(¯`•._.•==Texas Tech University Class of 2011==•._.•´¯)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

___Doctor786___

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all!!! I am so ECSTATIC and HAPPY to get accepted to Texas Tech class of 2011. I am excited to meet my classmates for next year. So, whose in here with me? Also, are there any medical school students who attend currently attend Tech and want to share some of their thoughts and wisdom about the school?:D

Members don't see this ad.

You beat me to making this thread! I haven't decided yet...

You beat me to making this thread! I haven't decided yet...

I must say you have a very impressive profile Y_Marker. You have important choices to make in the coming days (which is a good thing) and seems to me you can't go wrong any way you choose. Since you have several good offers, are you considering Tech as one of the top choices?

Members don't see this ad :)
I must say you have a very impressive profile Y_Marker. You have important choices to make in the coming days (which is a good thing) and seems to me you can't go wrong any way you choose. Since you have several good offers, are you considering Tech as one of the top choices?

As I have a family to support, I need to consider the financial impact. If I get a scholarship to help out with school expenses or if my wife can get a job there are some factors that are on my list. In other words, I can be swayed by reasonable recruiting efforts by the school. :)

As I have a family to support, I need to consider the financial impact. If I get a scholarship to help out with school expenses or if my wife can get a job there are some factors that are on my list. In other words, I can be swayed by reasonable recruiting efforts by the school. :)

Well, I can understand where you are coming from. Do you think that Tech will be offering any significant scholarship offers before the match? Are they sending us any packet before the match? Also, will the scholarships be merit based or need based?

Well, I can understand where you are coming from. Do you think that Tech will be offering any significant scholarship offers before the match? Are they sending us any packet before the match? Also, will the scholarships be merit based or need based?

I got some scholarship, but don't know the answer to your question. My MCAT scores aren't that impressive and need based I understand will be given out after you file FAFSA (so they know how much the need is).

I got some scholarship, but don't know the answer to your question. My MCAT scores aren't that impressive and need based I understand will be given out after you file FAFSA (so they know how much the need is).

Congratulations!!! I hope I receive one too. :love:

Anyone else here besides me that LOVED Tech when they visited? :love: Also, any medical school students that attend Tech currently?

I just received my scholarship letter in the mail yesterday (well, somebody at home got it and read it over the phone). It's a small scholarship, but hey, I'm surprised that I received anything.

I will be withrdrawing my acceptance here though, so it will hopefully go to one of you guys. :)

Congrats on your acceptance. You may want to look up class 2010 and 2009 threads for information or you can just post your questions here and I or other current students will cach them and try to answer.

Congrats on your acceptance. You may want to look up class 2010 and 2009 threads for information or you can just post your questions here and I or other current students will cach them and try to answer.

Hey there! How has your experience been so far? Do you want to share anything about Lubbock or TTUHSC or life in general as a medical school student?:smuggrin: I am very excited to start medical school next year at Tech. I will post more specific questions later.

It was alot of fun so far. Lots of studying too but we do generally have plenty of time to have life outside of school as well. Just got our anatomy final grades back. About 3-5% of the class will have to repeat the course. Other than that we are enjoying freedom brought by the beginning of Biochemistry course. Where are you from?

It was alot of fun so far. Lots of studying too but we do generally have plenty of time to have life outside of school as well. Just got our anatomy final grades back. About 3-5% of the class will have to repeat the course. Other than that we are enjoying freedom brought by the beginning of Biochemistry course. Where are you from?

I am from Houston. Had you lived in Lubbock before you went to medical school there? Well, I am glad to hear that medical school has been fun:thumbup: and that there is time to have life outside of the school. Are the students happy with the new cirriculum? How many hours per week are you all in classes, labs and other stuff that takes time? What are the class timings each day for the different blocks? How many hours a day do you typically need to spend studying outside of class to do well? Wow, that 3-5% class repeating rate makes me scared already:scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
Ummm, it's hard to say whether we are happy with the cirriculum. There are few bumps and bruises associated with the new program. Alot of us complained that we have only 11 weeks for Anatomy but I'm sure that even complainers were happy when we were done with this nasty stuff. Schedule is subject to change but what we had is 8 to 12 most of the days spent in class during Anatomy block. The rest is your study time. Now we have 9-12 some days and 10-12 most days. Every other week we have 1-3 pm lectures. If you have clinic (1/month) then you will be at school till 5pm.
For Anatomy I studied about 5 hrs every day. Depending on your brain power it may take you more or less. Cell biology and Biochemistry is less intese so far. Of course the week before exam you will be studying more. Some people choose to pull allnighters. I always quit by 9:30pm.
And btw 3-5% isn't that bad. I think I underestemated these numbers, but I can't help it. I'm just an optimitic person :)

