NRMP Trick

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ImDyinHere

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This came from a post on a different board. I don't see how anyone could ever know this was true. Funny what people will try to do when they need answers!

"nrmp trick.

It is not authentic but worth trying. Log on to nrmp.org using ur aamc ID and password. Click "unfilled positions" on the bottom (not on left side).Two kinds of people will log out.

1-People who have interviews and have submitted ROL. They will log out only if they have matched.Otherwise system will not log them out.

2-Applicants who have no interviews and have no ROL will also be logged out.

I again say that I am not sure about authenticity but some people have found it useful in the past."

Members don't see this ad.

tried this & it logs me out.

the link at the left hand side is different from the one at the bottom (left hand has /R3/Applicant and bottom has /R3/Sysadmin).

what i want to know is what the links are for people who stay logged in.

it could be true, but it probably isn't.

I wouldn't place any stock in that trick whatsoever. I listed an advanced program that I had not applied to, in addition to my prelim years, solely in order to be able to access the unfilled positions list. So I will definitely not fully match.

Despite that, the system logged me out.

I wouldn't place any stock in that trick whatsoever. I listed an advanced program that I had not applied to, in addition to my prelim years, solely in order to be able to access the unfilled positions list. So I will definitely not fully match.

Despite that, the system logged me out.

I am sure you have your reasons for doing that...

but thanks for the reply...good to know

Samoa, did you certify your supplemental ROL?

Oh, wait, I guess you should have access to the list either way. I guess that means it's just a joke. Darn. Thanks anyway. :)

The supplemental list certifies along with the primary list. But my prelims are listed on both the primary list and the supplemental list. So I guess if somebody caught wind of the fact that I listed this particular advanced program and ranked me to match there, then I may have fully matched.

However, since I didn't tell anyone I was doing that, it's highly unlikely.

lol...i'll keep my fingers crossed for you...

Also, yesterday it didn't kick me out, but it WAS kicking out other people.

So at one point it may have been working, but no doubt the NRMP people read this board and have fixed it.

ohhhhhhh, no, now you got my hopes up again...i tried this first yesterday...:rolleyes:

I just tried it again, and if I click the one at the bottom, it logs me out. But if I click the one on the left-hand side, it doesn't.

I didn't check the bottom one yesterday, so I don't know for sure.

Wait, wait, it _still_ does that? That's supposed to be the trick! Hey, are the links different ("Applicant" versus "Sysadmin")? Are you just pulling my leg, Samoa???:laugh:

I'll chime in on the madness...
Bottom link ... logged me out
Left side link ... kept me logged in...
What does it all mean!?!?!? Hahaha! If anything, its a little fun 'til monday...
Best of luck everyone...

You _are_ pulling my leg, aren't you? The left-handed link shouldn't log anyone out...:confused:

Bottom link logged me out, left one kept me in the mix. What is this supposed to mean again? I'm so confused.:laugh:

correlation = causation

Congratulations!!! It means you matched, or else it's meaningless. Who knows.

I think it means "wait until March 12, 2007"

long story short, I KNOW FOR SURE that it doesn't work....

We all just have to wait

Hey, even if you just matched to one of your lists you should still "technically" be logged out.

I think it's 50/50. It logs me out but I think I have a strong chance of NOT matching (hope that I am wrong but I only ranked 4 programs for various reasons).

Dammit time is passing slowly.

EDIT: Just tried it, logs my a** right out of there

It doesn't work.

Carry on.

I have some insider information and it does actually work. The OP left out the details though. It only works if it logs you out AFTER you've managed to drink 1 gallon of milk in 30 minutes. If you can't drink the milk, you have to wait til monday. So all I can say to all those from the IMG forums is.... Got Match?

I have some insider information and it does actually work. The OP left out the details though. It only works if it logs you out AFTER you've managed to drink 1 gallon of milk in 30 minutes. If you can't drink the milk, you have to wait til monday. So all I can say to all those from the IMG forums is.... Got Match?

:laugh:

You should sell t-shirts that say that.

My insider information says that this thread should be closed. It also says that the rumormill is at 100% efficiency.

HAHAHAHA!!!! I love it!:laugh:

God! My schincters just tightened by two notches after reading through this thread. Incidently, I was logged out at the bottom of the page, but not when I clicked on the left side. My neurosis has reached new levels tonight and I wish I had some ambien!

The following post is taken from the surgery forum, where we figured out how to get the trick to work 100% of the time. THIS IS FOOLPROOF, GUYS. IT WORKS.

Log on to nrmp.org using ur aamc ID and password. Click unfilled positions on the bottom.(not on left side).Two kinds of people will log out.

1-People who have interviews and have submitted ROL.They will log out only if they have matched.Other wise system will not log them out
2-Applicants who have no interviews and have no ROL will also be loggrd out and a system message will appear saying: "You're movin' with your auntie and uncle in Bel-Air."

I whistled for a cab and when it came near
The license plate said fresh and it had dice in the mirror
If anything I could say that this cab was rare
But I thought, "Nah, forget it. Yo home to Bel-Air!"

I pulled up to the house about 7 or 8
And I yelled to the cabby, "Yo, holmes, smell ya later!"
Looked at my kingdom I was finally there
To sit on my throne as the prince of Bel-Air.

