Open letter to Dr. Ajluni

Started by DO Anes
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DO Anes

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
July 2, 2007
Peter B. Ajluni, DO
President, American Osteopathic Association
142 East Ontario Street
Chicago, Illinois 60611
Dear Dr. Ajluni:
I am an academic physician and 2006-2007 AOA Health Policy Fellow. Although I work in the large world of sub specialized allopathic academic medicine, I am very proud to be a DO and practice Osteopathic medicine everyday. Significantly, in the extraordinarily competitive world of anesthesiology, our residency of 28 spots, is usually composed of 20-30% DO’s, most of whom are exemplary physicians and go on to become chief residents. I see, on a daily basis, the benefits our patients receive from application of Osteopathic principles and philosophy and I am truly gratified to provide this care to the people of our state.
I am writing to you today because I and a large group of my Osteopathic brothers and sisters are very concerned about the future of this profession and about the negative impact we believe a for-profit osteopathic medical school may have. As you may be aware, all for-profit medical schools in the US were intentionally closed by 1935, following the Flexner report of 1910. Since then, all medical education in the US has been non-profit. We are very disturbed that an Osteopathic school has to be the one to break this standard. Although COCA permits for-profit schools, they are prohibited by the LCME and are even illegal in some states, such as Kansas. The Rocky Vista School, to be operated as an investment by the owners of the American University of the Caribbean, will bring into the public eye the image of Osteopathic medical schools as mercenary entities, treating desperate students as just another profit-making commodity. In an era where there are 47 million Americans without health insurance, where the US ranks 43rd in infant mortality and where medical costs are the leading cause of personal bankruptcy, how can this profession justify the existence of for-profit schools? If we are serious about health care access, cost and quality, then we cannot stand idly by and allow this profession to stand for money, profits and investments. Any excess revenue generated from medical education should be returned to the schools for development, used to open patient outreach clinics or simply used to lower the costs of tuition that, in of themselves, are contributing to disparities in the physician workforce force and are already a source of criticism of Osteopathic medical education.
I understand that, by established policies, we cannot necessarily prevent accreditation of this school under COCA standards. There is nothing, however, to prevent you, as the public voice of organized Osteopathic medicine, to use your bully pulpit and state your disapproval of this backward step. Will you?
Please do not hesitate to contact me if I may be of assistance. This is a unique opportunity in our history to demonstrate that we, as Osteopathic physicians, stand for our patients and not our profits.
Sincerely,
George Mychaskiw II, DO, FAAP
Professor and Vice Chairman
 
I completely agree with the above letter. I think that it is irresponsible to open a medical school without it being affiliated with a major university or a major teaching hospital. Medical schools are not supposed to generate profit, instead the are supposed to generate research and produce strong clincially trained physicians. Rocky Vista is a start up "university" that will have neither the research capacity nor the resources of a teaching hospital to produce good quality physicians. Rocky Vista is simply an attempt to generate revenue and is trying to take advantage of the lax laws set up by the COCA to start a DO program. We as osteopathic physicians should only support those schools that move our profession forward with new basic and clinical research to support new modalities in patient care. Even though there is a real need for more physicians in this country, I do not support the establishment of "fake" medical schools.

Dr. David Roshal, DO
Internal Medicine Intern, SUNY Upstate Syracuse
Neurology Resident, Thomas Jefferson University
 
the line I've always heard from the AOA is "we have no control over COCA." well, then who does??

