Capella University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Celeripedean

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
can people please respond on Capella University.
i'm in med school and my wife just got in for their I&O program, i dont know alot about her major and just want to here opinions about the program, school, and what can be done with that degree. any responses would be most grateful

Members don't see this ad.

As a soon-to-be graduate (my regalia arrived yesterday!), I can tell you that Capella's program is solid, regionally accredited, and certainly no cake walk.

I'm sure there will be some spirited debate on the value of an I&O degree, but from my perspective it is probably the one that provides the broadest potential for the least headaches.

Generally, I&O psychologists work with businesses (or other organizations) on things such as improving communication, inspiring motivation, creating a psychologically healthy workplace (a real award from the American Psychological Association!).

Again, generally, I&O psychologists are not eligible to license as mental health providers. Some would say this is no impediment as businesses pay for services that provide a benefit, not a certificate on the wall. This also means that you wife will not have to endure internship/residency. Of course, there are people who craft all sorts of careers. There is a director of a social service agency near here who is licensed as a Master's counselor but earned a non-clinical psych PhD (a Capella I&O PhD, coincidentally!)

While she will have to attend (I beleive) three one-week "colloquia" as part of her studies, she will not have to complete Capella's "year-in-residence" requirement for license-eligible psychology specialties.

That's a nutshell ... freel free to contact me privately if you have any more specific questions.

Run a search on this site for professional schools and you'll come up with good information.

If your med school was run like Capella, what would you think?

Members don't see this ad :)
Run a search on this site for professional schools and you'll come up with good information.

If your med school was run like Capella, what would you think?

Uh oh, I think I heard the sound of a gauntlet being dropped.

Jon, Is your implicit criticism directed at Capella specifically or of distance education programs in general? What is it about an online (non-licensure track) I/O program that you find objectionable?

... removing the foci of your standard criticism (e.g. poor cost (tuition)/benefit balance, substandard clinical training), what is your issue with non-license track online education?

Especially given I&O's more traditionally business oriented philosophy and compensation?

thanks for the information, very helpful, others welcome to give their opinions...

i would tend to think that there would be no need for a program like that to be ran such as the school i attend.

i would tend to think that there would be no need for a program like that to be ran such as the school i attend.

Well. I would consider the following. What are the job placement rates for the university, what are the average salaries for those placements, and what is the average cost?

As far as quality, if you look on their website, they have this quote. .

"I have a very demanding job, two children, and a wife who is a corporate attorney. Frankly, until I learned about Capella University, I had pretty much given up trying to find a program that met both my professional and personal needs."
- Hayim Herring, PhD learner

If you can get through a PhD program with that kind of time demand . . .of a full time job, wife, and two children. . . in fact the site fairly much advertises this. . . doesn't this suggest something? To me it suggests a lack of rigor. To me it suggests diploma mill.

Jon Snow:
As far as quality, if you look on their website, they have this quote. .

"I have a very demanding job, two children, and a wife who is a corporate attorney. Frankly, until I learned about Capella University, I had pretty much given up trying to find a program that met both my professional and personal needs."
- Hayim Herring, PhD learner

If you can get through a PhD program with that kind of time demand . . .of a full time job, wife, and two children. . . in fact the site fairly much advertises this. . . doesn't this suggest something? To me it suggests a lack of rigor. To me it suggests diploma mill.
Jon, given that some the statements in your posts have a ring of truth to them, I was willing accept an "agree to disagree" truce with you.

However, now you reveal your true colors as you assert that simply because a university was designed for working adults and does not cling to the outdated modality of requiring a monastic devotion to sitting in classrooms it must be a diploma mill.

Not only are you ignoring a large and growing body of research that demonstrates that online learning often provides improved educational outcomes but you are revealing your messianic devotion to the old school "this is the way I did it so it must be best" flawed logic.

Yes, I know you will come back to accuse me of the same thing because I completed a Capella program. Fair enough. But my observer bias is tempered by the fact that I also have earned a BA and MSEd conventionally, have experienced the profession through work with national professional associations, taught college both conventionally and online, and completed two years of field work where I earned high praise for my skills and knowledge. My perspective is broad-based.

I'm sure you also have some disparaging dismissal for the fact that Capella is regionally accredited (and therefore its degrees are as "real" as Northwestern, Notre Dame, University of Illinois and any other accredited midwestern university). I'm confident you will explain to us all how regional accreditation is meaningless, despite the fact that it is what separates diploma mills from legitmate universities. (But, I'm sure your school's accreditation was evidence of its legitimacy.)

You want to debate the relative the relative merits of "sage on the stage" versus "guide on the side"? Fine.
You want to debate the pros and cons of online versus conventional learning.
Let's go.
But please spare us your one-note dismissives utterances of ignorant arrogance.

I'd like to see you come down from your Ivory Tower and try to do graduate school while working to support a family. Ever think that those of us who went that route might actually be better prepared at the end because of the effort and devotion it took to do it?

I'd like to see you come down from your Ivory Tower and try to do graduate school while working to support a family. Ever think that those of us who went that route might actually be better prepared at the end because of the effort and devotion it took to do it?

Some programs demand your full (or close to that) attention, and anything short of that is not possible. There are some programs that will allow for more flexibility, though it may have less vigorous expectations. There are going to be concessions when you start cutting down on 'school' time; I'd find it hard to argue otherwise. It isn't a "good" or "bad", it is just a factor. Some people may be limited because of other time commitments, and that is fine....but I totally understand where Jon is coming from. Graduate school is NOT for everyone. There are demands, and some people can't do them. If you find a program that works for you, than that is great.....but not all programs are created equal.

As for your comment of being better prepared when you have to balance a family...etc.....I don't think so. I think it is admirable, and it definitely takes dedication, but I think it is short-sighted to think that just because you have a family that you are sacraficing more or preparing yourself better than someone who is completing the same work that doesn't have a family. On a personal note, I do not have a family, but I have other responsibilities that take up just as much time (or more).....so does that mean I will be BETTER prepared than you because of the effort and devotion it took me?

