Conversion for COMLEX to USMLE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

It'sElectric

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey peeps, in the September 2006 issue of JAOA (Vol 106, #9) they reported a formula (just developed) to convert COMLEX scores to USMLE scores.

USMLE Step 1 = 67.97 + 0.24 x COMLEX-USA Level 1 (R^2=0.68)
USMLE Step 2 = 102.2 + 0.18 x COMLEX-USA Level 2 (R^2=0.46)

Authors: Philip Slocum, DO and Janet Louder

(errr, maybe I should've posted this in the Osteo (not pre-osteo) forum, but oh well. Hopefully if anyone’s interested it can be linked or whatnot.)

Hasn't that already been posted and discussed in the osteopathic journal forum?? If it's the same one, it's a pretty weak study.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey peeps, in the September 2006 issue of JAOA (Vol 106, #9) they reported a formula (just developed) to convert COMLEX scores to USMLE scores.

(errr, maybe I should've posted this in the Osteo (not pre-osteo) forum, but oh well. Hopefully if anyone’s interested it can be linked or whatnot.)

If the tests are different, how can one come up with a formula that isn't more than a generalization?? I need to stay away from math

Members don't see this ad :)
UGH! Before a million people yell at me for calling it the COMPLEX, it was a force of habit. I mean really, how many times do we type COMLEX without a P in the middle. My fingers were faster than my brain. Sorry. It's right in the actual body of the msg and I cant change the title. Sucks to be the one who posted the wrong name for my friggin board exam :(

UGH! Before a million people yell at me for calling it the COMPLEX, it was a force of habit. I mean really, how many times do we type COMLEX without a P in the middle. My fingers were faster than my brain. Sorry. It's right in the actual body of the msg and I cant change the title. Sucks to be the one who posted the wrong name for my friggin board exam :(

No one even attacked you. But seriously, isn't this in another forum?

Here you go:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=330302

Enjoy.

Uhh, that's why it says before...

I knew haters were gonna jump on this. So sorry. next time I'll search every thread before posting.
relax...no one "jumped at you"...or was being a "hater"....just pointing out that it was also in another location...

relax...no one "jumped at you"...or was being a "hater"....just pointing out that it was also in another location...

Thank you, Taus, for at least trying to clear that up.

There was 0 "hating" going on.

Hasn't that already been posted and discussed in the osteopathic journal forum?? If it's the same one, it's a pretty weak study.

I took both exams (step I and II of USMLE and COMLEX) and did better both times on USMLE. It is interesting to think that if my COMLEX score was converted to USMLE using this formula, I would have a lower score than my actual USMLE score!

:luck:

I took both exams (step I and II of USMLE and COMLEX) and did better both times on USMLE. It is interesting to think that if my COMLEX score was converted to USMLE using this formula, I would have a lower score than my actual USMLE score!

:luck:

The reason you did better on the USMLE is because it is an "easier" exam. I say that loosely (being a lowly first year) realizing that neither are easy exams to take, but of the two I would place more stock in your COMLEX score. And so says the third party investigators who looked into the validity of COMLEX two years after it was introduced and determined that it was a valid exam and was a better test than USMLE.

The reason you did better on the USMLE is because it is an "easier" exam. I say that loosely (being a lowly first year) realizing that neither are easy exams to take, but of the two I would place more stock in your COMLEX score. And so says the third party investigators who looked into the validity of COMLEX two years after it was introduced and determined that it was a valid exam and was a better test than USMLE.

The debate is pointless - there is no meaningful conversio. I have taken I,II and III of the USMLE and I,II of the COMLEX. USMLE is a harder test content wise, and the COMLEX is harder because half of the questions are indecipherable.

that is an interesting viewpoint....who were the 3rd party investigators? Its obviously good enough if the gov't lets us practice medicine after passing it, but to conclude that its better or harder then the USMLE (I'm not saying it is or isn't...I don't have the experience for that) needs to be backed up by something substantial

The debate is pointless - there is no meaningful conversio. I have taken I,II and III of the USMLE and I,II of the COMLEX. USMLE is a harder test content wise, and the COMLEX is harder because half of the questions are indecipherable.
that is the general consencus that I have gathered too