BTW DO Anes, I couldn't agree more...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Public Comment is now being accepted on proposed revisions to the COM Accreditation Standards and Procedures (download the PDF at right) through Monday, July 16, 2007. E-mail comments to: [email protected]. http://www.osteopathic.org/index.cfm?PageID=acc_predoc
Sorry I didn't see this thread and the above page earlier...but please note:
The next meeting of the AOA Commission on Osteopathic College Accreditation (COCA) will be held on Saturday, August 25, and Sunday, August 26, 2007, at the O'Hare Hilton Hotel in Chicago, IL. Review of accreditation activities will begin on August 25th at 9:00am (CDT).
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Two initial provisional accreditation site visit reports will be reviewed: Rocky Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine (Parker, CO); and, Pacific Northwest University of Health Sciences, College of Osteopathic Medicine (Yakima, WA). The COCA is expected to make a decision on whether to grant initial provisional accreditation to these two colleges..
Also note from the proposed accreditation standards (published July 1, available for public comment until July 16):
Individuals who wish to present testimony about the COM Accreditation Standards and Procedures may do so upon written notice thirty (30) days prior to the August meeting to Andrea Williams, MA, Assistant Secretary, COCA at [email protected].
If people are serious about this, you have until July 25, 2007 to give written notice!

Finally:

Detailed information about third-party testimony and procedures for its submission may be found in the section titled, "Third Party Comments", located immediately above this meeting notice. For more information about this meeting, including a request to present written third-party testimony, please contact the Secretary to the Commission: Konrad C. Miskowicz-Retz, PhD, CAE; Director, Department of Accreditation; American Osteopathic Association; 142 East Ontario Street; Chicago, IL 60611; phone 312.202.8048; fax 312.202.8202; e-mail [email protected].
I'll stop now before I copy and paste the whole page. It appears that a certain James M. Lally, DO is Chair of COCA. I'll let you Google the rest. I suggest that we do this in an organized fashion and select one or two experts willing to present. Now, we need to find experts, identify with them the 2-4 most powerful and substantive issues that demonstrate the foolishness of accrediting Rocky Vista, give written notice, and arrange for them to present at the Chicago O'Hare Hilton on August 25 and 26. Unless testimony is reserved for those who submitted comments by July 16. I wonder what the politics are like in AOA and COCA surrounding Rocky Vista.

I'd be happy to help coordinate. Leave a message for me at (202) 449-1199, email me at [email protected], or IM me on AIM at IactaAleaEstDO.
the line I've always heard from the AOA is "we have no control over COCA." well, then who does??

BTW DO Anes, I couldn't agree more...
 
Thank God for Dr. Ajluni and the sense he has to finally bring this to people's attention. A for-profit medical school is one of the most asinine things I've ever encountered. All it takes is one school like this to absolutely ruin osteopathic medicine's reputation. Critics and detractors will quickly point to Rocky Mountain Vista at every opportunity, if we allow this to happen.
 
Thank God for Dr. Ajluni and the sense he has to finally bring this to people's attention.
You are thanking the wrong person. To date, I'm not sure that Dr. Ajluni has done the least little thing to oppose the accreditation of RV (I saw this school referred to as "RVCOM" in another thread. Cute, but inappropriate, as it is not yet a "COM.") I suspect you meant to thank the author of the above open letter to Dr. Ajluni, George Mychaskiw II, DO, FAAP.
 
I wouldn't be thanking the AOA for anything on this issue at this current time. Here is the statement from John Crosby, the AOA's Executive Director, that was posted on his blog: http://blogs.do-online.org/dailyreport.php?itemid=30 (scroll to the bottom)
___________________________________________________________________________________
JohnCrosby wrote:
Dear Dr. Schriner:

You are confusing for-profit schools with unaccredited schools. They are not the same. The business status of a school does not determine the quality of its product. The accreditation status of a school is an indicator that a school has met identified pre-requisites necessary for a quality education to occur. It also indicates that a school has agreed to be measured and, therefore, has incentives to produce a quality product or face exposure in the marketplace for not meeting the standards.

The offshore MD schools to which you refer are not accredited by the LCME, the accrediting body for US medical schools. To our knowledge, the offshore schools do not have accreditation from a regional accrediting agency that is recognized by the US Department of Education. If those schools were accredited by LCME, they would need to meet the same quality requirements as the not-for-profit MD schools located in the US and Canada which are recognized by the LCME, and they would need to produce the same benchmark quality of product and the not-for-profit MD schools.