:rolleyes:

I don't really care if its true or not -- I'm just glad that it logged me out. That in itself will hold me over until Monday. If not.... then I'll log on and click unfilled programs at the bottom and just smile :D as it logs me out again & again ............:rolleyes:

I think I might be more excited to see if this actually worked then whether I matched or not...haha I think the psych types call that displacement..haha:D

Maybe it only logs you off if you matched at your number one. :laugh:

Before people get all excited about hacking into the NRMP system (or using some other sort of trick to find out where you matched), let's not forget what happened to those who were applying to B-school who did the same.

Well, it isn't really hacking since we are just pressing a link which is on their site.

Yeah, that would be analogous to a med school placing a link on their website labeled "admissions decisions" and then expecting applicants not to click on it.

Hacking involves accessing secured documents you're not authorized to access. If the organization provides access to things it shouldn't, that's the organization's fault. In a case like that, I think it's unethical of the organization to punish others for its own mistake.

However, if you're accessing something that requires a password you're not authorized to know, that's a different story.

But no one's done that here.

However, if you're accessing something that requires a password you're not authorized to know, that's a different story.

I would argue that if you find out where you've matched before Match Day, you've accessed something that you're not authorized to know. If a PD calls you, they've broken the rules. If you use some trick to get the information early, then you've broken the rules.

If the organization provides access to things it shouldn't, that's the organization's fault. In a case like that, I think it's unethical of the organization to punish others for its own mistake.

This is a very slippery slope. If someone tells you that the local bank was left unlocked tonight, does that make it OK to go and steal money from them? If you find someone's wallet on the street, is it OK to take the money out of it?

In the B-school case noted above, there was a technical glitch in the system (as there is in many systems) that allowed students to access their decisions before an agreed upon release date, instructions distributed on the internet. This seems analagous (to me) to finding a wallet on the street. The right thing to do is return the wallet with the contents intact.

But no one's done that here.

This is likely true, since I doubt this "trick" means anything.

Relax people, 2 more days.. less even.

This is a very slippery slope. If someone tells you that the local bank was left unlocked tonight, does that make it OK to go and steal money from them? If you find someone's wallet on the street, is it OK to take the money out of it?

Oh, no way. This is nothing like that. In fact, I actually noticed that the link logged me out before I found out about this trick. I did something I was entitled to do (mess around on the nrmp website reading all the information they'd posted for me to read) and just happened to click the link in question. I am entitled to speculate as to why the link logged me out. I haven't stolen anything from anyone. Even if the trick works (which I agree is unlikely), I haven't done anything wrong.

And neither have the people who clicked the link after learning of the trick. Give me a break. If anything, it's like guessing what's in your Christmas presents the day before Christmas. You're entitled to pick 'em up & shake 'em, and if you guess what's inside it doesn't hurt anyone. Particularly since you're just _guessing_.

It would be different if the link took you to a page saying that you'd matched (or not matched). In fact, if I accidentally accessed such a page I wouldn't post about it. I'd call up nrmp and tell them so they could fix it.

This is a very slippery slope...
This seems analagous (to me) to finding a wallet on the street. The right thing to do is return the wallet with the contents intact.

I agree with you on the appropriate course of action regarding your analogy. However, to me, having a link on the site seems more analogous to a big sign saying, "free wallet."

In any event, the existence of a slippery slope doesn't mean that every point on the slope is unethical. The whole point of ethics as a discipline is to figure out where on the slope the line is drawn.

So what time on monday can we check the nrmp site or our email to see if we've matched. My school said they would page us on monday 11:30 a.m pacific time if we are unmatched. Others are saying 9 a.m. pacific/ 12 noon eastern. What's the deal?:confused:

So what time on monday can we check the nrmp site or our email to see if we've matched. My school said they would page us on monday 11:30 a.m pacific time if we are unmatched. Others are saying 9 a.m. pacific/ 12 noon eastern. What's the deal?:confused:

The schools find out at 11:30 am Eastern time. Applicants find out at 12 pm Eastern time. I don't think your school is allowed to tell you before 12.

noon eastern, that's when you can log on and see if you've matched or not.

Your school is probably notifying you later (after the noon eastern time that the NRMP sends the emails) so that they can confirm that you actually got the news and are planning on coming to their meeting on what to do for the scramble. They are probably used to having a couple people who didn't check their email for whatever reason (overconfident, or just too busy). They don't want any unmatched people to not realize it. By making it later, they can rely on most of the people calling in before that (so, less pages to make).

Here's an interesting question:

Will we get an email if we match, or only if we don't Match?

if you read the email from the nrmp it states

All applicants will receive their Did I Match? information on the web and by email at noon on Monday, March 12th, letting them know whether, but not where, they matched. The Regional Match Statistics by Specialty Report (which displays Match information organized by region and specialty) also will be available at noon by clicking the My Reports tab. For each specialty, the number of offered and unfilled positions is displayed. Beginning at 1:00 p.m. on Match Day, Thursday, March 15th, matched applicants will be able to access their Where Did I Match? information on the web, letting them know to which program(s) they matched. Applicants will be able to access their certified rank order lists throughout Match Week.

Now that the results are out, it would be nice to know how the so-called trick is working now.

I have matched and tried the links. The left one keeps me logged in, but the bottom one logs me out.

It is probably not a good time to ask, but it would be nice if others who have unfortunately not matched would also try it and post here.

Granted, it would still be anectodal evidence, but who knows? ....

It is BS. Some guy on auntminnie got logged out and he didn't match. Just an old wives tale

I was always logged out and I did not match.