*** Official NSU-COM Class of 2012 ***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SurgMD

I mean SurgDO
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
edit

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I was waiting for enough NSUCOM acceptances to start this thread!! :laugh:

edit

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
There's nothing wrong with excitement....you made it into med school!! :D

Hooray, I can post in this thread now. :D

congrats guys.pretty sure u'll like it here :)

I guess I might as well chime in...I'm not 100% sure I'll be heading to Nova (I've still got active applications at 6 other schools and a hold at AZCOM), but I've payed my deposit and all that stuff, so I might as well join in the fun!

Nate.

hey everyone. Not sure where I am going yet. I am from Texas and had 3 interviews in state, got accepted into Nova last week. So I am still waiting to hear from the in state schools but Nova is definately my top choice for out of state schools. So there is actually a pretty good chance that I might end up going here. Pretty exciting!

edit

Last edited:
I know it is early, but has anyone made a Facebook group for the c/o 2012?

no but I would love to join it. Also, for those accepted and have already graduated, do we still have to send all our transcripts to NSU? All my grades are on my AACOMAS, but the letter from Marla says that we have to still resubmit them to NSU. Do I really have to do this or is this just something they tell all their accepted people?

edit

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats guys, I got accepted to Nova 3 weeks ago and cancelled all my other interviews (DO and MD). There's no other place in the country where you can go to a sunny beach in the middle of January and get an excellent medical education! And did you see this month's Maxim...for those who like to party as well as go to school, Miami is the number one party city in the U.S.

- Vic

I know it is early, but has anyone made a Facebook group for the c/o 2012?

I was waiting for there to be enough people on this side to start the Facebook group. I can start getting the info together now if you guys are ready!

I'm down to join. Just copy and paste the link

hey guys i couldn't find a thread for NSU interview feedback but I thought I'd ask you all since you're already in...I just got my interview invite today...any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Relax, the interview at NSU-COM will be the most relaxed interview you will ever have. I had a group interview by 3 docs and basically we just had a 15-20 minute conversation where they got to know me. Here's what I suggest:

1. Know yourself really well (grades, MCAT, volunteer or work experience)
2. Know why you want to be a doctor
3. Know why you want to be a DO as opposed to an MD

And I would suggest staying with some M1 or M2 students. That is what I did and it really helped me to decide that NSU-COM was going to be my #1 choice...besides the location:thumbup:

edit

Last edited:
i've applied to NSU. could anyone share stats? thanks!

3.5 overall 3.39 science (upward trend 4.0 last 4 semesters)... 27O mcat.

GPA: 3.7 overall, 3.8 science
MCAT: 27Q
Really active in my fraternity and the Pre-med Honor Society, was involved in medical research, volunteered weekly at the nursing home, and shadowed several DO's and MD's

Bottom line: Most of the DO schools are more concerned about accepting students that they think will have excellent doctor/patient skills thus they look for a more well-rounded individual who has good communication skills. They are less concerned about stats but you DO need to meet the minimum requirements before they will consider you for an interview. I think the minimum is like a 3.4 GPA and a 24 MCAT. Then you would just have to kick butt on your interview.

Hope this helps!

Does anyone know how the clinical rotation sites are at NOVA

Just wanted to pop in and add some hope for those concerned about getting in with a low GPA. I was accepted a few months ago but I had:

3.11 Overall GPA (I had 3 F's in my first few semesters but mostly A's the last 2 - 3 years)
3.67 Science GPA
28 MCAT

Congrats on anyone accepted, I will see you there in August
And Good Luck and Relax to anyone interviewing. The interview was seriously relaxed!!!

For those who sent their deposits, did you hear anything from NSU after sending it?

Hello everyone!

I was just accepted to NSU yesterday and I couldn't be more excited. For those worried about their stats, here were mine:

GPA: 3.4
Science GPA: 3.0
MCAT: 22S

I had over 100 hours of volunteer work/clinical research in an inner-city ER, as well as over 50 hours of shadowing experience (both DO's and MD's). I am also the president of the pre-med club at Drexel, I am a musician (on scholarship for voice and viola), and work at a hospital near my house as a unit secretary.

That's about it. I can't wait to go to Nova. What are the best/most competitively priced apartment complexes in the area?

And also, is anyone going to be taking advantage of the health professions scholarship through the military? I'm wrapping up final discussions with my naval recruiter this week, so I wanted to know if anyone else was doing something similar.

Congrats, everyone!

I just found out a week ago..i'm in!!! and am super excited to meet everyone..this was one of my top choices..and this is probably the best christmas present ever..k i know i'm getting like way too excited..but i admit it..i can't wait to be a part of nsu! congrats to the rest of you!

For paying your deposit can you do it online or should call and pay over the phone.
Thanks

Just received the call this morning! Looking forward to meeting everyone. Does anyone know of cheap nearby apartments, I plan on making the move from Indiana in late June early July.

Well, I've shaken the analysis paralysis and made a decision. NSU it will be :)

See you all in a few short months. Each day seems to tick by, but eight months I'll be begging for this much free time!

I too will be apartment hunting. If anyone has any suggestions for reasonable one bedrooms I welcome a PM.

Look forward to meeting all of you :)

Hey guys..Im currently a M2

apartments that are close..are not cheap..but can be bearable with a roommate! Im only paying 500/month got my own bathroom too.. in a 3/2. 2 roommates that are engaged so i get my own bathroom. 10 minute walking from school..or 4 minute bike ..
in a condo called royal grand (all of which are privately owned i think, but alot of those owners are leasing...