What concerns many people about for-profit schools is that resources that could go into medical research or indigent care might go back to shareholders instead. We will be monitoring such issues to see how an osteopathic for-profit school might allocate its “profit.”

JBC
Tuesday 17 July 17:07

______________________________________________________________________________

Its kind of funny that he talks about LCME standards in the same statement as the Rocky Vista School....as the LCME would probably laugh at this schools application instead of approve it like COCA and have the AOA "watch" it

I apologize....I've been out of the SDN loop for awhile, and I didn't take the time to accurately read the title of the thread, let alone the "Dear Dr. Ajluni".

God save osteopathic medicine if this school goes through.
 
I wouldn't be thanking the AOA for anything on this issue at this current time. Here is the statement from John Crosby, the AOA's Executive Director, that was posted on his blog: http://blogs.do-online.org/dailyreport.php?itemid=30 (scroll to the bottom)
___________________________________________________________________________________
JohnCrosby wrote:
Dear Dr. Schriner:

You are confusing for-profit schools with unaccredited schools. They are not the same. The business status of a school does not determine the quality of its product. The accreditation status of a school is an indicator that a school has met identified pre-requisites necessary for a quality education to occur. It also indicates that a school has agreed to be measured and, therefore, has incentives to produce a quality product or face exposure in the marketplace for not meeting the standards.

The offshore MD schools to which you refer are not accredited by the LCME, the accrediting body for US medical schools. To our knowledge, the offshore schools do not have accreditation from a regional accrediting agency that is recognized by the US Department of Education. If those schools were accredited by LCME, they would need to meet the same quality requirements as the not-for-profit MD schools located in the US and Canada which are recognized by the LCME, and they would need to produce the same benchmark quality of product and the not-for-profit MD schools.

What concerns many people about for-profit schools is that resources that could go into medical research or indigent care might go back to shareholders instead. We will be monitoring such issues to see how an osteopathic for-profit school might allocate its “profit.”

JBC
Tuesday 17 July 17:07

______________________________________________________________________________

Its kind of funny that he talks about LCME standards in the same statement as the Rocky Vista School....as the LCME would probably laugh at this schools application instead of approve it like COCA and have the AOA "watch" it
I am beginning to fear that the greatest foe of osteopathic medicine is the AOA.
 
beginning?

I've held that belief since before the "send post-cards to medical shows" campaign was concocted.

:barf:

I think I don't want to know about this campaign...but yes, let me know the full horror of what we're up against.
 
it sure seems that way
I agree, Dr. Crosby effectively admits that the AOA COCA standards are inferior to those of the LCME.

And the "separate but equal" argument goes up in smoke...

The AOA has all the marks of an intellectually and professionally incestuous organization. It needs new blood. The current leadership inspires no confidence.
 
Sorry I didn't see this thread and the above page earlier...but please note:
Also note from the proposed accreditation standards (published July 1, available for public comment until July 16):
If people are serious about this, you have until July 25, 2007 to give written notice!

Finally:

I'll stop now before I copy and paste the whole page. It appears that a certain James M. Lally, DO is Chair of COCA. I'll let you Google the rest. I suggest that we do this in an organized fashion and select one or two experts willing to present. Now, we need to find experts, identify with them the 2-4 most powerful and substantive issues that demonstrate the foolishness of accrediting Rocky Vista, give written notice, and arrange for them to present at the Chicago O'Hare Hilton on August 25 and 26. Unless testimony is reserved for those who submitted comments by July 16. I wonder what the politics are like in AOA and COCA surrounding Rocky Vista.

I'd be happy to help coordinate. Leave a message for me at (202) 449-1199, email me at [email protected], or IM me on AIM at IactaAleaEstDO.
I think this is a great idea, but who on this board is an expert? Many of us don't even know what we should do to voice our opinion ...