Military Pathology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

1Path

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As one of those folks who have to do a military stint, I'm actually pretty happy about it. (In terms of training and opportunity for practice... I loathe every 'military' part about being in the military... especially all of the mandatory training BS).

I don't think there's a thread anywhere about this, but since I'm serioulsy considering opportunities in the Navy, I'd like to get a feel for what's available.

For anyone willing to answer, how difficult is it to go into pathology with a prior military obligation? I've always heard that the military can require you to go into whatever program they need folks in.

Any other relevant info would be greatly appreciated.

As an aside, I heard from some folks at the NIH that AFIP is going to be reorganized under the Naval hospital and /or the NIH clinical center in the future. I really hope that's true because if it's available when my time comes in 10 years, I'd like to rotate there.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think there's a thread anywhere about this, but since I'm serioulsy considering opportunities in the Navy, I'd like to get a feel for what's available.

What advantage does Military give to MD/PhD?

I don't know of the military making anyone do a different residency per say. But I know of Navy docs being deployed to deal with the Tsunami back in 2005. And I know of a hem-onc doctor having to run a critical care regional deployed hospital. (needed to cover things like intubations and things that are not normally handled by Heme Onc.)

Technically, they can make you scrub decks or hand you a rifle.

What advantage does Military give to MD/PhD? .
The military is something I've been interested in since I was a kid. MD/PhD at least the PhD part, is something that came later. Why not look into ways to incoprate the two? Personally, I don't think folks pursue the MD/PhD looking for specific career "advantages".

Having said that, unlike a lot of other future MD/PhD's, I look forward to a career as a Fed doing research: NIH, NCI, FDA, or USUHS with an adjunct professorship at say Howard or GWU.
Technically, they can make you scrub decks or hand you a rifle.
I hope you're kidding about the scrub comments unless of course, you're a fan of one of those "soft" military brances like the Air Force.:laugh: As far as the rifle is concerned, that will simply be an upgrade from my handy, dandy Lugar.;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Here are two posts I've made on it in this thread

What advantage does Military give to MD/PhD?

You basically get an early promotion to O-4 (major) in the army (you get an extra four years to rank). This may be contingent on not earning MD/PhD at the same time (ie. MSTP)... I'm not sure I only personally know one person who has taken advantage.

My advice, if you want to do pathology in the military and you have any chance to choose your branch (ie. you are not already on active-duty) do NOT choose the Navy. The differences in the way pathologists in the Navy and the Army are treated is astounding.

As an aside, I heard from some folks at the NIH that AFIP is going to be reorganized under the Naval hospital and /or the NIH clinical center in the future.

Actually the geniuses down at the Pentagon are closing the AFIP (and basically ruining military pathology because of it). Walter Reed is supposed to be consolidated with Bethesda.

if you're talking HPSP or guard (joining while you're in med school), the military won't designate your specialty for you, but obviously GP and surgery are a hell of a lot more useful to the military than a pathologist.

unless you're talking about joining after you're already an established physician...in that case, I'm not sure how the recruitment of practicing pathologists goes. i just visited the Army's web site a few days ago and didn't see pathology in the list of fields the Army is "actively recruiting."
Navy, however, might be different, especially if what you said about the NIH is true.

Actually the geniuses down at the Pentagon are closing the AFIP (and basically ruining military pathology because of it). Walter Reed is supposed to be consolidated with Bethesda.

Unless you want to go guard or reserve, which would give you an entirely different role (basically non-pathology) grading physicals, commanding batallions / AMEDD units, etc...boring paperwork, etc... (precisely the reason I'm leaving). Then there's the pleasure of being deployed once a year or so for 4 months at a time.

Here are two posts I've made on it in this thread
Thanks for the links!
My advice, if you want to do pathology in the military and you have any chance to choose your branch (ie. you are not already on active-duty) do NOT choose the Navy. The differences in the way pathologists in the Navy and the Army are treated is astounding..
I'm the daughter of a Marine Vietnam Vet and wife of a former Naval Commander. Conversations about anything "green" are going to be tough!:laugh: But with the realization that my kids will be in collge by the time i enter residency, I'm now also looking into Oncology although I think my heart will always be in path. My Godmother is a retired Army Colonel who essentially told me the same thing you have ao I guess I need to take a trip over there and talk with some other folks.
I knew they were closing it down, I guess I'm just hopeful that my higher up contacts at the NIH are right about it being "reorganized" into Navy Medical/NIH Pathology sometime in the future.:thumbup: