Two Unfilled Categorical Spots this Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

footcramp

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
both in the south.
does this mean GS is half as competitive this year compared to last year? our specialty is dying! :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

Good luck to everyone in the scramble!

Members don't see this ad :)
how do u know about the unfilled spots?

Logon to NRMP and click on 'My Reports' for this year's match statistics. Here's General Surgery:

2007 General Surgery Regional Match Statistics

(Total Offered/Unfilled)
Western: 151/0
Central: 244/0
Southern: 289/2
Northeastern: 373/0
Total: 1057/2 (99.8% filled)

anyone know which 2 programs didn't fill?

is it legal to disclose here? both spots are at the same place

Carilion in Roanoke,VA per rumor

Roanoke had 2 open spots? Not that I'm shocked...but it would be interesting to have this confirmed or denied.

the rumour may b right - remember i didnt say anything :)

roanoke is the spot. May have something to do with the fact that they just added a position is what my PD said.

I don't think so. I have a classmate doing residency there.

My post from 3/1/07

"If you're looking for a program that won't match, check out Carilion in Roanoke. The program has fallen apart in the last year. Several residents have left / are leaving as the program has lost all the vascular surgeons, are looking for a new program director (the 4th in 4 years), ABSITE and board pass rates are low, and will most likely be put on probation when the institutional review takes place next year due to massive 80 hours violations. On the bright side, if your looking for a program with open spots and likely won't match all the categorical spots, check it out."

I didn't realize there were only 1059 spots in the country. :eek: