I Want My Msar!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doc Henry

blowin' in the wind
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I ordered it on the 26th and I really really want it!

On another note...anyone excited to start their app in a few days??? Thats another thing I'm really anxious about

I'm noticing a trend of me wanting to spend more time working on applying to med school and less and less time studying for my current class...Not really a good trend.

Members don't see this ad.

Got mine. It's purple. Soon you can join me in data whoredom.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't be fooled by the numbers, it is of accepted and not matriculated students. Of course schools will accept students with 40's on their MCAT, but the better estimate of your odds at a school would be the matriculated student's numbers.

Wow, I remember being bright eyed and bushy-tailed this time last year. How old we get in this process :(

I wouldn't buy a new MSAR - yeah some numbers will change slightly, but not much (what you have in a 2008-2009 MSAR are the numbers reported for the 2006 class anyway - already 2 years before your class would be). Check schools websites to double check that you have all the prereqs but beyond that sure numbers change, but not so much that it would make or break your decision to apply to a school).

i have the 2006-2007 version, should i get the updated one?

No. There's not that much that has changed. Even with the new one, it's best to verify all data on each's school's website anyway. So use the old one, and for the schools you think you want to apply to, look on their website to see if anything major has changed.

Unless you're data obsessed. Then what are you waiting for?

you should buy my msar from 2006-2007, so you can analyze the trend of change...:laugh:

Go to the library and read it there if you're that impatient.

Also, I'm excited to end this application year. Good riddance.

you should buy my msar from 2006-2007, so you can analyze the trend of change...:laugh:

:laugh: I have trend data back to 2004. I'm almost done updating my spreadsheet with the 07-08 data, and I got the book 2 hours ago. I'm a dork.

Got mine. It's purple. Soon you can join me in data whoredom.
Wow, already? I also ordered mine on the 26th and checked my mail today but nothing yet... That's all right, though; I've got enough to deal with in school!

So the MSAR data for gpa and mcat are based on all of the candidates they ACCEPTED, not the candidates that actually MATRICULATED??? I didn't know that! So that probably means that for top tier schools the numbers are pretty accurate in terms of chances, but for mid or lower tier schools the numbers are likely exaggerated. The best kids (40 MCAT, 4.0, etc) will get into multiple places, choose the top tier schools, bringing down the average numbers for the class that actually matriculates at lower tier schools...

Are the average/median numbers for matriculants available anywhere?

is the msar a "must have" for choosing which schools to apply? i'm a first time applicant for the upcoming cycle, and was just wondering if i absolutely need to get this book.

is the msar a "must have" for choosing which schools to apply? i'm a first time applicant for the upcoming cycle, and was just wondering if i absolutely need to get this book.

not a "must have," but it definitely helps.

It would be a mistake to apply without looking at the MSAR. You don't have to buy it, and you don't have to find the latest one.

Do you know how you're choosing the schools you'll apply to? Location? Cost? US News ranking? Class size? M/F ratio? Classmates who are members of your ethnic group? If you haven't thought about this, the MSAR lays out a great deal of info in a browseable fashion. If you have thought about how to choose, you'll want to verify that you haven't missed some targets or chosen ones with OOS teflon.

Do you have rock star stats? 4.0, 44T, eye-high DABs, published, LOR from Paul Farmer? If so, apply anywhere. Otherwise, to quote LizzyM, you'll want to focus on schools where your GPA is within 0.5 of their average (although all MSAR gives is median) and apply to as many of them as you can.

Best of luck to you.

Must have as in, go to library and ***** it for a day.