Animal Nutrition Online Course - Opinions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sambone

Cornell 2013
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone taken an online animal nutrition course through any of the following schools:

Oklahoma St.
NCState
Purdue
Rutgers

What did you think? Input would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently taking the Purdue version of the course. It's self-paced which makes it nice - don't have to work on it, say this weekend when I'm between two interviews. The prof who runs the course is great - super helpful, no questions are considered stupid, he answers all of them promptly. The exams aren't too bad. It's kind of a lot to memorize, but it's not too conceptually difficult. Taking the class is kind of like sleeping through lectures and relying on powerpoints and lecture notes posted online. Not bad, but tends to cause me to over study... Speaking of over studying... I probably should get back to some biochem...

Jen

Currently taking the NC State one and I don't reccommend it. The professor takes forever to return emails, if at all. The information is plentiful and useful, but often there are many things wrong with the powerpoint presentations and test questions. These types of things are essential to have correct for an online course.

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm currently taking a "Companion Animal Nutrition" course through the University of Delaware online. it's pretty basic, but would probably fulfill a requirement. the instructor is really helpful and it's pretty self-paced.

i'm currently taking a "Companion Animal Nutrition" course through the University of Delaware online. it's pretty basic, but would probably fulfill a requirement. the instructor is really helpful and it's pretty self-paced.

I was planning on taking the Purdue one during the spring, because after googling all about the NC State and Purdue, it seemed like the Purdue instructor was very available. Nice to see that what I found coincides with what is said here.

This is interesting news, about Delaware. Companion Animal is right up my alley.

Not that I don't want to learn ruminent nutrition, etc.

Jen, is Purdue's course mainly large animal, or, is all species? Is there a particular focus?

Thanks for posting this! Good information!

Just a little comment...

I tried to enroll in the Purdue course but something went wrong with the credit card (it was one of my parent's and I think because it was a large purchase that wasn't at someplace they normally buy things from the company wanted authorization)....Anyway, I thought I was enrolled and told OK in good faith that I was. I got very busy and hadn't started the class. In the in between time I got accepted elsewhere and knew I wasn't going to OK. I tried to start the class anyway, and that's when I realized I wasn't enrolled. I didn't end up taking the class because it wasn't required for where I was going and it saved me that 680 bucks that I really didn't have.

If I had gotten into OK, there would still have been time to take it. OK was fine with me not taking it untill the last minute. Basically, at least for OK, you might want to wait to see if you get in before you shell out the money for the class and the book (another 80 bucks...I did buy that cause I really thought I was in the class).

Lots of Cows, Pigs and Chickens. Some horses and companion animals at the end of the course. As a recovering history major with only a small amount of exposure to cows, pigs, and chickens, I look at as a good thing.

Who is the professor for the NC State course?

Just a little comment...

I tried to enroll in the Purdue course but something went wrong with the credit card (it was one of my parent's and I think because it was a large purchase that wasn't at someplace they normally buy things from the company wanted authorization)....Anyway, I thought I was enrolled and told OK in good faith that I was. I got very busy and hadn't started the class. In the in between time I got accepted elsewhere and knew I wasn't going to OK. I tried to start the class anyway, and that's when I realized I wasn't enrolled. I didn't end up taking the class because it wasn't required for where I was going and it saved me that 680 bucks that I really didn't have.

If I had gotten into OK, there would still have been time to take it. OK was fine with me not taking it untill the last minute. Basically, at least for OK, you might want to wait to see if you get in before you shell out the money for the class and the book (another 80 bucks...I did buy that cause I really thought I was in the class).

I didn't apply to OK because they require the GRE Bio, and I just wasn't going to have the time and ability to get that done.

Purdue and Oregon want Animal Nutrition, though. I'd be taking it for them, in case I get in.

Purdue's site says they offer invites to interview in mid-January. Oregon says non-residents will be notified in "late spring". So... there's a very good chance I'll be signing up for Animal Nutrition!

(Because I'd never forgive myself if I ONLY got accepted to those two schools, didn't register for the course, and once I'm accepted - with it contigent upon Nutrition - blowing it! I'd have no one to blame but myself.)

