how important is undergrad GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bigstix808

Mac Daddy Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok, i'm not even in dental school yet, but i've had a thing for OMFS for quite some time now (shadowed quite a bit). i have been reading about how competitive it is, and yes, i would be ok with a general practice if i never made it into an OMFS program (no flaming please), but i have a concern about my UNDERGRADUATE gpa...

yea, i graduated with a 3.2 cum undergrad, but so far i'm a 4.0 GRADUATE student in biochem (proteomics - luv it!!). i have read that a lot of OMFS programs wont even look at you with out a 3.5 undergrad gpa. what is that all about? does that mean that i'm busting my ass in graduate school to keep up my 4.0, do my research, PUBLISH my thesis, and all for nothing?!?!

does this mean that i could make a 90+ on the boards, have a 3.75+ gpa in dental school, and STILL not have a chance to get in because of my damn UNDERGRADUATE gpa??? what's that all about?

i only ask because i was wanting to stay in GA to practice when i get out of school, and i was looking at Emory for a potential residency...i know it's a few years down the road, but it's never too early to start looking...

any ideas???

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think it matters when applying to 4 year programs. My GPA in undergrad was similar to yours and I got some interviews. I think it definitally affected my application to 6 year programs, but there might have been other factors involved (dental school attended, class rank, ect.). Get a good rank and board scores and you'll have a shot. Get into dental school, do externships, and make sure you even like it. Lots of students go and observe an OMFS residency in full swing (different from observing a private practice OMFS) and they get completely turned off.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a 2.8 undergrad and got into a fairly strong (at the time) 6 year OMS residency. You won't have a problem if you do well enough in dental school.

Reactions: 1 users
I had a 2.8 undergrad and got into a fairly strong (at the time) 6 year OMS residency. You won't have a problem if you do well enough in dental school.

ok..Does that mean under 3.5 will still have a chance in 6yr program if applicants perform well enough in d-school? Can anyone tell me if this is true or not? Thank you.

It totally depends on the program. Some have greater input from the medical school admissions committee than others. At some of the programs, the med school will not admit someone whose undergrad record would not be competitive enough to gain admission to their school. At most programs, it doesn't matter very much.

2.8!! makes me feel better about my chances. what gives?

It totally depends on the program. Some have greater input from the medical school admissions committee than others. At some of the programs, the med school will not admit someone whose undergrad record would not be competitive enough to gain admission to their school. At most programs, it doesn't matter very much.

I was worried that my undergrad gpa is 3.4, so I freaked out little bit. I guess I should do very well in d-school. As always, thanks.

How do graduate degrees (M.S.) factor into the selection process? Not sure if anyone would even know the answer to this. Thanks!

I am also wondering how much undergrad GPA matters for top OMFS programs...Most if not all OMFS programs seem to require undergrad transcript. I feel like they must really care about your undergrad performacne...

When I applied to dental school I had low 3.7 GPA...but after I got in i slacked off and now I have 3.65....is this going to affect my chance for HARVARD ORAL SURGERY?? Some serious comment please..

I am also wondering how much undergrad GPA matters for top OMFS programs...Most if not all OMFS programs seem to require undergrad transcript. I feel like they must really care about your undergrad performacne...

When I applied to dental school I had low 3.7 GPA...but after I got in i slacked off and now I have 3.65....is this going to affect my chance for HARVARD ORAL SURGERY?? Some serious comment please..

Yes, it most certainly will. I heard Harvard oral surgery doesn't even look at you if you have below a 3.99. Good luck!

just curious but specifically which are these programs that have a greater input from the med school admissions committee?

just curious but specifically which are these programs that have a greater input from the med school admissions committee?

I'm curious, too. Anyone??

... for top OMFS programs...

Iwantmydds said:
....is this going to affect my chance for HARVARD ORAL SURGERY...

hmm.... not sure that 'harvard oral surgery' equates to 'top omfs program.'

Don't confuse getting a Harvard MD with getting a Harvard MD in their omfs program. Yes, it's the same degree, but...

Don't confuse getting a Harvard MD with getting a Harvard MD in their omfs program. Yes, it's the same degree, but...
I think IWantMyDDS was being sarcastic.

I think IWantMyDDS was being sarcastic.
Honestly, I was half serious. I don't know to what extent they look at the undergrad GPA. and I'm wondering if undergrad GPA of 3.6~3.7 is a safe zone as in if that's a good start.

I don't know if Harvard oral surgery is the best since there is no published ranking, but I would be very honored to go there.

but?
Do they not take same classes as other traditional med students? I mean they skip some classes that overlap with dental curriculum but other than that, they take same courses and same rotations and what not...