Alternates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tsuki

UTK CVM Class of 2011
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sitting on two waiting lists right now. For those of you who were accepted to multiple schools, could you let us know where you declined a seat?

I guess I'll set this up like the Acceptance thread...

Iowa: Tsuki (email:2/14)
Mississippi: Tsuki (email:2/15)

Members don't see this ad.

Colorado: (snail mail Jan.17)
Massey: (email/snail Feb. 5)

Members don't see this ad :)
Cornell: snail mail Jan 20?

Cornell: snail mail Jan 20?

Iowa: Apple82 (email: 2/14)

I'm sitting on two waiting lists right now. For those of you who were accepted to multiple schools, could you let us know where you declined a seat?

I guess I'll set this up like the Acceptance thread...

Tsuki, are we posting the schools where we declined a seat or the schools where we are waitlisted?

I guess the waitlisted people could list the schools they're waiting on..and you lucky folks with acceptances to spare can just say where you've declined so the rest of us can start hoping we'll get a call...

sonofdarwin, didn't you say you got into Massey??

Yes, maybe I misunderstood what was going on here. I thought we were listing schools that we were accepted to but declined the acceptance so people who were waitlisted know that there are seats opening up? Atleast that's what I got from the OP.

So yeah, I got into Massey and Edinburgh. Declined Massey already and will likely decline Edinburgh, but I'll post that next week so I don't count my chickens before they hatch ;)

I guess the waitlisted people could list the schools they're waiting on..and you lucky folks with acceptances to spare can just say where you've declined so the rest of us can start hoping we'll get a call...

Colorado DVM/PhD - if one of the four who were offered happen to see this!

I'm a WICHE alternate at Colorado and WSU.

Just an out of state alternate at Colorado only.

Yes, maybe I misunderstood what was going on here. I thought we were listing schools that we were accepted to but declined the acceptance so people who were waitlisted know that there are seats opening up? Atleast that's what I got from the OP.

It really doesnt matter how we do this. I was reading last year's waitlist thread and there was so much info that I figured we could use a similar thread this year.

I know its early but this waitlist business isn't fun. Especially when schools refuse to tell you what number you are on the list. Are they really afraid that if you find out you're number 25 you'll go out and try to kill the 24 people ahead of you? Or better yet, just do away with 25 people who were accepted?

I'm sure they have a good reason for witholding this information. I'm just pouting :(

I am a WICHE alternate for CSU and WSU as well..... oh how i love the waiting game!:rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
i, too, am on CSU's alternate list.

alternate at cornell... a list rumored to never move...

Do you mind if I ask how you found out you were on the waitlist, especially at WSU?
Thanks

I got a letter a few weeks ago that cordially informed me of my alternate status. the only thing is, i don't know how many alternates there are, and how high/low i am on the list. aaaannnndddd, they won't tell me!

Hey guys, is anyone else on the waitlist for Glasgow? And is anyone turning down a spot at Glasgow? It's my first choice, and the wait is KillLLLinGg me!
:(

luck to all the waitlisters!!! :luck:

I just declined my offer of acceptance at NC State today (I am out of state)... I hope on of you gets my spot.:)

U of I alternate

The letter said basically "Policy precludes us from revealing your actual position on the waitlist. However, due to your relative position on the list, it is unlikely you will be offered a position in the class of 2011."

craptastic. :(

U of I alternate

The letter said basically "Policy precludes us from revealing your actual position on the waitlist. However, due to your relative position on the list, it is unlikely you will be offered a position in the class of 2011."

Sorry NordiCat. It sucks, but at least you have a general idea of where you stand. I'll be crossing my fingers for you.

I just talked to Colorado and they will tell you your number on the alternate list! They offer into the low one hundreds and said I should get in sometime by late spring! Crossing my fingers! Does anyone who has already visited Colorado know what airport to fly into? Also does anyone know if we can establish residency while in veterinary school?

I just talked to Colorado and they will tell you your number on the alternate list! They offer into the low one hundreds and said I should get in sometime by late spring! Crossing my fingers! Does anyone who has already visited Colorado know what airport to fly into? Also does anyone know if we can establish residency while in veterinary school?

fly into denver - take the shamrock shuttle (or rent a car) to fort collins ~65 miles north. i don't think you can establish residency (something an interviewer told me, but could be wrong). best of luck!! the town is beautiful and the people very friendly!

