Tufts Vs. BU Poll

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tufts Or BU

• Tufts

Votes: 35 62.5%
  • BU

Votes: 21 37.5%

• Total voters

Dr. Konfetka

Sveta
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I can't make up my mind. PLEASE HELP.
Here are the major pros for me at both schools:
Bu: weekly exams as opposed to block exams, smaller class size
Tufts: newer facilities, better location for commuting, better reputation??

Members don't see this ad.

I have the same decision to make, with a few NY schools to choose from also.

I am going on January 2nd to take a second look at both of these schools.

BU.. smaller class size is key in my opinion.. Tufts is prohibitively large..

Members don't see this ad :)
Tufts has a slightly better location in boston, but BU has a smaller class (smaller student/faculty ratio) which is important... and BU has an awesome gym

does tufts really have a better reputation than BU?

This really amuses me. Last year? Or maybe two years ago this would be as "easy" a decision as the Columbia vs. NYU debate... with Tufts serving as Boston's Columbia (and that debate isn't even so one-sided now anymore). EVERYONE considered BU the loser backup school and now it's at the top of everyone's list... including mine. Amazing how much impressions change on this board in just a short amount of time...

So BU right now is as good as Tufts right? Because I know ppl who applied 2 yrs ago and couldn't get into Tufts but got into BU. And while at BU the students I talked to chose BU b/c it was either the first or only school they got into, making it seem as if BU wasn't really their first choice. When I was at Tufts, the students were saying how they got into both BU and Tufts and chose Tufts and are very happy with their decision.

As reguard to the larger class size at Tufts, does anyone know if they make up for it by having more faculty?

So BU right now is as good as Tufts right? Because I know ppl who applied 2 yrs ago and couldn't get into Tufts but got into BU. And while at BU the students I talked to chose BU b/c it was either the first or only school they got into, making it seem as if BU wasn't really their first choice. When I was at Tufts, the students were saying how they got into both BU and Tufts and chose Tufts and are very happy with their decision.

As reguard to the larger class size at Tufts, does anyone know if they make up for it by having more faculty?

absolutely true that Tufts has a huge class, but people seem to do just fine. There would never be enough faculty to serve each and every student well, but things work out fine at the end. Some of the faculty would take time out of their schedule to help out students after hours. I never applied to BU, but many people in my class got into BU, but chose Tufts over it (they said the facility at Tufts is much better). Again, I didnt' apply to BU or never visited the school either. With weekly exams, you're expected to be in books almost everyday. With exam blocks, we study hardcore for no more than 2 weeks before the block. After exam block, its party time till next one gets closer.
Good luck with your decision...

This reminds me of the time when I visited Nova, and while I was there the entire time the students and faculty would say how much better they are than UF. Its funny how Nova has to constantly remind themselves that they are indeed a good school. When I visited UF, not once did any faculty or students bash Nova, they simply let the game(in this case board scores, and passing rate, and small class size, and presitge status, students getting into their specialty, etc...) do all the all the talking.

So to all of you who think Tufts is better because...?

All that I see here is bashing of BU, "...its a loser school...", "..weekly exams...", "...does BU have a better reputation..", none of you have a valid argument? Where are the facts???

Check out their grades(GPA, and DATs), research funding, and specialty match rates, and the campus itself.

http://www.nidcr.nih.gov/Funding/Den...utions2005.htm

http://www.nidcr.nih.gov/Funding/Den...utions2006.htm

Please, have fun comparing BUs reseach funding versus Tufts.

This reminds me of the time when I visited Nova, and while I was there the entire time the students and faculty would say how much better they are than UF. Its funny how Nova has to constantly remind themselves that they are indeed a good school. When I visited UF, not once did any faculty or students bash Nova, they simply let the game(in this case board scores, and passing rate, and small class size, and presitge status, students getting into their specialty, etc...) do all the all the talking.

So to all of you who think Tufts is better because...?

All that I see here is bashing of BU, "...its a loser school...", "..weekly exams...", "...does BU have a better reputation..", none of you have a valid argument? Where are the facts???

Check out their grades(GPA, and DATs), research funding, and specialty match rates, and the campus itself.

http://www.nidcr.nih.gov/Funding/Den...utions2005.htm

http://www.nidcr.nih.gov/Funding/Den...utions2006.htm

Please, have fun comparing BUs reseach funding versus Tufts.

ur links dont work

How about Harvard vs. Tufts vs. BU?

In terms of the whole funding thing, I know BU is getting a lot of funding b/c of the bioterrorism thing. Which I'm not sure is a good or bad thing. So the funding issue doesn't sell me over. But it is wierd that in predent.com Tufts' class stats are lower than Bu's

predents.com has a sample size of like 200-something applicants each for tufts and bu... but in reality each of them gets closer to 4000 applicants per cycle, so it is not representative of the actual applicant pool

Forget all the GPA/DAT stuff and the funding. Who cares if the rest of the class is smarter than you? It doesn't make a difference to your education. Board scores are a better indication of how well a school prepares you. Funding also doesn't make a lick of difference since most people don't go into research anyways.

Pick a school where you can see yourself spending the next four years of your life. Which location is better? Tution? Do you want to participate in BU's APEX program? Block exams vs weekly exams? Going to a school in a location that would make you happier is much more important than going to a school in the ghetto that has a class with a 4.0 GPA avg. Both schools are great schools. Just find out what is important to you and determine which school can meet YOUR needs. Don't let any of us influence your decision. :)

Tough choice. Just to add a few of my observations that haven't been mentioned yet.

Tufts - class has been described to me as very "jappy." Competetive peer environment, and very cliquey.

BU - Friendly class. Had outstanding pre-clinic labs when I visited. I've heard that the 'APEX' thing is actually a ploy to get students out of the facilities, so the school can train international students and get more $$$.

I didn't vote in this poll, but I'd choose BU.

Forget all the GPA/DAT stuff and the funding. Who cares if the rest of the class is smarter than you? It doesn't make a difference to your education. ...Funding also doesn't make a lick of difference since most people don't go into research anyways...

Really?:eek:

So did you consider attending Meharry, or Howard with low DAT and GPA averages?
DAT are indicators of how well an applicant will perform on their NBDE.
Didn't you work your ass off in undergrad to be in a dental school that does take pride in accepting the best candidates? On the other hand, do you not care a long as you got in, and pride and prestige is superfluous?

http://www.ada.org/prof/ed/testing/dat/dat_validitystudy.pdf

Funding is not important if you do not want to research because you do not want to specialize, however, I do, and doing research is important to improve your application to enter a specialty program.

the two schools are extremely comparable (in terms of reputation), but i think the smaller class size at BU puts BU students at an advantage. I think you should go where you think you would be happier, but don't you feel any allegiance to BU since you went there for undergrad?!! BU is awesome!

the two schools are extremely comparable (in terms of reputation), but i think the smaller class size at BU puts BU students at an advantage. I think you should go where you think you would be happier, but don't you feel any allegiance to BU since you went there for undergrad?!! BU is awesome!

Going to BU undergrad made me feel at home when I went to my interview since it was a familiar place w/familiar faces. However I also know the negatives of BU which I dont like. I feel that the facutly don;t really care about the students. And the gym and faciliities are located far away...the shuttle bus comes every half hour and is usually packed in the morning and after classes. It's those little things that annoy you.

Flip a coin.

Im happy at BU.

I'd be equally happy at Tufts.

As far as BU is concerned...you get worked pretty hard. As soon as you finish one thing...you start preparing for something else. There is always work that needs to be done and you never feel caught up...until your last final of the semester when you can finally exhale.