~*~UT-Southwestern Class of 2011~*~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

baylormed

On the Search
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who's with me?? :D

Members don't see this ad.

pssst it's only 2006, slow down. :p

Members don't see this ad :)
so is anyone scared about the competitive atmosphere they hear about utsw?? what is your intake on that?

so is anyone scared about the competitive atmosphere they hear about utsw?? what is your intake on that?

I am scared also. Its the only thing holding me back from saying I am going there.

I am scared also. Its the only thing holding me back from saying I am going there.

i haven't been accepted to utsw, but i would urge you guys to go speak to the students before making your ultimate decision... its true sw is one of the best med schools in america, but EVERY single person i meet out in dallas that goes to SW tells me not to even apply there.

i haven't been accepted to utsw, but i would urge you guys to go speak to the students before making your ultimate decision... its true sw is one of the best med schools in america, but EVERY single person i meet out in dallas that goes to SW tells me not to even apply there.

that's interesting...i hear that from many people, but never from the actual sw kids...stressing out here!!!

Why do they say that? I'm curious to know that they have told you.

I have heard lots of negative things about Southwestern, mostly from people at other Medical Schools. One of my interviewers at Texas Tech spent about 5 minutes of our interview actively bashing them. Students at UTMB (including my tour guide) come in an honorable second place for UTSW bashing.

To me, this is negative advertising, and is kind of trashy/underhanded. If you want me to like your school, then tell me what is good about your school, not what is bad about other schools. Southwestern never bashed any of the other schools, and I can say that everything about my visit was a step above that at pretty much every other interview (Although, A&M still had the best food by far :) )

That's why, if the students are saying that things are horrible, I'd be interested to hear what they are saying and why. The UTSW students that post on pre-allo (potato51 and blinkycat are the only 2 that immedately come to mind) don't seem to be telling people to run away, and seem to like their school (despite the curves in some classes, etc)

I'm not scared about ugly evil cutthroat sabotage competition... I was, but as I have more conversations I'm gradually becoming reassured on that score.

I am worried about good, healthy, everybody-here-knows-10-times-more-biology-than-I-do competition. Basically: can I cut it at Southwestern and still make time for my family?

"I'm not scared about ugly evil cutthroat sabotage competition... I was, but as I have more conversations I'm gradually becoming reassured on that score.

I worried about good, healthy, everybody-here-knows-10-times-more-biology-than-I-do competition. Basically: can I cut it at Southwestern and still make time for my family?"

I am definitely in the same boat. I'm currently debating between Southwestern and SA and I'm agonizing over the decision. I have a lot of "quality of life"-type of concerns. I know med school is going to be difficult no matter where you go, but I can't help but worry about succeeding and still making time for my marriage. Anyway, I can definitely identify with your concerns.

Anyone have any insight?

class threads from past cycles:
c/o 2010: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=256536
c/o 2009: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=176511&pp=25
c/o 2008: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=102266&page=1&pp=25

I don't know how much helpful information there'll be in those pages and pages of threads, but it's worth a look-see.

baylormed said:
Can someone advise me about apartments...I don't want to have any roomates and I want a safe place (given the surrounding area). I don't care if they are a little bit more expensive, as long as they are nice, clean and safe.

I heard Medpark was okay and, I think, gated (?).

Any advice...also, the closer to campus, the better.

Thanks!!!

The popular choices are:

1) Med Park - Guarded, gated complex that shuttles you to and from the UTSW campus. You'll probably have a good time here since you'll be around fellow classmates and other UTSWers.

2) Inwood on the Park - very close to the school. Directly across from the North Campus where you can take a shuttle to the South Campus if you'd like. Might be pricy though.

3) 5225 Maple - My pick, though I don't live there. Maple Ave itself isn't so great, but the complex is alright. Cheaper than the above two complexes I mentioned, and it has an affordable housing program for you soon-to-be-poor med students.

I chose to live somewhere else, only because 5225 Maple didn't have a place available for the time I wanted to move in.

If you don't mind paying a lot of money, somewhere in the Uptown area might suit you, which i don't know much about.

