar 07 puts. I wouldn't buy those puts now.

ttac

ttac

499.85 today... lol.
I'd sell now. There are other fish in the sea. Called at 429$, now 498 in a month.

ttac

Not actually doing this (account is in dovp) but I would short goog here at 494... May break 500 but I see a pullback to 460 or less...

ttac

Plus, I believe the broader market is tremendously overbought here... and the goog ridiculous hype powered it to near 500.

Bastards... I take my goog short idea back. and I'll stop spamming this thread.

would cover at 495.20, loss of 0.25%.

Figure if they are going to take it so close to 500, they are going to bust through to sucker in retail buyers...

ttac