revealing ethnic identity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bruinkid

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
will i hurt to reveal ethnic identity? i
m working on the nyu statistical form and don't know what to do.
please help.

Members don't see this ad.

You might as well reveal it. If they interview you they are going to see you and make a guess about it anyway. Why hide it?

Reveal it. If you are an URM it can only help.

Members don't see this ad :)
i personally hate the fact that they have these..

im white (caucassian) and that hurts me rather than helps me.

Originally posted by agent
i personally hate the fact that they have these..

im white (caucassian) and that hurts me rather than helps me.

Right. Because med schools never accept any white people.:rolleyes:

thats not my point.. i understand that. i just think quotas are bulls*it

Quotas are at least de jure illegal in most states as far as I know...

thats not my point.. i understand that. i just think quotas are bulls*it

Interestingly, quotas in med school admissions are unconstitutional.

Regents of the Univ. of Cal. v. Bakke, 438 U.S. 265 (1978) is the landmark case--the guy sued UC-Davis after they rejected him and a sharply divided Supreme Court ruled the quota admissions system Davis used violated his 14th amendment rights to Equal Protection.

http://www.bartleby.com/65/re/RegentsU.html

Obviously, nowadays affirmative action is implemented without official quotas, and the Court made sure to ensure the legality of taking race into account in med school admissions. I'd recommend getting a hold of the audio file of Thurgood Marshall's dissent in the case. It's quite moving.

then why do they ask?

okay i see now.. it just frustrates me.

the angry mob brandishes its beating clubs as the dead horse is slowly carted out........

Originally posted by DW
the angry mob brandishes its beating clubs as the dead horse is slowly carted out........

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

yeah we know its a dead horse.. it doesnt mean that i cant still be frustrated.

Members don't see this ad :)
There's no need to start beating this dead horse.

What I referred to in my response post ("Reveal it. If you are an URM it can only help.") doesn't refer to quotas, but scholarships for minority students who have their acts together. Baylor offers tuition waivers to all minority students. Duke and Washington University have 8 full scholarships for minorities. The University of Cincinatti will waive tuition for a minority student with 25 MCAT and 3.4 GPA. Miami University also has some tuition waiver programs for minority students. I have no doubt that there are more programs out there that I've overlooked.

I'm not claiming anything about the moral necessity (or outrage) of quotas or of targeted scholarships. I'm not claiming anything about whether the fact that these targeted scholarships exist actually says anything about the quality of their recipients. The only thing I'm doing is reporting on the facts. (BTW, this information comes from someone (not me) who works in the minority affairs office of a top 20 medical school.)

Cheers
-a.

im just going to cry because i feel its not fair.

they'll definitely discover from the pic you send in and your interview.

Originally posted by dr kevin40
they'll definitely discover from the pic you send in and your interview.

maybe i should paint my face and wear feathers in my pic? :laugh:

Medical schools never discriminate on the basis of race.
URMs admitted under AA aren't less qualified then their fellow non-AA matriculants.
And AA is an anti-discriminatory measure that makes sure admissions committees do not show prejudice against URMs.

AA definitely is NOT a tool for social change that sacrifices and hurts non-URMs in order to put less qualified URMs in higher social-economic levels of society. It defiantly isn't a misguided effort to achieve racial equity in this country.

Medical School Admissions: Your personal canvas for social change

Originally posted by Ryo-Ohki
Medical schools never discriminate on the basis of race.
URMs admitted under AA aren't less qualified then their fellow non-AA Matriculants.

errr.. i'd have to disagree here. i don't want to start an affirmative action flame war, but some urms who get into med school are less qualified, academically anyway, than non-urms who got rejected. i am not opposed to affirmative action, but this is a fact, and we shouldn't try to pretend otherwise.

Originally posted by lola

errr.. i'd have to disagree here. i don't want to start an affirmative action flame war, but some urms who get into med school are less qualified, academically anyway, than non-urms who got rejected. i am not opposed to affirmative action, but this is a fact, and we shouldn't try to pretend otherwise.

true dat my bovine friend!

we neeeeedsss to keep it real.

lola's sarcasm detector is broken.

oh, was that supposed to be sarcastic?? i guess... maybe.