The area along Cedar Springs and Lemmon Ave has tons of apartments available. If you come to UTSW for MS0 Day, they'll take you on a bus tour of the city and give you a listing of apartments recommended by students.

Of course, you can also choose to live in a DFW suburb (Irving, Las Colinas, Arlington, Plano, etc) and commute here, which a lot of classmates do.

Members don't see this ad :)
I want to join the club...

Of course, you can also choose to live in a DFW suburb (Irving, Las Colinas, Arlington, Plano, etc) and commute here, which a lot of classmates do.

How bad is the commute from, say Arlington? I need to buy a house, and somewhere in the burbs is probably where I will find an affordable house in a good area.

Congratulations to all of you who are planning to attend UTSW class of 2011!!!

How bad is the commute from, say Arlington? I need to buy a house, and somewhere in the burbs is probably where I will find an affordable house in a good area.

In case nobody's warned you, Dallas schools are awful, and some of the property tax rates will curl your hair. Some of the suburb schools have been going downhill the last 10-20 years, as well. Is your older child going to be school age during your med school?

Arlington is kinda far away from Downtown, especially with traffic... I am from the Dallas area and I would recommend living either around where I live, Rowlett (small town, part of Garland ISD, nice schools, etc.) or possibly the Plano area... pm me if you want anymore details

dancer, do you have any real idea what the commute would be like from Plano? I'd been thinking that was too far away, but it's been 12 years since I moved away, so my concepts of local geography are just a bit shaky.

Arlington is kinda far away from Downtown, especially with traffic... I am from the Dallas area and I would recommend living either around where I live, Rowlett (small town, part of Garland ISD, nice schools, etc.) or possibly the Plano area... pm me if you want anymore details

dancer, do you have any real idea what the commute would be like from Plano? I'd been thinking that was too far away, but it's been 12 years since I moved away, so my concepts of local geography are just a bit shaky.

Not exactly sure...but UTSW is off of 35, so if you live kind of close to 35, than you can simply drive down 35 to get there. Plano is to the north of Dallas. It all depends on what you consider a long commute.

I wish I could help more with these commute questions but I don't have much experience driving from those locations. I know it takes me close to 40 minutes to get to Arlington from where I live (near the school) and that's when there's no traffic.

I want to join the club, also for the person talking about Arlington. I am Dallas person born and raised. The traffic would be horrible in the morning do not do it. Your best bet is probably if you are willing to rent to check out houses in the highland park/ university park area for rent. Also all DISD schools are not bad. The vanguards and academies are good. I know my high school was named the #1 school in the nation and it is in DISD. If you or any other non dallas person wants to know anything, I am here for my future classmates.

Not exactly sure...but UTSW is off of 35, so if you live kind of close to 35, than you can simply drive down 35 to get there. Plano is to the north of Dallas. It all depends on what you consider a long commute.

If you go north on 35 past 635 (LBJ Freeway), there is Farmers Branch and then Carrollton. Both good communiites with GOOD schools. The commute will be kinda of a bummer in the morning and at night as you will be going with traffic. If class time is off rush hour the drive should be pretty short. These options are much shorter than Rowlett or Garland as you won't have to fight I-30 traffic.
\

In case nobody's warned you, Dallas schools are awful, and some of the property tax rates will curl your hair. Some of the suburb schools have been going downhill the last 10-20 years, as well. Is your older child going to be school age during your med school?

My oldest will start 1st grade (I think) during my 4th year. So, I'm not TOO concerned about school quality so long as they are safe and not too, too bad (how much can you screw up 1st grade?)

OK, thanks. I know where Garland is, but I thought that it was pretty far. Plano is likely too expensive, but I think it is also kind of far, no? I didn't think that 35 even ran through Plano?

I want to join the club, also for the person talking about Arlington. I am Dallas person born and raised. The traffic would be horrible in the morning do not do it. Your best bet is probably if you are

I realize my mistake. I said Arlington, but I meant Irving. Yeah, Arlington is FAR (halfway to Fort Worth.) I was going to look at the burbs on the west side of town, since the commute should be better from there than from the burbs on the east side.

willing to rent to check out houses in the highland park/ university park area for rent. Also all DISD schools are not bad. The vanguards and academies are good. I know my high school was named the #1 school in the nation and it is in DISD. If you or any other non dallas person wants to know anything, I am here for my future classmates.

