Interview-Trail Impressions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Bayview campus of Johns Hopkins
General: community hospital, geriatrics, rheum, cards, ID strengths. Overall, I was very impressed with the program.

+’s: warm, family environment, Hopkins reputation and connections, renowned, yet approachable faculty, excellent faculty teaching on wards/conferences, great career mentoring, amazing research opportunities, responsive administration, experience with procedures, education-focused, EBM

-‘s: social/placement issues, too much bread/butter (lacking high level of tertiary care, patient diversity), ancillary staff, seems to be a lot of private pts (have to coordinate care with other attendings, but told that have greater autonomy with these pts)

Members don't see this ad.

Was anyone disappointed with UW after their interview day?

I had expected to love the University of Washington's IM program, but felt that they did not "bring it" to the interview experience. I was left with the sense of a large program where residents receive a fine education but have little influence on the administration. The PD was largely absent on my interview day, which made sense after he told us that he was leaving after this year. I didn't meet many residents. The residents that I saw at the hospitals looked pretty beat (in comparison with equivalent program residents), but said they were happy. It didn't help that at lunch I sat next to a UW medical student who told me that the residents were worked hard and that they often went over the 80 hr work week limit... :confused:
One of my interviewers did not show and my replacement interviewer was an old-timer who had been at Harborview for 25+ years. He told me that "for whatever reason, we're highly ranked and a very competitive program...we love to take our own and take students who have done rotations here..."

Overall, I got the sense that the program was resting on its laurels and that its administration was in limbo considering that the PD is leaving soon.

What are people's opinion on UAB and Vanderbilt?

Members don't see this ad :)
Geri that, was my impression of UW when I interviewed last year as well. Very anemic. Had some lovely Seattle fish and chips with other disgruntled interviewees later that night, though. :)

I was also dissappointed with my interview day at UW and I went really really wanting to like the program. In fact, I still want to like the program.

I wouldn't necessarily say that the program is resting on it's laurels. It still is top 10 for NIH funding and I do think that the breath of experience here is very good because of the large catchment area and a full private-county-university-VA hospital system.

However, the program does not seem to be resident oriented. My impression is that it is for the very selfdirected learner. In particular I found that there seem to be a disproportionately great number of people who complete a hospitalist or fellowship year before going on to fellowship and I believe that this is because the program does a poor job of mentoring and preparing applicants for fellowship applications.

I was recently speaking with an applicant who did a Sub-I at UW and he confirmed that in terms of hours it is indeed a "malignant" program. That said... he wants to match there anyway.

:)

MGH: Predominantly a one hospital system. I enjoy the fact that part of the time is spent somewhere else, a community hospital known affectionately as the Newt. However, the residents don’t seem to enjoy their time at the Newt.

+’s: prestige, connections, excellent teaching faculty, down to earth people, supportive and responsive administration, 24 hour call, great PD, global health opportunities, Bigelow experience (team management), they say they help facilitate your career goals, warm atmosphere

-‘s: pt population does not seem diverse, low indigent care, overprivelaged pts, high pressure, lacking time at another hospital, except for the Newt which doesn’t seem like a good experience, expensive city to live in

Unsure about how happy the residents are.

U Penn
I liked the PD, Dr. Bellini. She seemed very business-like and perhaps less warm than some. Her presentation didn’t include any jokes, which I think contributed to it. However, the residents say non-stop how responsive she is and how she can really get things done fast b/c she’s in charge of resident education at U Penn in general. I think the U Penn system is full of very genuine people.

+’s: emphasize clinical training, friendly and nice people, variety of hospitals, efficient hospital, excellent ancillary staff, happy residents, very responsive PD, resident-oriented administration

-‘s: rumor that it is a fellow-driven system. Don’t know if this is true. Also, many residents take a year off before fellowship. I don’t know if this is a function of poor mentoring or not.

Yale
Although I have more lines of –‘s than +’s, I really liked Yale, and would be interested in hearing how others perceived it.

+’s: laid back, family atmosphere, inexpensive living (with good salary), good faculty teaching, international health experience, great fellowship matching, no orphan interns, serves some underserved patients, great SW placement, Yale name, genuine and friendly PD

-‘s: hard 2nd/3rd years (lots of call), poor reports from the Heme-Onc service, many teaching faculty are primarily researchers (could make their clinical judgment suspect), h/o busting 30 hr rule, unwilling and discouraging atmosphere (although I did not find this to be true in my experience there), VA (gotta work hard to get anything done and the residents don’t report a lot of good things about their VA), teaching/non-teaching services don’t discriminate patients that are good for education

Unsure: residents seem content, but not sure they are happy

With no intern attendance at morning reports at UW, you better be a self-directed learner.

Lankena,
Thanks for getting back to me. I agree with you completely regarding your pros and cons.

I talked with one of the residents extensively -- there is definitely lack of procedures, and also lack of autonomy (compared to other places I interviewd at).

However, I liked the quality of residents. Most seemed really nice.

Oh, and the hours and caps seem to be pretty malignant compared to other places. Breaking the 30 and 80 hr work rule is fairly common. I've heard, many do lie to meet the regulations. (for whatever reason).
Google

hey google!

i too interivewed at the mayo clinic and received a small personalized interivew note from one of my interviewers- but I am not taking it to mean that I will be ranked highly on their list!

Here are my two cents about Mayo-

+: MAyo is loaded with cash :) , curriculum, lots of research , fellowship placements from B to A+ ( they love inbreeding)

-:No one is talking about this , but the level of sweet-talking at Mayo did make me feel uncomfortable during the interview day, especially with PD trying to goad interviewees in to telling him the inside scoop on programs.

resident quality: I will be struck by lightening for making this statement :scared: the intern quality did seem not up to what I have seen at comparable hospitals: there was one fmg on the team I rounded ( was kickass as someone suggested in a previous post: shd have been an attending somewhere, I am not so xenophobic after all you see) . but the intern I rounded with was from some Southern medical school ( accent yeah!) and was pretty basic ( read more like a fourth year medical student): so is resident quality hurt by Rochester??? are people there just for the MAyo tag?

the place does not seem to be as procedure-oriented as other places ( why is not any one saying this!!): they have bone marrow teams!:mad:

pl feel free to take a jab at my opinions!!

Oh, and the hours and caps seem to be pretty malignant compared to other places. Breaking the 30 and 80 hr work rule is fairly common. I've heard, many do lie to meet the regulations. (for whatever reason).
Google
Are you sure?

I spent a month there on cardiology, which from what I saw and was told can be one of the busier rotations. Even for the few days when our service got big we weren't breaking 30 nor 80, though we were only very busy for ~4 days. I would usually be the last non-call person from my team to finish up and that would usually be around 5 pm - I would usually finish my work by 3 pm and then read for 2 hours before heading out, and I would usually get there at 7 am, but I never had to take call with my team as a visiting student. I suppose if you're putting in 12 hour days consistently and staying really late post-call you could be breaking the 80, but isn't it that way everywhere?

Every resident I asked said that they were reporting their hours accurately, even on the rare rotations where they would go over 30/80.

Here are my two cents about Mayo-

+: MAyo is loaded with cash :) , curriculum, lots of research , fellowship placements from B to A+ ( they love inbreeding)
I agree.