For folks reading who want to know, schools that want Nutrition, according to notes I made a few months ago:

Purdue - Animal Nutrition
Florida - Animal Nutrition & Animal Science (offered at FL in summers I think)
Tuskegee - Animal Science/Nutrition
Oklahoma - Animal Nutrition
Oregon - General or Animal Nutrition
Michigan - Principles of Animal Feeding & Nutrition
Mississippi - Nutrition "BioChemical based"
Western - Nutrition

I didn't apply to OK because they require the GRE Bio, and I just wasn't going to have the time and ability to get that done.

I guess it's too late now, but the GRE bio was really easy. Also if you look at the old scores (at least when I applied, I don't know what last year was like)..the score range for accepted students is pretty low in my estimation. Admins there even sort of told me that they don't totally know/have decided on how to value it's weight in selected applicants.

(Because I'd never forgive myself if I ONLY got accepted to those two schools, didn't register for the course, and once I'm accepted - with it contigent upon Nutrition - blowing it! I'd have no one to blame but myself.)

I hear you. I probably (and thought I did) do the same. I just remembered that it was kind of a big expense (out of state, no financial aid, etc). On top of possibly taking the GRE several times and possible study classes for that, sending transcripts, all the little supplemental fees that add up.....applying to vet school can make one pretty broke. I never really would have dreamed about not trying to take the Nutrition couse, but in the end I was happy with the way things worked out.

For folks reading who want to know, schools that want Nutrition, according to notes I made a few months ago:

Purdue - Animal Nutrition
Florida - Animal Nutrition & Animal Science (offered at FL in summers I think)
Tuskegee - Animal Science/Nutrition
Oklahoma - Animal Nutrition
Oregon - General or Animal Nutrition
Michigan - Principles of Animal Feeding & Nutrition
Mississippi - Nutrition "BioChemical based"
Western - Nutrition

I didn't realize so many schools wanted it. i think I only thought it was OK, Oregon, and Purdue

It really is kind of a pain if you didn't go to a school that had an animal science program. I think a number of schools have really reduced the amount of nutrition they teach in vet school, so that's probably the reason.

I think it's "Warren J. Croom".

I have him as a professor right now. Before anyone jumps to any conclusions about his teaching ability, please be aware that he developed cancer this semester and has had to undergo several surgeries in the past month.

He's just now come back to class and is doing better. He's a great guy and a wonderful professor, just had a rough time this semester.

I guess it's too late now, but the GRE bio was really easy. Also if you look at the old scores (at least when I applied, I don't know what last year was like)..the score range for accepted students is pretty low in my estimation. Admins there even sort of told me that they don't totally know/have decided on how to value it's weight in selected applicants.

I hear you. I probably (and thought I did) do the same. I just remembered that it was kind of a big expense (out of state, no financial aid, etc). On top of possibly taking the GRE several times and possible study classes for that, sending transcripts, all the little supplemental fees that add up.....applying to vet school can make one pretty broke. I never really would have dreamed about not trying to take the Nutrition couse, but in the end I was happy with the way things worked out.

It really is kind of a pain if you didn't go to a school that had an animal science program. I think a number of schools have really reduced the amount of nutrition they teach in vet school, so that's probably the reason.

One of my recent professors warned me that the Bio GRE would require preparation. I probably should've looked in a book at sample questions and judged for myself, but I had so much going on with school, applications, re-taking the GRE...

I'm proud (hah!) to say that I am in a nice sized hole from applying to 13 schools, with four transcripts.

I should get back to my homework. This website is too tempting and distracts me way to much!:love:

Members don't see this ad :)
One of my recent professors warned me that the Bio GRE would require preparation. I probably should've looked in a book at sample questions and judged for myself, but I had so much going on with school, applications, re-taking the GRE...

I'm proud (hah!) to say that I am in a nice sized hole from applying to 13 schools, with four transcripts.

I should get back to my homework. This website is too tempting and distracts me way to much!:love:

Um, prep for Bio GRE??? I had no time for that. Horseyvet is right, it was easy. I was _not_ a bio major and still scored way above the class average. There was a thread about the Bio and regular GRE a couple of months ago where we hashed that out a bit.

I also had four transcrips to send around, so I hear ya!

Yeah I have been on this site waaaaay to much today, but it usually is the only break I take from studying. Not much time from now til after finals, so I may not surface much until after that...

Um, prep for Bio GRE??? I had no time for that. Horseyvet is right, it was easy. I was _not_ a bio major and still scored way above the class average. There was a thread about the Bio and regular GRE a couple of months ago where we hashed that out a bit.