University Park is big $$$ as far as I can tell (and always has been.) Unfortunately, I think I have to buy, since we currently have 7 pets. I doubt anyone will rent to me (and my pets.)

If you go north on 35 past 635 (LBJ Freeway), there is Farmers Branch and then Carrollton. Both good communiites with GOOD schools. The commute will be kinda of a bummer in the morning and at night as you will be going with traffic. If class time is off rush hour the drive should be pretty short. These options are much shorter than Rowlett or Garland as you won't have to fight I-30 traffic.
\

Thank you (and to everybody else.) This is the kind of info that I am looking for. Farmers Branch and Carrolton actually look to be really close to the Med. School. How are housing prices there?

Jota,

As is typical of most areas, there is a range of houses at a variety of prices, available. I did a quick Yahoo search for Farmers Branch and saw houses from around $130's/$150's all the way up to almost $1M. I would imagine that Carrollton homes(which is farther up 35 and thus farther away from UTSW) is pricier, since it is a newer community. I know it sounds like schools do not seem to matter too much to you, but wanted to give you the heads up that some Farmers Branch homes still are in DISD school district, so be sure to ask about this when looking. Good luck to you. I predicted that you and Pemberly would be accepted at UTSW and I was right!

I grew up between Dallas and Fort Worth and I also went to college in the metroplex. I would say Las Colinas is one of your best bets because its a pretty nice area and the drive is really not that bad, traffic from the north is really bad.

I grew up between Dallas and Fort Worth and I also went to college in the metroplex. I would say Las Colinas is one of your best bets because its a pretty nice area and the drive is really not that bad, traffic from the north is really bad.
Las Colinas/Irving are pretty good areas for suburb living from what I've heard and experienced. And the drive isn't bad at all.

Wow, most apartments are ~800/month and you still have to pay bills and buy furniture. I could buy a house in some places for that monthly payment.

I have absolutely no furniture (all I have is a desk), and in the long term it might be cheaper to actually buy my own than get a furnished apartment, but then I'm just adding to my already scary list of expenses for next year.

On another topic, I was looking at SW's tuition rates for 2007-2008 school year, and noticed it was $6,550. Sweeeeeeet (my undergrad is three times more expensive than that).

~$8000 for tuition and fees.
~$800/mo x 12 months= $9600
~$300/mo for car payment + expenses x 12 months= $3600
~$300/mo for bills x 12 months = $3600
~$200/mo for food x 12 months = $2400

Approx. Total = ~$27000

:scared:

Who's with me?? :D

so, i just registered on studentdoctor not too long ago... and i don't really keep up with the threads, but i heard about this thread... and i was SO HAPPY TO SEE ANOTHER BAYLOR BEAR heading for Southwestern. i haven't heard of any of my friends getting into this school yet, so it's great to see this. :D

i also wanted to say that you shouldn't be worried the competition. ALL MED SCHOOLS have competitive atmospheres. at the interview and social i talked to several med students, and none of them told me they regretted coming to southwestern... all the negative stuff comes from students at other schools. if you couldn't handle it, you wouldn't have gotten in. don't worry about the competition and congrats!!:thumbup:

so, i just registered on studentdoctor not too long ago... and i don't really keep up with the threads, but i heard about this thread... and i was SO HAPPY TO SEE ANOTHER BAYLOR BEAR heading for Southwestern. i haven't heard of any of my friends getting into this school yet, so it's great to see this. :D

i also wanted to say that you shouldn't be worried the competition. ALL MED SCHOOLS have competitive atmospheres. at the interview and social i talked to several med students, and none of them told me they regretted coming to southwestern... all the negative stuff comes from students at other schools. if you couldn't handle it, you wouldn't have gotten in. don't worry about the competition and congrats!!:thumbup:

Glad to meet a fellow bear who's going to be my future classmate!! :)

Wow, most apartments are ~800/month and you still have to pay bills and buy furniture. I could buy a house in some places for that monthly payment.

