PCOM - GA Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gator96

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got accepted to PCOM - GA. Anybody else heading to Atlanta with me in August?

Members don't see this ad.

'bout time the c/o 2011 started a thread.

I'm in the c/o 2009 at GA-PCOM as are a bunch of others who are on SDN frequently - feel free to ask us questions on this thread or the 2009 thread. I believe the 2010 thread is still alive somewhere in the bowels of SDN.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be there in August! Got my letter the day after Thanksgiving!!!

Just got accepted last week!! See you all in August!

I will be in Atlanta in August also!

Hi guys and congrats!! I got accepted on the 19th of December, 6 days after my interview. The way they grilled me I thought I would not be getting in!! See you all in August!!:thumbup:

Where is everyone else that is going to PCOM-GA? Somewhat quiet?

I have an interview at PCOM-GA in a couple weeks. Do you have any advice for me or if there's already a thread on this, can you point me in the right direction? Thanks!

When were you complete? Doesn't seem to be much info about pcom-ga..somewhat quiet..I wanted more info as well.

I have an interview at PCOM-GA in a couple weeks. Do you have any advice for me or if there's already a thread on this, can you point me in the right direction? Thanks!

On the main studentdoctor webpage, there is a tab that says interviews. Click on medical school feedback-> browse feedback->US Medical Schools->then scroll down to PCOM. There are some interview tips and such there.

Good Luck!
R~

Members don't see this ad :)
'bout time the c/o 2011 started a thread.

I'm in the c/o 2009 at GA-PCOM as are a bunch of others who are on SDN frequently - feel free to ask us questions on this thread or the 2009 thread. I believe the 2010 thread is still alive somewhere in the bowels of SDN.

Congrats to all! I ditto Sam's offer. In fact, if you have private Q's you can send me a message and I will get back to you. :luck: Best of luck. -B

Congrats to all! I ditto Sam's offer. In fact, if you have private Q's you can send me a message and I will get back to you. :luck: Best of luck. -B

Great, b/c I have a few questions:) Yesterday I received my 'getting started' book from PCOM-GA, and it had some very useful information in it, especially about housing. I was wondering, did anyone know of or have a list of private landlords that students can rent from? I am also looking at apartments. However, some of the horror stories I have read on apartment ratings.com have me a little concerned...peoples' cars getting broken into, etc. I am looking at living alone with my Chi at the moment..living with 3 dirty roommates at Emory is keeping me from wanting roommates ever again:thumbup:

Thanks
R~

living with 3 dirty roommates at Emory

Hi! I'm at Emory too and got accepted to PCOM in December..I think I'm def heading there this fall. Fortunately for me I love my roommates, it is going to be tough leaving them. If you ever want to head over and check out housing together I am game. Shoot me an email sometime, I know one other Emory person who will probably be at PCOM too this fall. ([email protected])

As for everybody else...congrats on getting in! I look forward to meeting you in the fall. I am hoping to buy a townhouse/condo over there and am looking for a roomie. I will prob have my cat there, she's eleven, fluffy and sweet. Let me know if you are interested.

Hey Ya'll

I also am accepted into PCOM Georgia. However, I have not received any book about housing. Should I be worried?? How old is everyone and where are you from??

I'm in the class of 2010 at GA-PCOM. I am not sure if this information is in your packet, but you will have to complete Medical Terminology: A Short Course 4th ed. by Davi-Ellen Chabner ISBN 1-4160-0165-4. It isn't hard just time consuming and if you have some free time between now and then you might want to get it done.

Thanks for the tip:thumbup:
R~

Hey Ya'll

I also am accepted into PCOM Georgia. However, I have not received any book about housing. Should I be worried?? How old is everyone and where are you from??

I don't know if you should be worried, but I think you will probably get it a few weeks after they rec. your deposit. It also has information in it about your log on ID, etc. for the PCOM website, etc.

As for me I am 23/F and my home town is great ol' Alabama:sleep: :laugh:

R~

Hello everyone,

I'll be interviewing at GA-PCOM in couple of weeks...Anyone have any advice for me--as far as what to expect and what to perpare for?? I've already checked out the interview feedback forum, but it's my 1st choice school---so I'm super nervous!!!

THANKS in advance!!

P.S--Does anyone know how many spots are still open for 2011 class??

Good Luck! I found the stuff posted on the interview section really helpful. Seriously though don't worry! Everyone is really really super nice, they want you to interview well. Depending on how far away your interview is you may want to get in touch with Barry Doublestein at the Osteopathic Institute of the South (he's the president). He worked a lot with getting the school going and I believe he sits on the admissions board. He is really great and loves hearing from students genuinely interested in the school, he will go into all the ins and outs of it. I got in touch with him fairly randomly over the summer and he talked with me on the phone and invited me to his office to basically chat about the school for over two hours. After meeting him the interview itself seems much less imposing and it looks good that you talked to him and thus genuinely know what the school is all about.

