Does re-applying make you a bad candidate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

racerwoman

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Say I applied late and didnt get in anywhere, if I wanted to re-apply, will adcoms be like--she's the loser that applied last year, we're not going to look at her app again? Or do you have an equal chance of getting in the second time?

Thanks.

RW

Members don't see this ad.

Say I applied late and didnt get in anywhere, if I wanted to re-apply, will adcoms be like--she's the loser that applied last year, we're not going to look at her app again? Or do you have an equal chance of getting in the second time?

Thanks.

RW

Lots of reapplicants do fine, but generally schools will expect you to show substantial improvement since the last time you applied. Turning around and applying again with basically the same app generally doesn't help your cause. Some schools are harder on reapplicants than others. There's a reapplicant board where you can find others similarly situated.

This is something I don't understand. If you applied late, you probably just ended up at the end of the stack of applicants that they didn't even bother to look at. So applying early next year with the same application should work as long as you are a competitive applicant.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nope. I applied late in 2004 and didn't get in. I decided to take a year off in-between cycles just because I didn't think I could substantially improve my app in the 4 or so months between cycles, and overall, I'm happy that I did so. I don't think being a re-applicant has hurt me at all.

:luck: to you.

As a lighthearted reply, I'd like to say...do you watch American Idol? Sometimes, a previous year's contestant who made it into the later rounds will come back and audition, and not make it past the auditioning rounds.

I'm not saying that the same is true of med school (I am a reapplicant), but it's an interesting little analogy. :)

I can speak for my experience. Last application cycle (2005-6), I applied very late (a week before the AMCAS deadline). I was interviewed at two places and after getting on those waitlists, I decided to reapply the next year (2006-7).

My re-application was the same in substance (same MCAT, same GPA, same ECs, and only one new LOR--I even used my same PS), but I rewrote a lot of my little AMCAS activity blurbs, proofread my application better, and applied hella-early. Of the schools I applied the second time around, six were reapplications and fourteen were new. I got a total of ten interviews (one from a school I applied at the year before but did not interview me).

At every interview I was asked if I had applied the year before and why I thought I did not get accepted. I was honest and I've gotten three acceptances and a couple waitlists so far.

So reapplying is not the kiss of death. I think so much depends on where you apply. Think about it: I applied to 20 schools this year and only ten interviewed me. If I had only applied to those ten schools that I have not had an interview at, I would be saying that reapplication is impossible. And if I had only applied to the ten schools where I got interviews, I would be thinking that my application is God's gift.

Maybe in your first application cycle you just pick the wrong schools (i.e. your background just doesn't resonate with that school's administration), or maybe you submitted your application too late, had some spelling errors, wrote a crappy PS, had only so-so letters. Any of those things could affect your application significantly if you didn't go to Harvard, pull down a 35+, and finish undergrad with a 3.98.

But if you do reapply, you might as well try to spruce up your application in the meantime. It can't hurt to be overqualified for medical school.

For what it's worth.

This is something I don't understand. If you applied late, you probably just ended up at the end of the stack of applicants that they didn't even bother to look at. So applying early next year with the same application should work as long as you are a competitive applicant.

Schools can ask what you have done since the last cycle -- they needn't have recall on the specific app. And if you didn't get in previously, many places assume there was a reason. It is not an insurmountable hurdle, but many would agree it is a hurdle.

What if you do get in, but it's a school that you didn't withdraw from for whatever reason, but feel that you could do better (and by better I mean a school that you feel would be a better fit for you) the next round? Is reapplying with an acceptance a no-no?

What if you do get in, but it's a school that you didn't withdraw from for whatever reason, but feel that you could do better (and by better I mean a school that you feel would be a better fit for you) the next round? Is reapplying with an acceptance a no-no?

That is a huge no-no to turn down an actual acceptance and apply the next year, unless you have a legitimate reason (I can't think of any at this moment). You need to immediately withdraw from any school that you are sure you don't want to goto lest you get accepted and then want to reapply. When you reapply, many schools will blacklist you for turning down that acceptance.

