How is the LSU Ochsner program doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brownsdawg

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I met a student from LSU and he didn't seem to have very good things to say about the LSU program in New Orleans. Most of what he said had to do with the fact that they still haven't recovered from Katrina. I know they have to do multiple away rotations in other LA cities. I also heard that they just don't have a big enough patient load in New Orleans to see a good variety of pathology.

Does anyone have any more info about this program? Their website isn't very helpful/updated.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

i would show some caution...on an away rotation i met a recent graduate of Ochsner-LSU and he seemed to be pretty unhappy with his decision to do Ophthalmology...was it him, the training, both? i cant answer that

he could be an outlier...but i dont know i've ever met someone unhappy with their choice of entering Ophtho until I met him

Anyone know anything about Tulane's program, and how it is doing?

Anyone know anything about Tulane's program, and how it is doing?

from my understanding....the program was placed on probation only because the numbers were down 2ndary to the hurricane...Tulane cut the residency from 6 to 4, and University Hospital (the "Charity" hospital system I think they call it) is up and running....so the surgical numbers are very good).

The residency director is rather well known in Glaucoma, the chairmen of the department has been CHAIR since 1970 something...so there is good stability and surgical numbers now. The other benefit that helps with surgical numbers is that there are other hospitals covered giving them rotations in Alexandria LA and Biloxi MS (both VERY drivable)

I think this is a good program that has the potential to be great once full accredation is regranted (expected in Sept 2008...i.e. BEFORE our class starts)

good luck hope this helps

mye eye