Ummm, it's hard to say whether we are happy with the cirriculum. There are few bumps and bruises associated with the new program. Alot of us complained that we have only 11 weeks for Anatomy but I'm sure that even complainers were happy when we were done with this nasty stuff. Schedule is subject to change but what we had is 8 to 12 most of the days spent in class during Anatomy block. The rest is your study time. Now we have 9-12 some days and 10-12 most days. Every other week we have 1-3 pm lectures. If you have clinic (1/month) then you will be at school till 5pm.
For Anatomy I studied about 5 hrs every day. Depending on your brain power it may take you more or less. Cell biology and Biochemistry is less intese so far. Of course the week before exam you will be studying more. Some people choose to pull allnighters. I always quit by 9:30pm.
And btw 3-5% isn't that bad. I think I underestemated these numbers, but I can't help it. I'm just an optimitic person :)

Thanks for your prompt responses. Can you define what do you mean by "bumps and bruises" of the program? I will ask more questions in days to come.:D For now, I have to go back to studying Biochemistry.:p

Gunner! Bumps are the fact that we were no told that we will have Biostats incorporated into the anatomy block untill we had to show up to class. And of corse their unwillingness to post schedule till the last possible minute. Some people just want structure in their lives...
Personally the biggest issue for me is our early clinical experience thing. Very unorganized and unfair to some people who's clinical teachers are unwilling to teach.

Gunner! Bumps are the fact that we were no told that we will have Biostats incorporated into the anatomy block untill we had to show up to class. And of corse their unwillingness to post schedule till the last possible minute. Some people just want structure in their lives...
Personally the biggest issue for me is our early clinical experience thing. Very unorganized and unfair to some people who's clinical teachers are unwilling to teach.

No, not a gunner at all, infact I am the exact opposite (cramming for the Biochem test for tomorrow)! Anyways, so what are the fun things to do in Lubbock? Also, I I think it would be a bit cold for me initially comparing it to the hot weather of Houston.

Well, 'tiss still Texas, so you will not freeze.... Fun is self organized. We choose to party at least weekly. Somebodie's home or bar are favorites, although we do have theatre and symphony if you choose to be more sophisticated. You may be in shock for first few weeks, coming from big city, but considering limited amount of time and money you going to have Lubbock has plenty to do to fit your budget. And of course we have flag football, volleyball, and soccer teams, running club, and underwater hockey to work off all the stress eating calories.
PS Do not forget what you learned during this cramming session. It may come in handy during your second block.

Well, 'tiss still Texas, so you will not freeze.... Fun is self organized. We choose to party at least weekly. Somebodie's home or bar are favorites, although we do have theatre and symphony if you choose to be more sophisticated. You may be in shock for first few weeks, coming from big city, but considering limited amount of time and money you going to have Lubbock has plenty to do to fit your budget. And of course we have flag football, volleyball, and soccer teams, running club, and underwater hockey to work off all the stress eating calories.
PS Do not forget what you learned during this cramming session. It may come in handy during your second block.

Good to know that there are so many things to do even with a limited budget in Lubbock.:D Where are all my other classmates?:confused:

Actually you may freeze now. It's snowing in Lubbock

I like your enthusiasm, Doctor786. I'll be one of your future classmates.

I really liked all the people I met at the school, like Dr. Dalley, Linda Prado and them. I think its the small town charm. I can't stand the administration at UT-Houston.

I've never lived in Lubbock, but I've visited at least a dozen times. I think its great, I love how there is no traffic ever, cuz in Houston, every morning is a battle to get to work/school on time.

Later.

I like your enthusiasm, Doctor786. I'll be one of your future classmates.

I really liked all the people I met at the school, like Dr. Dalley, Linda Prado and them. I think its the small town charm. I can't stand the administration at UT-Houston.

I've never lived in Lubbock, but I've visited at least a dozen times. I think its great, I love how there is no traffic ever, cuz in Houston, every morning is a battle to get to work/school on time.