I can speak for my experience. Last application cycle (2005-6), I applied very late (a week before the AMCAS deadline). I was interviewed at two places and after getting on those waitlists, I decided to reapply the next year (2006-7).

My re-application was the same in substance (same MCAT, same GPA, same ECs, and only one new LOR--I even used my same PS), but I rewrote a lot of my little AMCAS activity blurbs, proofread my application better, and applied hella-early. Of the schools I applied the second time around, six were reapplications and fourteen were new. I got a total of ten interviews (one from a school I applied at the year before but did not interview me).

At every interview I was asked if I had applied the year before and why I thought I did not get accepted. I was honest and I've gotten three acceptances and a couple waitlists so far.

So reapplying is not the kiss of death. I think so much depends on where you apply. Think about it: I applied to 20 schools this year and only ten interviewed me. If I had only applied to those ten schools that I have not had an interview at, I would be saying that reapplication is impossible. And if I had only applied to the ten schools where I got interviews, I would be thinking that my application is God's gift.

Maybe in your first application cycle you just pick the wrong schools (i.e. your background just doesn't resonate with that school's administration), or maybe you submitted your application too late, had some spelling errors, wrote a crappy PS, had only so-so letters. Any of those things could affect your application significantly if you didn't go to Harvard, pull down a 35+, and finish undergrad with a 3.98.

But if you do reapply, you might as well try to spruce up your application in the meantime. It can't hurt to be overqualified for medical school.

For what it's worth.

This is great. Thanks. I'm wondering about your stats, though. I have a 3.3GPA, 29R MCAT, NIH research experience, tons of ECs, 100+ volunteer hours at a hospital. So...you think the schools you applied to the first time around really didn't like that you were re-applying to them? I've been rejected by 2 schools, waitlisted at 1, and am waiting for an interview from another. I realistically have two other schools that I'm hoping to get interviews from but feel that I applied way too late. My AMCAS went in in Sept but I didnt get all of my secondaries out until late Dec bc of some LOR issues (I hate undergrad profs, man). Anyway, thanks for the advice.

RW

This is great. Thanks. I'm wondering about your stats, though. I have a 3.3GPA, 29R MCAT, NIH research experience, tons of ECs, 100+ volunteer hours at a hospital. So...you think the schools you applied to the first time around really didn't like that you were re-applying to them? I've been rejected by 2 schools, waitlisted at 1, and am waiting for an interview from another. I realistically have two other schools that I'm hoping to get interviews from but feel that I applied way too late. My AMCAS went in in Sept but I didnt get all of my secondaries out until late Dec bc of some LOR issues (I hate undergrad profs, man). Anyway, thanks for the advice.

RW

Dude, that sucks. That was basically what happened to me first time around too.

It's such a shame. :thumbdown: :(

some schools re-applying is a big no-no and they state it on their website. For most though it's ok.

Regarding the possibility of being blacklisted for turning down an acceptance in favor of reapplying the following year, I have been in PM contact with LizzyM, who is an adcom member. She gave me permission to cut-and-paste her answer to my question into this thread and the other threads where this topic is being discussed. Here is what she had to say.

LizzyM said:
Hi,
Go ahead & post this on the pre-allo forum....

I haven't any insider information on this topic. From where I am (an adcom member who reads applications and interviews applicants), I wouldn't know that someone had turned down an offer the year before unless someone mentioned it in an essay or LOR (that would be nuts but I wouldn't rule it out).

If there were information available indicating that someone had turned down an offer in order to apply the following year, then the applicant would have to make a good case for having reapplied as such action calls into question one's desire to attend medical school.LizzyM

This is only one adcom's report of what happens at one school, not necessarily the norm. It is also not necessarily the whole story, since the information may be available to other people at different points in the admissions process, of course. But she, at least, is not privy to knowledge about previous acceptances being turned down when reading applications or interviewing a candidate.

I am pursuing other adcoms and will post information as I get it. I've also posted this question in the ADCOMS: SEMI-SOLICITED ADVICE thread that is stickied at the top of the pre-allo page. Look there for an answer from Adcom2 at some point in the next week.