-:No one is talking about this , but the level of sweet-talking at Mayo did make me feel uncomfortable during the interview day, especially with PD trying to goad interviewees in to telling him the inside scoop on programs.
Most programs have asked me about my home programs so it didn't strike me as odd that he asked. I would probably do the same, and on the interview trail I certainly do ask applicants about their home program if I'm applying there. I'm wouldn't use the term "goad" to describe my interview experience, though.

resident quality: I will be struck by lightening for making this statement :scared: the intern quality did seem not up to what I have seen at comparable hospitals: there was one fmg on the team I rounded ( was kickass as someone suggested in a previous post: shd have been an attending somewhere, I am not so xenophobic after all you see) . but the intern I rounded with was from some Southern medical school ( accent yeah!) and was pretty basic ( read more like a fourth year medical student): so is resident quality hurt by Rochester??? are people there just for the MAyo tag?
I worked with the following on my cardiology teams:
- 4 senior residents, one was amazing, one seemed great but I didn't spend a ton of time with him/her, and 2 were solid to amazing depending on the subspecialty topic (they were both doing fellowships next year in areas other than cardiology). Overall I thought each senior could easily go into general IM and do just fine, and I was there relatively early in the year. On my rotation the seniors were encouraged to really run the general IM topics that came up on our cardiology patients, and they frequently did. I can't remember a single time when a general IM issue arouse when the senior resident seemed to really miss the ball, and they would frequently turn it into a teaching opportunity for the other team members including the cardiologist.
- 2 prelims, one was a FMG and was an attending back home who showed the steepest learning curve I've ever seen, the other was solid
- 1 FM intern, was solid
- 4 interns, one had spent time away from clinical medicine and was admittedly a bit rusty but still solid, two were cardio freaks who taught me tons, and one was going into a different subspecialty but was still solid.
When I say "solid" I mean that they were able to work up and present a patient and our attending only had minor adjustments to the plan - things like they would suggest a stress echo and the attending might prefer a stress nuclear study. I don't ever remember an intern presenting a patient and having the attending completely disagree.

I'm sure the location hurts them tremendously in recruiting the best and brightest. I'm convinced that if Mayo was in NYC, Boston, San Francisco it would be the most competitive program in the US. But for some of us older folks the location is actually a plus. My wife and I love the idea of buying a house in Rochester, having a 5 minute commute, getting to enjoy the outdoors, live in safe neighborhoods, and (at some point) send our kids to good quality public schools.

And I'm sure some people are largely attracted by the "Mayo tag."

the place does not seem to be as procedure-oriented as other places ( why is not any one saying this!!): they have bone marrow teams!:mad:
Bone marrow teams make sense to me. But they also have a male foley team and a female foley team! On my cardiology rotation the only time somebody needed a procedure was late at night and from what I could gather in the morning the intern and senior resident did everything with guidance from a cardiology fellow. We only had a few bounce from our service to the CCU, and I'm not sure who lined them but I'm pretty sure it was the CCU team and not our team. I don't think residents ever have to do blood draws or iv starts, nor patient transport for that matter. In Minnesota it's very rare to do these things, even at our VA. If I recall they have a new procedure rotation, so perhaps this will help things a little. But I agree that it's a less procedure-intense residency from what I've seen and heard - on the low end of the spectrum for sure. Is this a big deal? I'm not sure.

pl feel free to take a jab at my opinions!!
Thanks! Counter-opinions welcome as well.

this is one program that is again discussed to death!!! Probably the PD shd be given an invitation to address all concerns here....

Here are details of my experience:

the first thing was that I was dazzled by Mayo and its infrastructure .But when I came to my senses I started making my evaluations..
The inpatient team I interacted with had 3 people: 2 interns ( one prelim and one categorical) and one senior resident.
The senior resident was pretty good in that he was presenting info very efficiently and was trying to teach interns at the same time. He was doing agood job , but not a great job.
I could only evaluate interns' case presentations and ability to make clinical judgements : not how their clinical encounters are. And I compared them with what I have seen in my home school in Wisconsin .There was definitely a difference with the group in Wisconsin being more clinically sound and in general smarter. Moreover the attending was making a lot of judgements himself and dictating these to interns( order this and this blah blah blah... this was post-call). So the question of "autonomy" again comes up...

This assessment is based on my evaluating a small group and is prone to a lot of error . I can only hope that I am wrong.

And yes , the procedure thing was something that was quite a sore.:thumbdown: No doubt that all these foley and marrow teams help in patient management , but my sense is that Mayo needs to balance the needs of GME with its reputation and commitment to patient care.

btw just curious about this: is Mayo taking uninsured pts now?? Any info wd be appreciated.

It wd be a nice if programs cd give us an average log of all procedures ( central lines, paracentesis, bone marrows, skin bx etc) by graduating class.

Another thing was the variation in fellowship placement for esp cards and GI. No info on unmatched numbers provided. But it did seem that some 'good univ programs" in cards and GI in Boston, NC and California avoided Mayo residents. Or may be this is an indication of resdient preferences for fellowship placements.

I am glad that we are discussing this in such detail: my friends who have matched in urology and are applying for surgery/ derm/ oto apparently view Mayo as one of the ultimate training program in their specialities.Wow!!
And look at all the hair-splitting we future internists are doing!!! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Talking with a friend who rotated through Mayo on a surgical subspecialty rotation, he was amazed by the level of autonomy given to residents and even students. He said that the residents were left alone doing things that at other places faculty almost always do by themselves.

I'm not sure what to make of this autonomy business. Perhaps I thought that the level of attending ("consultant) input was reasonable because of the collegial way in which it was done. I never thought either of the two attendings that I had dictated a plan, but they would suggest things and the residents almost always took the suggestion. Even on my interview day rounding, the attending would only suggested other tests when somebody else didn't mention it. Teamwork was emphasized to such an extent that I rarely thought of a patient as having a single doctor - usually through the course of a hospital stay 2-3 interns/residents would take care of the patient due to late start, days off, clinic, and some sharing of the workload. I'm big on teamwork but I do see how this can seem to reduce autonomy and the feeling that an intern is doing everything for a particular patient. Since I couldn't see who was order tests, I can't say for sure if the attendings ever put in orders (which I think is a bad sign unless they're doing to help get an intern out on time or some similar situation), but this is one thing that I'm trying to figure out. I suppose its possible that I was just so impressed with everything at Mayo when I was there that I didn't notice such an issue.

Ok, one of my friends at Mayo said -- attendings usually do not order the tests... fairly painful, since mayo order entry sucks. A different form for a different test. But it is not unheard of. Often the attendings do write some orders on their own.

On my interview round, the attending certainly did dictate a few additional tests, or suggest changing the plan when they disagreed with the resident. I felt, the autonomy is definitely less compared to many of the other programs. However, at Mayo, it is all done in a somewhat suttle way. There was never any finger pointing or blaming others.

From what I know-- Mayo does take uninsured patients.. but these "uninsured patients" are expected to pay 20-45 K BEFORE being admitted. So basically no. You are unlikely to see the inner city problems at mayo. They did have Bush Senior visit 3-4 weeks ago... does he count as uninsured? ??

Lankena, my thought is -- the procedures are definitely less. There is a special code team... who runs all codes. So even if it is your pt, you don't get to run the code. Radiology does a lot of procedures. There is a procedure rotation... but that is not the best currently, based on what I heard from the residents on my interview/ dinner day.

I still feel the caliber of the residents was really good. On my interview day, I interacted with 2 interns and 1 G2. The mornign conference was also academically sound.

Feel free to agree or disagree with me. Thats just my 2 cents.

However, at Mayo, it is all done in a somewhat suttle (sic) way. There is never any finger pointing or blaming others. If the atttending suggests, blah blah blah, the residents expect it without question, even when they disagree.
This sounds very consistent with my experience, although I would not say the residents blindly followed orders on my services - when there was disagreement the attending would explain why.

I want to thank you guys for taking the time to post about your thoughts on Mayo. I was quite impressed with the program, although I agree that the procedures seemed to be a bit low. As a 3rd year student I got to tap a chest, but I found out that at Mayo they do most of the thoracentesis in radiology under fluro. Talking with some of the residents I have heard that there are procedures if you are really interested and gunning for them. This seems somewhat similar to other places that I interviewed- procedures aren't forced on you, you have to look for them.

I am not sure what to think about the autonomy stuff. I don't think that really exists anywhere for an intern- or at least it shouldn't. You really need someone there looking over your shoulder when you are making decisions. On my interview I only heard the attending offering a few thoughts or ideas about what the interns were suggesting. Certainly it wasn't any worse then what I see at my school.

I think procedures under guidance is a different issue. In this day and age, I think all procedures should be done under guidance when at all possible. I think Beth Israel Deaconess had a really nice solution to the issue of residents not getting enough hands on experience since more procedures are done by IR. I was told that when patients needed radiologic guidance, the intern or resident would go down to radiology and the IR guys are happy to talk them through the procedure. I wonder if other places do this. I'm sure if the IR people at most places have more than enough of the simple things to do (few IR fellows) and a little bit of time they would be more than happy to let the medicine residents get their hands dirty doing them.

Yale
Although I have more lines of –‘s than +’s, I really liked Yale, and would be interested in hearing how others perceived it.

+’s: laid back, family atmosphere, inexpensive living (with good salary), good faculty teaching, international health experience, great fellowship matching, no orphan interns, serves some underserved patients, great SW placement, Yale name, genuine and friendly PD

-‘s: hard 2nd/3rd years (lots of call), poor reports from the Heme-Onc service, many teaching faculty are primarily researchers (could make their clinical judgment suspect), h/o busting 30 hr rule, unwilling and discouraging atmosphere (although I did not find this to be true in my experience there), VA (gotta work hard to get anything done and the residents don’t report a lot of good things about their VA), teaching/non-teaching services don’t discriminate patients that are good for education

Unsure: residents seem content, but not sure they are happy

I am also wondering about Yale. I had never heard of the "unwilling and discouraging atmosphere." What do you mean by that? It seemed like a nice place where the residents tended to hang out with each other quite a bit after work and actually seemed to be friends.

merlin 17, I thought Yale seemed to have an encouraging atmosphere as well. I read on an old review on scutwork.com that describes Yale in a somewhat negative light - the most recent review. However, the review is not that negative and my experience at Yale was excellent. What did you think of Yale, Merlin 17?

Anybody else with thoughts on Yale?

Man I'm getting tired of writing these things. But since somebody asked...

Disclaimer - I've only been to the program during interview day. If I've made any factual errors, please somebody point them out to me. I'm also happy to hear differences of opinion. And the reviews I post should not be viewed as a marker of what programs I'll rank highly or not so highly. I've tried to be objective and address some of the concerns I've heard floating around SDN, and like many of the second-hand opinions on the internet, some are well-founded and need to be considered, some are minor, and some are just plain wrong. So without further ado, I present the Adcadet Review of Yale . . .

Overall - a very academic environment with a heavy research focus and tons of research programs, a solid international rotation, and a great name with an excellent match list. The big concerns for some is the traditional q4 call system which other people have said is on the harder side of the spectrum, and some recent and impending leadership changes at Yale. I think the program put on an excellent interview day that showcased their strengths well. I was impressed by the number of people who spoke with us - Chair, PD, Assoc. Dean for GME, somebody from the VA, head of the mentoring program, ~4 recent grads from their research programs, APDs, and a good number of interns and residents.

The Program Director - The PD is an older physician who's been at Yale for a while, and has served as PD for perhaps 5-6 years. He greeted people at the interview dinner along with an APD, and then they both left us alone with residents, which I thought was a pretty ideal way of doing things. While greeting us he made a point to comment on some parts of our application, which was impressive. Apparently he is responsible for choosing who to interview and then advocates for applicants in their committee meetings. During his multiple presentations he stressed "graded responsibility." Residents weren't really sure if he was specifically responsible for any changes in the program lately.

The Chair - Yale was without a Chair for a while (I think 4 years), which people on SDN in years past felt was a weakness. Their new PD is a Yale grad who was the head of pulmonary/critical care at UPenn, and said that he's only been at Yale now for 3 months. Supposedly he only agreed to come back to Yale after a number of his demands were met regarding some changes he wanted to make, the biggest of which was the creation of a medical step-down unit which they currently lack. He runs a basic science lab and is a pulm/critical care guy. He spent large parts of time with the applicants on interview day and seemed pretty sociable. Some of the clinical divisions within medicine at Yale are also without division leaders, including cardiology. Now that they have a chair of medicine they can move to fill those, and cardiology is supposedly first in line to get a new chair. One faculty member said that it should be filled this year, and that the new division head should be given some resources to impliment changes as he/she sees fit which should create a "honeymoon" period of sorts.

Residents - Residents seemed reasonably happy. The dinner the night before was relatively well attended, and lunch was with residents who seemed more than willing to talk. We didn't round with a team but did see a morning report. The morning report I saw was a very interesting case, but the resident (intern?) who presented didn't seem all that on top of his/her presentation, the Chief resident's teaching points were rather basic and seemed less than prepared, he/she attempted to give some positive comments but ended up complimenting the wrong person, and he/she seemed less than thrilled to have applicant participation even though resident participation seemed moderate at best. As advertised, they did bring in a specialist to comment on the case, and he/she was invaluable for the discussion. I did not see a medical student at morning report. The residents and Chief I talked to over lunch seemed nice enough, although it was a bit odd that one simply dismissed research as something he/she was just not interested in, but that's reality at even the most hard-core academic programs and it's good to know that there is some diversity of interests. As part of their commitment to "graded responsibility," interns are never alone at night, and they continuously work closely with a supervising G2 or G3.

Faculty - I really only talked with two faculty members who weren't directly involved with the program administration, so it's hard to make any meaningful comments. Neither tried to sell the program. I also picked up on the "not cold but not warm" East Coast vibe. As mentioned, the Chair and PD were around the whole day, along with most, perhaps all, of the Associate Program Directors for most of the time, which I thought was a good sign.

Patients - The Yale traditional program covers Yale-New Haven Hospital and a VA. YNHH is a mix of a community hospital serving a medium sized town (80% of patients come through the ED), and a teriary and quaternary care medical center. Multiple local residents I spoke to said that most people go to YNHH and think that it gives better care than the other hospital in town. Yale uses a firm system, so there are no sub-specialty primary services. They have a large and growing hospitalist service, but it's not clear to me if they have a mechanism for routing the less interesting patients to the hospitalists and the more interesting cases to the teaching service.

Conferences - There are a number of didactics at Yale. There are attending rounds at least 3 days/week and weekly with the firm chief. There is morning report each morning, frequently with an invited "professor." There is a summer lecture series for new interns covering many of the basic topics. There are core curriculum lectures, weekly M&M, weekly medical grand rounds, intern report once per week, and physical diagnosis rounds for interns weekly. An intern said that interns typically attend 70-80% of morning reports (60% is required by ABIM) and nearly 100% of all noon conferences.

Sites/Facilities -the Yale program covers Yale New Haven Hospital, a VA, and the categorical/traditional pathway residents recently stopped covering a private hospital near New Haven. YNHH is a thousand bed hospital, and it looked like a relatively nice hospital from my tour. I saw mostly single rooms, but my guide said that most rooms were actually quads - I find this hard to believe. There is currently a "$420 million hole in the ground" that will be the new cancer center in 3 years. The VA is in the top 5 nationally for VA grants, recently renovated, and a leader in quality of care. The VA of course uses CPRS, and apparently includes home access. YNHH is going through some EMR changes, and from what I remember they lack a single, comprehensive EMR. One resident said that in your first week of internship you'll want to throw the computer out the window. Residents claimed that ancillary services were good though no details were given and it does sound like you have to do your own blood draws now and then. On SDN it's been mentioned that YNHH has recently had union issues; these didn't come up on my visit. One faculty member did note that there is some tension between the hospital's desire to remain a community-focused hospital, and Yale's desire to have a world-class, specialized facility. Somebody outside of Yale has described YNHH as poorly run. As mentioned earlier, they currently lack a medical step-down unit. As the hospitalist service at YNHH has expanded they haven't changed the number of ICU or step-down beds, but supposedly the new Chair is creating a step-down unit.

Location - New Haven is a medium-sized city that has a reputation as being a really crappy city full of crime. Apparently things have significantly improved in the last 5 years, with crime decreasing and new businesses coming into New Haven. Most residents live downtown, within walking distance of YNHH, although many other options exist including living near/on the waterfront, although it seems that this is expensive enough to require a significant other with a good income. Boston is 2 hours away, and New York City is 1.5 hours away and easily accessible by train. It seems there is a large contingent of residents who head into NYC whenever they can, making me think that its harder to socialize with residents in New Haven. On the other hand, many people did comment on the great restraurants in New Haven. There are few flights into New Haven, and they tend to be more expensive, so many fly into more distant airports (NYC, Hartford, etc).

Schedule -They said that they have hired large numbers of hospitalists at YNHH in order to comply with the 80 hour work week. The G1 year includes 24 weeks on the firms, 4 weeks in the Yale MICU, 4 weeks in the Yale CCU, and 2 weeks in the Yale MICU or CCU or VA MICU for a total of 10 weeks of ICU experience in the first year. Interns get 4 weeks of elective, are on "jeopardy" for two weeks, and night float for 4 weeks. All of this time (24+10=34 weeks) is spent on q4 call, and there is a generalist rotation where you see outpatients and discuss them with inpatient docs while also taking call q4. Interns get 4 weeks of vacation. When I asked two residents about the worst part of the program, one said that with their q4 schedule they don't get golden weekends, and the other resident just remained silent. They clearly have one of the most traditional schedules out there, for those who appreciate the older ways of doing things.

Tracks - I only applied to and interviewed for the traditional pathway. They also have a primary care pathway which spends more time, perhaps most, at a private hospital nearby. There is no international health pathway per se but they have a well-developed international health experience. The international health experience is funded by Johnson & Johnson that covers your salary and a $2000 stipend. They have chosen to focus on 6 main sites, although you can still go to other sites if you wish. The Uganda site (Malaga Hospital) includes a Yale Ward, staffed entirely by Yale doctors. Time spent on the international rotation can count towards the tropical medicine CAQ.

Research - They heavily stressed research during the interview day. Someone on SDN suggested that it had a very basic research slant to it, although it was very clear to me that they are supportive of any type of research from bench to population studies and everything in between, and looking at their Research in Residency abstracts I would only call 5 out of 14 "basic" science. They did stress that they are a special place for human translational research, but many Universities are trying to make that claim. The Yale Dept of Medicine ranks in the top 8 in terms of NIH funding, and ranks #3 in terms of NIH funding per investigator. Yale has a number of research programs available to residents. There is the required Research in Residency program that involves a research proposal and 3 months of research over the G2-3 years. They also have an ABIM "short track" pathway, and it sounded like every resident at Yale was welcome to participate, although it wasn't clear to me if they would then guarantee a fellowship slot. There is a Investigative Medicine pathway which is a 3-year PhD combined with fellowship. There is a 1-year MPH without a thesis. And they are 1 of 4 sites to have a Robert Wood Johnson Clinical Scholars program, which is a 2-year master's level program in clinical research. To support this Yale as a NIH CTSA grant and is one of 4 original sites, they have a Center for Clinical Investigation, and of course there is the greater Yale University. They also mentioned that they are open to discussing "special needs" for residents who want to do something slightly off the beaten path. Nobody knew of any residents who have been able to do research during their intern year although they mentioned that in special cases it might be possible.

Fellowships - they stressed on interview day that they consider residents to be future fellows and leaders in medicine. Yale has a semi-formal mentoring program which was called a "dating service" of sorts by the faculty member who runs in. In October of the G1 year residents are partnered with suitable mentors, and from there they can do as much or little together as they want. The match list at Yale seems to be among the best anywhere - based on handouts at the interview day, their match list by graduating class is as follows:

Cardiology 2006: Cleveland Clinic x2, Stanford, Yale, Yale (invest. med program), UIC, UCSF, Mount Sinai, NYU, Tufts/NEMC
Cardiology 2005: Tufts/NEMC, Yale, Mount Sinai, Cleveland Clinic x2, Yale x2
Cardiology 2004: Yale x2, MGH, BU, BWH, Northwestern

Pulm/Critical 2006:UPenn
Pulm/Critical 2005: Yale
Pulm/Critical 2004: Yale x4, BU, UWashington (Seattle)

I interviewed at Yale's traditional and primary care programs. The PGY2 and PGY3 years are difficult in that they have a lot of call -- especially for the traditional program residents. One of the primary care residents told me that there are a few PGY3 residents each year that "burn out" and become bitter. In contrast to the residents, the interns I met seemed content AND happy. I was also told that the transition from internship to PGY2 was rough.

No "discouraging" atmosphere noted during my interview day at Yale. The program also seemed back loaded. It was also one of the few places where when I asked about the worst part of the program, interns and residents would cite their schedule.