Barry Doublestein
(770) 908-3200 -office
2037 Grayson Highway
Grayson, GA 30017
[email protected]

Hey guys,

I'm in GA-PCOm c/o 2009 and I agree with the above post - if you can, talk to Barry Doublestein from OIS - he's a really helpful guy as is his staff. He's also the guy in charge of our rotation scheduling and sites along with our Director of Clinical Educ (Dr. Craver), and my class (2nd year students) had our rotation lottery and groups set up recently and it went smoothly.

Mr. Doublestein is not a physician, but he has been working with the AOA, GOMA etc. for years and knows the system and people inside and out and has been key in ensuring that GA-PCOM has good rotation sites throughout GA and South.

Of course, I don't know if we'll hit any snags in June when we start rotations, but right now, I have no reason to suspect anything to go awry beside commuting issues and other small details.

thanks guys...I hope it helps!!!

Hey Ya'll

I wouldn't worry about housing too much. There are no dorms to move into on campus, but there are plenty of places to live! There many apartment complexes and houses close to the school. It is pretty easy to find a roommate with another one the students if you would want to. A lot of the students seem to live in 5375 Sugarloaf, Sugar Mill Apartments, and Sterling Riverside Apartments. There are also homes to rent in the area if you would be interested in that. I would just go on some real estate websites and apartments.com to start getting an idea of what you would want. That is what I did. Personally, I ended up with a home and I love the area!!! Well I hope that helps! Good luck with your search! :)

For anyone looking for a place to live next year I have 4 bedroom house about .7 miles from the school. Two of my roomates are doing their 3rd year rotations in Florida next year so I have 2 rooms opening up. I will be a third year next year and Im doing most of my rotations around Atlanta so I will be at my house 10 of the next 12 months. Also, there will be a 2nd year student(Sam) who is also living in the house. The rent will be $300 plus 1/4 the utilities (which averages around $100/month/person). If interested, you can write me an email at [email protected] or give me a call at 770-402-1845.
Brent

I'm from chattanooga tn, anyone else...think i'm goign to scout out some living areas this weeekend (4/14). where are the best areas to live in. I'm looking to be close to the lake.
see ya'll in august, hope it doesnt come too soon though
-brent

I will be there in August too!

Looking forward to my last few months of freedom and then school!

Congrats on everyone's acceptance. I am currently a first year (looking forward to becoming a second year) and live 1 mile from school in a 3 bedroom house, 2400 sq feet (lots of room). Right now I have one roommate who is getting married and moving out so I will have 2 bedrooms available this summer. Rent is $475 plus utilities (about $100 month). The house is completely furnished... all you need is your bedroom furniture. Email me if you are interested [email protected]

got in as well...now for the roomate/book search

any advice on books to buy ahead of time?
any recs on apartments/townhouse neighborhoods?

Do any of you guys like to go kayaking? If we ever have time to breath...I am going to be going up to the mtns....

-brent

I will be there in August too!

Currently trying to decide whether or not to live rent-free about 45 minutes away, or take out a larger loan and live close to campus. Any c/o 2009 or 2010 have opinions?

Looking forward to my last few months of freedom and then school!

If I were you I would choose to live close. My parents live in snellville which is only about 30 min. with avg. traffic(45+ w/traffic), but I chose to live close to the school instead b/c:
1. the time it takes you to drive 1.5 hours you will wish you had back at the end of the day.
2. sometimes the schedule gets messed up, or a prof. cancels and there will be a 3 hour break. In that time I can go home and get a book that I need/eat a snack/ ect. while the guy who lives far away has to stay at school.
3. I didnt want to live with my parents again unless I had to.

But, If your free place(Im assuming its your parents) are willing to do your cooking, ect.. Or if you really get along better with your parents than a roommate,then maybe you should stick with the drive.

Hi everyone,
I will be joinging all of you in August. Looking forward to start putting names and faces together. I am currently looking for a house a to rent with another student and we will probably be looking for a third or fourth to join us.
So, I will be down over the summer scouting the area, etc.
I know the place we get will have to be pet friendly, as I have two adorable (yes, adorable) hamsters and my potential roomie has a dog (fenced yard a must). We are both open to either male or females, but would prefer to not live with folks who smoke.
I would love to find a cookie cutter house near to campus and a grocery store that would allow us to have a study/guest room and possibly convert the formal loving room into a group study area (let your inner nerd out!) :D

If you might be interested in joining us, let me know.
I am really excited at the thought of school starting and getting to meet all of you.

