Kaplan Home study or Full Version Books

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bnoosha

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone used the "Kaplan Home Study" Book series?

If so did you find this helpful? Was the material covered sufficient? Or should I go with the full package of 8 books by subject.

I would also appreciate any additional comments about kaplan and study aids.

Thanks so much

:)

Members don't see this ad.

I have both sets of books and recommend you go with the full package. Those go along with the video lectures very well and are much more comprehensive.

Pinkertinkle has evidence (260+) to support his/her advice.
That being said - if u only have time for one series, and dont care much for boring lectures, i would recommend the home study series. The Home series books are detailed and well-organized so that everything u need to know about a certain organ system is packaged together. So if u paid attention in 2nd year and don't need to relearn everything from scratch, and would rather proceed to kicking ass on ur NBME's, I would recommend u pick up the Home Study series. They were my main resource, and had the answer for almost every question on my Step 1 exam.

I was wondering is the Kaplan series varies much from year to year, I have all 8 books but they are from 2002, is there much use in getting a new set?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
I had pretty much the same question. I've found the lecture notes for sale online, and also the home study series, but is it worth it still to buy the lecture notes via ebay, etc. if you don't buy the videos from kaplan online? And if you do buy the videos... do they include the aforementioned lecture notes?

Last question: Does anybody know the publication dates for the Home Study Series? I found some good deals on 2007 editions, but I was hesitant, as I didn't want the 2008 edition to come out in a few weeks. Not that there'll be a big difference, but somehow it'd still be irksome.

As a side note: I think you're both pretty qualified to answer, I've been up and down the 2007 score thread a few times... Congrats!

Last question: Does anybody know the publication dates for the Home Study Series? I found some good deals on 2007 editions, but I was hesitant, as I didn't want the 2008 edition to come out in a few weeks. Not that there'll be a big difference, but somehow it'd still be irksome.

Did you or anyone else figure this out?

My understanding is that there are three black versions an d one green edition:

Black version with old Kaplan logo: c 2005
Black version with new Kaplan logo: c 2005
Black version with new Kaplan logo: c 2007 ?
Green version: c 2007

Is this correct? My only issue is the third one down... not sure it exists. Online a lot of people say they have the black 2007 edition but I've never seen one in person with a copyright of 2007. I know the others exist.

Is this correct? My only issue is the third one down... not sure it exists. Online a lot of people say they have the black 2007 edition but I've never seen one in person with a copyright of 2007. I know the others exist.

Green. December 2007.

I did speak with Kaplan people and was told that a new edition is coming out this year, but i did not want to wait....

Green. December 2007.

I did speak with Kaplan people and was told that a new edition is coming out this year, but i did not want to wait....

So wait, the green is copyrighted December 2007 or just 2007...? I'm trying to see if it is different than some of the 2007 black editions that are available.

Green. December 2007.

any idea when? I'll be taking my Step probably in late january or mid february. unless it's coming out soon i'll just pick up the 07 edition.

I have the third one down, as does a friend who took the test last year. Black with new logo, c2007. I haven't seen the Green c2007 books, and don't know if there is a difference.