Did anyone who interviewed at Yale not think that they were totally coasting on the Yale name? I think their attempts to match up well against the real big boys (UPenn, BWH, MGH, Columbia) is a stretch. And the crap about New Haven being a nice town all of a sudden - ummm...not sure about this. Great research, but I wonder about clinical care. The conference I saw was nothing special. They didn't seem overtly malignant but I wonder about their Q4 schedule and those poor senior residents who get eaten alive.

Did anyone who interviewed at Yale not think that they were totally coasting on the Yale name? I think their attempts to match up well against the real big boys (UPenn, BWH, MGH, Columbia) is a stretch. And the crap about New Haven being a nice town all of a sudden - ummm...not sure about this. Great research, but I wonder about clinical care. The conference I saw was nothing special. They didn't seem overtly malignant but I wonder about their Q4 schedule and those poor senior residents who get eaten alive.

I interviewed at Yale and did not think they were "coasting on the Yale name" at all. Perhaps you weren't paying attention, but they've accomplished (and continue to do so) plenty on their own merit. You can call their "attempts to match up well" with the others you mentioned as a stretch, but they provided those handouts for a reason--let the evidence speak for itself.

They are very much into providing (and teaching) the highest standards of clinical care. This isn't based on what I saw as an interviewee...it's an opinion based on many months of rotating with the department.

I'm sorry the conference you attended wasn't anything special. I would describe many, if not all, of the conferences I've attended on the interview trail as such.

The "poor senior residents who get eaten alive"....huh?

Yale is a wonderful place. Everyone has different wants and needs, making this process and our choices for residency very personal, but I can promise you that you would be trained very well at Yale. They're focused on being outstanding doctors, and they don't spend their time dwelling on how they compare to their New England counterparts in Boston, NY, or Baltimore. They leave that to certain applicants who are obsessed with this sort of thing. It's the same group who would choose a place because they're ranked higher in US News' lists...it's your life, do what you will. People at Yale don't have an inferiority complex and people who match there do so because they know it's the right place for them.

New Haven is a nice town and it's become a lot nicer over the last few years. This isn't a bunch of "crap". But you can all decide who you want to listen to yourselves...at least you know that my opinions and observations are based on years of experience, not a 1/2 day interview. And I'm not a resident at Yale posting incognito as a fellow applicant...I am an applicant myself and Yale is one of many places I'm looking at for residency. I just wanted to make sure people's impression of Yale is based in reality, not on gossip posted on these forums by someone who is obviously unfamiliar with Yale.

I'd be happy to answer any other questions, publicly or privately, any of you have about this place.

So if Yale doesn't have golden weekends how does their call schedule work?

If you interviewed at the University of Pittsburgh, what are your thoughts about the categorical program?

The medical school/UPMC system seems to be a rising star...it has a LOT of NIH funding and has recruited distinguished faculty. I was left unimpressed with the chief resident-run morning report during my interview day. Did anyone else have this experience? I wondered if my morning report perception was atypical... The residents were friendly, laid-back, and seemed happy. I loved the young, energetic program director as well. I'm unsure about the academic strength of the didactics, other residents, etc. in the program.

geri_gal-

I interviewed at Pitt. I agree completely with your assessment. The morning report I attended was was pretty lacklustre in terms of chief input and case presentation by the intern( who was from UPMC Shadyside I was later told: the FMGs in categorical and international Scholars Track are nice , but I cant say the same about Shadyside). The PD was one of the things that actually stood out ( seems to be very energetic and concerned about residents all the time).I actually liked PIttsburgh as place to live, very different from my expectations.
Concerns:
1. Cards fellowship placements ( great for GI and haem- onc though).
2. No formal subspecialty mentoring program in place (the "point person" approach that Dr Raquel mentioned is not very focused: most good programs already have mentors lined up for you; this cd explain to a great extent about their situation in cardiology as it is getting hypercompetitive).
3. the program was described as fellow driven during inpatient months by a resident from my medical school which was a shock (people pl clarify..........)
4. It seems to be rapidly coming up , but my sense is that it still is a second tier level A program: but shd be entering the first tier in the next three-four years( the chair is nice and concerned about the program and so is the PD): I will surely be checking their intern list to see who made it!

most didactics are nice: but some attendings are not that great. I did see the WISER: liked it a lot.

Also the UPMC looks like a big money-churning factory ( they seem to be gobbling up all hospitals in the area except Allegheny). The emphasis on money is too publicly displayed.

May be this is the program to look out for in the coming years.

Alright folks, last one.

Disclaimer - I've only been to the program during interview day. If I've made any factual errors, please somebody point them out to me. I'm also happy to hear differences of opinion. And the reviews I post should not be viewed as a marker of what programs I'll rank highly or not so highly. I've tried to be objective and address some of the concerns I've heard floating around SDN, and like many of the second-hand opinions on the internet, some are well-founded and need to be considered, some are minor, and some are just plain wrong. So without further ado, I present the Adcadet Review of Washington University in St. Louis. . .

Overall - a very academic environment with a heavy subspecialty research focus. Many of the concerns that were voiced here by last year's group of senior medical students (private patients, facilities) have been solved. The big concerns for some are living in the city of St. Louis, and a rough continuity clinic.

The Program Director - The PD has been at WashU for a while now it seems. Residents report that he's a good advocate, and one cited an example where he heard second hand about a problem with a call room, and the next day he was in the call room with facilities management telling them in detail what to fix. He was described to me by one resident as a giant sweet heart who patients love. On the interview day he seemed a little bit stiff although very polite. Residents think he's brilliant.

The Chair - The Chair was presence at the beginning session only, and he spoke briefly. Residents think he's pretty nice, and he has also been described as brilliant.

Residents - Residents come from all over the US, with perhaps a minimal midwest bias. Many have PhD's - 9 of the 54 from the categorical and intern class. Residents seemed very happy. The dinner the night before was relatively well attended, and lunch was with residents and interns who seemed more than willing to talk. We didn't round with a team but did see a morning report. The morning report that day was split into 3 different rooms due to the size with the added interviewees and a visiting professor. I suspect that this happened last year and is the reason why people on SDN last year noted interns showing up late and saying they got lost - because the conference was in an atypical location, not because the hospital is so huge. I was assured interns know where their morning report is. One resident I talked with felt that WashU gives a good amount of autonomy and is closer to the Hopkins/UTSW end of the spectrum than a place like Mayo.

Faculty - Other than a brief conversation with the PD and two of the APDs, I only talked with my faculty interviewer who was admittedly more knowledgeable about her subspecialty's fellowship than the residency.

Patients - WashU serves as a primary hospital for a large number of inner-city patients, and so they get their fair share of "good pathology." They are also the only tertiary care medical center for 150-300 miles, so they get a good number of patients referred in. Last year people complained of the number of private patients, and indeed in talking with residents they admit that this was their biggest complaint. During the interview day they claimed that private patients are no longer cared for on the teaching services, but instead go to the Gold hospitalist service - however, talking with an intern I learned that this isn't exactly true. There are still about 8 private practice cardiologists who still follow their patients in the hospital and will likely continue doing so indefinitely. The intern cited the private patients on cardiology as one of the biggest downsides of his year to date. The patients served in the continuity clinic are generally poor, inner city folks who otherwise have little access to medical care and can be challenging patients. One intern thought that about 1/5 of his patients were non-English speaking. In the hospital the social side of medicine can make disposition challenging.