I do not know Capella, but I have an admitted bias against online programs. I think for some things like English, History, etc....it is fine, and can allow some great canidates an opportunity to get graduate degrees (who would also excel at traditional classroom based programs) When it comes to psychology....i'm not as sure. I view I/O as much more of a biz degree, especially when compared to other psych programs, such as clinical. I think you'd have a better shot at it than a clinical program online....but it would still not be ideal.

I rarely (if ever) have agreed with Jon, but he brings up a valid point about a program that promotes the fact you can manage a job, family, AND go to school. There are definitely programs geared towards working professionals, and they can be good.....but it would throw up a red flag for me.

As someone who previously did consulting work that had a large I/O influence, I'd be hesitant to take an I/O program online The technology is always improving, but I think it is still limited, and you'd be selling yourself short on your learning experience. I considered I/O programs bc of my background, and based on my research of top end I/O programs, I think an online program would be night and day different compared to them. I know many people just want a solid program and don't care about top-end, but I figured I'd at share my 2 cents. That is just my experience, so take it with a grain of salt.

-t

Therapist4chnge nicely elaborates some of my points, though I'm suprised they've not agreed with me on other things. How can someone rational disagree with me? I don't get it ;)
However, now you reveal your true colors as you assert that simply because a university was designed for working adults and does not cling to the outdated modality of requiring a monastic devotion to sitting in classrooms it must be a diploma mill.

Not only are you ignoring a large and growing body of research that demonstrates that online learning often provides improved educational outcomes but you are revealing your messianic devotion to the old school "this is the way I did it so it must be best" flawed logic.

I don't trust it. The university has only a few programs and is completely online. It's a business (like DeVry and other technical schools). I don't trust the rigor of their admissions process. I don't trust their grading. I don't trust their course content. I don't trust it. If the program was run by say Northwestern and students had to have the exact same stats to get in (GPA, GRE scores, letters of rec., etc. . .) as the traditional route, the professors were the same quality, and so on, I'd be more accepting. As it is, I don't think psychology should be associated with such programs. Is this messianic devotion to the "old school?" No, I'm not opposed to change, but let them try it for law school first, not my field. . . in large quantities. Allow the programst to become established as "real" universities as opposed to Kaplan-like businesses.

I'm sure you also have some disparaging dismissal for the fact that Capella is regionally accredited (and therefore its degrees are as "real" as Northwestern, Notre Dame, University of Illinois and any other accredited midwestern university). I'm confident you will explain to us all how regional accreditation is meaningless, despite the fact that it is what separates diploma mills from legitmate universities. (But, I'm sure your school's accreditation was evidence of its legitimacy.)

I'm fairly certain no one on the planet would question the legitimacy of my university, or even ask if it was accredited, regionally or otherwise.

As therapist4chnge pointed out, in many PhD programs, you could not work fulltime and have a family and finish the program in a reasonable amount of time without cutting serious corners. In fact, competively, I'm not sure it's even feasible. You'd get slaughtered by your classmates and grades are usually on a bell curve. I had days regularly scheduled in grad school (with nothing extra added in such as studying or whatever) from 7 am to 11 pm. I've slept in my lab because of the amount of work necessary at a given time. . . This was normal at my university. So, yes, from my ivory tower, I doubt those who went that route, with less rigourous entrance requirements, while working full time, etc. . .are better prepared than those going my route. In fact, from my view, it's hard to believe they are even competent.

That said, I don't blame people for doing what's been allowed. I might question their decision based on economics or whatever, but hey, it's legal.

It is legal, we get the same license, and we learn all we were denied by being tortured in school during the first year doing real work in the real world. I love you Snow, and we have had this same argument many a time, so let it go for the purpose of the newcomers.

Members don't see this ad :)
The one thing that Therapist and Jon both seem to agree upon is that designing a program which allows for (acknowledges?) other obligations in a student's life is tantamount to "cutting corners."

What remained unsaid by either is what precisely required their absolute 24/7 attention? What was so essential about the campus-based experience that there can be no permissible modifications? What is so integral about being in a seminar room every Tuesday at 3:00 PM that the same information cannot be disseminated asynchronously on a Web based venue?

[Oh, and Therapist, perhaps having a family is not the best ancillary "supplement" for mental health providing. However, the background of most online learners is a person in his/her late 30s who has already accumulated significant life and professional experience. I would think that person is in a better position to establish a more legitimate and comprehensive therapeutic rapport than a twenty-something PhD who never left campus after high school.]

While I would agree there can be legitimate concerns raised about the clinical competencies one is supposed to acquire in a clinical PhD program (though they are addressed in Capella's program), this thread was originally about an I/O program which has no such requirements.

So, again, what in an I/O program requires one to literally reside in a particular geographic location for a specified period of time?

P.S. I commuted to a satellite campus of a conventional university after work and on weekend to earn my Master's. Am I to infer from this logic that my Master's is likewise a diminished degree from a diploma mill?

It is legal, we get the same license, and we learn all we were denied by being tortured in school during the first year doing real work in the real world. I love you Snow, and we have had this same argument many a time, so let it go for the purpose of the newcomers

Ok. . . last post, then. You don't think that difference (in ability, drive, learning, etc. . .) carries over into the real world?

The one thing that Therapist and Jon both seem to agree upon is that designing a program which allows for (acknowledges?) other obligations in a student's life is tantamount to "cutting corners."

Let me clarify......a doctoral program is suppose to be an in-depth study of a particular area, with a focus on producing the very best in the field (ideally. I don't want to get off track with mills and whatnot). It is hard to produce 'the very best' when the student's focus is spread over a variety of areas, with no real allowance for extending the amount of time to make up for the fewer hours spent on the task at hand. I believe it to be similar to an MS level person trying to argue that they are the same as a Doctoral level person because they both spend time in similar classes (ignoring the amount of time, level of work, depth of study, etc). I understand (in clinical at least) that a license is a license.....but I think people should try and get the best level of training as possible.

What remained unsaid by either is what precisely required their absolute 24/7 attention? What was so essential about the campus-based experience that there can be no permissible modifications? What is so integral about being in a seminar room every Tuesday at 3:00 PM that the same information cannot be disseminated asynchronously on a Web based venue?