If you are white or asian, then check the last box on the list that says you do not want to reveal.

If you are URM, then check the correct box.

Isn't that simple? :clap:

sigh.
you know whats funny - for whatever reason I cant post from work - so for like 12 hours (*hangs head in shame* - yes I am an addict) all I can do is watch all the stupid **** people say on this board and I'm powerless to flame away.
now, at home when I can actually say something... I feel like I'm on vacation with my girlfriend again - the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.
sigh.

I think it is more than fair to admit URMs especially bc/ they probably make much better doctors than white doctors. By the way I am Indian (from India).

The reason I say this is bc/ I am sure most senior doctors agree that being the best student does not imply one will make a great doctor. My father and most of his friends are doctors and they have all told me most treatment is done adjunct with the body's natural healing mechanisms. Therefore, a doctor's primary role is to comfort and understand the patient and his or her suffering.

Most blacks, hispanics and native americans have undergone great suffering and pain. In contrast, I know most whites can not relate to true suffering (and I base this on socioeconomic realities).

I would rather be treated by a black women from the ghetto, who was a mediocre student bc/ she went to a poorly-funded urban school and had to work to pay for college, got into med school due to affirmative action, and when looking after me, really empathizes with my suffering; Rather than a white gunner, who was top of his prep school, dated the prom queen, got into Harvard, never worked a job bc/ he had to, and looks at me as another task he most overcome to climb to the top of his achievement mountain.

Sorry if I have ruffled any feathers but I think people need to look at the whole picture.

gowdah

I heard of a few asian students at my highschool who changed their last names so they would not be discriminated against when applying to college. According to them if the college knew they were asian then they would expect that they have 4.00 and outstanding ACTs.
Seems a bit extreme expecially since their claim has never been proven.

I havent seen too many asians kids in america without a college education... I guess that answers that question.

Originally posted by gowdah
I think it is more than fair to admit URMs especially bc/ they probably make much better doctors than white doctors. By the way I am Indian (from India).

The reason I say this is bc/ I am sure most senior doctors agree that being the best student does not imply one will make a great doctor. My father and most of his friends are doctors and they have all told me most treatment is done adjunct with the body's natural healing mechanisms. Therefore, a doctor's primary role is to comfort and understand the patient and his or her suffering.

Most blacks, hispanics and native americans have undergone great suffering and pain. In contrast, I know most whites can not relate to true suffering (and I base this on socioeconomic realities).

I would rather be treated by a black women from the ghetto, who was a mediocre student bc/ she went to a poorly-funded urban school and had to work to pay for college, got into med school due to affirmative action, and when looking after me, really empathizes with my suffering; Rather than a white gunner, who was top of his prep school, dated the prom queen, got into Harvard, never worked a job bc/ he had to, and looks at me as another task he most overcome to climb to the top of his achievement mountain.

Sorry if I have ruffled any feathers but I think people need to look at the whole picture.

gowdah
:eek:

puh-leeze...+pissed+

If there truly was no affirmative action then only people accepted to med school would be indians, asians, and jews... so I dont see why whites should be complaining about URMs.

If there truly was no affirmative action then only people accepted to med school would be indians, asians, and jews... so I dont see why whites should be complaining about URMs.

omg you are so off base.. im just going to pretend you don't exist.

im sorry but you are truly an arrogant bastard.

LOL

We all need to stop beating the dead horse man. I mean whoever said life was fair.........

Why does AA allow an academically less qualified applicant into medical school? why does the good die young? Why are we here? What makes peanut butter and jelly go so well together? Why do people go to starbucks and pay $6 for a cup of coffee when they can get a Jar full of beans for $3 and can make coffee at home? What's the cause of my strange attraction to Joaquin pheonix? Will they make another Austin powers movie?

These are all questions without answers..........