Later.

Hey there, where have you been? Yes, I am definitely enthusiastic to be one step closer to being a doctor. Well, I agree that everyone I met at the school were very nice. The students also seemed very happy. I have never lived in Lubbock either. Infact, my interview day was the first time I actually visited Lubbock. I agree about the traffic, it is definitely a lot better than Houston!

Hey guys, I'm not accepted into Tech at the moment, still hoping! The city of Lubbock was awesome. I was wondering if you guys could tell me the turn around time between interview/acceptance email.

Hey guys, I'm not accepted into Tech at the moment, still hoping! The city of Lubbock was awesome. I was wondering if you guys could tell me the turn around time between interview/acceptance email.

Hi there,
Well, it is still pretty early in the game, so don't despair at all if you have not heard anything from Tech. I believe only the first round of acceptances have gone out for Tech(correct me anyone if I am wrong). For me, the turn around time was about a week between the interview and acceptance, but as I said it's still very early and there is still a lot more hope. Hope that helps and good luck:luck: !

Seriously, don't worry about it until Feb 1, 2007. Turnaround time is sooo variable.

Are you guys coming to the Chrstmas party in Tech for new students?

Are you guys coming to the Chrstmas party in Tech for new students?

I did not even know there was one:confused:. However, I don't think I will be able to make it, although hopefully I will come to the Spring Training.

I am from Houston. Had you lived in Lubbock before you went to medical school there? Well, I am glad to hear that medical school has been fun:thumbup: and that there is time to have life outside of the school. Are the students happy with the new cirriculum? How many hours per week are you all in classes, labs and other stuff that takes time? What are the class timings each day for the different blocks? How many hours a day do you typically need to spend studying outside of class to do well? Wow, that 3-5% class repeating rate makes me scared already:scared:

Hey there! I'd been in Dallas and Austin before moving to Lubbock a week before orientation so I was not use to the size of Lubbock BUT I've decided it is great for medical school. You don't get stuck in traffic so it takes you 15 minutes to get anywhere anytime of day. There's a lot less stress due to low cost of living (I pay $450 a month to share a duplex where there's two of us in a 3-3). You can definilty find something cheaper if you don't want as much space. Also, they have pretty much everything here - just only one of them instead of 10 like a big city. There's definitly enough to keep you busy.
Other random things about Lubbock that are nice: often has really cool sunsets, it does snow from time to time (we had over a foot in places in our yard last week due to the wind blowing it around), and people are really friendly.

I hadn't actually heard the % of the class that was repeating anatomy but that is usually pretty good for any school as far as I know. As for how long it lasted, I actually thought the timing was perfect, except I would have liked one extra day in the middle of the course off. We didn't really have any breaks from when we started until Biology of Cells and Tissues started. BUT the office of curriculum is trying to sort this out and add in rest days after tests - still tentitive. The other nice thing about the new curriculum is they ask for opinions on pretty much everything. So if your class doesn't like something, tell someone, and they try and fix it.
The other thing about Anatomy and the part of the class that has to retake it is there are ways to be proactive and make sure you do well. The second years come in and do peer tutoring 3 times a week in the evenings. So if you need help or just want to talk things out with people, it is a great way to make sure you're on track. Not to mention the professors are happy to help and hold reviews before all of the tests. You just have to make sure you ask for help if you're feeling weak in something.
Hope that helps!

Hey there! I'd been in Dallas and Austin before moving to Lubbock a week before orientation so I was not use to the size of Lubbock BUT I've decided it is great for medical school. You don't get stuck in traffic so it takes you 15 minutes to get anywhere anytime of day. There's a lot less stress due to low cost of living (I pay $450 a month to share a duplex where there's two of us in a 3-3). You can definilty find something cheaper if you don't want as much space. Also, they have pretty much everything here - just only one of them instead of 10 like a big city. There's definitly enough to keep you busy.
Other random things about Lubbock that are nice: often has really cool sunsets, it does snow from time to time (we had over a foot in places in our yard last week due to the wind blowing it around), and people are really friendly.