Research, collaboration, seminars/panel discussions, professional presentations, intensive trainings, etc. I think one of the hardest things for an online program to reproduce is the collaborative piece of graduate learning. I find that the classes are merely the first step in a graduate education. All of the other time spent doing the things I previously mentioned really crystalizes the classroom learning.

[Oh, and Therapist, perhaps having a family is not the best ancillary "supplement" for mental health providing. However, the background of most online learners is a person in his/her late 30s who has already accumulated significant life and professional experience. I would think that person is in a better position to establish a more legitimate and comprehensive therapeutic rapport than a twenty-something PhD who never left campus after high school.]

I beg to differ. Life experience is definitely valuable, and professional experience is obviously helpful, but therapeutic rapport has little to do with age, and much more to do with interpersonal skills. If you have the ability to connect with people on an interpersonal level, you have a much better chance of facilitating therapeutic change, compared to being of similar age or background as your patient. I know plenty of people with YEARS of experience who would make lousy clinicians.

I think your rather negative view on younger clinicians is definitely misguided. I do believe that a clinical would benefit from getting at least a few years of life experience before going into a clinical program....but that is just my preference (I actually wish they required it, much like top b'schools require at least 3-4 years of experience). I still think a 'twenty-something Ph.D.' can be a competent clinician and make up the 'gap' of experience with other abilities such as strong clinical training, interpersonal skills, and other intangibles. The other side to 'experience' is bias. Not all experience is good experience.

So, again, what in an I/O program requires one to literally reside in a particular geographic location for a specified period of time?
Research, collaboration, seminars/panel discussions, professional presentations, intensive trainings, etc. I really believe in immersion. I believe being physically present in an academic environment is more stimulating than sitting at a computer because you are surrounded by your field of study. I have learned an enormous amount from my fellow students, much of which was facilitated in the labs, study areas, at the library, etc. I have extended my knowledge base by the 'information bleed' of working closely with others pursuing their specialties.

An anecdotal example: My friend completed her I/O Ph.D. a couple years ago, and she spent a TON of time doing the things i mentioned above. Again expanding the graduate experience. She was finishing up her dissertation/research and actually relocated across the country. In a way, she went from residential to distance learning....and it was a very difficult change. She did things remotely, but had to fly in to complete certain parts. I am sure you could design your own research to avoid this, but I really thing the collaborative piece is CRITICAL in both I/O and Clinical programs. I actually prefer to do most things independantly, but I understand the importance of collaboration. Much of my peripheral knowledge was gained by attending local seminars/speakers/panels/etc. Because of the close proximity i've attended seminars far outside of my interests, but it was an easy opportunity to learn more about areas I didn't know as much about.

I don't mean to dismiss an online program, but I'm sharing my views of the limitations. Again, if the program is a good fit for what your wife is looking for....than by all means, she should do it. I have friends who have completed MAs and MSs online, and they were very happy with their experience (University of Phoenix was at least one of them). The online programs can definitely offer a quality experience, but I still think it lacks true collaboration.

-t

Therapist4Change: It is hard to produce 'the very best' when the student's focus is spread over a variety of areas, with no real allowance for extending the amount of time to make up for the fewer hours spent on the task at hand...
Research, collaboration, seminars/panel discussions, professional presentations, intensive trainings, etc. I think one of the hardest things for an online program to reproduce is the collaborative piece of graduate learning. I find that the classes are merely the first step in a graduate education. All of the other time spent doing the things I previously mentioned really crystalizes the classroom learning.
I will not waste time arguing that the experiences are the same because they obviously are not.
But, I think you discount the amount of collaboration possible in an online program while simultaneously exaggerating the amount involved in a conventional program.
Yes, collegial sharing is an important -- yet immeasurable -- construct. Yet it remains an assumed benefit of conventional program. I find it difficult to believe that every doctoral student is as collegial as your description would suggest.
So, you found that aspect of your program enriching? Good for you.
But . . . so did I.
Like your I/O friend, we were required to fly in for regular face-to-face collaborations and clinical proficiency seminars.

Ultimately, whatever the presumed benefit of collegiality experiences, it will be determined by whatever the particular student desires. I adjuncted at a major metropolitan university. Despite their best efforts, I saw very little "mingling" in the student body. Most students commuted in for classes, etc. and dashed off when they were done. But, again, I don't think someone graduating from this program would have the legitmacy of the program challenged because they didn't hang around on campus.

Therapist4Change: I believe it to be similar to an MS level person trying to argue that they are the same as a Doctoral level person because they both spend time in similar classes (ignoring the amount of time, level of work, depth of study, etc). I understand (in clinical at least) that a license is a license.....but I think people should try and get the best level of training as possible.
Actually, I believe you are comparing apples and oranges here as a Master's degree is generally a required prerequisite for admission to the online programs with which I am familiar. These students already come with an advanced level of education and training. It is disrespectful to dismiss it simply because it was not earned in the conventional MA-PhD one-shot program.

Oh, and I do not hold a negative view of younger clinicians. In fact, one of my post-doc supervisors at my internship was ten years younger than I and I learned much from her. But, much of what had been said in this thread has been mired in generalities. It seems disingenuous to disregard the potential benefit of accumulated life and professional experience in a setting which relies on interpersonal skills.

And, aren't you undermining your own argument by pointing out that experience engenders bias and that not all experience is good experience? (Perhaps the standard graduate program is the standard but maybe it shouldn't be! :) )

Therapist4Change: I beg to differ. Life experience is definitely valuable, and professional experience is obviously helpful, but therapeutic rapport has little to do with age, and much more to do with interpersonal skills. If you have the ability to connect with people on an interpersonal level, you have a much better chance of facilitating therapeutic change, compared to being of similar age or background as your patient. I know plenty of people with YEARS of experience who would make lousy clinicians.
You may beg, but you haven't actually proven anything here. Yes, ancedotally, there are some very good younger clinicians and poor older ones, and visa versa. But, as with any profession, there is another difficult to quantify construct: prior life experience. While the 10 year consolidated program graduate may have equivalent technical skills, do you really believe that -- on average -- graduates with several years human service experience have less or better developed interpersonal skills? Given the extraordinarily rarified experience of going BA-MA-PhD straight through, don't you think people who are seeking help dealing with the ups-and-downs of average life might feel more comfortable with a clinician who might have actually experiened some similar travails?