That is a huge no-no to turn down an actual acceptance and apply the next year, unless you have a legitimate reason (I can't think of any at this moment). You need to immediately withdraw from any school that you are sure you don't want to goto lest you get accepted and then want to reapply. When you reapply, many schools will blacklist you for turning down that acceptance.

I don't know where you get this stuff. Do you have any evidence of blacklisting for declining an acceptance the year before? It bothers me when people pass off their opinions as fact.

That said, I think if you don't want to go to a school and you realize this after the interview, you should withdraw immediately. There is no reason to risk drawing the ire of adcoms.

But as LizzyM said, at her school they do not have such information and therefore it would not come into effect. That is also my experience. But there could be schools out there who do blacklist: but please, a little evidence before you spout your uniformed opinion. At least a citation or a reference to personal experience (not experiences you've 'heard about,' but ones you've actually gone through).

I don't know where you get this stuff. Do you have any evidence of blacklisting for declining an acceptance the year before? It bothers me when people pass off their opinions as fact.

That said, I think if you don't want to go to a school and you realize this after the interview, you should withdraw immediately. There is no reason to risk drawing the ire of adcoms.

But as LizzyM said, at her school they do not have such information and therefore it would not come into effect. That is also my experience. But there could be schools out there who do blacklist: but please, a little evidence before you spout your uniformed opinion. At least a citation or a reference to personal experience (not experiences you've 'heard about,' but ones you've actually gone through).

It's just my opinion, gathered from what other people have said on SDN. I didn't say it was gospel, that 9 out of 10 adcoms said that, or anything official. If I were on an adcom and I knew somebody was just jerking around medical schools, interviewing, getting accepted, then dumping everyone and reapplying, I'd consider them arrogant and stupid for doing such a thing. Like Lizzy, I'd question their desire to goto medical school. They don't realize that unless you are that stellar candidate, it can be a real crap shoot to get into medical school. I've heard some anecdotal evidence about people not getting into trouble, and everyone is taking that as gospel. Like most things, it's all opinion here...even if it's from a single adcom.

Not that I wanted to take time off between undergrad and med school, but taking a year before re-applying was probably for the best. I was able to enjoy some time off while getting some great experience and really improving the aspects of my application that needed it. I think you have a big advantage the second time just because you've been through the process before and know what not to do.

Best of luck!

Contact the schools that you didn't get into and ask for their honest advice on how you could improve your chances for the next round. Many schools are happy to share this information with you, and it might help to pinpoint specific areas of your application that you could improve. Contact the admissions office and ask who you should speak to regarding this issue, then contact that person directly. If you approach it in the sense of honestly seeking constructive criticism, you'll probably get some good insight into how to make yourself a stronger candidate.

Good luck to you! :luck:

Is there any data on the number of reapplicants that get accepted to each school? For example, how many reapplicants are accepted to School X vs Y or general trend...

Regarding the question of turning down an acceptance and reapplying the following year, here are some comments from another adcom--REL. Read the first quote, but be sure to note that I followed up with a request for clarification, which is provided in the second quote.

REL said:
Now to the question that you ask. To decline an acceptance to reenter the pool the following year. If you do this, be ready to answer why. It is risky unless you are a stronger applicant, but it isnt a black-ball by any means. Med schools will talk to other med schools to find out why, so the applicant should be ready to explain their rationale. Each year med schools get to see where their applicants have been accepted sometime in early March so it wont be a secret. With MCAT scores spiking upward, stronger GPA's, and applicants who have done well to represent their motivations for medicine--as well as an expanding application pool (ours has increased 50% in only two years!!)--an acceptance this year may not mean one next year. Competition is getting very stiff.

I then asked for clarification as follows.

I know that schools will find out this year which other schools have accepted you this year, but will they know about acceptances from past years? Will schools next year still know about turned-down acceptances from this year?

Here is REL's answer.