I hadn't actually heard the % of the class that was repeating anatomy but that is usually pretty good for any school as far as I know. As for how long it lasted, I actually thought the timing was perfect, except I would have liked one extra day in the middle of the course off. We didn't really have any breaks from when we started until Biology of Cells and Tissues started. BUT the office of curriculum is trying to sort this out and add in rest days after tests - still tentitive. The other nice thing about the new curriculum is they ask for opinions on pretty much everything. So if your class doesn't like something, tell someone, and they try and fix it.
The other thing about Anatomy and the part of the class that has to retake it is there are ways to be proactive and make sure you do well. The second years come in and do peer tutoring 3 times a week in the evenings. So if you need help or just want to talk things out with people, it is a great way to make sure you're on track. Not to mention the professors are happy to help and hold reviews before all of the tests. You just have to make sure you ask for help if you're feeling weak in something.
Hope that helps!

Thanks! That was really helpful:thumbup:

I really enjoyed Tech. I am so glad I got an acceptance there.:)

Does anyone remember how many people they have for each anatomy tank?

We (class 2010) had 5 people to a tank which I thought sounded like a lot but it ended up being perfect. We switched twice (so you worked with three different groups on three different cadavers) - but the class before us only switched twice so it may change again - depends how surveys and grades ened up this year compared to last. Five may sound like a lot but you have to remember they're some people who don't actually like cutting (crazy if you ask me!) so they'll just stand there. And even if all five of you really like it - 3 hours a day is more than enough time to take turns - not to mention all the hours you get to go down to lab outside of class. Usually between the members of your first tank you spilt buying a Netters that you just leave down there (or you risk using one of the ones that's down there with pages missing and/or stuck together from last year) so if you see one cheap you may want to get that and split the cost with your tank when you get here. Then you usually work out some sort of deal with people printing off a copy of the dissector to leave down there so you have instructions for each day and can go back and review before the test. Hope that helps!!!

Wishing you all a very Happy New Year!!!!!!!!!

We (class 2010) had 5 people to a tank which I thought sounded like a lot but it ended up being perfect. We switched twice (so you worked with three different groups on three different cadavers) - but the class before us only switched twice so it may change again - depends how surveys and grades ened up this year compared to last. Five may sound like a lot but you have to remember they're some people who don't actually like cutting (crazy if you ask me!) so they'll just stand there. And even if all five of you really like it - 3 hours a day is more than enough time to take turns - not to mention all the hours you get to go down to lab outside of class. Usually between the members of your first tank you spilt buying a Netters that you just leave down there (or you risk using one of the ones that's down there with pages missing and/or stuck together from last year) so if you see one cheap you may want to get that and split the cost with your tank when you get here. Then you usually work out some sort of deal with people printing off a copy of the dissector to leave down there so you have instructions for each day and can go back and review before the test. Hope that helps!!!

Thank you for your help.:D

Congrats everyone!

Actually you may freeze now. It's snowing in Lubbock

First off, CONGRATS to class of 2011.

RRGirl isn't kidding. You really may freeze. It is below freezing every night now so all of our snow from Friday is still here. If you do get use to that, there's always the 40mph wind days when the sky turns red to keep you on your toes. If you are coming from Houston - it is VERY dry here. When you arrive/visit, invest in lotion, chapstick, and water - and seriously contemplate a humdifier. (I would say j/k about the last part except I know some people have bought them.)

Let us know if y'all have any questions.

This thread is very quiet. Where is everyone?

Hey guys, I am a MSIV here at Texas Tech and would be happy to answer any questions. Please focus you 1st / 2nd year type questions to others who already posted on this board; its not that I do not want to help but my class was the last 'old way of doing things' so my advice on that would not be very helpful.

If you need input on your clinical years or anything general about Texas Tech or the Lubbock area... hollar at me.

Good Luck and please note that you made a great decision in choosing Texas Tech. I dont care what other schools sometimes say, I still believe we get some of the best education in Texas and certainly graduate doctors with more hands on experience than anyone else in Texas!

Where are all my classmates?:confused: Lets get started already.:D

Don't worry and enjoy time away from your classmates. Pretty soon you will see plenty of them all the time. Day and night. :)

Ok, now the match results are out. Who is going to Tech?

hey guys I will be at Texas Tech next year. hell yes.

Hey guys, just found out ill be joining u at Tech in the fall...:D

Awesome.:cool: We are going to have a blast.:D

Awesome.:cool: We are going to have a blast.:D

I can't wait, im still shocked and suprised considering I applied really late and the fact that there weren't going tobe many seats available for the match.