:laugh:
Sitting in the Boston area, in a 2-bedroom apartment that's $1500, I'm all happy about how cheap Dallas is going to be.

And seriously, I should think we could do better than 800. I think my sister pays under 600, but she's up in North Dallas nearly to Plano.

:laugh:
Sitting in the Boston area, in a 2-bedroom apartment that's $1500, I'm all happy about how cheap Dallas is going to be.

And seriously, I should think we could do better than 800. I think my sister pays under 600, but she's up in North Dallas nearly to Plano.

We could always choose to live in the less expensive apartments further away from campus...however, I think I may be willing to pay the extra price for convenience's sake. I'd also rather be surrounded by other students, I like the feeling of community.

We could always choose to live in the less expensive apartments further away from campus...however, I think I may be willing to pay the extra price for convenience's sake. I'd also rather be surrounded by other students, I like the feeling of community.

You're right about that. If I didn't have a pet, I'd be strongly interested in their student apartment complex.

Jota,

As is typical of most areas, there is a range of houses at a variety of prices, available. I did a quick Yahoo search for Farmers Branch and saw houses from around $130's/$150's all the way up to almost $1M. I would imagine that Carrollton homes(which is farther up 35 and thus farther away from UTSW) is pricier, since it is a newer community. I know it sounds like schools do not seem to matter too much to you, but wanted to give you the heads up that some Farmers Branch homes still are in DISD school district, so be sure to ask about this when looking. Good luck to you. I predicted that you and Pemberly would be accepted at UTSW and I was right!

Las Colinas/Irving are pretty good areas for suburb living from what I've heard and experienced. And the drive isn't bad at all.

Excellent! Thank you guys so much! Obviously, I have lots of research/shopping to do on my own, but you guys have given me 3 good places to start! I really appreciate it! Hope you all had a Happy Thanksgiving!

Also, could any of the current Southwestern students comment on how easy/hard it is to get a deferral (of one year?) From their web page, it seems to imply that as long as you apply for it early (before Jun. 1) they are "readily granted" into which I read [at least somewhat] easily granted.

I'm flip-flopping about whether I should apply for one or not. I have a lot of family issues to deal with, stuff to wrap up at work without screwing over my team (I'm a project manager,) and all of the logistics of just moving my life to Dallas. I'm really doubtful that everything will come together in ~9 months, so I'd like to have to option of deferring if not.

On the other hand, I am so ready to just get on with life and go to medical school, that sometimes I think I am silly to worry about things like that (i.e. why should I really worry about screwing over my team, since I'll be screwing them over, at least somewhat, no matter when I leave. Logistics usually have a way of working themselves out, etc)

Oy! Every time I think about this, my head spins.

Also, could any of the current Southwestern students comment on how easy/hard it is to get a deferral (of one year?) From their web page, it seems to imply that as long as you apply for it early (before Jun. 1) they are "readily granted" into which I read [at least somewhat] easily granted.

I'm flip-flopping about whether I should apply for one or not. I have a lot of family issues to deal with, stuff to wrap up at work without screwing over my team (I'm a project manager,) and all of the logistics of just moving my life to Dallas. I'm really doubtful that everything will come together in ~9 months, so I'd like to have to option of deferring if not.

On the other hand, I am so ready to just get on with life and go to medical school, that sometimes I think I am silly to worry about things like that (i.e. why should I really worry about screwing over my team, since I'll be screwing them over, at least somewhat, no matter when I leave. Logistics usually have a way of working themselves out, etc)

Oy! Every time I think about this, my head spins.
I vaguely remember someone in the C/O 2010 thread asking about deferrals, and someone replied that the administration is pretty good about granting them. I think they even posted what their reason was, but I forget.