REL said:
The answer is "probably yes." I know we keep track of everyone who applied and where they were accepted in past years and I dont believe that we are very unique. We had an applicant last year that we accepted and then declined with no other choices who felt that she just wasnt ready and withdrew. At that time she told me that she wanted to test the waters for more opportunities this year. She didnt reapply to us so I guess that she felt that she simply didnt feel there was a fit. I received a call from a program this year asking about that applicant because she had been accepted there and they knew that she had been accepted here an declined. I will assume two things--the other school kept track like we do, and the applicant hopefully provided this information in her application or possibly in some other way (interview, followup letter). There arent many secrets so it's best to be forthcoming--if an applicant withholds information or works in an unethical manner, that is when schools get leery and are likely to shy away from interviewing or accepting.

This information conflicts with LizzyM's account. We are left uncertain, and thus we should be cautious. Unless you really feel that your application will be significantly better in content, style and/or timing the following year, it seems like too great a risk in my opinion. With increasing numbers of strong candidates applying each year, it may be too much of a risk regardless. In any event, if you decide to turn down an acceptance and try again the following year, be sure to have a good explanation for doing so, just in case it does come up. I suspect that the nature of the school's neighborhood would not be considered a very good reason by many adcoms.

We are still awaiting a response from Adcom2 on his/her stickied thread...

It's just my opinion, gathered from what other people have said on SDN. I didn't say it was gospel, that 9 out of 10 adcoms said that, or anything official. If I were on an adcom and I knew somebody was just jerking around medical schools, interviewing, getting accepted, then dumping everyone and reapplying, I'd consider them arrogant and stupid for doing such a thing. Like Lizzy, I'd question their desire to goto medical school. They don't realize that unless you are that stellar candidate, it can be a real crap shoot to get into medical school. I've heard some anecdotal evidence about people not getting into trouble, and everyone is taking that as gospel. Like most things, it's all opinion here...even if it's from a single adcom.

That is a respectable opinion. The problem is that you do not state it as opinion. Really, that is the main failing of this forum: when people say things like:
When you reapply, many schools will blacklist you for turning down that acceptance.

it doesn't come off as opinion, it comes off as fact. It is not implicit in statements like yours above that they are actually opinions, that what you were really saying is: "I think, if I were on an Adcom, and from the uncorroborated nonsense I've heard others toss around, it might be that you are blacklisted when you reapply after turning down an acceptance."

I didn't find this forum until after I had applied last year and after I had declined my acceptance, and when I read the spurious tales like the one you spun above, it scared the [expletive deleted] out of me. I thought: well, my dream of becoming a doctor is over because of not withdrawing early enough. I even took the GRE because I assumed that my reapplication would meet an ignominious fate. But lo, and behold: the facts of the almighty were simply uninformed opinions, after all. I've learned that lesson since, but many newcomers will take what you say as the gospel truth (when you state it so unequivocally) and make decisions based on that. Perhaps something to consider in your 1400th post.

Still, I agree with your premise that it is not advisable to decline an acceptance. Really, in Pangloss's best of all worlds, you would not apply to schools you didn't want to go to, you wouldn't have circumstances in your life suddenly change on you, and you would never, ever decline an acceptance. But if you have a reasonable explanation, it is not sudden death at some schools at least (although it is entirely possible that other schools will hold it against you).

Withdraw if you can before you get accepted, but you don't have to go to a medical school you will hate if you get accepted before you withdraw. Just make sure you are willing to live with the consequences of your decision.

Reactions: 1 user
Regarding the question of turning down an acceptance and reapplying the following year:

We are left uncertain, and thus we should be cautious. Unless you really feel that your application will be significantly better in content, style and/or timing the following year, it seems like too great a risk in my opinion. With increasing numbers of strong candidates applying each year, it may be too much of a risk regardless. In any event, if you decide to turn down an acceptance and try again the following year, be sure to have a good explanation for doing so, just in case it does come up. I suspect that the nature of the school's neighborhood would not be considered a very good reason by many adcoms.

We are still awaiting a response from Adcom2 on his/her stickied thread...

Thanks Chulito. You're doing some great work getting real information out there for those who have been wondering about this. It's nice to see someone who wants to dig deep, past the inane commentary to something substantial.

Reactions: 1 user