What constitutes a Passing Grade

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cool_vkb

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey quick question, when the school says you need a Passing grade in the following subject. What grade does that mean.

I mean is "C" a passing grade or is "D" also considered a Passing Grade.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd say C- or higher is passing at most schools

Members don't see this ad :)
Barry uses the following grading scale. Like many medical programs, there are no +/- grades:

90-100% = A
80-89.99 = B
70-79.99 = C
66-69.99 = D

Since there are no +/-, the 89.x% or 79.x% grades are at the liberty of the professor. Some might bump everyone within 0.5% of the next grade. Some may bump your grade if you showed interest in the class and/or had good lecture attendance. Some might make you write a paper to earn the higher grade. Some won't budge at all.

You can only get one D in your entire time here. If you get one F or 2+ Ds, you will be dismissed or remediate the courses. 5yr program students cannot receive D grades. There are no "retakes" as you see at other pod schools.

i like the idea that people cannot get by with more than 1 D. It is understandable that maybe 1 time you do poorly in a class or whatnot... I Like the strictness, so that the ones who really try are the ones who are going to get through it

i like the idea that people cannot get by with more than 1 D. It is understandable that maybe 1 time you do poorly in a class or whatnot... I Like the strictness, so that the ones who really try are the ones who are going to get through it

if "D" is so bad then why dont we just call it an "F". why do they assign this "D" grade in first place when it is useless.

if "D" is so bad then why dont we just call it an "F". why do they assign this "D" grade in first place when it is useless.

I guess so that deep down inside you don't feel like a total failure.

DMU is the following:

Anything 69.5% or higher is passing, anything below that (in an entire class that is) you have to do either A) a retake test (usually cumulative) or B) remediate the course in the summer. If you fail to pass A then you move onto B, if you fail to pass B then you're put into the "5 year" program which means you retake just the class that you failed, not the entire year, but it essentially puts you back a year. If you fail ANYTHING in your 5th year, then you may be given the option of a retake or you may be asked to leave, depending on the situation.

It's not really useless at all. I think it's better than letting the student who failed just re-take an easier final exam and get a "C" that they really didn't earn on their transcript and in their GPA calculation. A "D" hurts the GPA and shows those who look at the transcript that knowledge in that subject may be barely adequate. A "D" is, by definition, "poor" (A=excellent, B=good, C=fair, D=poor, F=fail). Some pod classes are pretty tough even if you took the subject in undergrad, and some semesters are very tough when you get 2 or 3 of those challenging classes together (ie LEA + physio or path + micro).

The reason Barry has "D"s is mainly, as I said, that there are no "re-examination" or "retakes" here. At some other schools, if you got below a 70% (or maybe below whatever a curved C was), then you take a retake exam the next week which is cummulative and covers the basics of the class that the teacher feels is needed to move on in the program. The retake is essentially an easier cummulative final exam. If a student passes the retake, they get a "C-" or a "C/F" but can move on. If they fail the retake and/or summer remediation class, then they will be dismissed or go to 5yr track.

http://www.ocpm.edu/students/handbook/handbook2006_2007.pdf (page 45)
http://www.nycpm.edu/prospectiveStudents/handbook.pdf (page 28)
http://www.rosalindfranklin.edu/scpm/admissions.scholl/2006-2007.SCPM.Student.Handbook.pdf (page 19)
DMU's policy I couldn't find online but densmore just said they have retakes and rmediation also.
AZPod, CSPM, and Temple I have no idea on retakes or remediation...?

At Barry, there are no retakes, re-exams, or summer remediation for failed courses, so failing a class is a lot more detrimental. One "D" (66-69.99%) is allowed during the entire program for 4yr track students for that reasoning. Even good students might slip a bit during their time here and narrowly pass a class, and that "D" is their one safety net before they are dismissed or switched to 5yr track.

At OCPM you have to attain an 70% to pass and that is considered a C. SO anything below would be a F.

At OCPM you have to attain an 70% to pass and that is considered a C. SO anything below would be a F.

That's right, there are no Ds. Actually it seems like the grade doesn't really matter. Everything just goes into the overall percent average.