Therapist4Change: I don't mean to dismiss an online program, but I'm sharing my views of the limitations.
I do appreciate you sharing your views. (I especially appreciate the dignified manner in which you shared them!) I think your concerns are well grounded, but a bit naive. Do remember that the legitimate online programs were founded by conventionally trained clinicians who recognized an untapped pool of talent in mid-career adults and sought to provide a venue they might be able to utilize to upgrade their training and credentials. While it is not possible to replicate all of the positive aspects of a campus-based program, the online ones do recognize those limitations and have made efforts to create as equivalent experiences as possible.

As someone who throughly enjoyed undergraduate life on campus at a mid-sized state college, was immensely disappointed by it while earning a Master's at a larger urban university, and was impressed the collegiality experienced in an online doctoral program, I've yet to be convinced not "being there" does irreparable harm to the educational experience.

Can't resist.
Do remember that the legitimate online programs were founded by conventionally trained clinicians who recognized an untapped pool of talent in mid-career adults and sought to provide a venue they might be able to utilize to upgrade their training and credentials.

Is that why they did it?

Jon Snow:Can't resist.

... but you chose not to.

Jon Snow:Is that why they did it?

Of course not, because in Snowworld, people who do things you disagree with only did it to reap untold fortunes or take advantage of the gullible.

Care to explain why your motives (and those of conventional programs)are always pure, while alternative program students/adminstrators/founders must have some nefarious reason for their actions?

Care to explain why your motives (and those of conventional programs)are always pure, while alternative program students/adminstrators/founders must have some nefarious reason for their actions?

Oh, that's easy. . . fundamental attribution error ;)

Jon Snow Oh, that's easy. . . fundamental attribution error ;)
If you are truly so (sarcastically) self-aware, why then must we all endure your dismissive "stump speech" diatribes whenever some unsuspecting soul foolishly asks for information?

If you are truly so (sarcastically) self-aware, why then must we all endure your dismissive "stump speech" diatribes whenever some unsuspecting soul foolishly asks for information?

I think I provide useful information. I think people need to consider the perspective I present. I am not on an island. My views represent the opinions of many in the field.

...I think you discount the amount of collaboration possible in an online program while simultaneously exaggerating the amount involved in a conventional program.

I find it difficult to believe that every doctoral student is as collegial as your description would suggest.

There are definitely those who choose not to collaborate in a traditional program, and those who choose to go above and beyond within the online format, but I think the overall opportunity for collaboration is much stronger at a traditional program, and I think the typical doctoral student would benefit from this more.

Actually, I believe you are comparing apples and oranges here as a Master's degree is generally a required prerequisite for admission to the online programs with which I am familiar. These students already come with an advanced level of education and training. It is disrespectful to dismiss it simply because it was not earned in the conventional MA-PhD one-shot program.

That definitely is a factor, but I think this is an area we should agree to disagree. ;)

Given the extraordinarily rarified experience of going BA-MA-PhD straight through, don't you think people who are seeking help dealing with the ups-and-downs of average life might feel more comfortable with a clinician who might have actually experiened some similar travails?

I agree with you on this point (with my strong preference to require at least a few years out to ensure the students get at least some life experience before starting their graduate degree(s) ). As for the level of comfort of a patient.....I think it really depends on the clinician and patient. I think this is more problematic with older populations, though the same problem may arise with an older clinician and a younger patient....someone like an adolescent. My target population is actually around my age, so I haven't really run into any issues personally, though I do not work with older adults.....which is an area where this could be more of an issue.

I do appreciate you sharing your views. (I especially appreciate the dignified manner in which you shared them!) I think your concerns are well grounded, but a bit naive. Do remember that the legitimate online programs were founded by conventionally trained clinicians who recognized an untapped pool of talent in mid-career adults and sought to provide a venue they might be able to utilize to upgrade their training and credentials.

Thank you. I've always thought that it does no good to "fly off of the handle bars" when discussioning contrasting views. As for your point.....I think there are some online programs that have definitely tapped into an underserved market, but I think a large portion of the programs are definitely in it for the $. Unfortunately the programs that are in it for the $$ are hurting the more reputable programs, as well as traditional programs.

While it is not possible to replicate all of the positive aspects of a campus-based program, the online ones do recognize those limitations and have made efforts to create as equivalent experiences as possible.

I agree they have made efforts, but IMHO they still fall short. Even with these limitations, there is still not a loss of students. I am still concerned with the quality of training at most online programs, but that should be a program by program decision.

-t

I can certainly appreciate how the concept of an online doctoral program in clinical psychology could raise the eyebrows of many inside and outside of academia. If nothing else, it suffers from being unfamiliar.

What I don't understand is how the Student Doctor Network Forum tribe can so casually dismiss a program like Capella's without, at the same time, implicitly proclaiming that Psychwhy is either an incompetent or a fraud. After all, if his education is deemed illegitimate then ipso facto, professionally speaking anyway, so is he. I reject such a conclusion.

Unless some of the members here fraternize with each other away from this forum, what we do know about one another rests with what we choose to share about ourselves and how we thoughtfully we share it. From the bits of Psychwhy's c.v. that he's mentioned in his posts, his credentials and his presentation don't appear to be in the least bit lacking. (Does he really seem less informed or under-experienced compared to the rank and file here? Exactly what is that some of you are convinced he doesn't know or can't compensate for because he so foolishly chose to attend an online program?) Yet it would seem that by a show of hands no one would deem him worthy of a referral simply because he took an alternate (Internet-based) route to his PhD. If you discovered that a friend of family member was receiving psychological services from him would you advise them to run for their life?!

If What You See Is What You Get, then I definitely don't get what most of you apparently see. I think Psychwhy's bragging rights about his accomplishments -- and his path to them -- are no less deserving than anyone else's here.

To quote Clark "Sparky" Griswold (Chevy Chase) from National Lampoon's Vacation: "I think you're all f***ed in the head."

Therapist4Chnge As for your point.....I think there are some online programs that have definitely tapped into an underserved market, but I think a large portion of the programs are definitely in it for the $. Unfortunately the programs that are in it for the $$ are hurting the more reputable programs, as well as traditional programs.
This is the point that never ceases to confuse me. How did "for-profit" (especially in this capitalist society) come to mean "greedy and substandard"?
(Much as "liberal" has been retooled as equivalent of "unpatriotic"! :) )

There was an article in the Chicago Tribune today about the University of Illinois losing faculty because their $92,000 professor salary is simply not competitive. Now, of course, that is representative of the highest possible pay scale, but it does illustrate just how much money a Tier I university has to bring in to stay in business. Just because they don't pay shareholders doesn't mean they don't seek profit.

(Let's not ignore the fact that college tuition rises at several times the cost of inflation while universities are hiring fewer tenure track faculty, relying on adjuncts and grad students for more and more teaching.)

And Jon does have a point that traditional (Boulder model) programs do generally provide tuition waivers for graduate students but he does gloss over that the programs simultaneously require the students to become practically endentured servants for the duration of their studies. (Is this what you mean by collegial opportunities? :) ) Still, the university is making a handome profit which makes the ancillary work load of grad students unnecessary.

Trust me, when considering Capella, I thought long and hard about the impact of it being for-profit. But I have not seen nor heard any problems which could be traced back to the school being for-profit. Most of the complaints I have had about the University are the adminstrative headaches endemic to conventional programs as well.

Yes, there may be some legitmate concerns about the distance learning model. However, I don't see how the profit status of the University is all that important.

[To be clear: I am not speaking of the "send us $1,000 for a doctorate" true diploma mills. These existed well before the advent of the Internet and I think we all can agree such scams should not be permitted to exist.]

Trust me, when considering Capella, I thought long and hard about the impact of it being for-profit. But I have not seen nor heard any problems which could be traced back to the school being for-profit. Most of the complaints I have had about the University are the adminstrative headaches endemic to conventional programs as well.

It sounds like you (and your wife) did your research, so if it offers what you want....then go for it. Administrative stuff seems to run across most of academia, much like CS at cell phone companies is frustrating across the board...but no matter where you go, it will still be there. :laugh:

I think the 'for profit' piece is a concern because it implies keeping in students to get $, instead of otherwise cutting people who can't make the grades. I've heard of some programs requiring high grades to stay in (University of PHoenix), which on the surface seems good....but you also have to look at how easy/hard it is to get good grades.

What kind of work does your wife want to do with her I/O degree? I'm curious beacues though I went clinical, i'll be continuing my consulting work when I get out.

As an aside, I really appreciate everyone's ability to discuss such opposing views in this thread. I think a healthy discussion is really important for everyone's benefit. I hope it continues in other threads, since some thread seems to dead-end much more quickly than I'd like.

-t

T4C,

I'm not the original author of the thread, with the wife considering an I/O degree.

Though, because of the realities of the rural life we had to assume during my pre-doctoral internship, my wife DID earn a Masters in Curriculum and Instruction from Capella.

About student retention by for-profits, I certainly can appreciate why such a concern can arise.
But, by the same token, even if a Tier I university waives tuition for grad students, it certainly doesn't for undergrads. Woudn't such programs then have the same motivation to retain their $30,000/yr tuition?

It was certainly a small sample, but at my internship there was a representation of conventional PhD, campus based PsyD and distance programs. All of us could recount at least one classmate who made us cringe and fear for the reputation of our programs and the profession.

I think the one truly legitimate criticism of both distance and (most) PsyD programs is that they are unconstrained by the physical limitations of conventional universities. While I do not see any reason why an incoming PhD class has to be 3 - 5 students, there certainly is no reason (other than profit) to have one be 300 - 500 students either. Now, I know Jon will immediately equate the size of the class with diminished quality of instruction -- a point I do not concede. However, what does happen is that the internship/residency training programs are now simply overwhelmed as there is no concombinant growth spurt for them. Yes, corporate greed supplanting professional integrity is a factor. But at the same time, the professional associations years ago approved the training model that now permits nearly unfettered growth.

No one has been able to tell me why the powers that be signed off on the new paradigm. Couldn't these supposedly learned leaders of the profession see this coming?

I think the 'for profit' piece is a concern because it implies keeping in students to get $, instead of otherwise cutting people who can't make the grades. I've heard of some programs requiring high grades to stay in (University of PHoenix), which on the surface seems good....but you also have to look at how easy/hard it is to get good grades.

I attend a very competitive, highly ranked, research intensive, B&M, APA-accredited doctoral program in a major metropolitan city, and can assure you that getting A's is par for the course. I don't know of anyone who's received anything lower than an A- in any course. And it's not because there's a drove of Einsteins roaming the halls. My peers are hardworking and earnest, but they are not towering intellectuals (nor am I, though maybe I'm being too modest).

An acquaintance of mine is attending the clinical psychology program at another another online institution, Walden University. He shared several course syllabi with me. I was very surprised to see how much more rigorous and demanding these courses were compared to the comparable ones I took. Maybe my program is atypical, I don't know. But I'm too humble to conclude that a well-designed and executed online program suffers by comparison.

Yes, there may be some legitmate concerns about the distance learning model. However, I don't see how the profit status of the University is all that important.

. . . because $ is driven by tuition. The motivation is to accept as many students as possible and keep as many students as possible.

An acquaintance of mine is attending the clinical psychology program at another another online institution, Walden University. He shared several course syllabi with me. I was very surprised to see how much more rigorous and demanding these courses were compared to the comparable courses to the ones I took. Maybe my program is atypical, I don't know. But I'm too humble to conclude that a well-designed and executed online program suffers by comparison.