There was just too much going on for me to make the Bio GRE happen, and by the time I saw the GRE Bio thread here, I think it may've been too late for me to add-in Oklahoma and Georgia.

Could've-Would've-Should've as they say, right? :oops:

Thank you for your comments, though. With luck, it won't matter anymore for me. And if not, I have another item to possibly add to my Plan B.

I was notified by OK last week for my application to continued to be considered, I HAD to show proof of registration in an Animal Nutrition Course (even tho there was an open time line to get it done). So, I registered the very next day with OK's course and should be recieveing my stuff in the mail hopefully this week. The course was $584 with books. If I get accepted, course work has to be completed by June 1st. If not, I have one year to finish the course. Either way, plenty of time.

They are my 1st pick, so I'm anxious. I'm hoping recieveing an email from them at all was a good sign??

I just finished oklahoma's online nutrition course. It wasn't to bad... mostly livestock though. Not really what i'm into but that's ok.

I'm taking Animal Nutrition (ASI 318) online through Kansas State (I think they offer a 100 level course too, but I'm not sure if it's through distance education or if it will meet vet schools' prerequisites).
ASI 318 is taught online, with audio lectures and powerpoints.
The text is not required (at least for the professor I have).
Also, the professor (Robert D. Goodband) is very nice and responds quickly to email.
Anyway, so far, so good, and I've heard that the Oklahoma course is not online (just a textbook), so this might be a better option if you want the information presented to you, but check on Oklahoma State, because when I called to get information about it, the woman said she thought it would go online soon.

Anyway, so far, so good, and I've heard that the Oklahoma course is not online (just a textbook), so this might be a better option if you want the information presented to you, but check on Oklahoma State, because when I called to get information about it, the woman said she thought it would go online soon.[/QUOTE]

For OK you get the textbook and a course book which go together and the professor answers email pretty quickly too. And you can submit everything through email. The reason that I chose OK over Kansas was because it was several hundred dollars cheaper and I had a full year to take the class, even though I did it in about half a regular semester.

I second the recommendation to avoid the NC State "Comparative Animal Nutrition" course online. While I have heard the professor is a nice guy in person, I was briefly enrolled in the online course this fall, and dropped it around the time of the first exam when I realized it consisted of pure memorization from power point slides. That, in and of itself, would have been fine, had the information been organized or presented in any semblance of order. But alas, it was almost entirely nonsense, random facts just poured over a bunch of slides. To add to this, neither textbook they ask you to purchase follows the course information AT ALL! After the course begins you find out that they are merely there for you to look up your own supplemental information. The in-person proctoring can be a bit of a pain as well, and from what I hear was just recently implemented because hordes of people were cheating their way through the course.

Although to the course's credit, I have a few friends who took it in person, and most people with 75-ish averages on the exams got an "A" as their final grade.

Just curious, as I've never enrolled in an online ourse of any kind...

How do the tests work? How is cheating prevented...isn't it perceivable that students will look at their notes/text?

:confused:

I had to have someone at my home school administer the exam and then I couldn't have any of my stuff with me, except a pencil of course.

Just curious, as I've never enrolled in an online ourse of any kind...

How do the tests work? How is cheating prevented...isn't it perceivable that students will look at their notes/text?

:confused:

Animal Nutrition at Purdue was the only online course I would have ever taken where the exams weren't online. I've taken onlines before, and some of them did let you use notes...so to make sure that you actually did study the material they'd just have a time limit and/or a giant pool of possible questions. So basically if you didn't pretty much already know the material, you wouldn't be able to get through it in time if you were looking everything up. Usually classes that used a giant pool of question let you take the exam multiple times, but obviously it would change each time.

Purdue had you take the exams in a live proctored situation and they had special forms about who was proctoring you that had to be filled out and mailed in. If I recall correctly, it didn't have to be anyone too particular...I think you could have a librarian do it if you couldn't find someone at your school.

Has anyone taken the class at Rutgers?

Most school will accept a general nutrition course from a community college. You can find them online and they are generally less than $100.

I took the OK nutrition course last year and was pretty happy with it. The only problem I had was finding a testing center. You are allowed to use librarians, but they are not always willing to help. The University near my house had a distance learning testing center and I was able to use it.