Welcome to UT-Southwestern!
I just wanted to share my perspective on the school for those of you who are still undecided about where to go. Our class has only completed a few months of class, but thus far, I'm really happy with my decision to go here. Last year, when I was trying to decide on where to go, I too was concerned about the grading system and the "cutthroat" reputation. But let me tell you that IT IS NOT TRUE!!
In the past few months, I have been nothing but amazed by the supportive nature of the students, faculty and administration. Since starting class in August, I have experienced two major family emergencies -- one of which kept me out of class for two weeks.
Everyone here has been so willing to help: Faculty members have postponed exams; students have met with me in anatomy lab to go over what I missed; my classmates have shared their notes, brought over food, and offered words of encouragement.
My brother, who is also in a Texas medical school, did not have the same experience when he was forced to miss class for the same reasons. At first he was even told that he would be penalized, and he had to take steps to prove why he had to miss class. At UTSW, no one has ever questioned me regarding the situation, and they have expressed nothing but concern for myself and my family.
So, anyway, I just wanted to share my story for those of you who may have some anxiety about the atmosphere at UTSW. It is an incredible school, and I am fortunate to be able to go here.
By the way, I am also someone who does not have a science background (English major), and I have found that they present the material so that all of us can understand.

Welcome to UT-Southwestern!
I just wanted to share my perspective on the school for those of you who are still undecided about where to go. Our class has only completed a few months of class, but thus far, I'm really happy with my decision to go here. Last year, when I was trying to decide on where to go, I too was concerned about the grading system and the "cutthroat" reputation. But let me tell you that IT IS NOT TRUE!!
In the past few months, I have been nothing but amazed by the supportive nature of the students, faculty and administration. Since starting class in August, I have experienced two major family emergencies -- one of which kept me out of class for two weeks.
Everyone here has been so willing to help: Faculty members have postponed exams; students have met with me in anatomy lab to go over what I missed; my classmates have shared their notes, brought over food, and offered words of encouragement.
My brother, who is also in a Texas medical school, did not have the same experience when he was forced to miss class for the same reasons. At first he was even told that he would be penalized, and he had to take steps to prove why he had to miss class. At UTSW, no one has ever questioned me regarding the situation, and they have expressed nothing but concern for myself and my family.
So, anyway, I just wanted to share my story for those of you who may have some anxiety about the atmosphere at UTSW. It is an incredible school, and I am fortunate to be able to go here.
By the way, I am also someone who does not have a science background (English major), and I have found that they present the material so that all of us can understand.

You may have just sealed the deal for me.

Thanks for your post! :)

i'm so excited!!!! hey, when is a good time to start apartment hunting?? a month before school? 3 months? is anyone looking for roommates? :D

i'm so excited!!!! hey, when is a good time to start apartment hunting?? a month before school? 3 months? is anyone looking for roommates? :D

No, after 4 years of roomates I want a place just for myself. Med school is going to be hard without having to deal with roomate issues on top of it.

No, after 4 years of roomates I want a place just for myself. Med school is going to be hard without having to deal with roomate issues on top of it.

for real. i'm looking forward to living by myself.

If you want Med Park, get your application in early in the spring - MS0 Day if possible. Otherwise you can wait 'til the summer.

Another living option is Richardson (between Dallas and Plano). I had an internship at Parkland during the summer and drove in everyday (about 30 minutes). The schools are some of the best in the area, especially the magnet programs.. and housing is relatively cheap compared to Plano/Highland Park/Uptown.

For the record.. I took Central Expressway to Lemon, Lemon to Inwood to get to Parkland. Traffic on Central is a whole lot less (and more reliable) than 35, especially since construction is over!

I'm thinking about buying a house/condo/townhouse in Dallas. What are some good areas? All I've heard is not to live south of the Med Center.

I'm thinking about buying a house/condo/townhouse in Dallas. What are some good areas? All I've heard is not to live south of the Med Center.

What are you looking for? In terms of price range / environment?? I have a lot of friends who found pretty decent deals around SMU. If you're on the east side of 75 Central it's cheaper to live than if between 75 and the Tollway. And staying north of the Med Center is good idea.... dont let cheap housing fool you!

Remember you dont have to restrict yourself to the city limits. Its only like 10 miles north until you get out of the actual city!

i'm from richardson, it would be a horrid commute. prob 45 min - 1 hr (or more from northern plano) depending on traffic

just got the letter about the college system. :thumbup:
also just about to decline my other offers...:confused:
but again.... UTSW is the place to be. :D

what is this MSO day i keep hearing about? i just sent in my letter of intent and have no idea what everyone is talking about.