Appearances can be deceiving. Having had some close-up experience with professional schools for various reasons, let's just say experience is not experience is not experience. . . meaning what they claimed looked good on paper, but the reality was lacking.

Your output can only be as good as what you put in. Subpar admission standards = subpar product.

As for the query, "Would you refer to psychwhy?" No, and that's nothing personal. If it was my family member or whoever, I'd ask where they went to school, if they had ABPP certification, and what populations they've worked with (among other things). An online school would not get a pass from me.

Jon Snow . . . because $ is driven by tuition. The motivation is to accept as many students as possible and keep as many students as possible.
And, of course, we know that not-for-profit schools turn away scores of "sub-par" paying customers.

Jon Snow Appearances can be deceiving. Having had some close-up experience with professional schools for various reasons, let's just say experience is not experience is not experience. . . meaning what they claimed looked good on paper, but the reality was lacking.
Yes, indeed appearances can be deceiving as I would expect that an apparent doctoral graduate from ostensibily a Tier I school would rely more on empirical data and not anecdotal intuition.
Amazing how PsiKo tells you after comparing the course syllabi between an APA-accredited conventional program and Walden University's program, Walden seems to set a higher standard, but you dismiss that observation as deceiving.
This more of your personal fundemental attribution error?

Jon Snow As for the query, "Would you refer to psychwhy?" No, and that's nothing personal. If it was my family member or whoever, I'd ask where they went to school, if they had ABPP certification, and what populations they've worked with (among other things). An online school would not get a pass from me.
Oh for the love of all things obvious of course this is personal. You are passing judgment on my skills, integrity, professionalism, and intelligence, just to name a few.
Should where a clinician earned his/her degree be considered when choosing a provider? Absolutely ... of course ... as one factor in many.

But you've admitted that even if a psychologist had ABPP certification and appropriate experience, you would dismiss him/her out of hand simply because of the nature of his/her's program's delivery. And after 5, 10, 20 years of practice, are you still going to tell me that the graduate program weighs heavily as a deciding factor?

I guess we can be grateful that the majority of people choose a psychologist based upon a sense of rapport and confidence of the ability to provide assistance.

Just curious Jon, how would you respond to the psychologist if you were told that s/he earned a PhD in general psychology from say, oh, Harvard, but respecialized in clinical psych through Fielding Graduate Institute's program?

You'd think that if PsyD's and Internet PhDs were so conspicuously inferior to their PhD and B&M superiors, then logic (and economics!) would dictate that they should pay higher malpractice premiums. After all, if they're truly a risk to the public -- as Jon Snow more than insinuates -- then that risk must, in theory anyway, be adjusted for, right?

"he shared several course syllabi with me. I was very surprised to see how much more rigorous and demanding these courses were compared to the comparable ones I took. Maybe my program is atypical, I don't know. But I'm too humble to conclude that a well-designed and executed online program suffers by comparison."

Ya because these big time schools want to act like they have the best of the best.It is all BS.

This whole thread, although valid is quite indicative of why psychology has no real identity or respect.....:cool:

psisciThis whole thread, although valid is quite indicative of why psychology has no real identity or respect.....:cool:
Because of the fact that some feel it necessary to incessantly challenge the validity of PsyDs/distance programs?
Or the manner in which the discussion ensues?

And, of course, we know that not-for-profit schools turn away scores of "sub-par" paying customers.

Umm. . .yes?

Yes, indeed appearances can be deceiving as I would expect that an apparent doctoral graduate from ostensibily a Tier I school would rely more on empirical data and not anecdotal intuition.
Amazing how PsiKo tells you after comparing the course syllabi between an APA-accredited conventional program and Walden University's program, Walden seems to set a higher standard, but you dismiss that observation as deceiving.
This more of your personal fundemental attribution error?

It's not anecdotal intuition. I consulted at one of the more respected professional schools. It's direct observation. I've worked with professional school students from several of the bigger players in an applied setting. It's direct observation. Further, empirically, we know the professional school students have lesser credentials.

You'd think that if PsyD's and Internet PhDs were so conspicuously inferior to their PhD and B&M superiors, then logic (and economics!) would dictate that they should pay higher malpractice premiums. After all, if they're truly a risk to the public -- as Jon Snow more than insinuates -- then that risk must, in theory anyway, be adjusted for, right?

Let's keep the nurses from doing minor surgeries, etc. . . We have data afterall to support that they can't do it in the real world, right? Come to think if it, you may be on to something. . .

Just curious Jon, how would you respond to the psychologist if you were told that s/he earned a PhD in general psychology from say, oh, Harvard, but respecialized in clinical psych through Fielding Graduate Institute's program?

The schools are gatekeepers into the profession. Yes, I would be more accepting of the Harvard PhD that respecialized. Why? Because they've passed a competitive hurdle (whereas a professional school student might have graduated from JUCO, got a BA from Louisiana Tech or something, and a PhD from Capella) and . . .their knowledge level from the general psychology program probably covers a whole lot of theory they otherwise would get glossed over versions of at Fielding.

Ya because these big time schools want to act like they have the best of the best.It is all BS.

This whole thread, although valid is quite indicative of why psychology has no real identity or respect.....

They do (have the best of the best). Psychology has identity and respect issues because of professional schools. Find another respected field that does this. Just look at Capella's offerings:

Business and Technology
Education
Human Services
Psychology
Undergraduate Studies

Do you see law here? Do you see medicine? Do you see engineering?

Hell no!

Oh for the love of all things obvious of course this is personal. You are passing judgment on my skills, integrity, professionalism, and intelligence, just to name a few.
Should where a clinician earned his/her degree be considered when choosing a provider? Absolutely ... of course ... as one factor in many.

It's not personal, I don't know you. You could very well be competent. It's just not worth risk though. I wouldn't refer to anyone who earned their PhD from an online university. I likely wouldn't refer to anyone who earned their degree from a professional school. These programs have basically no admissions standards. For those of you who haven't, take a look at Capella's website (http://www.capellauniversityonline.com/phd/default.aspx) and tell me that belongs in our field.