Colorado doesn't let you establish residency after you start vet school. They consider your acceptance to be a contract agreeing to out-of-state tuition for all 4 yrs. This policy is different for the other colleges at CSU. I spoke with the admissions earlier about this as some other schools let you establish residency after you've started school (i.e. Illinois, Missouri, Washington, etc.) but Colorado did not make any acceptions on this rule :(.

Hi horsybaby,

I am also on CSU alternate list...however, I called the school trying to find out where I'm standing and they gave me this lady's email...I sent her 2 emails and no response....Would you mind telling me what number you called and who you talked to?
Thanks & good luck!

Hey Aninha,
My first e-mail didn't get there either. I finally called and told the person who answered the phone that I had e-mailed without a response. She said that Sherry Stewart is really good about answering her e-mails quickly. So I e-mailed again apologizing for bugging her and she responded immediately. She said they took 103 last year and around 100 the previous 2 years- so I am tentatively optimistic. Good Luck to you and keep me posted!
Here is the info I have.
Sherry Stewart, MS, DVM
Assistant Dean for Admissions and Student Affairs
College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, CO 80523
PH: (970) 491-7054
[email protected]

Thanks a lot Horsybaby!!

U of I alternate

I'm turning down an offer (out of state) at U of I, i hope you get a spot :)

alternate at cornell... a list rumored to never move...
texlaevis, a friend of mine was waitlisted at Cornell and got in. Turns out he was third on the waitlist and the previous two applicants deferred. It was a few years ago now but there is still hope!

Out-of-state alternate at VA-MD.

May gain residency and reapply.. we'll see. I'm very interested now since at the interview they seemed very enthusiastic about their connections at the Baltimore Aquarium <-- <3

U of I alternate

Love that word. I think I may need that.... :oops:

Ohio State University Alternate. :( Miracles can happen, right?

Ohio State University Alternate. :( Miracles can happen, right?
I recently got a call from UPenn that I am in there. I am also accepted at Ohio and once I get the letter from UPenn I will decline my spot at OSU--I am interested in behavior and ohio does'nt do behavior.
Do you know what number you are on the list? If they tell you?

Good luck.

bump....

and I've been added to yet another waitlist for a total of 3 (Mississippi, Washington, Iowa).

out-of-state alternate at Tufts and Wisconsin, in (in-state) at Illinois. If I get into either of the others, my IL spot will open up!

Alternate at Washington and Iowa
WICHE alternate at Washington and CSU
:scared:

as soon as the official letter comes from csu, i'll turn in my decline the offer letter to washington. good luck to everyone waiting...

on the waiting list for penn, does anyone know how likely it is to get in off that list? im out of state.

on the waiting list for penn, does anyone know how likely it is to get in off that list? im out of state.

I have no idea how likely it is to get off that list. However I will be declining Penn--you don't get a card to send them so it seems that they just wait to not recieve your deposit. I am also out of state. One of the vets I worked with got into penn off the waitlist a few weeks before classes started. So I wouldn't give up hope just yet!

Good luck

Georgia for DE students

OK State...for out-of-state, I think, the way the letter was worded, although DE is supposed to have a contract with them...

Either way... Georgia and OK State

I am an alternate @ 5 great schools - Penn, Western, Oklahoma, Massey & Glasgow. I hope that one of them makes room for me before school starts. It would be nice to post on "accepted." I am out of state for all.

Alternate at UF again (was alternate for interviews). I feel like the waiting never ends!

Alternate at University of Missouri (in state)

Alternate at UTK

Kansas: snail mail. Has anyone moved off of this list yet?

Is this thread for people to post schools they've declined, or where they're waitlisted, or both?

I'm an alternate at ISU, (and crossing my finger really really hard!!!)

Is this thread for people to post schools they've declined, or where they're waitlisted, or both?

I'm an alternate at ISU, (and crossing my finger really really hard!!!)

This is just a waitlist thread. There's another thread for people to post the schools they are declining.

Alternate at Iowa, Illinois, Wisconsin, Washington State, and Purdue

(Accepted at Glasgow but hoping for a state school)