-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Vanderbilt
Started by UMMS FMD
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Not sure either, I would really like to know too. What Ive heard is very good program, great case load, amazing technology, good network, but due to either a lack of crnas or problems with crnas, the hours are at the extreme end for anesthesia residencies and residents put in some crazy hours. Again, just what gets thrown out there, so I want to hear as well - we all know residency is hard work, but again, I am interested in how it stacks up to anesthesia averages. Any moonlighting opportunities?
Can anyone who knows confirm or deny?
Can anyone who knows confirm or deny?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
At my interview, I didn't get the impression from the residents that they're putting in extreme hours and in fact they have quite a few CRNAs/SRNAs working at the hospital. The chief resident who gave us our tour said they're all very proactive in ensuring 100% compliance with ACGME hours requirements. While it's not a cush program by any means, it doesn't seem particularly onerous. One of the attendings said that the residents leave the ORs at approximately 4:30, on average.
Overall, I was very impressed with the program. Just making sure I didn't miss anything. My correspondence with residents post-interview has been 100% positive.
Overall, I was very impressed with the program. Just making sure I didn't miss anything. My correspondence with residents post-interview has been 100% positive.
Not sure either, I would really like to know too. What Ive heard is very good program, great case load, amazing technology, good network, but due to either a lack of crnas or problems with crnas, the hours are at the extreme end for anesthesia residencies and residents put in some crazy hours. Again, just what gets thrown out there, so I want to hear as well - we all know residency is hard work, but again, I am interested in how it stacks up to anesthesia averages. Any moonlighting opportunities?
Can anyone who knows confirm or deny?
Moonlighting is offered. I'd also agree there is no shortage of CRNAs.
Does anyone know the story on pain management at Vandy? I've heard that the department is weak on pain, and a review of their dept website doesn't show a division of pain management. Where do residents go for their pain experience, particularly chronic/interventional?
Most of the faculty seem like they have little experience. Few of the faculty if any have published in big journals. The new chair is essentially an unknown nationally. Good clinical experience in a cool town with good equipment. Oh yea, don't go for the football games.
ohh...this thread again...
2 words>>>>>>>>> Vanderbilt Syndrome
2 words>>>>>>>>> Vanderbilt Syndrome
ohh...this thread again...
2 words>>>>>>>>> Vanderbilt Syndrome
At the risk of sounding dumb...
What'cha talking about?
At the risk of sounding dumb...
What'cha talking about?
Never mind...did a search and answered my own question. 🙂
For those of you who don't know what Mil's talking about, look at this thread...
While I have neither interviewed nor visited Vanderbilt, I wouldn't spend too much time on worrying about this "syndrome." The program is solid from what I hear. But by no means is it great. It's simply above average. I don't understand why people who go there would think they're "better than the rest." Those individuals, if they exist, aren't very understanding of the fact that there are much BIGGER named programs out there (e.g., Mayo) with phenomenal clinical experience and professionalism that goes beyond belief. So, if those individuals who have the "Vandy Syndrome" take a step outside of good ol' Nashville and open their eyes and ears, maybe their syndrome will be alleviated. Just one person's thought, mate.
Cheers.
Cheers.
I appreciate Mil's input on the perceived "Vanderbilt Syndrome" but I think that it is not something that relevant to our current residents. Vanderbilt is a very good program, one that I'm happy to be a part of. I have yet to come into contact with a resident who thinks our program is superior to the Mayos etc. outside of Nashville but all feel confident in their training.
Our critical care is very strong. Our peds, CV, transplant are strong. Pain is a weak point, but improving. There is a pain fellowship in the works and our acute pain service is getting busier by the day.
For all of you interested, I believe that you will be happy here. Intern year is more grueling than at many institutions, but I believe it is worth it. This was my #1 choice over Stanford, Mayo etc and I have not regretted it. Good luck with the match all.
Our critical care is very strong. Our peds, CV, transplant are strong. Pain is a weak point, but improving. There is a pain fellowship in the works and our acute pain service is getting busier by the day.
For all of you interested, I believe that you will be happy here. Intern year is more grueling than at many institutions, but I believe it is worth it. This was my #1 choice over Stanford, Mayo etc and I have not regretted it. Good luck with the match all.
Great place love it here
Last edited:
Hey kids, I know it's coming down to crunch time and you guys are plugging a huge list of extremely similar programs into your carefully constructed spreadsheets so that Excel can tell you where you will spend the next four years of your lives. Good luck with that.
I thought I would offer up a few more data points to plug into the equation before you submit the Almighty List. Our chiefs have been hard at work, mostly at establishing ways that we can get paid good money for doing work that is suspiciously similar to the work we are obliged to do as part of our residency. Our most recent additions include a 4-8 PM weekdays shift available to everyone with a license, including 2nd semester CA-1s! We have also recently changed a weekend call shift to a home call moonlighting shift!
Just thought that you guys should have all the info before you send iit in. Good luck, I look forward to meeting you all.👍
I thought I would offer up a few more data points to plug into the equation before you submit the Almighty List. Our chiefs have been hard at work, mostly at establishing ways that we can get paid good money for doing work that is suspiciously similar to the work we are obliged to do as part of our residency. Our most recent additions include a 4-8 PM weekdays shift available to everyone with a license, including 2nd semester CA-1s! We have also recently changed a weekend call shift to a home call moonlighting shift!
Just thought that you guys should have all the info before you send iit in. Good luck, I look forward to meeting you all.👍
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey kids, I know it's coming down to crunch time and you guys are plugging a huge list of extremely similar programs into your carefully constructed spreadsheets so that Excel can tell you where you will spend the next four years of your lives. Good luck with that.
I thought I would offer up a few more data points to plug into the equation before you submit the Almighty List. Our chiefs have been hard at work, mostly at establishing ways that we can get paid good money for doing work that is suspiciously similar to the work we are obliged to do as part of our residency. Our most recent additions include a 4-8 PM weekdays shift available to everyone with a license, including 2nd semester CA-1s! We have also recently changed a weekend call shift to a home call moonlighting shift!
Just thought that you guys should have all the info before you send iit in. Good luck, I look forward to meeting you all.👍
Hmmm....interesting 😀
Hey kids, I know it's coming down to crunch time and you guys are plugging a huge list of extremely similar programs into your carefully constructed spreadsheets so that Excel can tell you where you will spend the next four years of your lives. Good luck with that.
I thought I would offer up a few more data points to plug into the equation before you submit the Almighty List. Our chiefs have been hard at work, mostly at establishing ways that we can get paid good money for doing work that is suspiciously similar to the work we are obliged to do as part of our residency. Our most recent additions include a 4-8 PM weekdays shift available to everyone with a license, including 2nd semester CA-1s! We have also recently changed a weekend call shift to a home call moonlighting shift!
Just thought that you guys should have all the info before you send iit in. Good luck, I look forward to meeting you all.👍
If that dosn't seal the deal on the UNC vs Vandy thing we had going on, I dont know what will.
ohh...this thread again...
2 words>>>>>>>>> Vanderbilt Syndrome
Has anyone heard of the Emory Syndrome??
yeah, the moonlighting opportunities have definitely increased
Has anyone heard of the Emory Syndrome??
I've heard that the Mayo Syndrome is particularly nasty.