May 31 MCAT too late if want to apply to schools early?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

paki20

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I take the MCAT for the first time on May 31, will that be too late if I want to apply to schools ASAP? What is the latest testing date you guys recommend if I want to submit the AAMCAs as early as possible? How long does it take usually for scores to be reported on this CBT version?

Thanks for any help! Appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

If I take the MCAT for the first time on May 31, will that be too late if I want to apply to schools ASAP? What is the latest testing date you guys recommend if I want to submit the AAMCAs as early as possible? How long does it take usually for scores to be reported on this CBT version?

Thanks for any help! Appreciate it.

it's fine...if you use the time while waiting for your score for preparing your apps, gathering LORs and writing ps. By the time they will release your score on June30th AACOMAS or AMCAS will be mailing your stuff in and you will be compleated with your primaries.
You can also start preparing secondaries (some schools have them available online) to speed up the process.
Just organize yourself and you may be interviewing as early as september.
Good luck

http://www.aamc.org/students/mcat/datesdeadlines.pdf

If you take the May 31 mcats, you will get your score by June 30. That's still early in the application season. If you still afraid, then fill out the AMCAS, and on June 30, enter MCAT scores and submit.

You'll be fine. I know people who didn't submit as late as September.

Thanks for the replies. Should I just go ahead and take the May 16 MCAT so I can submit my primary on June 15? Or take the 2 extra weeks to study after my finals and get my results on June 30? Will it make a difference in terms of applying early to schools? Thanks again!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies. Should I just go ahead and take the May 16 MCAT so I can submit my primary on June 15? Or take the 2 extra weeks to study after my finals and get my results on June 30? Will it make a difference in terms of applying early to schools? Thanks again!

10 business days is no difference if you ask me.
But 14 more days to study full time may be good for your score.
But do what you feel best suits you.
Good luck

You'll be fine if you take the May 31st MCAT. Getting your complete status for AMCAS in early July is still considered early considering that secondaries don't start coming in until shortly before or shortly after 4th of July. Its only when you wait til like September and October and November when interview season is in full gear that you should start interviewing. Also, remember that you can send the rest of your application in without the MCAT score and the AAMC will automatically update it when scores come, but at that stage if it is June or July you can wait cuz the few day difference won't make a big difference unless you wait til like mid or late fall.

what about schools that are on a rolling basis? won't the may mcat be a little late??

Why would it be late? The old MCAT took 60 days to grade, and was offered around April 20/21st. That means you won't get your scores back until June. AMCAS doesn't even become available in June anyway, and since the CB-MCAT takes 30 days to grade, it would be similar as taking the old paper-based on MCAT in April.

When people talk about late, and this includes schools on rolling admissions, is like applying in after mid-or late-July.

I honestly think that you will be okay...by the time your application gets processed, it will be the end of June anyhow. For example, in Texas, I believe that TMDSAS begins sending out your apps to the schools at the beginning/middle of June.

I am currently signed up for the June 15th test. I wanted to know if i can send out my amcas/transcripts/LOR's and everything before getting my mcat result back? I know it takes time for the AMCAS to be verified...can this be done in the time period I am waiting for my score?

I am currently signed up for the June 15th test. I wanted to know if i can send out my amcas/transcripts/LOR's and everything before getting my mcat result back? I know it takes time for the AMCAS to be verified...can this be done in the time period I am waiting for my score?

You should DEFINITELY send out your transcripts way way way way way ahead of time. Emphasis on the "way."

You might not want to submit your AMCAs before getting your score because if it turns out to be a less desirable number, you will have already used that money (which is about 600 bucks for 15 schools) and you don't get a refund. You can check the option that states you plan to retake but why not just use that extra time to perfect the essay?

You should not send LORs before getting secondaries. Most schools frown on that.