And it frustrates me

+pissed+

and those are all good questions...

starbucks is expensive man... but i swear they put crack in their coffee.. its so damn addictive.

try the starbucks chai tea with soy milk

YUUUUUMMMMMMMMMM :D

Originally posted by BushBaby
LOL

What's the cause of my strange attraction to Joaquin pheonix?

allright, you officially have the weirdest taste in men ever. First, Justin big fat sissy Timberlake. Then, the Dell toolasaurus rex. I guess it must be the cleft palate that turns you on for joaquin.

:laugh:

Originally posted by DW

allright, you officially have the weirdest taste in men ever. First, Justin big fat sissy Timberlake. Then, the Dell toolasaurus rex. I guess it must be the cleft palate that turns you on for joaquin.

I think this thread is getting more and more interesting...Go on, continue...Muhahahaha!

Originally posted by DW

uhmmmm DW.........I am detecting a tiny hint of envy/jealousy in your voice. Green is really not your color..............:laugh:

Ohhhhhhhhh..........the thought of the scar on Joaquin's lip(mega sexy).....just makes my spine tingle.....ohhhhhhhhh yeah baby yeah...:love:

yeah it went from race and ethnicity to starbucks and joquin phoenix..

nuts! :laugh:

I really do not think I am arrogant... just presenting the truth.

1. Medical school is the most competitive graduate school program to enter.

2. Asians, Indians, and Jews represent over 25% of med school classes.

3. Asians, Indians and Jews make up less than 5% of the US population.

4. Due to affirmative action, if you are asian, indian or jew, it is harder to get into a top medical school since you have to compete with other asian, indians and jews.

5. Therefore, 1 + 1 = 2, if there was no affirmative action, there would be a much, much greater percentage of asians, indians and jews in medical schools.

I say this not to say that there should be no affirmative action, in fact if you read my earlier post you will see I am a staunch supporter of it. Rather I say this to basically tell all white pre-meds to stop whining about URMs.

:clap:

side note--I agree everyone needs to stop whining about AA. Do your best, get good grades, have a great interview....and don't worry. Don't feel that someone else is taking away "your" spot cause frankly the spot wasn't yours for the taking to start with. This is not like booking an airline ticket where you have a guranteed seat........unless you are assuming that "your" (medical seat) spot was given to a URM due to AA. That's a big assumption cause it could have been given to a white girl who was just more qualified than you.

Gowdah...much respect to you,
BUT

I have worked hard to change the focus of this thread to Joaquin or starbucks coffee.........so please please please........I will say no more now:laugh:

Bushbaby,

Thanks for the understanding. I will try to avoid stirring up controversy... but I hate it when people that are born with all social entitlements (just bc/ they lack melanin) start bitching when others try to even the playing ground. To all those, I say: "now you know what it feels like when life is not fair... Step up or shut up."

Thanks.

gowdah

Originally posted by BushBaby

uhmmmm DW.........I am detecting a tiny hint of envy/jealousy in your voice. Green is really not your color..............:laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: oh boy, you've figured me out. I'm quite jealous of lip scars, along with cold sores and other mouth deformities, and oh how i wish i could sing and look like a 10 year old girl :laugh::laugh:

i dont think i'm on an island here, your displayed taste on these board in men is "strange", to say the very leasy ;) to each their own, i'm just messing with you of course.
:p

OK Folks, let me break it down like this:

1) Why are we focusing on how different groups get into medical school? The bottom line is that since there is no "URM" MCAT test or "URM" USMLE, any minority group member that gets accepted into medical school will very likely finish and....

2) Be more likely than ANYONE to provide medical services to other minorities that do not receive adequate medical care. I am Black, but I don't want to go to an indian reservation to practice. A Native American, is far more likely to do this and if he/she gets into school "X" with lower stats than mine then, SO WHAT! If we are truly interested in helping people, which seems to be a stretch based on the previous responses, then you have to recognize the TREMENDOUS need for Doctors that represent ALL of America.

Finally, thank you Gowdah for "keeping it real" and to Agent beef up your application stats so you won't have to worry so much about URM's!!!

my app stats should be fine

Then, you'll be fine.

Gowdah: Fight the power, my friend. Fight the power.

i wasnt worried about myself..

i worry for the children..

*cries for the children*

babywill.jpg