Conferences - They claim a 100% board pass rate. On our interview day we participated in pizza rounds a 3 pm (pizza, no formal curricula, and some good local beer!), which is done every Friday. This has to be hands-down the best conference I've seen on the interview trail. The morning conference I attended was pretty basic although a good lecture given the dynamic personality of the Chief running the presentation. Residents were called on semi-randomly and they seemed moderately interested. Attendance at conferences is supposedly very good, and residents push interns to attend. One intern said that he/she has been making it to more and more lately has his/her efficiency increases, and overall he/she is at about 75% attendance. Either the Chair or PD are present at nearly all intern reports, which have gotten better in the past year. Many of the conferences are sponsored by drug reps, and other SDNers have commented on the heavy industry involvement in the program. The residents I spoke with didn't seem concerned or know how this was affecting the program other than perhaps giving WashU access to more clinical trials.

Sites/Facilities -WashU covers a VA, which is on the lower-end of the VA spectrum in terms of facilities and ancillary services. Interns seem to dislike the VA but are glad they only do 2 months there. The VA was described by one resident as "atrocious" in terms of ancillary services and nursing. Barnes-Jewish is the second largest hospital in the US. Last year there was debate over the facilities, and after seeing one of the old, non-remodeled floors I must agree that their old floors were pretty horrible. But, all the main medicine floors have now been remodeled, and they are among the nicest I've seen anywhere. Residents say the new floors are nicer than the old VIP floor. The floors are comparable to Abbott Northwestern's new Heart Hospital in Minneapolis, and comparable to the newly renovated neurosurgery floor in St. Mary's Hospital at the Mayo Clinic. The South ICU looks like a nice ICU, but the South ICU, a 10-bed unit seeing mostly oncology patients, looks pretty old and small - if this is the ICU that last year's SDNers saw then I can understand why they complained. Their new Center for Advanced Medicine is also gorgeous, although residents only go there if they are doing a subspecialty clinic. The resident's clinic in the Wohl Hospital building, however, retains that old "Barnes" charm and, as mentioned last year, looks like a jail - painted cinderblock, tiny rooms, etc. In the center of campus is a giant hole that is being turned into their genomics research center. All buildings are connected by skyway, including the Children's Hospital. The WashU EMR is undergoing some changes. CPOE is being piloted right now, and I was promised that it would be up and running by the time the new intern class started. Admission H&Ps and discharge summaries are currently typed, or more commonly, dictated. Dictations show up by the next morning. Daily notes are on paper in the chart, but the computer spits out a template each day complete with labs so you just fill in the subjective, exam, and assessment and plan. Residents report that the EMR system is surprisingly efficient. All outpatient notes from all WashU clinics can be viewed with the in-hospital EMR. Computers are plentiful, and there are Computers on Wheels around. Patient rooms are mostly doubles, with about 1/3 being single isolation rooms. Parking is covered, although residents have to park a few blocks from the hospital unless they're working strange hours.

Location - St. Louis was in fact ranked as the most dangerous city in the US. However, the medical center is in the Central West End neighborhood, next to Forrest Park. I explored the surrounding blocks, which consist of highways, the largest park within a US city, some nice condos and appartments, and many very nice small shops. The area has apparently gentrified in recent years. Residents say that the area immediately around the medical center is safe at night, but not much beyond. Many large areas of St. Louis are considered unsafe. About half the residents live very close, many within a block, and the other half spread over the rest of St. Louis. St. Louis is an inexpensive city to live in. The medical center is easily accessible by a 15 minute light rail ride from the airport.

Schedule - WashU must have one of the more resident-friendly schedules. There is no overnight call for interns except on the MICU (1 month) and CCU (1 month). All other inpatient rotations are q4 but residents stop admitting patients at 8:30 pm (8:30 pm when they get the call, not when the patient hits the floor but they note that ED turnaround time is pretty good) and are to be gone by 9:30 pm. There is night float, and residents mentioned that there is a push to be afraid to use the night float more heavily, including for procedures, to get the teams out by 9:30 pm. The struggle with the current system is meeting the 10 hours off rule, not the 30 or 80 hour rules. Resident hour reporting is informal, with residents occasionally having to fill out a form with their hours. The program seems to take a systems approach to hours violations, changing rotations instead of blaming residents. WashU uses a firm system, with 3 firms at Barnes-Jewish and a fourth at the VA. Interns do 3-4 months of firms, one month at the VA, one month of CCU, one month of MICU, one month of oncology inpatient, 2-3 months of ambulatory and/or elective, 2-6 weeks of night float, 1 week of sick call, and 3 weeks of vacation. For an intern, this adds up to 2 months of q3 overnight call, and 6-8 months of q4 non-overnight call. Junior residents do 4-5 months inpatient non-overnight q4 call and 2 months q3 overnight call. Senior residents do 1-2 months on MICU/SICU with q3 overnight call, 2-3 months of q4 non-overnight call on the firms. The firms are "geographically" located, minimizing the need to run all over this huge hospital. There is a triage resident in ED who controls which service patients go to (which firm, subspecialty service, or non-teaching hospitalist service). While this resident can't refuse admissions, he/she does reportedly do a great job of keeping cases with low educational value off the teaching services. Residents spend one-half day per week in their continuity clinic in addition to one month per year. Residents commonly cited their primary care experience as their biggest complaint. The program director said that residents are encouraged to create their own electives from the broad array of clinics at WashU. They do electronic evals at the end of each rotation, and two rotations do 360 degree evaluations.

Tracks - I only applied to and interviewed for the traditional pathway, but they do have the ABIM research pathway. Multiple times it was mentioned how this program is slanted towards subspecialty care. With a separate division of medical education, faculty denied that general IM education suffered. Previous attempts to bolster primary care have been dropped to allow them to focus on what they do best - medical subspecialty care.

Research - WashU is a research powerhouse. In addition to the Physician Scientist Training Program (ABIM short track), they also have a Clinical Scientist Training And Research (C-STAR) program that allows a 5-month block of non-call rotations and includes some graduate classes in epi, study design, etc. They also have the Mentors in Medicine program, in which residents can apply for $5,000-10,000 of funding for a 3-months project. Last year 29 applied and 21 were funded - when I asked about why 8 weren't funded I really didn't get an answer and was told that they can reapply next year.

Fellowships - Based on the handout at interview day that listed 45 categorical graduates, and not the graduating Chiefs, their match list is as follows (I'm assuming it's for 2006):

Cardiology: UC-Davis, Saint Louis University, Henry Ford, WashU x2

Pulm/Critical: WashU x3

I have to disagree with your assessment of the WashU continuity clinic as a jail. It is in fact a nuclear fallout shelter some 50 years after the bombs fell. My morning report consisted of an awesome case of completely straightforward APAP overdose. There are groups of thugs walking around campus during the day. Plus I'm not Indian or Pakistani so I wouldn't fit in.

