Mayo College of Medicine Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

braluk

SDN Surgerynator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For students who have been accepted to Mayo's Class of 2011. Feel Free to post here.

Members don't see this ad.

I'll be starting at Mayo in July and was hoping to find those brave souls who will be suffering through four Rochester winters with me! Please let me know if you've been accepted to the 2011 class.

Hey everyone,

Got that acceptance around Christmas. Looking forward to meeting you guys!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, hello! Just us 4?:)

I dunno, I never check the allo class threads. I don't consider myself worthy until I'm truly an MS:p

Oh I'm thrilled to get to know you guys! Tell me about yourselves! I'm a senior at the University of Florida and am going up to Mayo next week to visit again. My family is from Jacksonville.

Do you all know where you are living next year yet or when you'll be going up to Rochester? I suppose I'll be moving up maybe a week before class. Hopefully, one of you will be a bit more cold-weather competent than I and can help me out when winter comes!

Melanie

WHen did you interview Melanie?

In September, but it ws still pretty chilly then

Senior Bioengineering major at UC Berkeley here, originally hailing from NorCal as well. Was born in Canada and am pretty used to the weather situation (Rochester is mild compared to Ontario).

No idea if/when I'm going back up to visit, but I have no doubt that Mayo is going to be awesome. Any hikers/karate/cartoonists/mario kart fans in the house?:p

-Charles

Whos up for a facebook group?? haha

18" of snow over the weekend in Rochester... can't wait to go back next week.

Also, anyone find it interesting that the thread title is incorrect? It's Mayo Medical School, a totally different entity from the Mayo Clinic College of Medicine or the Mayo Graduate School of Medicine.

Hey Charles! I'm glad you have some cold-weather experience. Considering what NovemberWhiskey said about the snow and all that white stuff I've been seeing in Minnesota on the news, I think some of us are going to need a little help adjusting! Oh, and I'll take you on in MarioKart any day, as long as its old school like SuperNintendo or N64. My big brother taught me well ;)

Rach, I'm on facebook if you we want to start a group. I know it's so clichéd, but I feel like it's way more user-friendly then this site (even though I just joined studentdoctor.net a couple days ago). Let me know if you want to!

NovemberWhiskey, are you a first year? I've spoken with Chris in the first year class and he loves it up at MMS! I'll be up there next week to visit.

Melanie

Members don't see this ad :)
Yay!! I'm so glad I found this! I'll be with you all for the next four years at Mayo (and suffering through the winters... I'm from KY so I'm not used to cold)!

I think I'm going to be in Rochester part of next week as well. It's my spring break and I'm going to look at a condo...

I'll be in Rochester next week as well...

I think I'm going to be in Rochester part of next week as well. It's my spring break and I'm going to look at a condo...

Wildcat...I know you said you are from KY, but where do you go to school now (I ask b/c I am a wildcat)?

It is my Spring Break, and those of you going to Rochester, we should pick a night and meet up! I'll be there Sunday night through Friday morning. Hopefully, I'll be finding a place to live and going to classes and such. What days will you all be there? And what do you have planned? I have heard of this place called Wistle-Binkey's (sp?) that the med students like to go to. No idea where it is, but we could go break it into class of 2011! ;) Or just meet up for coffee and tea (anything warm!). Let me know!

Hi Melanie,

I'm actually from Rochester, so I know Whistle Binkies, and I'll be in Rochester Friday through Monday. I would love to hear about where you are looking for a place, and if you have any luck. Where did you find places to look at (online?)? Feel free to pm me

I'll be in Rochester from Weds March 14th until the end of the summer...

I'm also from Rochester originally, so if you have any questions about what parts of town are convenient etc, let me know. There are really nice condo complexes on little fake lakes popping up all over the place... sure beats living in a crappy old house/apartment like anywhere else you'd go to school :)

Edit: Ersatzious, I think Southwest Rochester is the nicest (but I'm biased) though the city is definetly expanding North and West so the far West or North portion might be a decent area as well.

Finally, for some reason the imagery of Rochester on http://local.live.com is extremely high resolution, so if you have an address of somewhere you want to check out, type it in and see.

Hey guys,

I'll be joining you at Mayo. I got the call today and it's beginning to sink in.

I went to Rice University in Houston, graduated January last year. I studied and taught in Asia last year, then travelled around.

I'm looking forward to meeting you all!

Kelsey

Hey guys,

I'll be joining you at Mayo. I got the call today and it's beginning to sink in.

I went to Rice University in Houston, graduated January last year. I studied and taught in Asia last year, then travelled around.

I'm looking forward to meeting you all!

Kelsey

Woohooo! And the list grows...

Join the facebook group! (link above)

And, just in general, everybody should join the facebook group:p Even you non-trads out there can join I think, since facebook opened up to the public:p

I'm a wildcat as in the University of Kentucky where I'm a senior right now.

On the condos... I'm looking at RiverView, Rochester Towers, and maybe Holiday Inn. Basically anything that is close to the school is on my list. If anyone (especially those from Rochester) knows of any good places that I'm missing let me know! I appreciate any tips I can get!

I second that I would love to grab coffee or meet up with anyone who's going to be in Rochester next week. I'll probably be around from Sunday until Wed. or Thurs.

Is anyone else besides wildcat and Stargazer21 going to be in Rochester on Sunday, March 11 and/or Monday, March 12?

Hey I'm a graduating R3 in emergency medicine. If you have any questions about Roch, feel free to PM me. If you are looking to buy a house, PM me. If you need anything, PM me.

- H

Congratulations Kelsey! It definitely takes a few days to come down off the high of getting accepted (or maybe I'm not even over it yet!)~ enjoy it though!

RiverView sounds familiar, Elizabeth. I think one of the first years said alot of med students live there. I was looking at renting in Rochester Towers too.

Thanks for the offer for info FoughtFyr! Any ideas about places to live, last minute warnings, etc :)

Can't wait to meet you all soon!

Congratulations Kelsey! It definitely takes a few days to come down off the high of getting accepted (or maybe I'm not even over it yet!)~ enjoy it though!

RiverView sounds familiar, Elizabeth. I think one of the first years said alot of med students live there. I was looking at renting in Rochester Towers too.

Thanks for the offer for info FoughtFyr! Any ideas about places to live, last minute warnings, etc :)

Can't wait to meet you all soon!

Most students either live close to campus (apartments and condos) or homes in NW. Look at the fellow's housing website (http://www.mayoresidenthousing.org) if you are looking to buy (there are some rentals there too). I'd stay out of SW because any area in SW you are likely to afford will be less than desired (close-in SW is really expensive housing).

- H

I'd stay out of SW because any area in SW you are likely to afford will be less than desired (close-in SW is really expensive housing).

- H

There is a ton of townhouse/condo expansion on South Broadway (south of the new Fleet Farm and Super Target, by Willow Creek Golf Course), thats what I was thinking when I mentioned SW.

Can't beat the downtown apartment towers listed above if you want to be able to walk... (Parking at Mayo is terrible)

There is a ton of townhouse/condo expansion on South Broadway (south of the new Fleet Farm and Super Target, by Willow Creek Golf Course), thats what I was thinking when I mentioned SW.

Can't beat the downtown apartment towers listed above if you want to be able to walk... (Parking at Mayo is terrible)

Yeah, but when you get out that far, I'd still look north. Better bang for the buck if you are buying and easier resale. But ymmv. I'm not sure how parking goes for students. Residents have open parking in almost any Mayo lot so there is no real problem there.

- H

There are like 12 people in the facebook group now. I would be very interested in hearing about apartment news:p