I am currently in the Purdue online course.... VERY VERY VERY GOOD... i do not have an animal science background and find it very informative and well taught. The proff is prompt and helpful... answers questions accuratly and throughly. I am happy with it, didnt finish this fall though, so doing it ontop of working full time at an equine clinic... oh well.

Do any of you guys know if it is too late to sign up for the animal nutrition classes? OR is there an option where I can take it during summer? I just got an invitation to an interview at Purdue, and I haven't taken animal nutrition yet. I was just wondering if I still had the option to take the animal nutrition class before fall.

I'm planning on taking the OK nutrition course soon. I checked their website and it looks like you can start the course at anytime - but definitely double check, as I read through it pretty fast. Hope this helps!

I'm pretty sure you can enroll in the Purdue course at anytime, year round. Just email the prof - he's great!

Yes, Dale at Purdue is very kind. The material is very easy, but you need to know it front-to-back. He teaches you all about how to balance nutrients in various forms of feed. He's a Cornell graduate, too.

One of my recent professors warned me that the Bio GRE would require preparation..

Really? I took the Bio GRE and I would have guessed that its one of those tests thats impossible to prepare for. It pulls from a huge body of knowledge obtained through taking a variety of biology courses and being familiar with experimental techniques. The kind of knowledge obtained over years of study rather than in an intensive course geared towards the exam.

And it was hard - I left the test thinking I got the majority wrong. But I was thrilled with my scores, so I guess they expect you to get a ton wrong. The test writers know that all biology students have a different focus, so they test the basic biology concepts in depth and ask a few broad-based questions on each of the subdisciplines. So youre supposed to get them wrong. They dont expect even the top students to be experts in plant biology and biochemistry and microbiology and anatomy.

Has anyone taken an online animal nutrition course through any of the following schools:

Oklahoma St.
NCState
Purdue
Rutgers

What did you think? Input would be appreciated!
My roomate and i are both taking the Oklahoma state one. It came recommended to me by others who had taken it and its not as expensive as the others. I recommend it.

I am currently taking the Oklahoma State class as well. It is cheaper, and you can email the homework assignments to the professor. I just emailed my first one, and he sent it back graded in just over an hour!

So far, so good. My only concern is that you have to request the exams (of which there are 5) via snail mail, 2 weeks before you plan to take them! I am a little worried about finishing before the end of the spring semester!

The assignments are very easy. One weekend, just do em all. Then request all 5 exams after they are graded. Call to let em know you want to do that. You can have it done quickly that way. I am doing it right now.

I’m currently finishing up the Oklahoma State Animal nutrition course. You don’t have request tests by snail mail, you can request them online with ics-stu@okstate.

75% of the course is stuff you should already know about the macromolecules (lipids, carbs, etc.) and energy metabolism. The only part I really learned anything from was the digestion unit, because it went heavily into ruminant digestion. Still, to get good grasp of the material, I had to consult other books. I wouldn’t call it an easy course, because for some chapters extracting information from the textbook and study guide is like pulling teeth. Also the textbook has many content and spelling errors. Easy part is that the tests are mostly from the study guide, but sometimes test questions are so vague it’s not easy to make an A on the test, though super easy to make a B.

If you just want to take it and get it over with, take OK state. If you really want to do some in-depth learning, consider someplace else.

does anyone have a link for the oklahoma nutrition course? I have searched but cant find the class.

Geez, I just started the online class at NCState...all I have done so far is get my (required) Skype account and connect with the prof. I was trying to decide between NCState and Purdue but decided on NC because they require the course and at that time, I was planning on applying there but not Purdue.

Darn it, I wish I had known about the other options...

does anyone have a link for the oklahoma nutrition course? I have searched but cant find the class.

http://is.okstate.edu/

Click on "college credit courses" to the left of the screen to find info on the Principles of Animal nutrition course. The "how to enroll" to the left of the screen gives instructions.

I'm taking the OK State course right now and like it so far (I'm about 40% done).

How long do you think it takes to comfortably finish the OK state course? I just want to know how long I should give myself. I heard it is fairly easy. Could I finish it in 5 months easily?

You could finish it in 5 months fairly comfortably (they give you a year to finish). The time-consuming part for me has been organizing a proctor for the exams.

For anyone who has taken or is taking the Purdue course - did you use the recommended textbook? Do you think it is necessary to buy? Is it well-written and easy to follow? Thank you!

