Quoted: D in organic chemistry

Doodledog

Escape artist
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it possible at all to get into a medical school with a D in Organic Chemistry? I have tried to take this class once and ended up droping it because I didn't do so well at the beginging of the semester and I couldn't learn anything from the professor, she just wasn't a good teacher. Now I am taking it a second time and failed the first test and didn't do great on the second. The highest possible grade I can make now is a C, which I would be happy with, but I would have to make A's on all the other tests. If something happens and I were to end up with a D in the class, will any school accept that? I don't mind where the school is-here or carribean, just as long as I get in somewhere. I prefer not to retake it again, I already have had to put off medical school and I really don't want to do it again. Thank you.

When adcoms look at grades, it is certainly true that we take note of grades below a B and grades in chemistry and biology classes. A grade below a B in these will make us look at the overall grade pattern and the whole application. Was this an anomaly - did they get good grades in all their other chemistry classes? Was it a freshman? Etc. We evaluate the whole application and don't dismiss an application due to any ONE grade. If everyone who'd ever gotten a C in a chemistry or biology class were not to be admitted to med school, even the top med schools would have some pretty empty classrooms.

However, it is certainly true that a D in organic needs to be "fixed" in some way. First, you shold consider retaking it or a similar class to demonstrate your ability to handle the course work. Taking biochem for example and doing well would be important. If you wish to apply this year and dont' have time to retake it, then you will need to be sure you have other good science grades and a good set of science MCAT scores as part of your application. Beyond that you need to look at your overall grade point and application. Is the D a single "red flag" or is it something that is part of a pattern? Be honest about this evaluation.

As always, no one can say if you will get in this year as we don't have access to your whole application or to the opinions of literally thousands of admissions committee members. But I am sure that no one grade rules out getting accepted in the US or elsewhere.

Members don't see this ad.

For the OP:

I got this encouraging note from an SDN veteran:

You might tell the person who asked about this that I actually got an F in organic the first time that I took it. I retook it and got a B and then another B in organic II.

I'm an MS 2 now

Note however, that they retook it, which is the key here as you indicated you don't wish to do that.

I received a D in organic chemistry II the first time around, retook the course, and ended up with a C. I am now a first year DO student, who received four acceptances.

I got a B- in the first semester of orgo, a B+ in the orgo lab course, and a C+ in the second semester of orgo. And look at me, I'm now an MS-1, honoring and high-passing a few courses.

If you do miserably on all your pre-med courses, then that is clearly a problem--why should anyone admit you on the basis of the poor grades? If the tables were turned, I doubt that you'd admit someone who got Cs and below in their pre-med courses.

However, if you're on the ADCOM and someone is applying with a C in one pre-med course, and A's in all the others, I'd be inclined to grant them an interview, to get to know them better, and try to figure out what happened.

Hope that helps

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi to the OP:

I was an organic chemist and taught organic chemistry before going to medical school. I have two thoughts for you:

1) You clearly need to change your study habits. I don't know what you're doing to study for your organic course, but it's quite obviously not working if your likely outcome is a second D. Talk to some of your classmates or upperclassmen who you know did well in organic chemistry, consider hiring a tutor, or talk to your current professor. I wrote a post about how to succeed in organic chemistry in the MCAT subforum a while back that you might find helpful.

2) *Your attitude* is the single biggest predictor of your personal success, not your teacher's ability to teach. I realize that some teachers are better than others, and I fully believe you when you say that your organic teacher is awful. But you will not get very far in school or in life if you limit yourself to only succeeding when you have great teachers. I can pretty well promise you that you will have other poor teachers after this one, and you cannot expect to become a physician if you just throw your hands up and get a D any time the teacher is not good.

Best of luck to you. :)

Just to add on to everyone else, I do empathize with your situation. And to add on to the reply above, I would highly recommend you seek help from outside sources. Most organic chemistry courses have TA's. Use them. Also, most professors have an open-door policy where you can go to ask questions. Do not be afraid to ask questions. If you are, the only thing limiting your success, is yourself.

I took orgo as a college soph and was a terrible student...didn't go to class, didn't study (it was intimidating and I felt overwhelmed), barely went to lab...so I got a D....next term not much change so I withdrew. Took the courses again over the summer...better habits and attitude but still got two C's. Didn't get into med school first time (no interviews, even). Went to grad school in Microbiology and had 3.8+ GPA plus lots of research in grad school. Got into med school 2nd try. Did fairly well in med school (but not AOA) and did more research in field of interest (ophtho) and got residency slot...that was almost 20 years ago....took a lot of extra work and sheer determination but it can be done