It's not personal, I don't know you. You could very well be competent. It's just not worth risk though. I wouldn't refer to anyone who earned their PhD from an online university. I likely wouldn't refer to anyone who earned their degree from a professional school. These programs have basically no admissions standards. For those of you who haven't, take a look at Capella's website (http://www.capellauniversityonline.com/phd/default.aspx) and tell me that belongs in our field.

I checked out the clinical write-up and it states that it isn't designed for licensure. An I/O Ph.D. doesn't have a licensure.....so that is less of a concern. I agree with you, but on a lesser degree I guess. As a rule of thumb i'd shy away from referrals to Prof school and online graduates, but I'd evaluate on a case by case basis because there are exceptions. I know i've come across plenty of people who went to quality programs, and were NOT quality clinicians.

-t

Jon Snow: It's not anecdotal intuition. I consulted at one of the more respected professional schools. It's direct observation. I've worked with professional school students from several of the bigger players in an applied setting. It's direct observation.
OK, fair point.
Please then explain how conventional programs can still produce lesser clinicians even starting with the "best of the best"?

Jon Snow: Further, empirically, we know the professional school students have lesser credentials.
We do? Citation, please.

Jon Snow: The schools are gatekeepers into the profession. Yes, I would be more accepting of the Harvard PhD that respecialized. Why? Because they've passed a competitive hurdle (whereas a professional school student might have graduated from JUCO, got a BA from Louisiana Tech or something, and a PhD from Capella) and . . .their knowledge level from the general psychology program probably covers a whole lot of theory they otherwise would get glossed over versions of at Fielding.
So, there is at least one online trained psychologist Jon would consider. Hallelujah!

But "glossed over versions at Fielding"? Proof please?
PsiKo told you of the his/her comparison of a conventional program to Walden's and you just dismissed it as a "paper illusion."

Jon Snow: Psychology has identity and respect issues because of professional schools.
Yeah, Jon ... that's the only reason. Could it have anything to with "Tier I types" digging in their heels as they are being dragged into the 21st century?

Jon Snow: Just look at Capella's offerings:

Business and Technology
Education
Human Services
Psychology
Undergraduate Studies

Do you see law here? Do you see medicine? Do you see engineering?

Hell no!
And your point is? It can only be a "real" university if it has a medical and law school? I'm sure there are large number of people on this forum who started at small liberal arts colleges. Are you insinuating that every one of them has a "fake" Bachelor's because their school didn't have a graduate school attatched? What is your goal here, Jon? Disbanding every non Ivy League/Big 10 university?

And, to be honest, I was not pleased with the Capella ad you linked.
But NYU plasters the NYC subways with their advertising.
And in the education sections of the following papers:
  • New York Times banner ad for Columbia University;
  • Chicago Tribune Illinois Institute of Technology;
  • Boston Globe Harvard University and Boston University;
  • Los Angeles Times ESPN (go figure! :) )

Again, I didn't like the tone of Capella's ad, but I'm a graduate of one of its programs, not part of Communication office.

Alright, I may be adding fuel to the fire here but what in the h*ll?

On this link, http://www.capellauniversityonline.com/phd/default.aspx

under Psychology, either Education, General, or Industrial it says, Note: These degree requirements are not designed for licensure as a professional psychologist. Ok, so what is the d*mn point in getting a PhD from them if it does not qualify you to be a Psychologist? How did someone(they posted they got a degree in Psychology from Cabella) become a Psychologist?

OK, fair point.
Please then explain how conventional programs can still produce lesser clinicians even starting with the "best of the best"?

Let's take a football analogy, it's not always the X's and the O's, but the Jessies and the Joes. That said, best talent does not always equate to victory. It usually does, but not always.
We do? Citation, please.

There are some links at the top of the page, but in general. . . admissions to PhD/trad program ~ 10%, admissions to prof school ~ 50%. GRE and GPA scores are lower. I'd imagine you'd find the overall quality of undergrad institutions represented would be lower as well.
PsiKo told you of the his/her comparison of a conventional program to Walden's and you just dismissed it as a "paper illusion."

PsiKo looked at a syllabus for his conclusion. That's nice, but businesses are great at buzzwords. Why would you accept that analysis over my direct observation of the actual coursework and students at three other professional schools? As an example, I've watched so called neuropsych training in which the students reported their results directly to a neurologist, allowing the neurologist to do the interpretation (of neuropsychological tests) with the so called neuropsychologist professor in the room. What neuropsych did these students learn in this class? To give a standardized test and get a score? Anyone can do that. To interpret the tests? No, the neurologist was wrong, not that that is surprising given the neurologist had no training in interpreting neuropsych tests. But, when those students apply to internship, they'll say they have 2000 hours of supervised neuropsych experience. Bull****.

Yeah, Jon ... that's the only reason. Could it have anything to with "Tier I types" digging in their heels as they are being dragged into the 21st century?

Defined as letting anyone and their grandmother buy a degree with minimal entry requirements? Gee, I wonder why they're dragging their heels. How come medicine isn't going this 21st century route? How come engineering isn't going this route?

And your point is? It can only be a "real" university if it has a medical and law school? I'm sure there are large number of people on this forum who started at small liberal arts colleges. Are you insinuating that every one of them has a "fake" Bachelor's because their school didn't have a graduate school attatched? What is your goal here, Jon? Disbanding every non Ivy League/Big 10 university?

My point is that psychology has allowed substandard professional schools to proliferate to a level that they are producing greater than 50% of our new professionals. This is beyond stupid. It's suicide. 10% of our grads. . . ok, but most of them? No. That makes a mockery of the field and it equates us to those other professions listed at Capella. Psychology should be and was associated with bright students, now more than half of new psychologists come from DeVry style programs. Sounds like a brilliant plan to me. You disagree with this? Seriously?

OK, fair point.

There will be a bell curve pretty much wherever you go, but I think a traditional program will have a better chance at having a higher starting point, and a better pool to pull from. That being said.....i'd do it case by case, because I am sure there are some very good clinicians who come from both types of programs, and some very poor ones.

-t

Hey I can't say bull****? What the ****!. This is ****ing mother ****ing crap. **** and **** **** **** ****.

