PCSOM - (Pikeville) Interview Discussion thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spicedmanna

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For discussion of the school noted above for INTERVIEW DATES ONLY!. Threads will be merged in here if they are created on their own. If you are looking for the general discussion thread, please check here to find the appropriate thread.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know what the Pikeville interview is like; open file, how many peeps (interviewers and people invited on each interview day), stressful or chill...etc?

Ive been hearing the term "open file" frequently along with interviews threads. What does that actually mean?

Members don't see this ad :)
Open file just means that the people that are interviewing you know your stats (MCAT and so on), and may or may not use this info in the interview. Closed file, if that is the term, means the interviewers know nothing or little about your application.

Open file just means that the people that are interviewing you know your stats (MCAT and so on), and may or may not use this info in the interview. Closed file, if that is the term, means the interviewers know nothing or little about your application.

That's what I was assuming. Thanks.

applicants,
please do yourself and your furture medical aspirations a favor, DO NOT ENTER PCSOM. There are much better schools located in this area. I speak (type) from a base of several third, fourth, and alums of Pikeville. The basic education is ok, but the politics and administration will make this experience the worst of your life. Choose a school who's administrative and clinical staff spend more time supporting students rather than debilitating and humiliating the student body. Good luck in your choice.

I know several PCSOM alumni and they had NOTHING negative to say about the school. They are in their residency right now..about to begin fellowships. I am really close to one of them so if she had a problem with the school, she would have told me. Every school has it's imperfections with administration. Just double check everything and be persistant and you'll be fine anywhere. Best wishes to all applying!

I see that several interview invites have been sent out as they are already acknowledged on the main interview thread. Could you guys tell me how you received them (mail, email, phone call) and when you all got them. Thanks. I keep hearing about this yellow post card. Im not too sure if I ever got one. And I always get the answer machine when I try calling to the admissions office. All I know is that they already cashed my check in late July. Its all about patience I guess.

applicants,
please do yourself and your furture medical aspirations a favor, DO NOT ENTER PCSOM. There are much better schools located in this area. I speak (type) from a base of several third, fourth, and alums of Pikeville. The basic education is ok, but the politics and administration will make this experience the worst of your life. Choose a school who's administrative and clinical staff spend more time supporting students rather than debilitating and humiliating the student body. Good luck in your choice.

Sounds like you have a personal problem with the school and otherwise know little about it. For people interested in furthering their mission, this is the only school for them; all schools have politics, and as professional adults, we deal with this. For people not interested in furthering the PCSOM mission, I agree pikeville would not be the right place to fulfill your "medical aspirations".

"The mission of Pikeville College School of Osteopathic Medicine is to provide men and women with an osteopathic medical education that emphasizes primary care, encourages research, promotes lifelong scholarly activity, and produces graduates who are committed to serving the health care needs of communities in Eastern Kentucky and other Appalachian regions."- http://pcsom.pc.edu/about/index.htm

the last application cycle my interview was open file, if that helps anyone

Sounds like you have a personal problem with the school and otherwise know little about it. For people interested in furthering their mission, this is the only school for them; all schools have politics, and as professional adults, we deal with this. For people not interested in furthering the PCSOM mission, I agree pikeville would not be the right place to fulfill your "medical aspirations".

"The mission of Pikeville College School of Osteopathic Medicine is to provide men and women with an osteopathic medical education that emphasizes primary care, encourages research, promotes lifelong scholarly activity, and produces graduates who are committed to serving the health care needs of communities in Eastern Kentucky and other Appalachian regions."- http://pcsom.pc.edu/about/index.htm

The opinions expressed are those of a consortium of current third/fourth years and alum. Each of us are looking to assit those who could find a place where learning and growth are encouraged and nourished. Each school has its challenges, PCSOM has its true agenda, which is other then what is stated by website or other printed material. It does not support its students or local community. The school has changed from what I personally experienced four years ago. The military charge must be replaced with an educational model.

Again, the basic science educators, are just that, educators. The clinical science and administration look to reap benifit from position.

hey everyone. I got an interview at Pikeville on this friday. I'm really excited. Wish me luck. I figured I didnt want the last post on this tread to be some toolish comment about the school.

hey everyone. I got an interview at Pikeville on this friday. I'm really excited. Wish me luck. I figured I didnt want the last post on this tread to be some toolish comment about the school.

Well I agree about the last comment on the page, and GOOD LUCK with the interview. Be honest and explain why you are who you are in the realm of wanting to pursue medicine and you will be fine, if you made it to the interview portion they are just trying to finalize your profile to make sure you are a fit. You will do fine and you will know by next week at this time if you are in!

BUMP (Bring Up My Post for the newcomers) from Pikeville Class of 2012 for more positive talk.

I know that scdocusc said he/she has an interview this friday. Any news on other interview invites from Pikeville yet? Any info would be great...