I purchased the textbook for the Purdue course but I think I only used it once (for the final project). It's an interesting read, and since the course mainly focused on LA it gave some interesting info about dog/cat nutrition.

I think you could finish the OK state course in 5 months very easily. As for doing all the assignments in one weekend and then requesting all the exams - um, that sounds nearly impossible to me. Maybe I just work a lot slower that others, but reading a chapter in the book and the corresponding chapter in the class manual and then doing the homework assignments takes me 3-4 hours each, and there are 13 chapters and 5 exams. Still - not a lot of work when you think about it, but more than a weekend's worth.

The course, in my opinion, is fine. It gets the job done - know what I mean? But the prof, though he returns homework assignments in like 0.2 seconds, is not great at answering questions or explaining something that you don't understand. You will be on your own. Luckily, the course isn't hard so most of the time it's okay that he's pretty unhelpful.

If you work in a vet hospital, the practice manager (or HR person) can be your proctor. That's what I'm doing. Super convienient.

Most school will accept a general nutrition course from a community college. You can find them online and they are generally less than $100.

For what it's worth, A&M won't. Got off phone with the admin office today.

Hey

I took the ok state course a couple of years ago, as others have said, because it was the cheapest. It was also very convenient to be able to email assignments. I found the tests to be very detailed (all multiple choice)--but that's probably good practice for vet school anyway. The assignments are relatively straightforward and do help you learn the material.

Also--Ok STATE does not charge to send official transcripts (FREE!) and that was OK with me!

http://is.okstate.edu/

Click on "college credit courses" to the left of the screen to find info on the Principles of Animal nutrition course. The "how to enroll" to the left of the screen gives instructions.

Thanks for the link! It really helped. I need some help and was hoping you guys could help me. At the OK state website I found two courses that seem to satisfy the Animal Nutrition requirement. I was hoping you guys could take a look at these classes for me and make sure that both of them satisfy the Animal Nutrition requirement. Thanks once again!

1. ANSI 2123 Livestock Feeding
Nutrients and their functions, nutrient requirements of the various classes of livestock; composition and classification of feed stuffs and ration formulation. Not required of animal science majors.

Prerequisites: None. OSU Animal Science courses are approved for continuing education credit by the Oklahoma State Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners.

2. ANSI 3753 Basic Nutrition for Pets
Nutrients, nutrient requirements, feeding practices, food sources, and diet management for pets and companion animals, as well as exotic animals and birds.

Prerequisites: None. OSU Animal Science courses are approved for continuing education credit by the Oklahoma State Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners.

Nope, those are not the right courses. For one reason or another, OKstate isn't doing the standard distance learning courses this fall. I have not gotten a reply to my email asking if they plan on doing "Principles of Animal Nutrition" or "Introduction to Animal Science" this spring, but I will let you guys know as soon as I find out!

As for another alternative offered through OKstate, here are the courses offered through independent study. PLEASE NOTE that I have no idea if "Basic Nutrition for Pets" could fulfill the requirement for OKstate or any other vet school. I do not see Principles of Animal Nutrition in this list, so you may want to start looking elsewhere if you really need this course right now.

http://is.okstate.edu/courses.aspx

Also take notice that the books are included in the cost for these programs.

Good luck and I'll follow up with that info for next semester when I can, plus maybe some insight on why they aren't being offered in the normal way right now.
http://is.okstate.edu/pricelist.aspx?id=9276

Nope, those are not the right courses. For one reason or another, OKstate isn't doing the standard distance learning courses this fall. I have not gotten a reply to my email asking if they plan on doing "Principles of Animal Nutrition" or "Introduction to Animal Science" this spring, but I will let you guys know as soon as I find out!

As for another alternative offered through OKstate, here are the courses offered through independent study. PLEASE NOTE that I have no idea if "Basic Nutrition for Pets" could fulfill the requirement for OKstate or any other vet school. I do not see Principles of Animal Nutrition in this list, so you may want to start looking elsewhere if you really need this course right now.

http://is.okstate.edu/courses.aspx

Also take notice that the books are included in the cost for these programs.

Good luck and I'll follow up with that info for next semester when I can, plus maybe some insight on why they aren't being offered in the normal way right now.

Good to hear! Do let us know once you find out. Thanks for the help :)