FutureClinPsycunder Psychology, either Education, General, or Industrial it says, Note: These degree requirements are not designed for licensure as a professional psychologist. Ok, so what is the d*mn point in getting a PhD from them if it does not qualify you to be a Psychologist? How did someone(they posted they got a degree in Psychology from Cabella) become a Psychologist?
Because psychology -- despite some peoples' insinuations -- is not a monolithic entity. There are many specialities in psychology, only a few of which entail clinical interventions and therefore require licensure.

Education, General, I/O PhD -> teaching, research, consulting, psychometrics, just to name a few.

It is important to note that the title "psychologist" is often protected by state law and can only be used by one who is licensed to practice psychology. (Though there some exceptions, e.g., academic psychologists who teach but never intend to provide clinical services.)

Capella does have two license-track psychology programs -- clinical and counseling -- which have additional course, didactic, and field work requirements.

The fact that some Capella graduates have earned licensure is evidence that some other "gatekeepers" of the profession have not succumbed to the "if it wasn't done the way I did it it must be unacceptable" propaganda and have concluded -- after pretty rigorous review -- that Capella grads have received comparable training to their conventionally trained colleagues.

The fact that some Capella graduates have earned licensure is evidence that some other "gatekeepers" of the profession have not succumbed to the "if it wasn't done the way I did it it must be unacceptable" propaganda and have concluded -- after pretty rigorous review -- that Capella grads have received comparable training to their conventionally trained colleagues.

I think what some in the profession (myself included) that are afraid of is a degredation of the quality of the new wave of clinicians. I'd be curious to see the average scores on the national exam, as compared to traditional programs. Many of the traditional programs I looked at had incredibly high passing rates, but the national passing average was quite a bit lower.....so there has to be a bottom end of the bell curve. I'm not sure the minimum that is needed to pass the exam, but I'd don't want programs to shoot for the minimum, but instead strive for the best scores as possible. I know there are programs out there who have very poor rates (probably online and traditional).....and I think these programs need to be seriously looked at. I don't want 'colleagues' in the field who took 2-3 times to pass, what i've been told, is not a tough exam.

-t

I'd be curious to see the average scores on the national exam, as compared to traditional programs. . . I know there are programs out there who have very poor rates (probably online and traditional).....and I think these programs need to be seriously looked at. I don't want 'colleagues' in the field who took 2-3 times to pass, what i've been told, is not a tough exam.
-t

According to psicsi in a previous thread on the Fielding Graduate Institute, Ryokan College in CA has one of the highest passing rates on the EPPP in the state. Ryokan is a license-granting (in CA) PsyD program which is not regionally accredited, let alone APA-accredited.

Is it a dark horse program of superior quality or, as psipsi claims, are they're just "teaching to the test?" I guess if you're one who's inclined to put stock in the meaningfulness of the EPPP as a measure on one's future performance, then the program at Ryokan must be pretty damn solid. Or, perhaps, the EPPP is a very poorly standardized test. Is it possible that Ryokan's sleeper program truly is first-rate and the EPPP scores of its graduates attest to that? I don't know the answer. But what if that is the case?

Is it a dark horse program of superior quality or, as psipsi claims, are they're just "teaching to the test?" I guess if you're one who's inclined to put stock in the meaningfulness of the EPPP as a measure on one's future performance, then the program at Ryokan must be pretty damn solid. Or, perhaps, the EPPP is a very poorly standardized test. I don't know.

I am not a fan of standardized testing in general, and I don't think the EPPP directly corrolates competency....but I think there is still somethere there with some schools that consistantly score at the bottom. I'm sure there are some schools that teach to the exam (scary thought), but I think at least a decent clinician should have no problems with it.

-t

I am not a fan of standardized testing in general, and I don't think the EPPP directly corrolates competency....but I think there is still somethere there with some schools that consistantly score at the bottom. I'm sure there are some schools that teach to the exam (scary thought), but I think at least a decent clinician should have no problems with it.

-t

Seeing as expertise in the area of testing is the sine qua non of applied psychology, isn't the notion that the EPPP fails to correlate to competency a powerfully damning commentary on the credibility of the profession? It seems only reasonable to demand that the profession that hangs its hat on its superior knowledge in testing should be capable of accurately assessing itself.

It is an unrealistic assumption that just because we can do something competently, doesn't mean that it will happen 100% of the time, with 100% accuracy. Reliable testing (and the design of testing) is challenging and is not immune from some variance. In an ideal world i'd love to have a test that can strongly corrolate....but at the moment, that isn't the case.

-t

It is an unrealistic assumption that just because we can do something competently, doesn't mean that it will happen 100% of the time, with 100% accuracy. Reliable testing (and the design of testing) is challenging and is not immune from some variance. In an ideal world i'd love to have a test that can strongly corrolate....but at the moment, that isn't the case.

-t

Who said anything about 100% metaphysical certitude? Rather, I was trying to point out the hidden irony in your comment. If the instrument that the experts of assessment (i.e., the field of psychology) designed to assess their own performance is not reliable . . .

Oh, never mind. :confused:

Who said anything about 100% metaphysical certitude? Rather, I was trying to point out the hidden irony in your comment. If the instrument that the experts of assessment (i.e., the field of psychology) designed to assess their own performance is not reliable . . .

Oh, never mind. :confused:

I know what you meant, but I also wanted to remind that much like surgeons can't always reproduce a surgery, we can't almost get the assessments right. Or something like that. :laugh:

-t

If you cannot attend a doctoral full time due to family commitments that's unfortunate but it doesn't mean inferior training and standards should be created to capitalize on your demographic. Ask yourself, Should I be able to "earn" a PhD (in anything) online? There is something fundamentally wrong with this equation. whether it is a clinical degree or I/O. I can't believe programs like this are legal.

Maybe I should just buy my degree instead of working my ass of for 6 or 7 years. For all the **** you have to go through to get into a good doctoral program it is very frustrating to see this type of crap. A PhD program in any psychological field, particularly clinical, should not be created for the sake of convenience.

Status
Not open for further replies.