I have to disagree with your assessment of the WashU continuity clinic as a jail. It is in fact a nuclear fallout shelter some 50 years after the bombs fell.
Have you been in a county jail lately? I think most fallout shelters are nicer than their clinic and a jail is much closer in look and feel. Except most jail cells are at least twice in size, they feed you, and you can usually get a good workout if you behave well. Plus, most people don't want to be in jail, just like the residents.

To be serious, I found some residents who found the facilities to be about as described but the computer system is very functional, many patients are there because they are poor and have no other health care option and are doing the best they can. Some of the residents I talked with actually like their primary care experience and enjoy their patients a lot. Plus, the PD talked about off campus options for a clinic, but I didn't catch the details.

My morning report consisted of an awesome case of completely straightforward APAP overdose.
Well, my morning report (or was it an intern report...I think it was an intern report come to think of it) was pretty straight forward as well but I think there's something to be said for covering the bases . . . even if the bases are tired of being covered.

As an MS4 at Wash U, I just wanted to make a few clarifications that will hopefully be helpful to some.

-I was recently talking with the program director, and plans are in the works for a new outpatient building that will house the resident clinic as well as outpatient clinics for other specialties (ob/gyn, etc.). It will be located across the road just north of the CAM, for those who know what I’m talking about. The architectural plans are completed, but I’m not sure when this will be up and running – for those applying now, perhaps it will be open for their R2 year. I am sure that this will be a more aesthetically pleasing clinic! Also, if you don’t like the current resident clinic, you can opt to have your continuity practice at another local clinic. (Some of these options include the Grace Hill clinics – these are community health centers around St. Louis).

-I’ve really enjoyed living in St. Louis for the last 4 years. It’s a very livable city with plenty to do (some highlights for me have included Forest Park, the St. Louis Symphony, Missouri Botanical Gardens, good hiking/camping a short drive away, etc.) The “dangerous” part of St. Louis is primarily North St. Louis, an area that you will never have to see if you don’t choose to. I live about 1 mile north of Barnes, and I walk to and from the hospital or take public transportation every day and have never felt unsafe. The Central West End is quite a nice neighborhood – there are lots of beautiful old mansions and buildings from around the turn of the century, restaurants, bars, shops, etc. There are also many other nice neighborhoods in St. Louis where residents live, including Soulard, Lafayette Square, the Loop, Tower Grove Park area, etc.

-Although some people may worry about how big the hospital is, it doesn’t seem that huge once you know your way around. I think that the volume/diversity of patients is one of its assets. As Adcadet mentions, Barnes inpatient medicine is kind of a combo of city hospital + big referral center, which makes for a good mix.

-My overall impression is that the training is great here, residents are happy, faculty are great and very approachable, ancillary services are good and radiology is fantastic (some of my former classmates who are now at other institutions always comment on this … ie it’s easy to get studies done and read very quickly), research opportunities abound.

-Mumpu, from your posts over the last 1+ years, you seem to add a negative word any time that the subject of Wash U is brought up. I'm sorry that you had a lousy time here, but I don't think that from one interview day you know all of the ins-and-outs of the program here.

-I have never noticed “groups of thugs walking around campus during the day” … !!

-Feel free to PM me if you have more specific questions about Wash U, St. Louis, etc.

No, the thugs wandering around campus beating people up is true; it's what my group did during the hospital tour. If you pay attention you'll see that most of these thugs are wearing suits.

Was anyone disappointed with UW after their interview day?

I had expected to love the University of Washington's IM program, but felt that they did not "bring it" to the interview experience. I was left with the sense of a large program where residents receive a fine education but have little influence on the administration. The PD was largely absent on my interview day, which made sense after he told us that he was leaving after this year. I didn't meet many residents. The residents that I saw at the hospitals looked pretty beat (in comparison with equivalent program residents), but said they were happy. It didn't help that at lunch I sat next to a UW medical student who told me that the residents were worked hard and that they often went over the 80 hr work week limit... :confused:
One of my interviewers did not show and my replacement interviewer was an old-timer who had been at Harborview for 25+ years. He told me that "for whatever reason, we're highly ranked and a very competitive program...we love to take our own and take students who have done rotations here..."

Overall, I got the sense that the program was resting on its laurels and that its administration was in limbo considering that the PD is leaving soon.

UW certainly "brough it" to my interview day - a big, steaming, pile of poo! Where to start...what's up with the PD telling some groups on interview day that he's leaving and not mentioning it at all on other days? I would be pissed to learn that the PD I met and talked with was stepping down and he never mentioned it on interview day and I had to work under some unknown new PD. The best explanation I heard for this lack of disclosure is that he has little to do with the residency any more...which I think says a ton about his leadership or lack thereof. My faculty interviewers had NOTHING to do with my many areas of interest. Its hard to interview with two faculty members and find nothing in common, but UW managed to pull that one off. And neither had read my file before hand. Gee, thanks guys! The food on interview day blew. I don't need anything special, but running out of the cheap catered food just looks bad. For as much as they talked up Seattle, they didn't even bother to bring us to a restaurant in the city. The intern I sat next to at the dinner the night before interview day was obviously tired and uninterested and really couldn't tell me why he chose the program, and with faculty hovering around I was wondering if he was afraid any negative comments would be held against him. The Chief Resident I talked with seemed too enthusiastic and would not admit any negatives about the program, making me think that she was just a propagandist. The VA sucks like most, Harborview is a cool place but the computers there blow, and UW Hospital is also stuck with the same crappy computer systems. Everyone talked about the work hours and about how they're now in compliance with the rules, even though if you ask you'll realize that no one there believes in the the concept of work hour restrictions. Do they still violate the work hours? Nobody gave me an answer I believed and most people just skirted the issue. And don't forget the driving distances between the hospitals and the fact that you frequently need to hit two sites in one day, and that they DON'T cover your parking. There's a reason they recently had a vote regarding the establishment of a union. Remember the other place that has a union - UM (Michigan), which formed its union when it was clearly and obviously malignant (not true anymore, I can assure you).

To be fair, I thought the 3 hospital system was great for diversity and pathology, and the residents amazingly trained. Amazingly trained despite their administration, not because of it. I think its a program that is being strangled by its administration. Many of the people from the north west seem to be leaning towards OHSU making me think that Seattle is in danger of loosing its place as the best program in the region. I know some who consider it the best program in the west after UCSF, but they clearly haven't seen the program lately.

So folks, keep your eyes open during the scramble, as I think there's a good chance UW will have at least one unfilled spot. As long as you're fine getting worked hard regardless of the rules, want a solid university program, and don't mind their total lack of leadership, this could be a great opportunity for the unmatched. Just remember, you heard it here first.

That's a rough assessment of UW. Like I said, the PD talked about his stepping down during my interview day, but only after he was asked during the Q&A session.

my impression of UW was the same of many of the above posters. the PD didn't mention stepping down (we heard from UW med students who were interviewing), didn't meet or even see any faculty members other than my interviewers, only saw/met one resident, who I had to 'share' for questions with 5 other people over lunch. only 4 or 5 residents showed up for morning report. the PD wasn't around after the first half hour and I never had a chance to meet him. i left knowing little more about the program than i did before arriving.

UW just didn't show up for the day (it was a stark contrast having just visited Brigham, where a dozen or more faculty members and residents warmly welcome applicants and answer any question one might have).