Some popular apartment complexes are...Palm trace landings, Sunforest, Sundance (condos)..Cameron Cove..

CC, Sundance, Sunforest are all directly across the street from school..PTL is about a 5 min drive.

congrats again..go on a vacation b4 school starts!

Howdy Ya'll!!!!

Got my acceptance this week, so excited. Had acceptances from 3 other DO schools but NSU was my first choice after the interview, it just blew the other schools away. Can't wait to meet ya'll. It's nice to see there's a few other Texans in the mix, and at least one other Aggie! I think someone was asking about stats, my GPA was 3.0, MCAT 28Q. A little low I know, but I'm a non traditional app so I think my work experience was really taken into consideration. I've been a rural healthcare consultant for 6 years.

Allison, I'm applying for the HPSP as well, and would love to get your take on things and experiences thus far.

Congratulations to everyone, I'm really looking forward to meeting you all.

Howdy Ya'll!!!!

Got my acceptance this week, so excited. Had acceptances from 3 other DO schools but NSU was my first choice after the interview, it just blew the other schools away. Can't wait to meet ya'll. It's nice to see there's a few other Texans in the mix, and at least one other Aggie! I think someone was asking about stats, my GPA was 3.0, MCAT 28Q. A little low I know, but I'm a non traditional app so I think my work experience was really taken into consideration. I've been a rural healthcare consultant for 6 years.

Allison, I'm applying for the HPSP as well, and would love to get your take on things and experiences thus far.

Congratulations to everyone, I'm really looking forward to meeting you all.

congrats!!!

I ran into some problems paying my deposit online, so I called and did it over the phone. Trouble is, I did it on the 14th and the funds have yet to come out of my account. I called and left a message but have yet to hear back. I would hate to lose my spot because of a paperwork error. Anyone else have a sim' situation?

I ran into some problems paying my deposit online, so I called and did it over the phone. Trouble is, I did it on the 14th and the funds have yet to come out of my account. I called and left a message but have yet to hear back. I would hate to lose my spot because of a paperwork error. Anyone else have a sim' situation?

sorta...I payed online with a credit card on 10/10...the funds got withdrawn and everything but I started getting letters from NSU that I had a balance in my account and what MEANT to call and check on this, but life got crazy! My account still shows that $750 surplus...and luckily I have paper print outs of what I payed...so hopefully it'll all be ok...I'm gonna try to call and check tomorrow...

Nate.

I just paid my deposit over the phone today, they are sending me a paper reciept. But I was told don't be surprised if it doesn't show up on my account until sometime in Feb. b/c the purser's office is so backed up right now.

I am very excited about attending Nova. It was my first choice from the very beginning... Is anyone here looking for a roommate? I am. Please let me know.
Email: [email protected]

I am excited about attending NOVA. Nova was my first choice. I am considering a roommate. Has anyone found one yet? Please let me know if anyone needs a roommate.

Email: carson (underscore) _ [email protected]

NSU C/O 2012

sorta...I payed online with a credit card on 10/10...the funds got withdrawn and everything but I started getting letters from NSU that I had a balance in my account and what MEANT to call and check on this, but life got crazy! My account still shows that $750 surplus...and luckily I have paper print outs of what I payed...so hopefully it'll all be ok...I'm gonna try to call and check tomorrow...

Nate.

I paid today and it says that I have a $750 surplus as well. I sent Rachel an email, so we'll see. I had attempted to pay by phone, but somehow, my call was put on hold and I was connected to another student's incoming call! Oh well. What ever happened with your account?

- Alison

has anyone gotten list serv to work yet?? im confused..my email id works..im not sure what the letter about the list serv is regarding..

has anyone gotten list serv to work yet?? im confused..my email id works..im not sure what the letter about the list serv is regarding..

Once you have your NSU e-mail account set up, all you need to do is send Dr. Simpson a quick e-mail saying you're an incoming student and asking to be put on the mailing list. Since he does this all by hand, it may take him a little while to actually add you, but once he does you'll get a confirmation e-mail saying that you are now on the mailing list. I have YET to get any e-mails on the list though, so probably no rush.

Nate.

Hey all...

Anyone know exactly when our orientation starts/what we're doing when we're there? Also, when do we find out our schedules and stuff?

- A

Hey all...

Anyone know exactly when our orientation starts/what we're doing when we're there? Also, when do we find out our schedules and stuff?

- A
The proposed/projected dates are July 28th - Aug 3rd, see here:
http://medicine.nova.edu/forms/academic_calendar.pdf

There was a schedule posted for last year's on the Nova site, but it looks like they've taken it down over the last week or two. The website says they'll have the orientation schedule posted on Feb. 15th.

Hope this helps....

Hey all...

- A

Orientation schedules will be available by Feb 15th. Orientation begins the wekk of July 28th. MEDSTART therefore should be the week before that.

Received my acceptance package today. See you in August.:laugh:

Hello and congrats to all of you. Looking forward to meeting you all in the fall!

I paid today and it says that I have a $750 surplus as well. I sent Rachel an email, so we'll see. I had attempted to pay by phone, but somehow, my call was put on hold and I was connected to another student's incoming call! Oh well. What ever happened with your account?

- Alison

I am a current M1. I got the same blasted account balance every month. Because your deposit goes towards you tuition they just hold it as payment. When you are billed for tuition in the fall it will go away. Every month they do send it to you and yes it gets annoying.