On another note, I know that we have groups available through nucleus, but am thinking of creating a yahoo group for us as well. What do you think?

Take care,
Marcia

I went ahead and formed a yahoo group for us.
Go to yahoo.com and then to groups on the right.
Our group is called GA-PCOM2011, just search for it and join.

Marcia

Finally....I'm in!!! I'll be there in August too. Looking forward to meeting evryone!!!

Hey Class of 2011!!!

Congrats on your recent acceptance into Ga-PCOM!! My name is Dave Domino and i'm part of the Class of 2010. I own a 3-bedroom townhouse in close proximity to campus and will be looking for 2 roommates for the Fall. Each room is $500 plus 1/3 of the utilities (which is much cheaper than renting an apartment alone or with others). It's brand new and is located in a quiet subdivision. It has a washer/dryer, garage for storage, and adequate parking. I am a pretty neat, laidback guy looking to live with people who are pretty neat, but laid back themselves. I am totally open for guys or girls. No dogs or cats (aquatic life is cool!). If interested, PM me, or email ([email protected]), or give me a hollar at (716) 341-8678. Look forward to meeting everyone. I will be happy to help you through your 1st year as well!! I kept all my stuff!

Take care-

Dave Domino
Class of 2010

I finally got accepted today!!!!:D I'm excited to meet everyone! See you in August.

I finally got accepted today!!!!:D I'm excited to meet everyone! See you in August.

Congrats Samkell..I know how much you wanted to go to this school!!!:thumbup:

To the class of 2011 -- congrats on your acceptance.
If anyone is interested in buying texts, I have some extra that you will most likely need for your first year. Long story short, I ended up buying multiple copies of some books and couldn't return them. They are new and still in the box. So, if you are interested, feel free to email me: [email protected]
Thanks!

Phew, finally the wait is over!! My fiancee just got off the waitlist yesterday.

Just wanted to say hi to everyone, i got accepted in early Nov. Can't wait to meet everyone.

Dominic

hey class of 2011! Congrats on your acceptance. My name is Lori, and I will be a second year this fall. Last year when i ordered my books it ended up being a disaster! Long story short, I ended up with extra books that may be of use to the first year class. If anybody is interested is some of these books or if you have any questions/concerns about school, feel free to email me at [email protected]

Have a great summer!!

congradulations to everyone on their acceptance!
for those Emory people, it's good to see more of you here next year...I am in the class of 2010 and graduated from Emory in 2006!

as for apartments...I know it's kind of late and most of you probably already found places to live...but if still looking, there are many apartments that are about 10 min drive from school and most are really nice...don't worry about the horror stories, they are very rare and the area is pretty safe...honestly, there wasn't a day last year when I didn't feel safe where I lived!

I live at Colonial Grand on McGinnis Ferry...if anyone checks it out and is interested in living there, get in touch with me so you can give them my name as referral and we will split the referral fee! it is a really great place to live and only 10 min. from school.

see ya all in August!

Hey guys, I am a new Biomedical student for this upcoming August 2007 class. I am from Fl and am pretty unfamiliar with GA. I was wondering if anyone was looking for a roommate for the next year? I am applying to PCOM's osteopathic school this year while I am in the Biomedical Program so I would love to room with anyone from the D.O or Biomed classes. I am a 25-yr old female...it's just me no pets or anything ( I am allergic to cats). You can email me at [email protected]. Thanks:) See everyone in August!:)

Hey everyone. I'm applying to PCOM GA for the class of 2012 and was wondering if anyone knows what the average MCAT score and GPA are? Also is there a minimum MCAT? Thanks. Hope to be going to your school next year.:)

MCAT average-24
GPA- 3.4

I think this is pretty close.

Hey everyone. I'm applying to PCOM GA for the class of 2012 and was wondering if anyone knows what the average MCAT score and GPA are? Also is there a minimum MCAT? Thanks. Hope to be going to your school next year.:)

Samdwi here, GA-PCOM class of 2009 - which just took boards and started rotations about a month ago.

Nicola is right, MCAT of 24 to 26 and GPA of 3.4 to 3.5 seems our average. Seems to get a little higher with each incoming class.

Don't know our average COMLEX scores yet, but will have an idea in a couple months.

Good luck.

Are you all getting excited? School starts next week!

And remember to read Chapters 1 through 18 and 24 through 28 in Moore's Clinical Anatomy for the Gross Anatomy placement test on the second day of orientation.

I'm just kidding, there is no test