I like Seattle, am interested in primary care, and Harborview sounds great. I had thought UW would be among my top choices, before visiting. I wound up regretting the time and money spent going out there, and I won't rank it.

Hi there!

I'm an intern at UW, and I have to say that after 8 months here I strongly disagree with the above assessments. Overall, I'm extremely happy with this program, and its informal but academically rigorous training suits my personality to a tee. I ranked UW #1 last year.

I would just point out that residency applicants should realize that the interview day is just a snapshot of a residency program, and is greatly influenced by the desire to "market" a program. Programs with slick website and brochures often will also make it a point to develop slick interview days. Conversely, penalizing a program because they don't for whatever reason market themselves well is selling yourself short. Thus, I encourage you to find out as much as possible about each program before dismissing them as having bad training or an unfriendly atmosphere, which I recognize is quite difficult to do. When I interviewed last year, it seemed that many of the West Coast programs (which are for the most part public institutions) did halfass jobs of marketing their programs and my overall impression suffered as a result when I compared these experiences to those of other powerhouse (mostly east coast) institutions. I think the administration here is a bit stodgy and not progressive, however that is the sole problem in my mind, and for me, is significantly outweighed by everything else here, which has been fantastic. No one place is perfect, and every program has its pluses and minuses.

In terms of hours, I've averaged 70-80 (never over) on call months, and have broken 30 hours only once or twice this year. All call months are q4 except U ICU and harborview wards which are q5. Certainly comparable to anywhere else.

Finally, I made it to AM report and noon conference every day while I was on general med wards at the U, and there was typically very good attendance there, especially considering that residents are spread between four (three next year) hospitals. Keep in mind that at many institutions AM report is primarily intended for residents not interns or students (although both are encouraged to attend here). Noon conference has even better attendance, and if the program were to "market" itself well, would bring applicants to that instead. Seems like many folks on here interviewed on an off day.

Keep an open mind and try to see through marketing gimmicks. And please feel free to PM with questions. :)

Proffit - what is up with the recent unionization vote? What was behind that vote?

UW certainly "brough it" to my interview day - a big, steaming, pile of poo! Where to start...what's up with the PD telling some groups on interview day that he's leaving and not mentioning it at all on other days? I would be pissed to learn that the PD I met and talked with was stepping down and he never mentioned it on interview day and I had to work under some unknown new PD. The best explanation I heard for this lack of disclosure is that he has little to do with the residency any more...which I think says a ton about his leadership or lack thereof. My faculty interviewers had NOTHING to do with my many areas of interest. Its hard to interview with two faculty members and find nothing in common, but UW managed to pull that one off. And neither had read my file before hand. Gee, thanks guys! The food on interview day blew. I don't need anything special, but running out of the cheap catered food just looks bad. For as much as they talked up Seattle, they didn't even bother to bring us to a restaurant in the city. The intern I sat next to at the dinner the night before interview day was obviously tired and uninterested and really couldn't tell me why he chose the program, and with faculty hovering around I was wondering if he was afraid any negative comments would be held against him. The Chief Resident I talked with seemed too enthusiastic and would not admit any negatives about the program, making me think that she was just a propagandist. The VA sucks like most, Harborview is a cool place but the computers there blow, and UW Hospital is also stuck with the same crappy computer systems. Everyone talked about the work hours and about how they're now in compliance with the rules, even though if you ask you'll realize that no one there believes in the the concept of work hour restrictions. Do they still violate the work hours? Nobody gave me an answer I believed and most people just skirted the issue. And don't forget the driving distances between the hospitals and the fact that you frequently need to hit two sites in one day, and that they DON'T cover your parking. There's a reason they recently had a vote regarding the establishment of a union. Remember the other place that has a union - UM (Michigan), which formed its union when it was clearly and obviously malignant (not true anymore, I can assure you).

To be fair, I thought the 3 hospital system was great for diversity and pathology, and the residents amazingly trained. Amazingly trained despite their administration, not because of it. I think its a program that is being strangled by its administration. Many of the people from the north west seem to be leaning towards OHSU making me think that Seattle is in danger of loosing its place as the best program in the region. I know some who consider it the best program in the west after UCSF, but they clearly haven't seen the program lately.

So folks, keep your eyes open during the scramble, as I think there's a good chance UW will have at least one unfilled spot. As long as you're fine getting worked hard regardless of the rules, want a solid university program, and don't mind their total lack of leadership, this could be a great opportunity for the unmatched. Just remember, you heard it here first.

Wow, sounds like you have a very negative impression of the program. From your writing it's quite evident that you harbor a strong negative bias towards the program, and this is all from one interview day (is this even possible?). Such biased perspective renders ones observations suspect, as everyone can agree. But this is most definitely how you feel, and you should definitely not rank this program if you have such a negative gut reaction to it. That is what my advisor told me before I startd interviewing...sometimes you have to go with your gut. I'm sorry that your interview day went so poorly.

I, on the other hand, had a much more positive/balanced experience than you on my interview day. I thought the administration did seem a little stodgey, and one resident there told me the PD was stepping down after many many years at the program. I did not ask the PD directly nor was this information shared with me by the PD without prompt. However, this was generally felt to be an opportunity for some changes rather than "leadership instability" from speaking with several residents. I also asked about work hours (at every program I went to) and got very straightforward answers from the residents, unlike what googliegoo was asserting (or experienced). I also had the opportunity to chat with one of the chief resident who was very friendly and gave a very good post-residency perspective on the program and her experience there. WWAMI also sounds like an amazing experiencing. From speaking with the interns, hem-onc sounds like a universally dreaded intern experience (I wonder why that is, with the powerhouse Fred Hutch there..). I am concerned about the cost of living in Seattle and the three hospitals that are spread across town.

Overall, I find the program to be clinically and academically very rigorous. It seems like an extremely respected institution from speaking with my own school's dean of students and academic advisor. The only concern I have for the program is, unfortunately, something that seems endemic to major academic institutions on the west coast (i.e. uw, ucsf). 1. The three-hospital system in super crowded/congested cities with no subsidized parking for its residents...I realize these are state institutions, but I feel like the admin should at least shoulder some of the cost of parking. (I forget...but I remember someone telling me there is no parking at Moffitt or that you have to get there super early...is that true?) and 2. cost of living (the biggest issue for me).

Side note: I LOVED OHSU's campus (two hospitals connected by the skybridge). I just like skybridges..they're neat. Unfortunately I did not find myself to be a good fit for that program. Good luck with the match everyone.

I think procedures under guidance is a different issue. In this day and age, I think all procedures should be done under guidance when at all possible. I think Beth Israel Deaconess had a really nice solution to the issue of residents not getting enough hands on experience since more procedures are done by IR. I was told that when patients needed radiologic guidance, the intern or resident would go down to radiology and the IR guys are happy to talk them through the procedure. I wonder if other places do this. I'm sure if the IR people at most places have more than enough of the simple things to do (few IR fellows) and a little bit of time they would be more than happy to let the medicine residents get their hands dirty doing them.

Not bloody likey IMO. IR schedules are generally chalked full anywhere, they are not going to take the time to teach interns procedures.